Echoes, Break Ups n' Inner Turmoil

5 Stages On A Journal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunday 

 

 

Karina's POV

 

Since it is a sunday a lot of our friends will be definitely coming to see Winter. I was talking to Chaewon earlier, she already got back from LA last Friday and she will be seeing us today, even Yeji and Ryujin will be visiting.

 

 

Chaewon is kind of being paranoid, she asked me a favor to give Winter some sort of a hint about who she is and how is she related to her. That's what I've been thinking of since last night. I am waiting for the right timing to tell Winter about Chaewon. I want to refresh her memory about her because there is a possiblity that she will only remember her as the girl that she met at the vinyl shop.

 

 

 

 

11:00 am

 

Winter and I have been doing her walking rehab for almost fifteen minutes now. I was trying to help her train without using the walker."How are your legs, does it feel sore?"

 

 

"No they're just fine."

 

 

"You are improving so much." She was gripping my hand and she already knows how to balance herself again."Yeah I can stand on my own now."

 

 

The doctor allowed her to do this every morning as part of her exercise. Being unconscious for seven months made all of her muscles stiff and the other effect of the brain injury is the loss of her balance. She has to practice everyday so she can easily relearn how to walk without using the adult walker and assistance.

 

 

"I am so proud of you, you are becoming more stable now, you can even balance on your own. You are doing so good." I complimented Winter as I guide her while she walked back and forth in the room. "What's that?" She asked. "I said you are more stable now, konti nalang makakalakad ka na talaga without the walker."

 

 

"Yeah, thanks to you kasi ang tiyaga mo."

 

 

"You do not have to thank me, kulang pa to."

 

 

"It's not your obligation Rina. Let's sit down now pinag papawisan ka na."

 

 

"You are my obligation Winter, nagkamali lang talaga ako. You want to sit now, are you tired?"

 

 

"Yeah, I'm tired but I feel better. My muscles are not that tight anymore, I can easily move my legs."

 

 

"I told you, you will soon get there. Where do you want to sit, on the bed, recliner or there at the couch?"

 

 

"Uhm I don't want to stay on the bed, I want to read a book." I helped her walk towards the recliner chair."I want to sit there on the couch, you can stay there with me."

 

 

"Gusto mo tabi tayo?" I asked her with a smile on my face. I let her sit on the left portion of the couch near the lamp."Yeah, you can lay your head on my lap." I was surprised with what she said, because she seldom do this, she is always grumpy and gets very annoyed with me.

 

 

"Oh my god you are becoming sweeter by the day."

 

 

"Ang epal mo I'm just gonna read my book, and I assume that you also want to rest. Don't give it other meaning nanaman."

 

 

"Alright calm down I will stay with you on the couch, let's just pretend that I don't have my own comfortable bed where I can also rest."

 

 

"Edi wag na nga, ang tagal mo pa dyan!" She yelled annoyingly at me. I could see that she's mad and serious. There are times that Winter is being so grumpy and short tempered, but I'm starting to get used to it.

 

 

"Ito na nga, I just need a minute I'm coming. Winter ang sungit mo naman you don't have to shout, I'm just getting you pillows and your book." I placed a pillow on her lap and I gave her the throw blanket. "Use this it's cold."

 

 

"I'm sorry ang kulit mo kasi." I went to the table to check the stack of books. I was focused on separating all the books na natapos na niya basahin, I noticed that she has read three out of the seven books that ate Taeyeon brought for her.

 

 

"Magpalit ka muna ng shirt." I thought she said something. "Come again?"  

 

 

"I said change your shirt kasi pawis ka na." I checked the back of my shirt, it's still dry and it's not sweaty."Hindi naman, I'm fine, don't worry about it."

 

 

"You are done with the Ghosting, this is your fourth book, which one do you like between these two?" I showed her the title of the two books that I was holding. She was scowling and trying to read them. "Last night." Winter mumbled. I was reading the book blurb, the story appears to be interesting, it revolves around Sappho."You think it's a good read?" She asked me while while I sat on the opposite side of the couch. "Last Night at the Telegraph Club" I read it aloud before I handled it to her. "Hmm yeah I think so. Settle down now, here you may start reading. Tell me if you need anything I'll be right here."

 

 

I got my phone and I also settled on my seat opposite to hers. "Rina you can lay your head here while I read." She pat the pillow on her lap. "Are you sure, how about your tube? You might pull it. Bawal."

 

 

"It's fine it's here on the right, hindi naman natatamaan." I stood up and fixed the feeding tube that's resting near her arm."You have to take care of this okay, it's dangerous when you pull it up." I scooted over her and I layed my head on her lap. "Tell me if you are uncomfortable."

 

 

"I'm okay, dito ka lang."She looked down at me with a smile and I felt her hand through my hair gently."You go to sleep, parang maaga ka nagising." She whispered softly.

 

 

"I have enough sleep but if you keep doing that, I might fall asleep again." I touched her face before I closed my eyes."It's okay maaga pa naman, you can nap."  

 

 

"Our friends will be here later this afternoon, they want to see you."

 

 

"Mukang madami sila na pupunta today sabi ni Ning." I looked up to her while she kept on my hair."What's the prank ba, I didn't get what Ning said, sinasabi ni Gi na wag niya gawin but Ning is very stubborn just like you."

 

 

"She wants to prank Ry, I'll pretend that I remember everyone in the room except her. Kaya madami silang pupunta."

 

 

"But you know that only three to four people are allowed to be inside your room."

 

 

"Ning and Heejin already talked to the nurses, it's fine hindi naman magtatagal yung prank irreveal din nila kagad kay Ry."

 

 

" so you are going to do it today? Oh no."

 

 

"Yeah because Ry just got back yesterday from Cebu. What's wrong?"

 

 

"Hindi ka ba mapapagod? This is the first time that Ry will see you after how many months, sobrang concerned and dedicated niya sayo when you were unconscious tapos ipprank niyo kagad nila Ning?"

 

 

"Haha yeah, it's because we miss her. It's like a welcome home party."

 

 

"Ibang klase talaga kayo, why do I feel like you will do this until you are in your thirties? The more na nakilala namin si Heejin through the years, we fully understand kung bakit niyo siya friend kahit kalaban niyo siya lagi sa football match when you were in grade school and high school. She's like you and Ryujin pero mas scary and daring."

 

 

"Ngayon mo lang na-realize? Medyo nagbago and nag behave na nga siya eh hindi na extreme si Heejin."

 

 

"Nag behave na siya now? Okay. But do not stress yourself later okay wag ka masyado magulo and mag salita, you might have a seizure."

 

 

"Yeah hindi naman. Hindi na daw ba mawawala yung seizures ko? It's hard and I don't like it."

 

 

"You can avoid things that might trigger your seizures. It's another side effect of your brain injury and they're still trying to assess kung mawawala pa, I'm really sorry. Kaya dapat talaga mag iingat ka."

 

 

"Pero sinabi naman I will be able to go back to my normal routine and I can work pag wala na talaga totally yung natirang maliliit na blood clots."

 

 

"Yeah you can surely go back to normal and ang bilis daw ng progress mo. You will be able to walk na and your speech is also getting better."

 

 

"Hanggang kailan tayo ganito Karina?" This is the question from Winter that I have been avoiding. This topic reminds me of how we are both approaching the end. The reality that I have to let her go so that she can start a new life. I cannot keep on steering away from this topic, she's recovering so fast at mas nagiging clear na din yung way of thinking niya. This time I must give her an answer."Until you get better, like you won't need any assistance, I want to see you doing well, like you going back to work and doing the things that made you happy before the accident."

 

 

"Ayaw ko kasi masanay na ganito tayo. We are not together."

 

 

"Pup I always tell you this. I will stay with you until you want me to, it's your decision to make. Hindi kasi kita pwede pabayaan ng ganito pa, especially now that you are having seizures. Tapos laging hindi available si tita and ate Taeyeon because of work. Ako nalang yung magbabantay sayo."

 

 

"Eh pano ka naman nun? Tapos yung work mo pa nadadamay na."

 

 

"I'm working here, nakikita mo naman. Wag mo na ako isipin, I will be okay. You are the priority here."

 

 

"Hindi kasi pwedeng ganun and sabi mo If I want you to stay?"

 

 

"Yeah if you don't need me here and ayaw mo na nandito ako, I will leave."

 

 

"What do you mean by that and why do you always say that?"

 

 

"I hurt you so bad, I know that it is impossible for you to get back with me. I broke you, it will not be easy for you to trust me again kaya I already accepted it na hindi mo na ako babalikan."

 

 

"I don't know what to tell you. I still love you but I never see myself being in a relationship with you again. It might be hostile for us."

 

 

"I get what you mean."

 

 

"I don't know, madali lang kasi sabihin pero hindi natin alam ano mangyayari kaya bahala na. Napag usapan na din natin to, can we just enjoy the remaining time that we have?"

 

 

"Yeah sure, I wish you to be well and happy. I just want to see you getting better hanggang sa kaya mo na mag isa. You've gone through so much and kasalanan ko lahat yun."

 

 

"Well it's done, hayaan mo na. Hanggang kailan pa ba ako dito sa hospital? I really want to go home."

 

 

"The doctor will inform us this week or next week if you're gonna get discharged. Where do you want to stay when you get out, sure ka na sasama ka sa condo natin or you want to stay at your house?"

 

 

"Hanggang kailan ba yung ganito like puro mga therapy and hospital? Ayaw ko na ng ganito Karina, I felt like I am missing out on a lot of things."

 

 

"Mabilis naman yung progress and for sure makakabawi ka din. If we stay in the condo, mas malapit sa hospital that's the advantage. I will be the one to go with you sa lahat ng appointments like check up and I'll take care of you, kahit may nurse."

 

 

"You know what ang unfair sayo nun, why do you have to do this kahit alam mo naman na hindi na magiging tayo?"

 

 

"I am aware of that but, gusto ko talaga bumawi. Kasalanan ko why all of it happened. I made such huge mistakes, sinayang ko lahat especially you, I almost had you as my wife."

 

 

"Stop blaming yourself tapos na yun. Wag mo na isipin. Ano ba kasi yung sasabihin mo sakin related to what happened?"

 

 

"You have to get well muna, I want you to be physically and mentally healthy. You are my priority, dapat bumalik ka na sa normal. So don't think about other things yet, do it one at a time. Okay?"

 

 

"Yeah okay. I will stay with you in the condo, let's just enjoy the time before we finally part ways."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Winter's POV

 

 

"Rina?" Kanina ko pa siya kinakalabit pero hindi siya sumasagot sakin. "Hey Rina? Ang bilis mo naman natulog."

 

 

Nag uusap lang kami natulog na ata tong naka higa sa lap ko. "Gising ka ba?" I was tapping her arm pero wala pa din siyang reaction nakapikit lang siya. "Hala, naging frozen ka na?"

 

 

"Karina"

 

 

Bigla siyang nag iba ng pwesto, she went to lie on her side and she was covering her face with her hands. "Ano ginagawa mo?" Sinisilip ko siya pero ayaw niya tanggalin yung kamay niya. "Karina wag ka malikot baka mahulog ka sa couch."

 

 

"I feel so terrible. I almost had you and now you are gone."

 

 

"Hey oh god stop crying. Ikaw naman may gusto nun eh and we cannot be together Karina we need some time apart."

 

 

"Yeah I know, I just feel sad na naging ganito tayo, I thought we're gonna grow old together."

 

 

"Bakit ka ba kasi nakipag break tapos ngayon ganyan ka, sobrang nagsisisi ka? Ang labo mo."

 

 

*crying*  "Pup I hope you understand hindi ko pa nga pwedeng sabihin yung totoo now that you are recovering, kasi baka makadagdag pa sa stress mo. Sinabi na nga ng doctor na dapat clear yung mind mo while you recover. Hindi ka nga pwede sa mga bad news and stuff kasi baka mag cause ng seizures sayo pag nastress ka."

 

 

"Is this about you? Are you hiding something from me?"

 

 

"Yes it is about me but I am doing fine and you don't have to worry."

 

 

"Eh ano gagawin natin? I love you but I cannot be with you, ayaw ko na talaga ng relationship."

 

 

"Yeah I know and I respect that. It's not your fault na ganyan yung gusto mo, I understand. I also want you to focus on yourself."

 

 

"I'm really sorry, hindi kasi magiging okay pag pinilit natin na maging tayo ulit."

 

 

*soft sobbing*

 

 

"Yeah I know. I am just scared pano pag may nagustuhan ka ng iba? I'm going to miss you so much, like everything about you. I cannot believe myself, bakit ba kita pinabayaan mawala?"

 

 

*soft sobbing*

 

 

"Karina enough ayaw ko na ng ganitong conversation please. Tama na."

 

 

"I'm really sorry, I promise last na to, we're not gonna talk about it again."

 

 

"It's okay. Tama na Rina, hindi naman natin alam ano mangyayari. We need to focus on ourselves, sana ganun ka din. Kaya ayaw ko na gawin mo to, mahihirapan tayo pareho. Bumalik nanaman yung attachment between the the two of us."

 

 

"Let me do this for you, gusto ko lang talaga bumawi tsaka walang magtitingin sayo. Just do me a favor, hayaan mo nalang na alagaan kita for the last time."

 

 

"Yeah okay. I'm sorry that this happened to us. Whatever your reason is, I trust that it is valid and alam ko na hindi mo naman ako iiwan ng ganun ganun lang."

 

 

"Stop crying, you got your tube. It might irritate your nose. I'm so sorry, hindi na natin pag uusapan ulit to."

 

 

"We really have to separate, it will feel forced pag sinubukan natin kagad."

 

 

"I understand, I just feel bad that we ended up in this situation. Naduwag kasi ako."

 

 

"Okay na yan hayaan mo na at least now we got our proper closure. Let's just enjoy the remaining time."

 

 

"Yeah, but I just can't take the fact that I've lost you, you are the best partner I could ever ask f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter