Promises

5 Stages On A Journal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One month before flight to Manila...

 

 

Giselle's POV

 

 

I just finished discussing things with Rina's doctor, he advised me that now is the right time to tell her what to expect when we go back to Manila. I can do it gradually para unti unti na niya ma-accept. According to them as compared to the first three months of her stay she is more stable now and she has improved a lot. They even allow her to leave earlier than six months but the family decided that she needs to finish the entire program.

 

 

"Why did you come here so early?" She asked me while I was taking a seat on the chair across from her."We'll eat breakfast together and we have a lot of things to talk about."

 

 

"Yeah let's eat, how are you Gigi?"

 

 

"Well I am doing okay Rina, how about you? You look great by the way."

 

 

"We haven't seen each other for almost two weeks."

 

 

"I was loaded with so much work but now I am free. How are you?"

 

 

 

"I honestly feel better now Gi." 

 

 

"Yes I can see that, are you ready to go home?"

 

 

"Absolutely."

 

 

"How are you feeling?"

 

 

"I feel like my old self now and I cannot wait to be done with this, I am truly excited to go home."

 

 

I could see that she was holding a book in her hand while we she was eating her breakfast. "What's that book you are reading? The one you are keeping beside you." I asked her.

 

 

"This?" She showed me the book before she started sipping her coffee. "Ate Tiffany gave it to me the other day, Haruki Murakami."

 

 

"You are allowed to read his works while you are here?"

 

 

"Yes they allowed me to."

 

 

"What's the title? Can I see it?" She handled me the book and I read the cover. "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami I see. I think I've read two of his books."

 

 

"Let me guess, Kafka On the Shore and Norwegian Wood?"

 

 

"Nope. Kafka and 1Q84, you got one right though, I'll give you that."

 

 

"Yeah, kinda figured because I know you."

 

 

"Rina ano na? What did the doctors tell you? I just finished talking to them a while ago and..."

 

 

"And what?"

 

 

"Nothing. I wanna know what they told you."

 

 

"Well sabi nila, they are happy with my progress and I am doing okay, maganda din yung result ng tests. Ang laki na ng difference Gi, I can feel it. Although I shouldn't miss my medication, mahirap na."

 

 

"I am happy and proud of you Rina. You think kaya mo na talaga?"

 

 

"Yeah, I think so and I need to help myself. I have no plans of losing again I want a restart."

 

 

"That's good."

 

 

"Yeah so, what did my doctors tell you, nagsumbong ba sila sayo?"

 

 

"Of course not because you've been good. They even said na kahit anong news or stories yung ikwento ko sayo kaya mo na daw, you can take anything."

 

 

"Uhm yeah I think so, I mean I know that I can handle anything now unlike before that I easily fall apart."

 

 

"Are you sure?"

 

 

"Yes."

 

 

"Sure ka Rina ha?"

 

 

"Oo nga bakit ba? What is it, do you want to tell me something?"

 

 

"Yeah parang yung sinasabi ko din sayo the last time I was here."

 

 

"Which one?"

 

 

"That things have totally changed and sobrang iba na lahat when we go back."

 

 

"Yeah I know and about Winter alam ko naman na wala na and ayaw na niya, it is impossible for us to get back together, baka nga hindi na niya ako kausapin when she wakes up."

 

 

"Maybe in time. Rina, there is something I have to tell you but promise me that you will let me know kung kaya mo or you are not comfortable listening to it."

 

 

"Yeah, I can handle it don't worry too much Gi, ayaw ko na din pansinin and gusto ko na labanan."

 

 

"Alright, uhm what do you plan to do ba kapag umuwi na tayo and yung sinabi ni ate Tiffany about your company sure na ba yun?"

 

 

"Yes, they plan to continue the office in New York and cancelled na yung sa Philippines. With regards to my position naman ate Jessica will take over and I will be the magazine's creative director. Naka leave lang ako ngayon because I have to do this, but I think next year I can go back to work."

 

 

"Wait, so hindi ka na babalik sa Philippines? You will be based in New York na talaga?"

 

 

"Yes, there's no reason for me to live there. Maaalala ko lang lagi si Winter. We have started the best life there Gi, alam mo naman yun and it disappoints me that I didn't end up with her."

 

 

"Malay mo naman? Oh my god Rina so hindi na kita makikita lagi when you move there for good?"

 

 

"We can always visit each other, like what we are doing now."

 

 

"Oh god I will miss you. this is a new chapter for us, I didn't expect na maghihiwalay pala tayo ng countries. Nasanay ako na ang lapit lang ng house natin."

 

 

"Yeah, I am going to miss you too but I hope you understand. Mas magiging efficient kasi yung company if we stay in New York. It is easier because the clients are there."

 

 

"How about the satellite office in Paris who will be in charge?"

 

 

"My former boss, she will be moving to Paris, okay daw sakanya yung transfer and she loves it."

 

 

"Who wouldn't love Paris? Everyone would love to work and live there."

 

 

"Winter, I remember she doesn't like it there."

 

 

"What?"

 

 

"I mean she doesn't wanna live there, she prefers New York."

 

 

"Oh no, but let's not talk about that na."

 

 

"Okay so ano na Gi, what are you gonna tell me ba or should I say what do you wanna know from me?"

 

 

"I wanna know your plans, what do you plan to do when we're in Manila?"

 

 

"Uhm I will be with my family."

 

 

"Okay what else, I want to know everything Rina."

 

 

"I want to see Winter, I will visit her in the hospital. Sinabi ko na yung sainyo dba, my doctor allowed me."

 

 

"You think kakayanin mo pag nakita mo yung condition ni Winter? I don't wanna sugarcoat Rina, they said it's bad nakakaawa yung itsura niya, Yeji told me that she looks weak. Remember the photos?"

 

 

"But she is improving naman dba?"

 

 

"Yeah she is pero you think you can take it pag nakita mo na ganun itsura niya, she got thin but now her hair is getting longer na kasi four months na eh."

 

 

"Yeah, I can take it. Titiisin ko because I really want to see her. Baka pagsisihan ko lalo kapag hindi ko pa siya nakita."

 

 

"I'll be direct to the point, baka naman once you visit her hindi ka na tumigil and you will go there everday na para makita siya?"

 

 

"We'll see."

 

 

"Anong we'll see Karina hindi pwede, the two of you have already broken up. It's not gonna be good for you."

 

 

"I know. Pero gusto ko lang kasi na makita siya lagi while she is still unconscious. I wanna try talking to her din dba maririnig naman niya ako? I promise Gigi once na magising na si Winter, babalik na ako sa New York and hindi ko na siya guguluhin kahit kailan."

 

 

"That's too bad, pero ganun nga we cannot do anything about it kasi tapos na. Let's just pray na wala ng side effects yung brain injury niya and I hope that she can go back to normal. But please don't be hard on yourself pag nakita mo siya."

 

 

"That's what I am hoping for too. Malaman ko lang na safe siya and walang deformities, it's time for me to go, so she can start a new life. I can handle it, gusto ko na talaga siya makita."

 

 

"How about her family you've mentioned a few times that you want to talk to them."

 

 

"Yeah, I am planning to talk to tita and ate Taeyeon before I visit Winter. Ang kapal ko naman if I go to the hospital without asking permission from them."

 

 

"Is it okay if I ask, what do you plan to tell them pag nagkita na kayo?"

 

 

"I want to explain what happened to our relationship, I am going to admit my mistakes."

 

 

"Wait, are you planning to tell them that Winter got detained?"

 

 

"Yes, I want to be honest with them and I wanna come clean."

 

 

"But Rina they might hate you for that."

 

 

"It's part of it, okay lang yun basta I want to tell them everything. Sasabihin ko din that I am going through this thing. They deserve to know what happened to me and Winter."

 

 

"Parang natatakot ako para sayo but I guess maiintindihan ka naman nila tita, it depends lang on the manner of how you're gonna explain it to them. Kaya mo yan and we will be there with you."

 

 

"We?"

 

 

"Yeah your family and our friends. Rina look, kailangan na din nila malaman because dba I told you na nga before you cannot always be the bad guy here, you have to explain your side to them para maintindihan nila kung bakit ganito yung nangyari. Now I am going to ask you. Okay lang ba sayo if we will let them know na, we are going to tell Ning, Ry and the rest that you're going through something."

 

 

"Yes, yeah Gi I think it's time. Hindi ko na kailangan itago kasi mahirap and nakakapagod yun."

 

 

"I understand. But then what about Winter pag nagising na siya what is your plan ganun nalang aalis ka na ulit hindi ka na magpapakita sakanya?"

 

 

"I will try to talk to her pero pag ayaw niya I will respect her decision."

 

 

"Alright I get it. Just know that I will be there for you pati yung mga friends natin okay? Wag mo sosolohin if something is bothering you. Please just inform me and your family."

 

 

"Yeah I promise you Gi, hindi ko na uulitin. I realized that I want to live. Mas mahihirapan lalo si Winter if I die and she might end up blaming herself. I wouldn't want that for her, I just want her to be happy and healthy. Sana talaga magising na siya."

 

 

"She will and she is fighting. Okay naman daw yung findings ng doctor hinihintay nalang talaga for her to wake up."

 

 

"Isn't it dangerous like if she wakes up tapos hindi naman din nagrrespond?"

 

 

"Well yun nga, let's pray na maging conscious siya and sana hindi maging vegetative state or brain dead. Let's hope for the positive."

 

 

". Gigi ano kaya nangyari samin kung hindi ko nalang siya iniwan and hindi ko nalang inaccept yung offer ni ate Tiff?"

 

 

"Wag mo na isipin yan it's done. I am aware that you regret a lot of things, you don't have to say it but please, stop blaming yourself. It's fate and we will not be able to defy it."

 

 

"I just feel bad for Winter, she's the best partner I could ever ask for, she is the most important person to me. Hindi niya deserve mahirapan ng ganito."

 

 

"Kaya niya yun Rina, matatapos din lahat to and she will be safe. In time magiging makulit nanaman yun si Winter, you will see."

 

 

"Yeah but she is not mine anymore, sobrang sayang. Konti nalang we will get married na pero pinakawalan ko pa."

 

 

"What do they say nga? Wag ka magsalita ng tapos, yun ba yun? anyway you know what I mean. You never know what will happen, because life has a lot of twists and turns."

 

 

"That's true. So yun yung gagawin ko I will visit her and I will be with her sa hospital hanggang magising siya."

 

 

"Oh god that sounds familiar, like I've heard that one before."

 

 

"Huh?"

 

 

"Uhm Rina there is something you should know and this time I am serious, pag naiinis ka and you don't wanna hear it just tell me. Sabihin mo sakin kagad and I want you to be honest with how you feel."

 

 

"Okay you are kinda scaring me, ano ba yun?"

 

 

"Kasi dba Winter stayed in an island for two weeks, may naging friend siya dun. She met a girl tapos naging close sila."

 

 

"She met a girl?"

 

 

"Uhm yeah a random girl tapos naging friends sila since mag isa lang si Winter na nag travel. That's how it is naman dba when you travel alone may mga magiging friends ka talaga."

 

 

"Please just go straight to the point Gigi, it's not like I'm gonna get mad or something."

 

 

"Yung naging friend niya sa island, she happens to be the girl na hinahanap natin dati nila Ennik."

 

 

"What, sino?"

 

 

"Karina the LP girl who sent Winter a present during her birthday five years ago. It was a coincidence, yun yung nameet niya dun sa island and now they are friends."

 

 

"What?"

 

 

"Bakit siya pa talaga yung naging friend ni Winter, close na ba sila?"

 

 

"I don't know yet kasi hindi ko pa naman nakakausap yung girl."

 

 

"She likes Winter doesn't she? I mean kaya nga niya binigyan ng gift because she's definitely into her and now they are friends. How the did that happen?"

 

 

"Rina I know that you are upset pero kailangan mo malaman to kasi baka magulat ka pag tagal."

 

 

"Yeah don't worry I am upset pero kaya ko naman na ihandle yung mga ganito."

 

 

"I am just making sure you are fine."

 

 

"Grabe, I almost had Winter as my wife and now we're like strangers, whoever that girl is, I know that she's into her and now they are friends. Why is this happening to us? I mean why us? Ang tahimik ng buhay namin ni Winter dati, it literally flipped and there's nothing left for us, we have nothing left to salvage from the best relationship we had."

 

 

"Rina I understand, but you have to accept reality. You know that you can start to live life in your own terms, we are still young. Madami ka pa din pwedeng ma-meet na ibang tao."

 

 

"I know that naman, but it is hard to replace her. She's the one who treated me the best, she took care of me, never niya ako sinaktan and I swear no one could ever top that. Sobrang nafeel ko na mahal na mahal ako ni Winter."

 

 

"I'm sorry Rina."

 

 

"Gi ang swerte ng magiging girlfriend niya."

 

 

"Swerte din naman si Winter sayo don't think that way, alam mo din that you have to move on."

 

 

"Yeah although I regret a lot of things talaga. I miss her and nasasayangan ako samin. What is she like?"

 

 

"Who?"

 

 

"The LP girl, what is she like?"

 

 

"You do not have to know Rina."

 

 

"Para lang may idea ako, do you know her name?"

 

 

"Squish said her name is Chaewon Kim."

 

 

"What does she look like? What does she do, what's her job?"

 

 

"Rina ang dami mo ng questions, I think this will be bad for you dapat pala hindi ko nalang sinabi."

 

 

"No, I'm okay Gi I am just asking. I wanna know kung kanino mapupunta yung snail puppy ko, I still care for her. Hindi ako papayag na kung kanino lang siya mapupunta I have to background check. I have to make sure that she will meet someone na maaalagaan siya."

 

 

"I know you, when you start talking in that tone of your voice, kilala kita. You're gonna be competitive and parang nahhype ka."

 

 

"No I'm not. I just wanna know kung sino yung bago na magaalaga sakanya that's it."

 

 

"Okay, her name is Chaewon Kim and our friends told me na kamuka niya si Winter. They could even pass as twins. Well I cannot tell because hindi ko pa naman siya nakikita in person."

 

 

"Same surname tapos magkamuka pa sila? Oh how nice. You think they click?"

 

 

"I don't know."

 

 

"Gigi I know you as well, your girlfriend is very observant and talkative, malamang nakapag report na sayo si Ning about LP girl. Come on just tell me, kaya ko ihandle yung mga ganito, trust me. I have improved and I'm able to control it." 

 

 

"About interests, yeah they sort of like the same thing."

 

 

"Like what?"

 

 

"She likes surfing and she rides a motorbike."

 

 

"Yeah of course they mirror each other, twins. me."

 

 

"Rina ano ba, I thought you can take it?"

 

 

"Yeah I can, natatawa and naiinis lang ako with what happened to us ni Winter. So what does she do, you have an idea?"

 

 

"She works as a dj."

 

 

"In Manila?"

 

 

"No, she's from London and New York, but she is also staying in Manila."

 

 

"New York nanaman? I extremely ing hate that city now." 

 

 

"Chill out please."

 

 

"What's her name again, do you have your phone with you, can we check her socials?"

 

 

"Rina alam mo naman yung rules dito. Bawal ka pa sa mga ganun."

 

 

"Oo nga pala, sige next time nalang."

 

 

"She is actually one of the people who saved Winter. There were four of them na nagdala sakanya sa hospital."

 

 

"Gi I think I wanna meet her."

 

 

"Who, Chaewon? Why? You don't need to Rina."

 

 

"Why not? I'm just gonna thank her for saving Winter."

 

 

"Kilala kita, you can't hide it from me. I know that look on your face may binabalak ka. Hindi tayo uuwi if you don't stop this."

 

 

"I'm not gonna do anything I'm going to thank her that's it."

 

 

"Hindi mo na kailangan mag thank you sakanya Rina, Winter is not with you anymore. Thanking the girl who saved her is meaningless. Nakapag thank you na din sakanya sila ate Taeyeon."

 

 

"Yeah you're right. I am not related to Winter na, and I have nothing to do with her anymore. Wala na akong karapatan."

 

 

"Hey, I'm sorry but you understand naman what I'm trying to say dba?"

 

 

"I just want to meet her new friend para alam ko kung matino ba siya."

 

 

"Hindi kailangan Rina and you know the reason why. Hindi din naman sure if there's something going on between them."

 

 

"But it is not impossible, actually there's a big chance because I'm sure that she likes Winter."

 

 

"Hayaan mo na, you just need to accept and I know na kaya mo yun, slowly."

 

 

"You think Winter likes her too?"

 

 

"Hindi mabilis mawala yung naffeel sayo ni Winter. I'm not giving you false hope but it will take time para mawala yung feelings niya for you."

 

 

"What if that's the purpose of the girl kaya pala sila nagkakilala? What if siya pala yung reason para maka move on na si Winter?"

 

 

"Rina you are overthinking now, dapat talaga hindi ko nalang sinabi."

 

 

"It's okay, wala naman problem Gigi I am not gonna do anything. Sinasabi ko lang na gusto ko makita kung sino yung girl and I want to confirm if she likes Winter."

 

 

"Tanggapin mo na Rina that there's a possibility okay? And kung pupunta ka nga lagi sa hospital next month there's a chance na magkita kayo."

 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

 

"She visits Winter in the hospital, that's what I've been wanting to tell you, hindi ko lang masabi kanina pa."

 

 

"Visits?! So Lagi? Ano yun nagbabantay siya?"

 

 

"Yeah."

 

 

"Oh wow. Gano ba niya katagal nakasama si Winter sa island?"

 

 

"I think two weeks."

 

 

"Two weeks lang tapos girlfriend duties na kagad siya? Is she ing serious?"

 

 

"Tignan mo nagagalit ka na. Calm down."

 

 

"I am not mad, okay lang ako, promise. But I am just saying na bakit parang ang atat niya and it's annoying, bakit kailangan niya pumunta dun lagi? They just met. How many times did she visit Winter?"

 

 

"Rina calm down. Nakakatawa ka, you said na okay lang sayo pero look at you. Why do you have your game face on? You are triggered. Ganyan ka talaga when you are going to do something. Don't tell me you're gonna compete with her. Madami ka pa kailangan gawin. You haven't even talked to Winter's family."

 

 

"If she's doing the fake girlfriend duties then I'm gonna start doing my ex-girlfriend duties."

 

 

"Oh my gosh Karina ano ba, let's not go home nalang kung ganyan ka. You are too funny but this is not a competition ano gagawin mo pupunta ka din sa hospital lagi?"

 

 

"No, I'm just gonna visit Winter kapag pumayag na yung family niya."

 

 

"What are you gonna do kapag nakita mo si LP girl dun?"

 

 

"Nothing. I will be there for Winter because I wanna see her and I wanna be with her while she's unconscious. Wala naman masama dun she's my ex."

 

 

"Why am I getting scared?"

 

 

"You don't have to wala akong gagawin Gi. I'll just visit her."

 

 

"Rina there's a possibility na makita mo dun si Chaewon. Hindi ka aalis pag nakita mo siya ano gagawin mo?"

 

 

"I'm just gonna say hi to her and introduce myself that's it. Wala akong gagawin, I don't have to ask her anything."

 

 

"I'm thinking na baka kung ano yung sabihin mo sakanya dun pa kayo magkagulo sa hospital room ni Winter. Please don't ever do that Karina, you have to control yourself."

 

 

"Gi I am okay now. My medicines are helping me to control my temper. Kaya don't worry I promise you wala akong gagawin and I'm just gonna see Winter."

 

 

"Pag nagising na si Winter pano ka? You're gonna be back to the reality na hindi mo na siya makakasama ulit."

 

 

"Alam ko naman yun and I have accepted it. I just want to make sure na magising na siya. I will leave once na naging okay na talaga siya. Yun lang yung gusto ko."

 

 

"Pero kayanin mo please, think about yourself. You are doing good and nagiging okay ka na talaga, I don't want you to have a relapse."

 

 

"I won't. Gusto ko lang talaga makita si Winter and yun na din yung mga huling oras na makakasama ko siya. I'm sure I won't be able to do that na pag nagising na siya.Sana pumayag yung family niya na makalapit ako sakanya."

 

 

"I'm really sorry Karina."

 

 

"I promise Gi, I am going to start moving on when she gets out of coma."

 

 

"That's right kahit masakit. You have to let Winter go and remember, anything na gagawin niya when she wakes up, it is none of your business anymore. I know that it may sound harsh but that's what you need to hear." 

 

 

"Yeah I know my place. I will let her go, I promise."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Flashback Three Days Before The Accident

 

 

11am

 

 

Ms. Reservation Kim:   here at your apartment

 

 

Winter Kim:   come in bukas yan pinto

 

 

 

 

 

*ding* *ding* *ding*

 

 

"It's open I said! You may come in!!"

 

 

"Hey sungit."

 

 

"Hey there, parang hindi ka pa sanay dito."

 

 

"I just didn't want to walk in on you doing some weird ."

 

 

"Ano naman gagawin ko, you know that I am just working. Saan ka ba galing Chaewon?

 

 

"Uhm from my place and here I brought you lunch. I'm pretty sure you're gonna be eating some trash again. Here, stop with what you are doing and kumain ka muna." Inabot niya sakin yung kamay niya so I reached for it and I stood up para pumunta na sa dining. "Pizza is not trash. You got me lunch? Sweet."

 

 

Malapit na mag three weeks yung stay ko dito sa island. Nagugustuhan ko na dito, nakapag adapt na ako at wala akong balak umuwi dahil sobrang nag eenjoy ako. I went back to doing freelance design jobs and so far okay naman. Besides that nag start na din ako ng small design business of creating and building tiny houses. When I get back ito na yung mga next ko na ipapa-construct at ibebenta ko din isa isa. Sa totoo lang dahil sa mga nangyari nung mga nakaraan buwan, nawala at nagulo lahat ng mga plano ko. I feel like na-derail ako, sa career and in my life in general. Para akong nag back to zero at nangangapa ako ngayon, pero ayos lang sakin kasi masaya naman at nawawala na din yung lungkot and galit na nararamdaman ko. I am also happy and thankful for the new people that I've met.

 

 

"Sweet? That's new." Umupo na siya sa harap ko and she brought out the food from the paper bag.

 

 

"Hahaha do you prefer na masungit ako sayo? Kumain ka din ha, kuhaan kita ng plate wait lang." I went to the kitchen para kumuha pa ng isang plate and utensils.

 

 

"Uhm you are not masungit na, there are times lang when you are working. Don't worry about me Winter I just finished eating, I brought this for you so ikaw lang dapat kakain."

 

 

"Saan mo ba binili to?"

 

 

"I'm the one who made it. Ako nag luto, come on try it. You can judge it or you judge me I don't care."

 

 

"Weh ikaw nag luto nito? Wala sa itsura mo that you cook."

 

 

"How many times do I have to prove to you that I am good in the kitchen?"

 

 

"Kung ilan beses mo dapat iprove that you didn't stalk me."

 

 

"You are still not over it? Hahahaha please, I did not stalk you Winter dream on. Pinadala ko lang sayo yung John and Yoko LP kasi I felt bad that you got embarrassed and I find you really cute kasi pikon ka."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter