Platonic Soulmate

5 Stages On A Journal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three Weeks After...

 

 

Karina's POV

 

 

Karina Yu:   where you at?

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   in LA will be back this week

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   how is she?

 

 

Karina Yu:  great, improving and doing good on therapy, learning how to walk

 

 

Chaewon Kim: she still doesn't remember me and any other recent memories?

 

 

Karina Yu:  too bad none at all, but the doctor said it is normal and she will soon regain her memory back 

 

 

Karina Yu:  she's been asking and looking for her "friend", you have to visit her soon and stop delaying!

 

 

Karina Yu:  don't chicken out chaewon you have to stop being a wussy and show yourself

 

 

Chaewon Kim:  i am not you !

 

 

Karina Yu:   then why are you suddenly in la?

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   i have to work with my team for my speakers collab, they are kinda rushing it

 

 

Karina Yu:   speakers? what speakers?

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   i'm collaborating with sonos i'm involved with the design

 

 

Karina Yu:  you mean a brand deal collab and it's with sonos?

 

 

Chaewon Kim:  that's what i said right???

 

 

Karina Yu:   like sonos the speaker brand?

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   oh my god

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   don't worry i'll cop you one when my EP comes out, i'll send you a speaker

 

 

Karina Yu:   dream on, you're becoming delusional

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   how come you still know nothing about me karina you're really dumb just like winter

 

 

Karina Yu:   you can't fool us, quit the act

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   you are so dumb karina i'm gonna say it over and over again

 

 

Karina Yu:   sonos got you or you mean you bought sonos from best buy?

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   how come your friends always fail to inform you who i am? you and your little girlfriend are the only ones who don't know

 

 

Karina Yu:  why would they, if you think you are special chaewon then i hate to break it to you because you are not

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   google is free karina

 

 

Karina Yu:   yeah whatever but you must hurry up and come back now, winter has been hinting about you 

 

 

Karina Yu:  she's been thinking about her forgotten friend

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   i'll see you guys perhaps this week, tell her i miss her

 

 

Karina Yu:  she doesn't miss you

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   stop being a

 

 

Karina Yu:   i don't even have one

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   oh you dont?? hahahaha

 

 

Karina Yu:   winter doesn't remember you

 

 

Karina Yu:   but ennik is here and she is looking for you

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   i know where somi is stop lying! i was just talking to her

 

 

Karina Yu:   you can't seem to get enough of her though why is that?

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   oh off hahaha

 

 

Karina Yu:   hahahaha we'll see you soon

 

 

Chaewon Kim:   yeah see you around

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's been three weeks since Winter woke up. The other effect of being unconscious and the brain surgery is that she is not able to walk on her own so she has to go through physical therapy.

 

 

I'm staying here in the hospital, kami yung magkasama 24/7. Tita and ate Taeyeon are also visiting almost everyday just to see her. All of our friends have visited her except Ryujin. Her closest friends drop by in the hospital every weekends because they want to make up with the time and they want to be with her. It's not that I am assuming things but I can feel that she is happy and satisfied.

 

 

They already took off Winter's catheter, she can now urinate and do her bowels on the commode chair. The first time sobrang nag pipilitan and nag aargue pa kami because she wanted the nurses to take care of it and she didn't want me to help her. Since ako yung nagbabantay, ako yung nagbubuhat and nag aassist sakanya when she needs to go for number one and two. I could tell na sobrang nahihiya siya sakin because I'm also the one who is cleaning her up. I had to assure her that it is not a big deal and it's my job to do it for her. It was really heartbreaking during the first time because she kept on crying and she was asking for her mom.  Eventually she got used to it kaya naging okay na din.

 

 

The first two weeks she was just resting and recharging her energy, she slept most of the time and her health is becoming more stable. We were advised by the doctor that she may start going through speech therapy and physical rehabilitation once she gets discharged from the hospital. Her speech has improved a bit and she is now able to form longer and more coherent sentences.

 

 

"Pup are you ready, do you want to sit here on the couch?" This is what we do most of the time, we play games. Ate Taeyeon brought her Switch, some board games and her books. Before, when were playing random games hindi masyado napipikon si Winter, but now ang bilis na niya mainis sakin every time natatalo ko siya.

 

 

"No, i'll stay!" I run-up to her when I heard her coughing and choking. "Hey are you okay? Don't yell kasi Pup I can hear you naman." I was checking on her and I made her bow her head down. This is what the doctor told us, she has to do this whenever she chokes on her saliva."Okay easy. May masakit ba, do you feel light in the head?" I handled her the towel, and I helped her pressed it on the side of ."Do you want me to put another one here, like a bib?"She held my hand while I was wiping ."This is enough"

 

 

"I can put a bib on your chest, para you are like my baby na Winter."

 

 

"Epal. No, ako na."I gave her the towel and I got up from the bed. "It's time to play!" I could see her watching me while I connect the Switch to the tv."Which one do you like Kirby or Fortnite?"I asked her as I scan through the games."No boring!"

 

 

"Okay chill out, but you cannot do this for too long because the doctor said you might have a seizure. What game do you wanna play now?"

 

 

"Need For Speed, I want that."

 

 

"Need For Speed? Need For Speed tapos mapipikon ka naman pag natalo kita." She looked really funny because she's not talking and she was just glaring at me like a small puppy waiting to attack. Mukang magsusungit nanaman si Winter. This is what she does, ang bilis niya mainis sakin but she's never becoming rude. When she gets mad, she scowls but she never yells at me. "Alright sige na nga, let's play. Tell me if you are tired and I'll turn it off."

 

 

"Okay"

 

 

"Okay? Why do you look like that Pup? You look like a mad little puppy." She gave me a death stare before sticking her tongue out kaya natawa ako sakanya. "Stop it Karina"

 

 

I was watching her as we play. This is the Winter that I remember, she's really cute when she's becoming too focused and competitive. I actually like how we are right now, it just feels so carefree and genuinely content. I am really thankful that I get to spend time and do things with her, without her pushing me away.

 

 

First round of course I let her win. "Don't take it easy on me" She said while she's scowling towards my direction. I didn't hear what she said so I had to pause the game. "What's that?" I pulled the other chair and I sat beside her bed."You are holding back"She mumbled.

 

 

"Are you saying something Pup?" I asked her one more time and I noticed that she's frowning again."What's wrong ba? You look like an angry maltese nanaman, you are so cute Winter."

 

 

"Karina you're letting me win." She whispered. I went closer to her because I didn't get it."What did you say?"

 

 

"You are holding back so I can win."

 

 

"Why would I let you win? Of course I won't do that we're playing fair."

 

 

"I know you, you're letting me win." I just shrugged before I left the controller on the table."Pup, can you raise your arms please, here para hindi ka mangawit." I got her pillows to put on her lap and placed one behind her back. She whispered a soft thank you and she smiled at me. "Do you want to use your blanket?" I asked her once again before I reached for the console.

 

 

"No, it's hot" I fixed her hair and tucked some behind her ear."Are you sure you don't want the blanket? that one is more comfy, you might fall asleep."

 

 

"No!"

 

 

"Okay my snail puppy you are acting up again but it's okay. I love you." I kiss her on the cheek and forehead before I went back to the chair."You are cute Winter, I'm so happy you're awake."

 

 

"I hate your blanket."

 

 

"You hate the blanket?"It was too obvious that she was stopping herself from smiling."You hate the blanket, so why are you smiling then?"

 

 

"Your blanket is super ugly" Natawa ako sa sinabi niya, the blanket that she's using is the one I got from our condo. It's a random gift I gave her when we were in the third year of our relationship."Hahaha you don't like it and you find it ugly? Why?! Favorite mo kaya to dati."

 

 

"It has your face on it"

 

 

I'm holding the blanket and I am showing it to her. "It's ugly because it has my face? But it also has your face on it. What are you talking about? It's our photo, look I'm even hugging you. We look really good together Pup." 

 

 

"in cheesy " 

 

 

"You know what Winter, within the the three weeks you have improve so much na talaga, don't you notice how you are getting better at trash talking me?"

 

 

"Why are you staying here?" This time I turned the tv off, I left the switch controller on the table and I went to sit beside her. "I didn't get what you said, tell me."

 

 

"Why do you stay here?" I rested my chin on her shoulder while I carefully snake my arms around her waist. Surprisingly, Winter doesn't stop me whenever I do this."Of course, I'm here to take good care of you."

 

 

"You already dumped me"

 

 

"Yeah I know that I messed up but that's not true Winter, I wasn't myself for a while and I made a mistake. I will explain everything to you pag magaling ka na. You can't get stressed out because of this."

 

 

"How long do you plan to be here?"

 

 

"Until you want me to. If you ask me to leave and you don't want me around, I'll do it. Kung ano yung gusto mo mangyari, I'm gonna have to accept and follow."

 

 

"You have to leave Karina."

 

 

"You want me to leave?" 

 

 

"Yes."

 

 

"Why?" She stared at me like I was dumb before she said something that got me caught off guard. "I just know that you will disappear."

 

 

I don't know what to tell her so I just pulled her closer to me so I could get rid of the awkwardness. "Karina I think you should go home." 

 

 

"Why is that?"

 

 

"I am taking too much of your time and I don't want that." 

 

 

We've had this conversation a lot of times, she keeps saying that I don't have to stay with her because she does not want to be a burden to me. This is expected from Winter, it's fully in her nature to care about others and she doesn't want to create any hassle for the people around her.

 

 

"But I want to be here with you, gusto kita alagaan. I miss you Winter and gusto ko talaga bumawi sayo, I've hurt you so much and I'm the reason you went through all of this."

 

 

"But we are done, It's not your obligation." 

 

 

"Yeah I know but I care for you. I hope you can still let me do things for you hanggang sa gumaling ka. I promise to tell you the reason why it happened."

 

 

"Why don't you tell me now?"

 

 

"Not now Pup please, I don't want you to get stressed out, it will surely affect you. I know you, pproblemahin mo pa yun."

 

 

"Then why do you act as if we're still together?"

 

 

"I'm sorry. I just missed you so much that sometimes I tend to forget my boundaries. I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable." Winter is very attentive and respectful, when we have this kind of conversation hindi siya nagagalit sakin, she just listens to what I have to say.

 

 

I realized that I need to stop being unfair, kung ano yung gusto niya I have to give it to her, it's my fault why we broke up. I don't have the right to force her into something that she is against."If you want me to leave, it's fine. It's your decision to make."

 

 

She did not react, but I notice that she was lying in my arms without being distant. Her expression was apparently becoming indifferent so I felt like I needed to assure her. "Winter, I do not want you to feel that I am taking advantage of you. Making you uncomfortable is truly the last thing that I want."

 

 

"Don't worry I will talk to your mom and ate so I could inform them. Although I can't leave you today kasi baka walang magbabantay sayo dito. Maybe tomorrow they can ask someone from your house to stay with you here." She was wearing her stoic face while she kept on staring at me."Winter? Are you okay?" She nodded her head before looking away."What are you thinking Pup?"

 

 

"Nothing"

 

 

"I will talk to them tomorrow, don't worry. I'll explain everything to your mom."

 

 

"Karina"

 

 

"Yeah?"

 

 

"Uhh you can stay, don't leave."

 

 

"What?"

 

 

"You stay"

 

 

"Are you sure? I don't want you feeling uneasy with my presence Winter. I don't want you to feel violated."

 

 

"It's okay. You can leave or you can stay it won't make no difference."

 

 

"Yeah I know but I want to be considerate. You might feel uncomfortable kasi and I really don't like that. It's very insensitive of me na pilitin kita kahit ayaw mo na andito ako."

 

 

"I already told you it's okay, you can stay."

 

 

"Are you sure?"

 

 

"Yeah it's not a big deal, kahit ano naman pwede and it's just you. We can be platonic."

 

 

"Oh we can be platonic, we? meaning you and I? We will be platonic Winter?"

 

 

"Yes a platonic relationship."

 

 

"Are you serious, you are allowing me to stay here with you until the doctors let you go home?"

 

 

"Isa pa" When she tried to shift her face away from me, I held her in place."You have to answer me."

 

 

"Stop it Rina" She was pushing my face away with her hand."Pup you are touching my face. I'm gonna kiss your hand if you don't stop this."

 

 

"Ang epal mo"

 

 

"What's the reason you allowed me to stay here with you? May I know what made you change your mind?"

 

 

"Don't assume anything and you shouldn't give it another meaning. I'm just letting you stay because," She's still lying in my arms and she looked up to me so I held her face closer to mine."Lumayo ka naman Rina, my tube" She's always using her tube as an excuse whenever I kiss and hug her.

 

 

"Because what Winter?"

 

 

"Because I cannot pee on my own. I need somebody to help me."

 

 

"Hahahahahaha that's your reason, you want me here because I'm helping you pee? Your mom can have someone to take care of you here. Why do you want me?"

 

 

"Shut up stop asking, I'm tired."

 

 

"I just want to know, is that bad? Sabihin mo na Winter, why."

 

 

"Stop it now before I take it back."

 

 

"Alright, I'll pretend that I don't know the reason."

 

 

"What reason?"

 

  

"You still like it when I am with you and we are together."

 

 

"In your dreams that's not it. Kapal mo"

 

 

"Oh really then what is it?"

 

 

"It's awkward if other people will take care of me."

 

 

"So you love that I am the one who is taking care of you?"

 

 

"No."

 

 

"Do you have any rules since I will be staying here with you? Should I stop calling you my snail puppy, or like should I refrain myself from hugging you? you might feel uncomfortable."

 

 

"Bahala ka. I don't have the right to tell you what to do anymore."

 

 

"You should've said 'yes Rina I want a hug from you' because I would love to hear that. You could've saved time and energy as well pup."

 

 

"God, shut up" I was lying on her bed while she was sitting beside me."You always take my space Rina" 

 

 

"Can you please lie down now? I want to cuddle with you."

 

 

"You have your own bed, go there. You are not allowed to be here."

 

 

"Pup I have been doing this for months now and I'm always hugging you, kahit naman ngayon. Lie down na and let me hug you, isa!"

 

 

"Karina ang kapal mo."

 

 

"Come on now, higa ka na Winter I want to hug you. I got tired kasi kanina pa kita binubuhat. I even gave you a massage and I was helping you stretch."

 

 

"I didn't ask for it, mas marunong ka pa kasi sa nurse."

 

 

"Hahahahaha are you gonna roast my again? You should've said thank you. Tsaka ganun naman yung ginagawa nila eh I got used to it and I think I'm qualified. I've been staying here for two months now, I actually think I can be a nurse na Pup."

 

 

"Karina, you are treating this hospital room like a hotel."

 

 

"Hahaha what?"

 

 

"Para kang naka check in dito what the ."

 

 

"Hey are you ashamed of me?!"

 

 

"Higa ka ng higa dito sa kama ko nakikita tuloy nung mga nurse it's embarrassing."

 

 

"Do you feel shy when they see us cuddling?"

 

 

"You are not even getting up when they are here to check up on me. Ako pa yung gumigising sayo."

 

 

"Hahaha hey that's not true."

 

 

"Ikaw ba yung pasyente you want dextrose?"

 

 

"Hahahahaha ang epal mo Winter, I'm tired eh bakit ba and you know how I sleep better when I cuddle with you."

 

 

"Nakakahiya sa mga nurse."

 

 

"Why are you getting shy, it's okay because they are aware that you are my girlfriend."

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter