Eight

Without You

 

It's been a week since I've seen Byunghee. Cheolyong told me that he went back to my brother and he'll be back in a couple of days. Even though I felt relieved that I wouldn't see him for a while, a part of me wishes he were here. 

After that incident at school, Suri and her crew disappeared. People said that Suri's parents were so angered that someone kicked their daughter, they demanded that she'd leave the school immediately. I didn't care much, though I was glad that Suri and her crew are gone. Charles still tried to get me to sit with him and his friends during lunch but I keep refusing them; I really didn't want to involve myself with others. 

I took a gulp of water from the bottle and placed it down next to me. I looked up at the cloudless sky; I raised my hand up, reached for the clouds. 

Don't for a second forget about why you're here.

I sighed out-loud and got up from the ledge. I picked up the waterbottle and placed it inside my backpack. I jumped down and walked towards the staircase. Once I got down the stairs, the chatter of students around me grew loud. Charles walked towards me. 

"Irina." 

"Yes?" I looked at him, confused to why he was talking to me. 

"I don't know if this concerns you or anything but we all found out why Suri and her group disappeared." I could care less. 

"Uh ... Not really, but why?" I tilted my head to the side. 

"A gang took her crew and now they're planning to punish her and the others. A-are you sure this isn't anything alarming? I-I'm not trying to pin this on you or anything but are you a part of-" 

"Irina, we have to go." Byunghee popped out of nowhere and pulled me away, leaving a confused Charles. 

"Aish! Let me go!" I fought out of his grasp but it was no use. 

"Get in the car." He pushed me inside the passengers seat and slammed the car door. He entered the drivers seat and immediately drove. I placed my seatbelt and crossed my arms. 

"Where the hell are we going?" I muttered. 

"Your brother. He found out about Suri and-" 

"WHAT?!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. 

"AISH QUIET DOWN!" 

"DRIVE FASTER! WE HAVE TO STOP HIM!" I yelled. He stepped harder on the gas pedal, pushing me back onto my seat because of the force. 

"How did he find out? I told you not to tell him!"

"Youngbae told him." 

I slapped myself on the forehead. That Youngbae.

"Aishh..." I cursed. 

After ten minutes we arrived at one of Seunghyun's warehouses. I quickly got out of the car and ran towards the building. 

"Irina!" Byunghee yelled from behind; I continued to run inside. I pushed open the door and froze in my spot.

Suri and her crew were bound in chains; their bodies covered in blood. Their skin had patches of dark purple all over and their lips swollen. 

"Irina." I heard Seunghyun call me. 

I heard Byunghee's footsteps stop behind me. 

"You were supposed to keep her away from here." Seunghyun gritted through his teeth. 

"People were questioning about her affiliation with us." He told Seunghyun. 

"Like I give a . Irina you're not going back there." Seunghyun turned around and stood in front of Suri.

Her body was shaking as she saw Seunghyun raise his hand. 

"Bring me my bat." 

I took a step forward but Byunghee and Cheolyong prevented me from going any further.

"Just because your father is a hotshot doesn't mean you can treat others like ." Seunghyun grabbed her chin and forcefully pulled her face upwards to meet his gaze. 

"Wanna know why? Because you don't know who someone really is. Like my little sister for instance. Targeting her just because she is new? Are you that in' bored with your life you little ?!" He slapped her face; the sound echoed in the building. 

I heard Suri whimper but she didn't make any noise after that. 

"Oh look, this little is acting all tough." He chuckled. "Lets see how tough you'll be once I'm through with you." One of his guys gave him his metal bat. 

Seunghyun raised Suri's face up with the tip of the bat, causing her to flinch at the cold metal.

He then took the bat and raised it up.

"Byunghee take her out of here." 

"N-NO! SEUNGHYUN S-STOP THIS PLEASE!" I finally found my voice. Byunghee grabbed me by the waist and carried me out of the building, Cheolyong shut the door immediately.

"LET ME GO! I HAVE TO SAVE HER! THIS ISN'T RIGHT! PLEASE!" Byunghee's hold on me tightened as he carried me back into the car. 

--

"Irina." 

I crossed my arms and sunk down onto the car seat, ignoring Byunghee. 

"I'm trying to take a nap, leave me alone." 

After Byunghee got me into the car, we drove away from the warehouse and we're now at a park near the apartment.  

Truth be told, I couldn't fall asleep. My mind wouldn't let me rest from my thoughts. I opened my eyes and took off my seatbelt. I unlocked the car door and left the car. 

"Irina!" Byunghee went after me.

I ignored his call and started to run. I didn't get far; Byunghee tackled me to the ground. 

"You're not leaving again!" He pinned my hands down onto the grass. 

"Idiot." I used my legs to push my body upward, causing him to fall backward, getting off of my body. He quickly got up as I stood up from the ground.

"Are we really going to do this?" He asked, his voice uncertain. We were standing four feet away from each other. 

"It's your choice Byunghee; let me go to my brother or fight me to prevent me from getting there." I raised my fists.

"N-no I won't fight you." 

"Then let me go."

"I can't do that." He shook his head. 

"Then I'll choose for you." My fist collided with his jaw. As he staggered back, I took three steps back, preparing my next move. 

"I don't want to hurt you." He said as he massaged his jaw. 

"Easier for me." I muttered as I lunged towards him. 

"But that doesn't mean I won't." He grabbed my wrist, pushed me down on the ground, pinning me down with my arm twisted on my back. 

"Ah." I winced as I squirmed under him. 

"I can't let you- oomph!" The pressure on my  back left and Byunghee fell face first onto the grass. 

"Are you okay?" A familiar voice asked me as he pulled me up from the ground. 

"D-daesung." 

"Did he hurt you?" He looked at my face and then my arms. He wiped blood from my cheek. 

"N-no I'm fine." I looked down at Byunghee. 

"Com'on, lets go." He grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him as we left the park. 

-- 

"Aish!" I hissed as he dabbed a cotton ball drenched with alcohol. 

"Sorry!" Daesung grinned sheepishly, throwing the cotton ball into the trash bin. 

He then tore open a band-aid and placed it on my left cheek. 

"I only have Doraemon ones." He scratched his head. 

"It's fine." I patted the band-aid with my pointer finger.

Daesung stood up from the dining room chair and grabbed the first aid kit from the table. He placed it back into the cupboard. 

"You hungry?" He asked.

"I'm fine." I shook my head no. 

He sat back down on the chair and looked at me straight in the eyes. 

"I'm just going to cut straight to the chase, why is your brother's right hand man attacking you?"

I sat frozen on my seat. 

"I knew you were Seunghyun's sister a long time ago." 

"W-when did you find out?" I asked him. 

"When you got into that accident back in Busan." 

I looked down on my hands and sighed deeply. So I failed my mission even before I could do anything else. 

"Answer my question." His voice was stern. 

I looked up at him. 

"My brother has Suri. I was going to go and rescue them." 

"So the rumors were true." An amused smile grew on his lips. 

I clenched my fists. 

"I have to go." I stood up. 

"There is no use to save them. They died the moment they messed with you. Even if you get there, the only thing greeting you are their dead bodies." 

I glared at him and sat back down on the chair with my arms crossed. 

"So you know the truth. What are you going to do next?" 

"I'm not going to hurt you, if that is what you're wondering." 

"It's as if I'd give you the chance." I scoffed. 

He shrugged his shoulders and gave me a smile. 

"You also know why I was at Busan, correct?" I asked. 

He nodded his head. 

"If you know that I was sent to get you, why are you helping me knowing that I'm your rival's sister?" 

"Because …" He scooted his chair forward with him. 

"You're not like your brother." He stated with his face close to mine. 

I didn't move a single muscle; his face was too close to mine causing me to become nervous. 

"S-s-so what? My loyalty is to my family." I turned my head to the side. 

His slender fingers touched my chin; his thumb rested next to my lips, cradling my face. He then moved my face to meet his gaze.

"It doesn't matter." He then leaned forward.