Fourty-two

Without You

"Here, sorry." Seunghyun grinned at Daesung, giving him an ice pack. 

Daesung winced as he held the ice pack onto his face, nodding his head. 

"He's still recovering you know." Cheondoong glared at the older male. 

"I said sorry okay!" Seunghyun cried out. 

"No, it's my fault, I shouldn't have come here like that. I'd assume you guys thought I did this on purpose." Daesung explained. 

"Well, did you?" Byunghee asked, accusingly. 

Daesung shot him a glare and shook his head no. 

"I was expecting to die." He sighed, taking the ice pack from his face. "But when I woke up, I was distraught and confused. Honestly, I believed I was in heaven until I felt sore and weak all over. Seulgi told me that the bullet nearly missed my heart." 

"When did you gain conciousness?" Seunghyun asked. 

"I woke up two weeks ago. They thought I'd never wake up but well ... here I am." He chuckled dryly looking down at the ice pack. 

Seunghyun slammed his fist against the marble counter, gritting his teeth. 

"That in' deserves to die." He growled. 

"Hyung-" 

"She didn't know the pain and suffering Irina had to witness while we buried your coffin. She even in' tried to jump in the hole when it descended down. Did she ing plan that too? Fake your funeral? Take your body out when we were going to bury you? Does she realize that my little sister cried for months, screaming her lungs out every time she tried to fall asleep because she'd have nightmares of that day? Does she know that because she was so weak and from the stress, she lost her child? Does, she? Did that ing know?!" Hot tears cascaded down Seunghyun's face while the others stared at him in disbelief. 

"And now she's dead. My little sister g-g-gone-" Seunghyun's voice cracked, he took a deep breath. 

"Did you tell them Cheondoong? Did you? Did you tell them how she died? She ran away from home cause she couldn't take it anymore. She couldn't handle all the memories that flooded in her mind because she lived in here. She went to a hotel with Aika and-" He wiped the tears from his face. 

"They died because of a ing fire accident. Everyone was trapped and no one survived. None of the bodies were ever recovered because they were so badly burnt." Seunghyun clenched his fist and sighed deeply. 

"Great she saved your ing live but she took two." Seunghyun left the living room, leaving the others to stare at each other. 

-- 

Irina got up from the couch as she heard a knock on the door. She opened it and a tall, lankly male entered the room. 

"I'm here to fix the hot water valve." Irina nodded and directed him to the bathroom. 

"Don't worry, it won't take long." 

"O-okay, thank you." Irina stood outside the door as the male did his job. 

Aika exited the bedroom, yawning. 

"Morning." She greeted Irina. 

"Morning." 

The male didn't seem to notice Aika talking in a different language. 

"He's here to fix the hot water valve." Irina explained as she followed Aika into the living room. 

"Ah, okay." Aika responded, remembering to talk in Chinese. 

-- 

"Thank you for fixing the valve." Irina thanked the male, leading him towards the exit of the house. 

"It's my job." He replied, leaving. 

Irina closed and locked the door. Aika was in the kitchen preparing their food. Irina quickly rushed to her side and took the pan from the stove. She placed it in the sink and opened the faucet so the cold water can cool down the pan. 

"Aish, you shouldn't do that. There's a reason why I only let you eat." Irina turned off the stovetop and the faucet. 

"What were you trying to make?" 

"E-eggs ..." 

Irina looked at the younger female weirdly and sighed, shaking her head. 

"Go buy some meat and vegetables from the store. I think there was a market we passed when we walked towards here. Get whatever you like." Irina ordered the girl. 

"Okay, okay." Aika grabbed some bills from the counter and the keys to the door. 

"Aika, wait!" Irina grabbed the cellphone from her pocket. 

 

"Wh-where did you get this?" Aika looked at the small phone. 

"I got it this morning before you woke up. I got them just in case anything happens." Irina took out another phone, the same exact model as the one Aika was holding. 

"My number is already in it." 

"Thanks." Aika said and left. 

Irina went back to the sink and began to scrub off the leftover burnt egg that stuck onto the pan. She grabbed the sponge and some soap and began to clean. 

The smell of the burnt eggs triggered a memory in her head. 

 

"Aika ... W-what's that smell?" Irina sat up from the couch and looked at her friend. 

"I-I don't know ... It smells like something is burning."

A shrill scream came from out of the room. Irina was the one to open the door and all she could see was thick, dark smoke. She immediately closed the door and coughed. 

"We have to go or else we'll die!" Aika ran into the bedroom and quickly brought out the bags they had. 

"We'll have to crawl and be sure to cover your mouth!" Irina opened the door once more and the two crawled on the floor. They could see nothing but smoke and the crackling noise of fire burning everything in its way. Irina looked back and saw that the flames were quickly following behind them. Irina urged Aika to crawl faster to the emergency exit. They turned right and saw the big window that led to a ladder. Irina pushed Aika to go first and made sure she descended down safely. 

Irina looked back and saw that the flames were almost halfway to where she was standing, she looked down at the window and began to go down the ladder. 

Sirens were heard and screams of people game from the burning building. Irina fought the urge to cry and continued to climb down. Once they were both down on the ground, they immediately ran through an alleyway before anyone else spotted them. 

 

Irina was snapped out of her thoughts by the buzzing of her phone inside her pocket. She had gotten a text message. She wiped her wet hands onto her pants and took her phone out. 

"HEL" Irina's eyes grew wide. 

She quickly ran out the door, not caring if she had closed it. She ran down the stairs, not caring if she almost tripped down. She ran out the street to the store she knew Aika would be at. 

She then heard a familiar scream, she ran faster. 

In an alleyway between the store and another building, she saw five men surrounding Aika, two of them holding her down. Irina ran headfirst towards them and immediately knocked two down. 

"Irina!" Aika yelled, tears streaming down her face. She had a large cut down her right arm. 

"You ers will pay!" 

One of the guys that were still standing lunged towards Irina only to be kicked square in the face. The other two holding Aika suddenly let her go and ran. The other three got up from the floor and also ran the opposite direction. Aika ran into Irina's arms and hugged her tightly, sobbing loudly. 

"Shh, its okay. They're gone." Irina patted her head softly, comforting her. 

"I-I-I th-th-think they-" 

"Don't worry about them, okay? Let's go back." 

-- 

Byunghee approached Daesung who was sitting down on the sand watching the ocean. He sat down next to the male. 

"I'm sorry." Daesung announced. 

"W-what for?" Byunghee looked at him. 

"I didn't protect her. Because of me, she's gone." Daesung sighed. 

"As much as I'd like to, I can't blame you for any of this. You were a victim as well." Byunghee replied. 

The two stared at the ocean, listening to the waves crash.

"Daesung ... I'm glad you entered her life. They told me how happy she was and I'm thankful she was. Thanks for being there for her. Thanks for loving her." Byunghee patted his shoulder and got up from the sand. 

--

"Noona!" Cheondoong cried from the phone. 

"Doongie, don't yell at me." Seulgi said in an authoratative tone. 

"J-just ... Be careful okay?" 

"I will Doong, you take care of Daesung for me, okay?" 

"I will." 

"Good boy." 

"Noona ... Are you leaving for good?" 

Seulgi sighed, nodding subconciously. 

"I need to. There isn't anything for me in Korea any longer. You boys are all grown up and you don't need me watching over you." 

Ever since they were kids, Seulgi was the one who took care of the boys when they weren't at home. She was also the one who took Daesung in when his parents had died. Seulgi was the one who trained all the boys in fighting and also create their group. She had been the reason for their success and their great influence in their world. 

"I'm going to miss you Noona ..." 

"I'm going to miss you too, kid." 

 

-- 

Hey, guys! I created a character chart (late I know).