Fourty-one

Without You

Cheondoong had gotten a strange message on his phone telling him to go to Seungri's abandoned noodle shop. He stood in front of the building, kicking imaginary rocks from the ground. Cheondoong saw a shadow of a figure approaching him. 

He looked up and his eyes grew wide. 

"Daesung-" His breath was caught in his throat. 

He took off the sunglasses that perched on his nose and hung it on the front of his shirt. He pushed his platinum blonde hair away from his eyes and smiled at Cheondoong. 

"Long time no see, kid." 

Cheondoong ran towards Daesung and hugged him tightly. 

"Ah-" He winced. 

Cheondoong immediately let go of his older friend and saw he was holding onto his chest. 

"Sorry ..." Cheondoong bowed his head. 

"No, its fine. It stings a little." 

"B-but ... how-how are you alive? I was there when we took you to the hospital when they tried to revive you because the doctors on the site of the house said you had a very faint pulse but when you were at the hospital they announced you died what-" 

A female around 5'3 feet appeared behind Daesung and her arms along with his. Cheondoong's eyes grew wide. 

"N-n-noona?" 

-- 

The taxi had arrived in front of a bus station. Aika paid the driver and the two got out of the car. 

"I-I thought we were going to the house?" Irina asked her. 

"Oh, the house is a few minutes away from here, I didn't want the guy to stop directly in front of where we're staying at. Just to be safe." Aika explained. 

Irina nodded her head and followed Aika down the street. After a few minutes of walking, they were standing in front of a two-story apartment. Aika pushed open the door and they were greeted by an old lady. 

"Ah, you must be the new occupants." She signaled for them to follow her up the stairs. 

Once on the second floor, the lady made a left and stopped in front of a wooden door with a '4' etched on the face of the door. The old lady took out keys and opened the door for the two. The three entered and the old lady gave the keys to Aika. 

"The water heater is broken but it'll be fixed tomorrow. There's an old tv but it only has two channels and the fridge is fairly new, so don't ruin it or it'll come out of your rent." She wobbled out of the apartment and closed the door. 

Irina placed her bag down on the floor and looked around. 

The kitchen, dining room, and living room were merged into one room. There was a hallway that Irina guessed would lead to the bedroom and the bathroom. There was a sliding door on the opposite side of the room that led to a balcony.

"Seems ... decent." Irina nodded her head. 

"Don't get too comfy, I'm still on the look out for a house." Aika sat down on the couch that was in the living room. 

"No, its fine. If you can't find one soon, this is fine." Irina sat down next to her and patted her on the shoulder. 

-- 

The three sat inside a deserted cafe, holding coffee mugs in their hands while they conversed. 

"H-how did you know hyung was-" 

"Cheondoong-ah, you really think I'm not watching over everyone? Just because I was away over in London doesn't mean I wasn't keeping track of you all." The female smirked. 

"It's just that- w-we thought-" 

"I went missing?" Her right eyebrow raised up. 

Cheondoong nodded. 

"I knew I was being followed so I had to make it seem like I had." She placed the coffee mug down and folded her arms on her lap. Daesung took a sip from his cup. 

"B-but- Daesung how are you-" 

"I told them to announce that he was dead." She cut him. 

"W-what?!" Cheondoong's eyes grew wide. 

"WHY?! Irina-" Cheondoong covered his mouth and gasped. 

Did he know? Cheondoong thought. 

Daesung looked at the younger male. 

"W-where is she?" 

"Y-you ... you don't know?" 

"Once we stabalized his condition, I brought him to the US for him to heal." The female explained, taking a sip from her drink. 

"You guys just got back now?" Daesung nodded. 

"Where is she Cheondoong?" He leaned closer to the younger boy. 

"Hyung ..." Cheondoong's voice strained. "She's dead." 

-- 

"You're going to look for a job?" Aika's mouth flew open. 

"I-I feel like a burden to you..." Irina rubbed the back of her neck as she sighed out-loud. 

"N-no you're not a burden. Don't worry about making money, I have that covered. I have a secret bank account only I know of, so we're good. Our only objective is to start a new life without other people finding out who we are." 

"But-" 

"Irina, if you were to apply for a job, what will you tell them? You're a nameless individual and you have to stay that way." Aika crossed her arms in front of her chest. 

Irina sighed, she knew Aika was right. 

"I just don't want to go crazy from the silence." Irina sighed, getting up from the couch and to the bedroom. 

-- 

"You musn't drink hyung." Cheondoong advised Daesung holding the bottle of tequila from him. 

"Like I care." He growled at the younger male, trying to grab the bottle from him. 

The female swatted Daesung's hand away from the bottle and took it herself. 

"Drinking won't solve anything."

"I don't care." The grunted, trying to get the drink. 

"REALLY? FOR THIS GIRL YOU'D THROW AWAY EVERYTHING I WORKED HARD FOR YOU?" She yelled suddenly. 

"I DID SACRIFICE MY LIFE FOR HER DIDN'T I?" He stood up from the stool and stumbled towards his room. 

The female placed down the bottle of alcohol and fell down on the floor, sobbing into her hands. Cheondoong kneeled down and brought the older female into his arms, holding her tightly. 

"Even after everything ... he-he still doesn't see me..." She cried into Cheondoong's shirt, her tears soaking through. 

"Seulgi Noona ..." She continued to sob endlessly, Cheondoong feeling sorrow and regret for the two. 

Seulgi wiped her tears and sniffled. 

"S-she was special wasn't she?" 

"I-I didn't really know her well but she got hyung to become genuinely happy. She was one of the strongest people I knew." 

Seulgi nodded and the two stood up from the floor. She gave Cheondoong a smile and kissed him on the cheek. 

"Take care of him will you? I've done all I can." Cheondoong nodded and Seulgi left. 

-- 

Daesung slammed his bedroom door and went straight to his bed. He threw the covers onto the floor and flung his pillow to the other side of the room. He twisted and the bed, ignoring the pain on his chest. He fought hard to battle the tears that were threatening to fall down his face. He didn't want to believe it. No, he refused to accept it.

No way. No bloody ing way is she dead. She isn't. She's not. He thought. 

He stopped thrashing on the bed and laid down with his back flat on the bed. He stared up at the ceiling and battled with himself internally. He didn't want to remember the times they had shared moments before Taehyun had ruined their happiness. 

Her smile, the way she threw her back when she laughed uncontrollably, her tendency to pout when she's bored, the way she poked her cheeks when she felt that she was about to fall asleep, he wanted to push those tiny memories to the back of his mind; he didn't want to accept that he couldn't ever see those mannerisms ever again. 

He clutched onto his chest, where he could feel his heartbeat. 

"You're still here with me Jagiya ... you're here." He whispered. 

-- 

She bit down on her bottom lip, hard. She blinked her eyes multiple times, shaking her head and looking down at the plastic stick. She let out sharp, short breaths. 

"I-It's positive." Her voice laced with panic. 

What was she going to do? How will he react? Would he leave her? Would he get mad? After all, they lived in an askewed world, it was a miracle their love managed to survive. 

Irina let out a squeak when she heard loud knocks on the door. She threw the pregnancy test in the trash bin and cumpled up a few wads of paper towels to cover it. 

"Irina, are you okay? You've been in there for a while, do you need to see the doctor?" Daesung asked from outside the door, concerned. 

"Actually ... I do." She thought, shaking her head. 

"N-no, I'll be out in a moment!" She quickly washed her hands and dried them onto her pants. She hastily walked towards the door and turned the handle, smiling up at her boyfriend. 

"What took you so long?" He asked her curiously. 

"W-why are you asking such personal things? You're so weird!" She laughed awkwardly and playfully slapped him on the arm. 

Daesung raised his left eyebrow and gave her a strange look. He knew something was up. 

"Tell me." 

Irina felt her face heat up but she didn't let it phase her. 

"What?" 

"Something is up, I know you too well." He trapped her between his arms and pulled her close. 

"T-t-t-th-theres nothing wrong!" She stuttered, feeling stupid. 

"You stutter when there is something big! Tell me!" He whined, pouting his lips out. 

Irina sighed and looked down at her feet. There was no use in not telling him. She took a deep breath and sighed out-loud. She looked up at him and bit het lip once more. He felt her shake in his hold, he became scared. 

"J-J-Jagi?" 

"Daesung ..." She paused.

"I-I-I'm pregnant." She looked up at him cautiously. 

Daesung stared at her for the longest time, his expression not changing and his grip on her waist not weakening. Then his eyes gradually grew larger and larger, so did his mouth. 

"S-say something!" She hit him in the chest. 

He took a deep breath and then,

"I'M GOING TO BE A DAD?! OH MY GOODNESS! I'M A FATHER! I'M A FATHER!" He picked her up by the waist and spun her around, laughing and giggling like a little child. 

"YAH! DAESUNG! PUT ME DOWN! YAH!" Irina screamed. 

"I-I'M A GOING TO BE A DADDY!" He cheered childishly, putting her back down and suddenly poking her stomach. 

"Hey kid, I'm going to be your dad!" He clapped his hands. 

Irina looked down at him lovingly and let a smile grow onto her lips. Daesung felt her stare and he stood up straight, pulling her into his chest. Irina hugged him back, tears suddenly falling down her face. Daesung felt the hot tears soak through his shirt and he looked down at her. 

"Jagi ..." 

"I-I'm happy." She smiled, wiping the tears with the back of her palm. "I'm so happy!" She cried, hugging him tightly once more. 

 

Irina woke up in a daze, realizing she had fallen asleep.

I'm not screaming or scratching my face out ... This must be a good sign. She thought, rubbing her eyes. 

She looked out the window of the bedroom and saw that it was bright and sunny. She looked to her left and saw Aika sleeping peacefully on her side. She placed the blanket onto the younger female and stood up from the bed, stretching out her limbs.

She walked into the kitchen and grabbed the milk from the fridge and a box of generic fruit cereal from the counter. She then grabbed a bowl from the cupboard and a spoon from the drawers. She poured herself a bowl of cereal and began to eat her cold breakfast.

Why had I dreamt of that? She remembered bits and pieces of her last nights' dream. She knew it was one of her memories but it was harder for her to accept its realness. 

Everything feels so numb. She took a spoonful of cereal and stuffed it into . 

-- 

Seunghyun had called everyone to report to the house. All but Cheondoong arrived. 

"What is this all about hyung?" Seungri asked. 

Byunghee showed him the picture and Seungri gasped, not believing it.

"No-N-no way ... h-hyung ... w-what?!" Seungri's eyes grew wide as he stared down at the picture. He tore it out from Byunghee's hands and carefully looked at it. 

"T-that's ... b-but ... I ... h-hyung ... I ..." 

Youngbae grabbed the photo from the younger males' hands and stared at it. 

"It's him ... but it can't be ... that-thats just crazy. No one-" 

"-can rise from the dead?" Daesung finished his sentence as he entered the house with Cheondoong by his side.