Four

Without You

I decided to leave the school earlier than I usually did, so I packed my belongings and swiftly walked out of the school. I remembered that a couple of my classmates were talking about a new book that was released a few weeks ago and it captured my interest so I decided I was going to a book store that day. 

It had been a while since I visited the city; who knew that in less than a year, I’d be away from the city life and attend school. 

I sighed, thinking of the past and how I used to roam these streets freely. 

i spotted a book store next to a small noodle shop and decided that I would eat there right after I bought the book. The book store looked fairly new, there were a few students standing around the place, looking at books. There was a small table that had featured the book I was looking for, I picked a copy up and went to the cashier. 

“Wow, many students have been buying this book.” The old lady said with an amused smile.  

I nodded my head and sweetly smiled at her. I gave her the money and she gave me the change. 

“Enjoy!” She said, giving me the book. I nodded in return and walked out of the store. I took a left turn and made my way into the noodle house. 

I took a seat in the far corner of the shop, near the exit. I grabbed the menu in front of me and looked at the noodles they offered. 

“Hello, what can I get for you?” A pale, skinny kid asked. 

“Uh … One bowl of udon noodles please.” I closed the menu and placed it down. 

“What drink would you like?” 

“Water is fine.” 

“Alright, your order will be out in a few minutes.” He said, jotting down a few things on his notepad. 

“Cool.” He left. 

I sat in silence, looking around the place, letting my eyes wander around. The bell rang from the front door, signaling new customers entered the place. My waiter placed the bowl of udon noodles in front of me and a glass of water.

“Enjoy.” He said. 

“Oh, hey hyungs!” I heard him say, I assumed it was the people who entered the place. 

I inhaled the smell of the hot soup and grabbed some chopsticks from the container on the table. I blew away some of the hot steam coming from the bowl and dipped my chopsticks in, ready to get a few strands of noodles. I picked up a few, and blew on them lightly. I stuck it inside my mouth and savored the chewy goodness. 

“Isn’t she …” My ears pick up their conversation; I paused for a moment and continue to eat as if I didn’t hear them. 

“Aish! Keep your voice down idiot!” I hear a quiet groan. 

“Yeah, she’s Suri’s latest victim.” Ugh, I’m starting to get annoyed at the fact that I’m known cause of her. 

“Don’t you think she looks like- ARGH HYUNG!” 

“I know what you’re thinking and no freakin’ way! I know you’ve seen her but there is no way they’re the same person. T.O.P’s sister would have already fought back.” 

A smile appeared as I swallowed my food. So I am recognized. I mindlessly shake my head and slurp up the last of the udon soup. I take a gulp of the water and placed a few bills down on the table. 

I got up from my table and start to walk out. The bell rang, more customers entered the place. I stop at my tracks. 

“.” I mutter out. 

“Lara.” I subconsciously step back. 

“Word on the street was that you moved to America. I thought it was a nicer way of saying you died.” 

I felt my face twitch, but I managed to keep my facial expression blank. My stare bore into their faces; they bore into the faces of the people that will ruin everything that I’ve been working on these past two months. 

Taehyun, the tallest one out of the group stepped forward and snapped his fingers in front of my face. 

“Yah!” He yelled out loud. 

The group of guys that entered the shop a few minutes ago got up from their table and stood in front of me. 

“You’re freaking her out; clearly she isn’t who you think she is.” A tall boy with extremely dark circles under his eyes glared at Taehyun and pushed him away. 

“Yah, Seungho if you know what’s good for you, tell your idiot crew to step back; I’m handling business here.” Taehyun growled. 

“So bullying innocent girls in noodle shops is your business now?” The guy named Seungho chuckled dryly. 

“Aish, mind your business.” He shoved Seungho out of the way and made his way towards me. 

“Now, how about you stop acting like you don’t know me and own up to your faults.” He grabbed me by the arm. 

“Don’t touch me!” I yelled, yanking my arm away from him. 

Another arm grabbed onto my shoulder, causing me to jerk away, I looked back and saw that it was Daesung. My eyes grew wide. 

“Seriously, Taehyun, leave before we'll have Seungri over here call the police on you because of public disturbance." Daesung sneered, glaring at Taehyun. 

Taehyun threw a dirty look at me and exhaled deeply. With the snap of his fingers, he and his crew left the building. 

"Well aren't you a magnet for trouble." Seungho chuckled, turning his body towards my direction. 

I shrugged my shoulders. Daesung let go of my shoulder and gave me a smile. 

"Thanks I guess." I muttered audibly. 

"No problem. It pisses me off to see that guy; I wanted a reason to kick his , but I guess it'll be postponed on another day." Seungho said, scratching his head. 

I slowly nodded my head. 

"But then I guess you wouldn't know that considering …" 

"So uhm, Irina, are you heading home?" Daesung asked. 

I nodded my head. 

"Do you need someone to you home? Seeing that you don't have the greatest of luck right now."

"I-I guess …" I reply. 

He turned to his friends who sat back in their seats, looking at the menu. 

"I'll walk her home, I guess I'll see you all later." He waved at his friends. 

We both exit the building and started to walk to the direction of my apartment. We walked in silence; I honestly didn't know what to talk to him about so I kept my mouth shut letting myself enjoy the surprisingly comforting quietness between us. 

I suddenly thought of my brother. I wonder how he was right now and how the others were when I had left. I suddenly felt bad for leaving them without saying goodbye. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Daesung waved his hand in front of my face; I snapped out of my thoughts. 

"Hmm?" I looked up at him. 

"I asked if we have to take a left or right turn." He said, we were standing in front of two roads. 

"Oh! Sorry, uh, right." I said, walking once more. I didn't even notice I stopped walking. 

"Need to talk it out?" Daesung offered. 

I shook my head no. 

"I'm fine, I suddenly remembered something." I explained, not wanting to say anything else. 

"Seeing your distraught expression earlier, I think you should forgive yourself. It looked as if you were blaming yourself for something involving someone else. I'm sure whatever you did you're forgiven." He said. 

I nodded my head. 

"Thanks." 

We were almost in front of my apartment. I decided to walk past it and go to a different one. I didn't want anyone to know where I lived, especially him. 

"Well, this is it." I said, grabbing the straps of my backpack. I looked up at the apartment, immediately thinking of ways to jump from the building to my own. I saw a clothesline that connected the apartment I stood in front of and my own. 

"You should get in soon, its getting late. Especially since you are a magnet for trouble." An amused smile spread across his lips. 

"Will do." I smiled back. 

"Thanks again." I said and turned around, going up the stairs; thank goodness this apartment was open and didn't need a code to get in. 

I waited a few minutes in the stairwell before I made my move. I hopped on the ledge and looked around before I grabbed on the clothesline. No one was in sight so I quickly grabbed the line and swung myself to the other building, grabbing on the ledge of my balcony, pulling myself up after. I dusted off my uniform, and entered my apartment. 

"Well aren't you home early." Byunghee sarcastically remarked, his arms crossed against his chest. 

"I bought a book and ate out." I casually replied, placing my backpack down on the floor. 

"I saw you with him." I felt my heart stop beating for a second. 

"Please don't tell me that the reason why you're here is because of him." 

"I won't then." I muttered, sitting down on my bed. He exhaled sharply and raked his fingers through his hair. 

"Damnit, Irina, don't do this please-" 

"You don't control me Byunghee, so don't tell me what to do." I glared at him, I could feel my heart beat grow quick.

He grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me up from my bed. 

"Don't you understand?! He's the reason why … w-why you're-w-why you almost-" His eyes dilated, he looked so pained. 

"He's the reason why you almost became immobile. Please, drop this now."  He pulled me into his chest and hugged me tightly. 

My throat felt dry; I couldn't say a word. 

"I know … I know Seunghyun told you he was your mission, but please, drop it. Seunghyun doesn't want you to go after him anymore. Don't harm yourself for him. I-I don't want to lose you again …" 

His last sentence caused anger to build up inside me; I suddenly saw red and immediately pushed him away from me. 

"Lose me? Again? Byunghee, I am not yours. You and I ceased to exist a long time ago. Y-you do not have the right to say that to me." I felt my chest constrict, forcing air to exit my lungs. 

He pulled me back into a hug; I tried pushing him away but my strength crumbled under him. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He whispered, holding me tighter. 

"letmego." I whined, feeling tears down my face. I can't cry over him, not again. 

"damnitletmego!" I cried into his chest, hitting him repeatedly. 

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry." 

"I wish I could take it back. I wish I didn't hurt you. I wish we could go back in time …" 

"Please Byunghee, let me go…" I sobbed, grabbing onto his shirt and pushing him away. 

He let me go and cupped my face with his hands, brushing away my tears with his thumbs. I looked away from his gaze, never wanting to meet his eyes. He then brought his lips to my forehead and lightly kissed me. 

"You know how much I  love you … right?" He said softly. 

I exhaled and looked him in the eyes. 

"It's out of pity. You don't love me. If she didn't die, you'd still be with her." I pushed his hands away from me and left my room. The moment I stepped out of my room, I ran. I ignored Youngbae and Cheolyong and left. 

I cried as I ran, letting out all of my suppressed emotions; I decided to feel human tonight.