Chapter Twenty-Four

Without You

Before I update, I would like to thank everyone that reads this. Because of you all, you make me want to update faster because you all motivate me to write (esp. you, you know who ;D). Honestly, I thought I'd give up on this fic cause I was getting incredibly lazy to write and I'm getting busier and busier as graduation approaches for me but I find time in writing chapters. So thanks for motivating me to write ^^ 

 

-- 

 

Irina was woken up by a loud knock on her door. Half-asleep, she got up from the bed and opened the door. Daesung saw her sleepy eyes and smiled. He pulled her forward by the hem of her shirt into his chest, hugging her tightly.

“Good morning.” He whispered in her ear.

She pulled herself closer to him by his shirt and snuggled herself on his chest, inhaling his scent.

“Morning.” She muttered sleepily.

He kissed the top of her head and held onto her waist, pulling her up to carry her back on her bed. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he carried her. He placed her down on the bed softly.

“Sleep with me.” She mumbled, looking up at him. 

He then laid down next to her. She inched near his chest and rested her head upon his arm. He kissed her on the forehead and pulled the covers over them. In an instant, Irina was asleep. Daesung watched over her as she slept, noticing how softer her appearance was. It contrasted from her usual blank expression. He cupped her left cheek and her face lovingly. Soon after, he too fell asleep.

--

A figure lying down on a beaten up couch dropped an empty bottle of soju on the carpeted floor, creating a loud ‘thunk’ noise as it fell. The figure twitched in his sleeping, noticing the glass bottle was out of his grasp.

He groaned, feeling the excruciating migraine and his sick, uneasy stomach. But those bodily pains couldn’t compare to the pain aching in his heart.

“Irina-ah …” Byunghee cried out as images of her face flashed before his eyes.

{Flashback}

He stayed in Busan after the party ended. He stayed to convince Irina to come back; he knew that she wouldn’t have come on her own with the enemy. He just knew.

A day passed after the party and Byunghee hadn’t found them yet. He knew the neighborhood where they stayed at but he didn’t know where the house was or how it looked like.

One warm afternoon he walked around the neighborhood. He decided to take a break from searching so he entered a nearby noodle house. The only person inside was an old woman who looked delighted to see him.

He greeted her respectfully.

“My, don’t you look hungry. Sit down and I’ll fetch you a bowl of noodles.” She disappeared into the kitchen.

Minutes later, the old lady brought out a large bowl of noodles and sat it down in front of him. He thanked the old lady and began to eat. The hot soup erased the coldness from his body, calming his nerves in the process.

“I should bring her here one day.” He thought hopefully.

Byunghee finished the meal and placed a couple of bills on the table and thanked the old lady once more before leaving the building. He looked at his watch and let out a loud exhale of breath. 

Just then his phone started to ring. He grabbed his phone from his pocket and checked the caller id. It was Seunghyun. 

"Hyung?" He answered. 

"Byunghee you need to come back." Seunghyun said through the phone. 

"I'll be back when I have her hyung." 

"Byunghee ..." Seunghyun sighed. 

"I know that she didn't go with him willingly, she just wouldn't. I'm going to bring her back and take her home." 

"What if she-"

"SHE HAS NO FEELINGS FOR HIM. THIS IS JUST A PLAN TO RUIN YOU HYUNG!" Byunghee yelled through the phone. He realized what he had done and quickly apologised. 

"It's fine." Seunghyun sighed once more. "Just be careful, okay?" 

"Will do." He answered and hung up the call.

He placed his phone back in his pocket and looked around the neighborhood. Nothing but generic-looking two-story houses with plain colors such as pale blue and brown as their scheme. Tall trees surrounded the houses, their leaves rustling because of the wind.

I need to find you ... I miss you so much I'm hurting. 

-- 

Byunghee had circled the neighborhood once, no twice. Even when the sun disappeared and night took over, he went all over, making sure he hadn't checked every street and every corner. Luckily, he wore a jacket to combat the colder night wind. He looked at his watch and saw that it had passed midnight. 

"I don't give a if I'll wait till the sun rises, I feel like they're near." He whispered to himself. 

He zipped up his jacket and decided to take a short rest in the nearby park he circled before. He sat down on a bench near the lake of the park and felt his eyelids droop. 

"Maybe I'll nap for a few moments ... No one is around anyways..." He muttered before falling asleep shortly. 

Byunghee flinched, immediately waking from his slumber. He wiped the drool from the corner of his mouth and shook off the drowsiness that was still in his body. He stretched his arms and blinked a couple of times. He checked his watch once more and saw that it was 3 in the morning. 

"Oh ." He cursed under his breath. He had slept for 3 hours in the park! Good thing that the bench he decided to rest on was hidden behind a tree and a tall bush. 

He started to get up from his seat when he heard footsteps near him. Curious, he sat back down and peered carefully behind the bush. 

Who could be awake at this hour besides him? 

He saw two figures standing at least fifteen feet away from the lake. It looked like it was a male and a female. The male suddenly grabbed the female by the wrist and pulled her towards the lake. They stopped in front of a large object which looked like a boat and carried it to the edge of the river. They both got the oars and started to paddle. 

Byunghee stared at the two, surprised and amused that the two were out in this hour just to ride on a boat. He couldn't help but keep watching when he knew he should be looking for Irina and Daesung. 

After paddling for a while, the two dropped their oars down and sat on the boat. Byunghee stayed on the bench, still watching the couple. Just then, the boat broke in two, leaving the couple to swim out and back onto land. The two rested on the ground before they stood up. Byunghee still couldn't see their faces because it was dark and the nearest lamp post was thirty feet away. He saw their figures and then he saw the girl slip onto the male. 

His heart twinged at the sight. He didn't know why. 

The two walked up to the main part of the park where Byunghee could hear their voices.

The girl bumped into the males back, causing the male to look back at her. 

 

"S-sorry." Her voice sounded familiar to him but he couldn't put his finger on it. 

"This is making you worse." He too sounded familiar. 

The male grabbed the zipper and pulled it down before the girl could even react. He pulled out her arms from the sleeves and threw the jacket to the ground.

"Yah! You can still keep that!" He covered his mouth and gasped. 

It was Irina. He took a step forward but after that, he couldn't move his body. 

"I can get another one, don't worry about it." Daesung said, pulling her into his chest, trying to transfer his body heat onto her. Irina froze in his hold. 

Byunghee watch the two exchange a hug; he felt as if his heart were like fine china, thrown onto the ground, breaking into a million pieces. Daesung let go of her and held her by the shoulders, their bodies close. 

He couldn't believe it. No, he refused to believe it. 

He watched the two disappear into the night until he couldn't see their figures any longer. He stood up from the bench and walked back to the place he was renting out in the meantime. 

Byunghee couldn't quite exactly remember what happened that night. He knew that he entered the apartment with bags filled with soju and that his vision blurred after the fifth bottle. After that, all he remembered was laughing so hard he started to cry.