Twenty-One

Without You

"We'll be leaving in two days, do you want to visit our old school before we go?" He asked her as he cleared the table. 

"Uh, sure." Irina nodded as she sat quietly in her seat. 

Daesung threw away the plastic bowls and utensils into the garbage can and wiped the table down with a disinfecting wipe. Irina watched him carefully as he cleaned. Daesung noticed this but kept quiet. 

"I know that you know that I'm watching you." 

Daesung stopped wiping the table and looked up at her. 

"I know." 

"Aren't you the least bit curious to why I am staring at you?" 

"Maybe because you've fallen for me?" 

"Aish, shut up with that." Irina crossed her arms and glared at him.

"Yeah, I'm curious." He nodded his head, letting out a small smile. 

"Do you want me to tell you?"  She raised one of her eyebrows up. 

"If I say yes, would you tell me?" 

"Maybe." 

"How about you give me a hint, and I'll guess the answer out?" 

"I guess that's a pretty good compromise." 

"Give me a hint." Het threw away the disinfecting wipe into the trash can and sat down on his chair. He propped his right elbow up and rested his head upon his fist and looked at her. 

Irina leaned onto the back of her chair and nodded her head. 

"Park." She simply stated. 

Daesung glanced up towards the ceiling and let his mind wander.

"So you know that I went out to the park we used to hang out at?" He asked. 

She nodded her head.  

"Now its my turn to ask the question. How did you know?" 

"After the accident, I came back to see if you were still here. You guys already had left, but I kept coming back every other week to see if you guys returned. I would go to the park often in case you visited and when I would get hungry, I'd eat at the noodle shop near the park." She explained, a small sad smile appeared on her face. 

Daesung looked down at his hands and bit his lip. It had been a while since he had thought of the accident. His chest tightened as he looked up at her; Irina was looking down at her lap. 

"I never got the chance to apologize." He started. 

Irina looked up at him with glazed eyes; the thought about the accident made her stomach churn. 

"It wasn't your fault anyways I-" 

"It is ... I was the reason." He replied, his voice strained. 

[flashback] 

"Hyung ... she's not who she's saying she is." Cheondoong told Daesung, handing him a big, brown envelope. Daesung took it from the younger male and read the contents. 

"No ... T-this is a lie ..." Daesung couldn't believe his eyes. 

Sul- no, Lara, the sister of his enemy has been fooling him all this time. He crumpled the envelope with his hand as he continued to look through the papers and pictures. Everything about her assignment was stated on the paper, there were photos of her leaving Seoul for Busan; there were photos of her with long orange hair then short dark hair right after. 

"I'm really sorry hyung. I wasn't able to get the information fast enough, considering she is T.O.P's sister it was harder to find them." Cheondoong explained. 

Daesung kept quiet the whole time. He couldn't get it through his mind; the person that he slowly began to trust was the number one person he had to keep away from. The person that his heart began to grow fond of was the one that would become the result of his demise. 

"What do we do hyung?" Cheondoong asked. 

"You will do nothing. I'll take care of this." He left abruptly, leaving Cheondoong alone. 

-- 

"He knows. Lite knows. Irina, you have to leave, abort this mission. It's not worth your life, we have to go." Byunghee grabbed Irina by the arm and pulled her along with him towards the front door of the house. 

"No, I'm not leaving." She pulled back. 

"We have to go! Once he finds you ... He just can't okay!" Byunghee grabbed her arm once more and forced her to leave with him. 

"Byunghee I can't leave! I need to explain myself to him! He'll understand me!" Irina insisted. 

"No he won't! He'll see you as nothing but the enemy and will do anything to kill you! Especially since you're Seunghyun's sister! We have to go!" Irina pushed him out of the way and ran out the house. 

Luckily, Byunghee left his keys to his bike inside the ignition, Irina jumped onto the bike and sped away, knowing where she'd find Daesung. 

-- 

"D-daesung when you get this message meet me by the river." Irina left yet another voicemail on Daesung's phone. 

She paced back and forth, holding tightly onto the keys of the motorcycle. 

What do I tell him? How do I explain myself out of this? Sometimes I just in' hate how I'm involved in this . 

Irina heard the familiar roar of a car and saw headlights approaching her. The car stopped in front of her and moments later Daesung emerged from inside the car. Daesung closed the door of the car and walked towards her with an expressionless face. 

"D-daesung we need to talk." Irina stated as he stood in front of her with a piercing glare. 

"Yes, yes we do Sulli, oh, I mean Lara." Daesung spat at her, making Irina flinch at his bitter tone. 

"I-" 

"How the can you do this to me? I trusted you. I treated you as someone of importance and turns out you're the sister of my ing enemy! Are you Choi's that in' horrible? Wasn't it enough that your brother ed me over in the past and now you have to do the same?!" 

"Daesung I-" 

"No, you won't explain yourself out of this mess. You are ing dead to me Choi Lara." His words cut through her heart; she suddenly had trouble breathing. 

He glared at her once last time before walking back to his car and leaving her alone in the cold, dark evening. Irina stood there for who knows how long until she decided to go back to the house. She placed the keys into the ignition and started the bike. 

"What the ?!" Irina cursed, realizing that the gas was on empty. 

"!" She yelled out loud, getting off of the motocycle. She grabbed the keys from the ignition and left the bike. 

The chilly wind cut through her jacket, biting her skin as she walked back to the house. She stuffed her hands inside the pockets of the jacket as she walked. She noticed that bright lights were behind her, signaling that a car was near. She looked back and saw that the car was directly behind her. She moved to the side, and so did the car. 

"....." She muttered, realizing what was happening. 

She broke into a sprint, stupidly hoping that she would out-run the car. She heard the engine roar, the cars tires scraping against the pavement signaling that whoever the driver was increased the speed of the car. 

Tears trickled down her face as she pushed herself to run faster; she heard the car near her; she thought that she felt the front of the car hit her calves, she ran even faster. 

She turned to her right, hoping she'd trick the car into moving but she was too slow. She looked back and saw that the car was at least six feet away from her. The lights were too bright, making it hard for her to see who was the driver. 

As she ran, Irina lost her footing, causing her to fall backward; she knew that the car front was near her. She propped her hand onto the front of the car and pushed herself upwards with all her strength. As she did so, she smashed against the windshield of the car. Hundred pieces of glass exploded around her, some sticking right into her skin. She collided into the driver as he let go of the wheel, the car swerving out of the road. Because of the impact, Irina flew back out of the car and out to the road, her body colliding on the pavement. The car hit a tree, instantly bursting into flames. 

Irina stirred, groaning in pain. She managed to push herself up from the ground with her left arm that was luckily not as damaged as her right. As she tried to recollect her memories, she out. 

-- 

Byunghee paced in front of the emergency room, muttering curse words under his breath. He heard heavy footsteps approach him. 

"WHERE IS SHE!?" Seunghyun growled, bringing up the younger male up by his collar. 

"I-I'm sorry hyung but she's in the E.R. right now." 

"WHAT. THE. . HAPPENED." 

"I-I-I don't know! I arrived when they got her into the ambulance! The car in the scene was one of-" 

"K.O?" 

"N-no hyung it was one of T-taehyun's men." Seunghyun dropped Byunghee and exhaled deeply. 

"Bring that motherer to me. Tell Cheolyong to bring that ing bastard to me." Byunghee nodded, running out of the hospital in a flash. 

--

"Daesung-ah." Daesung looked up to see Jiyong. 

"H-hyung-ie!" Daesung hiccuped, letting go of the glass of beer he held. 

"We have to get you home." Jiyong pushed the glass away, grabbing Daesung by the shoulder. 

"A-ani! I don't wanna!" Daesung pouted childishly. 

"We have to go Daesung, tonight is not a good night for this." He slung Daesung's arm around his shoulder and pulled him up from his seat. Jiyong dragged the younger male to the parking lot. 

"She broke my heart Hyung. Who knew? Haha, I trusted her hyung! I trusted her so much and this had to happen." Daesung cried out.

"We'll talk about this when you're sober, okay?" Jiyong pushed Daesung into the passengers seat.

-- 

"Should we tell him?" Cheondoong asked Jiyong in a hushed tone. Daesung was sleeping on the couch as the two talked. 

"I don't think now is a good time to tell him." Jiyong replied. 

Daesung stirred in his sleep, waking up with a headache. 

"Tell who what?" He mumbled as he rubbed his temples. 

"Hyung ..." Cheondoong started but Jiyong stopped him.

Daesung snapped out of his daze and stood up from the couch. 

"Tell me." His voice was demanding. 

"Sul- I-I mean Lara ... She's in the hospital. One of Taehyun's men tried to run her over. H-her condition is not so well." Cheondoong explained. 

"W-what?!" 

"H-he followed you when you talked to her by the river and he started to chase her with the car once you left. She managed to not get hit by the car but she slammed herself against the windshield by trying to avoid being run over." 

Daesung's heart dropped. 

"No." 

"Hyung-" 

"I need to see her!" 

"Her brother has the whole hospital surrounded, you won't even get within 40 feet range of the hospital without guns positioned at your skull. You can't go see her." 

Daesung sat back down onto the couch, feeling helpless. 

"It's all my fault." 

"Hyung ..." 

"If I wasn't so angry and left her there, this wouldn't have happened!" He slammed his fist down the couch. 

[end of flashback] 

"If I had listened to you ..." Daesung buried his head into his hands. 

"No, don't say that, you didn't know." Irina shook her head. 

"After all, I am Seunghyun's sister so it's a given that something like that would have happened."

"If you were my girl this wouldn't happen at all." 

"Dae-" 

"They wouldn't even get near you." 

He stood up from his seat.

"I'd be a better bodyguard than Byunghee." Irina's heart tightened at the mention of his name. 

He kneeled in front of her and held her hands. 

"Let us be real." 

 

_______ 

So one of the major happenings of the past has been revealed! 

@fyekay918 - sorry for confusing you with the three names. Irina is her real name, Lara was her gang name, and Sulli was the name she chose to use when she was spying on Daesung and his gang. I hope this cleared up things for you ^^

In the flashback, They referred to her as 'Lara' because no one (except for Seunghyun and his gang) knew that Irina was her true name.