Twenty-Three

Without You

Irina stared up at the ceiling feeling no sign of drowsiness whatsoever. She tossed and turned inside her bed, sighing every now and then. She brought her pillow up to her face and pressed it down, letting out a frustrated squeal. She placed the pillow back down on the bed and rest her head upon it, closing her eyes momentarily. 

"This seriously ..." She mumbled under her breath. 

Conflicted by her emotions, she shut her eyes tightly, trying to push the thoughts out of her head but it was no use. She knew that she had to face her feelings sooner or later, though she'd rather face them later. 

She sat up from the bed and got out of her room to get a glass of water. Coincidentally, Daesung had gotten up from his bed to get a glass of water for him as well; he too couldn't fall asleep. 

They both stood awkwardly inside the kitchen; Daesung scratched his head while Irina held onto her left arm, swinging her body slightly back and forth. 

"Hey." The two said in unison. 

Irina forcefully coughed out loud while Daesung smiled sheepishly. 

"Can't fall asleep?" He asked her. 

She nodded her head. 

"Me either." He said. 

"I noticed."

"Were you getting water?" He asked her. 

"Yeah ..." 

"S-same ..." 

The two stood in the dark kitchen in silence. Daesung took a deep breath and exhaled loudly. 

"Okay." He started. 

Irina looked at him weirdly. 

"Since we're both awake right now, let's go out." He decided. 

"Are you crazy? It's 3 am in the morning!" 

"So? No one will bother us, isn't that perfect?" 

"You are really something Kang Daesung." Irina crossed her arms in front of her chest and looked at him with a ridiculous stare. 

"Yah, just come with me, okay?" He said, grabbing her wrist. 

"W-wait! I need to dress into decent clothing! Or at least get a sweater!" She protested as Daesung pulled her with him towards the front door. 

"Aish, just take this." Daesung handed her a black jacket that was draped onto the couch. He took the keys from the counter and the two quickly put on shoes and got out the door.

They both ran in the darkness with the moon as their only source of light, Irina stared at the back of Daesung's head as he pulled her along with him. They reached a familiar park close to the house. 

"Really? Instead of staying inside a toasty house, we go to a cold, mosquito-infested park at 3 am in the morning?" Irina scoffed.

"We shouldn't waste time while we're here, after all, we only have two days left." 

"Well then Mr. Let-us-seize-the-day, what is your first plan?" Irina placed her hands onto her hips, looking at the male. 

"I've always wanted to ride a boat in the lake." He pointed at the fairly large body of water behind her. Irina turned around and opened wide.

There was no way she'd get onto a boat with him at this hour. She refused! Irina then crossed her arms in front of her chest and glared at the male. She started to shake her head 'no' at his idea and continued to glare. 

"Com'on, it's not like we'll fall into the water and freeze our asses off!" He grabbed her by the wrist. 

"Hey- Wait!" Irina yelled as Daesung pulled her along with him towards a small shed next to the lake.

Daesung entered the shed and brought along with him two paddles. He handed one to her, which she reluctantly held onto. Daesung then made his way nearer the lake, with her following closeby. He stopped in front of a medium-sized boat, perfect for two people to sit on either side. Daesung placed the paddle he was holding inside the boat and went towards the left side. Irina placed her paddle and ran to the opposite side, holding onto the ends of the boat. 

Daesung pushed the boat towards Irina while she pulled the boat, walking backwards. Soon after, they got the boat to float. They climbed in and grabbed the wooden oars and started to paddle them against the water, slowly and shakily moving the boat. 

"Hey look! We're doing it!" Daesung giggled like a little boy, his eyes forming cresents as he paddled. 

Irina looked at him; her heart started to beat against her chest, her body was suddenly heating up. She smiled at him and continued to paddle as well. 

After much work, mostly because Irina decided to take intiative and paddle more efficiently than Daesung who was practically splashing water here and there with his paddle, they reached the middle of the lake. Irina placed the paddle down on the boats floor and sat down more comfortably. Daesung did the same and looked up at the sky. 

"Isn't this fun?" He asked her, breaking the comfortable silence. 

Irina scoffed at him and laughed sarcastically. 

"Sure, it was fun for you. I was the one that worked hard to paddle the freakin' boat to the middle. All you did was make noise and get our feet wet." She stuck her tongue out at him. 

"Yah, I didn't! I so helped!" He whined like a baby. 

"Uh-huh infamous man, sure. Tell yourself that to feed your male ego." Irina then blew a raspberry at him. 

"Aish, you've gotten comfortable, eh? Acting all familiar with me." He raised his eyebrow as he had a playful smirk on his face. 

"Fine, I'll act cold and distant from you." Irina crossed her arms and faced her body to the side. 

"Y-yah, Irina, I was just kidding!" Daesung took back his words, inching closer to the female. 

"Whatever, I'm not talking to you as of right now." She stuck her nose up in the air and didn't take one look at Daesung. 

"Aish, you're such a drama queen." 

"Please, you're the dramatic one here." 

"Am not." 

"Are too!" 

"Am not!" 

"Aish, You are!" 

"Gah, this is a pointless argument!" Daesung puffed up his cheeks, crossing his arms like a five year old. 

As they both glared at each other, their stomachs growled simultaneously. Their glares softened and soon the two started to laugh hysterically. 

"Oh my gosh! Your stomach sounded so weird, ha ha ha!" Daesung held onto this stomach as he laughed uncontrollably. 

"My stomach is weird? Yours made a wayyy freakier sound! It sounds like a dinosaur is in there!" Irina laughed, tears coming out of her eyes. 

Due to their uncontrolled laughter, the boat started to creak and shake. Irina felt that her seat started to wobble, she stopped laughing. 

"Yah, I think something is wrong." Irina said, stopping the laughing Daesung. 

"What, what is it?" He asked, looking at the boat. 

"I feel it creaking ... I think the boat is about to break! We have to paddle!" Before the two could even grab the paddles, the boat cracked right in the middle, submerging the two inside the cold water. 

"!" Irina cursed, accidentally drinking some of the lake water. Daesung was shivering uncontrollably as they both floated in the middle of the lake. 

They both swam to the land, Irina lying down on the grass after. Daesung stood next to her, trying to wipe the water from his face. 

"Get up. We should go home before we catch a cold."

Daesung offered his hand to her. Irina nodded and grabbed his hand, pulling her off the ground. Irina stumbled causing her to trip forward towards Daesung who immediately wrapped his arms around her to keep her from falling onto the ground. Their eyes locked; her heartbeat increased as his did. The two shrugged it off and pulled away from each other, a definite flash of pink on their cheeks.

"C-com'on, let's go." Daesung turned away from her, clutching his chest. 

My heartbeat, . He cursed in his mind. 

Irina followed closely behind Daesung as they both made their way back to the house. Daesung didn't turn once as they walked back home. Irina felt disappointed at his act but tried to shrug it off. She held herself as they walked, rubbing her arms to keep her warm. She sneezed, causing Daesung to stop in his tracks. Irina didn't notice and kept walking, so she bumped into his back. 

"S-sorry." She stuttered, as she wiped her nose. 

"This is making you worse." Daesung referred to the jacket she was wearing which was still soaked from the water. Daesung grabbed the zipper and pulled it down before Irina could even react. He pulled out her arms from the sleeves and threw the jacket to the ground. 

"Yah! You can still keep that!" She argued. 

"I can get another one, don't worry about it." He said, pulling her into his chest, trying to transfer his body heat onto her. 

Irina froze in his hold, her heart started to beat fast again. Daesung secretly smiled at her reaction and held her tighter, wanting to savor the moment. After a few minutes, he let go of her and grabbed her hand. She looked up at him curiously. 

"Stand closer to me, you're still freezing." He pulled her close to his side, his arm securely around her shoulder. 

The two walked back to the house in silence. Once they got to the front door, Daesung pulled out his keys and opened the door. 

"I guess going out at 3 in the morning was a bad idea." Daesung said, causing Irina to laugh lightly, nodding her head in agreement. 

They entered the toasty, warm house, Irina felt her arms warm up slowly. 

"You should take a shower first. I'll go after you." Daesung said. 

"O-okay." Irina replied, walking to the bathroom. 

-- 

"." Irina cursed. 

She forgot to bring clothes to change in, leaving her in a towel. She held the top of the towel as she walked to the door. As soon as she opened the door, Daesung was about to knock on the door. Irina took a step back, surprised. 

"Sorry I took so long." Irina apologised. 

"No, it's fine." Daesung reassured her. 

"You can use the bathroom now." Irina took a step forward as Daesung moved to the side so she could leave the bathroom. 

Irina walked to her room, shutting the door. She grabbed shorts and a shirt and quickly put them on. She sat on the bed and dried her hair with the towel, not wanting to sleep with extremely wet hair. 

After ten minutes, she heard a knock on her door. She placed the towel back on the bed and walked to the door. Daesung stood in the doorframe with his towel on his head as small droplets of water fell from strands of his hair. He was wearing a black shirt and shorts. 

"Hey." He greeted her with a smile. 

"Hi." She smiled shyly at him. 

"Well, I hope you sleep well. I wanted to apologise for dragging you to the park." 

"No, it was fun. I'm glad I came, even though we fell in the water." 

"I'm glad you had fun." He told her. She nodded. 

"Well ... Goodnight." He said to her. 

"Goodnight." She started to close the door. 

"Wait." Daesung pushed the door back and took a step forward. 

"Wha-" Daesung kissed her fully on the lips, his arms wrapping around her waist, pulling her closer to him. Her arms instantly wrapped around his neck, accepting the kiss whole-heartedly. 

The two kissed passionately in front of her doorframe until they needed to break apart to breathe. Their foreheads touched as the two tried to regain their breathing, a playful smile grew on Daesung's face. 

"I didn't even need a day to convince you." 

"Who said you needed to convince me? I've been yours." She replied, kissing him lightly on his lips. 

I'm going to accept my feelings towards him. I don't want to fight them any longer.