One

Without You

I woke up at the sound of my alarm clock. I lazily hit it, missing a few times until I hit the snooze button. 

The realization of school happening in an hour hit me, making me jolt out of my bed in a hurry. 
 
Twenty minutes later, I'm finished getting ready. I run downstairs to grab my backpack and out of the door.
 
The cool morning breeze greeted me as I walked down the street. I passed by the local bakery and the ahjumma gave me hot, fresh bread inside a brown paper bag. I thank her briefly and make my way towards school. 
 
I check the clock on my phone and I see that there was thirty minutes till school starts. I make my way towards the school rooftop. I sat on the edge of the rooftop, next to the ladder. I take a bite from the bread and look up at the sky. 
 
This was what I usually did before class started. I didn't want to bother with the students in the school because they're irrelevant to me. I finished the bread after two minutes and started to swing my dangling legs. 
 
I sighed out loud and checked the time. Class doesn't start in another fifteen minutes, I stood up from the ledge. I grabbed my backpack and walked towards the exit. I quickly walked down the staircase and to my first class. 
 
"Well if it isn't the Loser." An annoying voice announces from behind me. A few people snicker. 
 
I ignore the voice and kept walking towards my class. Suddenly, I was grabbed by the arm, causing me to stop at my tracks. 
 
"Hey, Loser, I'm talking to your stupid ." The person growled. 
 
I look back to see that the voice belonged to Suri, the 'bully' of the school. She and her 'gang' preyed on people who didn't have any friends; they would give them incredibly lame names (like mine) and would harass them every time they would walk in the halls. 
 
I gave her an indifferent look. 
 
"Loser, answer when I'm talking to you!" Her whiny voice made my ears hurt. 
 
I kept my facial expression looking uninterested. 
 
"Are you deaf of just plain stupid? Answer me!" She repeated. 
 
I yawned and wiggled my arm out of her grasp. I gave her a mocking salute and walked to my class. 
 
I felt someone grab my arm once more. 
 
This was getting annoying. 
 
Then I felt a punch land on my cheek, causing me to stumble back a bit. I moved my jaw and touched my face. It didn't sting that much. 
 
"Next time you don't reply, you'll get something worse than that, Loser." Suri snickered and walked away with her gang, laughing. 
 
I let out a sarcastic chuckle. 
 
Like I'd give you a chance to really touch me.
 
I shook my head and proceeded to class. I sat in my seat and waited for the teacher and the other students to arrive. I laid my head down on the desk and closed my eyes briefly. 
 
Oh how I miss you right now. 
 
The bell rang, causing me to jolt back up into a seating position. Chatty students piled inside the classroom, the teacher walking past towards the crowd of students to her table. 
 
"Hi Irina!" A cheerful voice greeted. 
 
I looked up to see that it was one of the few kids in this school that tried to befriend me. 
 
"Uh … hi Charles." I awkwardly greeted back. 
 
He sat next to me so naturally he tried to befriend me. 
 
"So, if you're not busy or anything, do you want to sit with my friends and I during lunch?" He asked hopefully. 
 
He knew that I was being targeted by Suri and her crew, so by hanging out with them, I'd instantly be taken out of their bully list. I didn't  mind being pestered by Suri and her gang, I usually block them out whenever I hear them so it wasn't that bad. 
 
"No, its fine. I have to do something during lunch. Thank you for the offer though." I sort of felt bad that I declined his offer, but I had to. I can't get attached to anyone. 
 
Well, this time, I can't get attached. 
 
-- 
 
The bell rang for the last period of class to end, I took my time packing my things into my backpack. By the time I was finished, everyone else left the room. I took my time walking to my locker, not really paying attention to my surroundings. I reached my locker and opened it. I placed the books inside and shut my locker closed. 
 
I walked towards the entrance of the school when my shoulder was grabbed from behind. 
 
"YOU!" It was Suri again. 
 
I exhaled deeply and looked blankly at her. 
 
"ARE YOU REALLY THAT DUMB?!" She yelled out-loud, causing a few students to look towards us. Some stopped walking and started to watch. 
 
I didn't reply and kept my face stoic. 
 
She growled, frustrated at my lack of response. 
 
"You little , you think you're so great, huh?" Her hand reached for my hair when I immediately smacked it away. 
 
Some of the students gasped at my reaction. 
 
"DID YOU SEE THAT?"
 
"OMO HER REFLEXES ARE SO FAST!"
 
I heard a few say. Suri had open wide, a shocked expression plastered on her face. Soon that expression turned into an angry one. 
 
"YOU LITTLE !" She lunged towards me; I swiftly moved to the side, causing her to fall face flat onto the floor. 
 
Students all around us started to erupt in laughter. This was the first time they  had seen their notorious bully be embarrassed by her prey. 
 
I started to walk away when I felt someone grab my ankle. By reflex, I kicked back and shrugged the hand away. I hear a loud pained cry behind me. I didn't bother to look back and kept walking. 
 
I left the school without turning my back once; as I left, students ran back into the building as I faintly hear moans of agony. 
 
Did that kick hurt someone? Hmm … Its not like I cared, anyways. 
 
I entered my apartment complex, dropping my backpack onto the floor next to the door. I locked my front door, taking off my shoes and walked to my kitchen. I grab a bottle of water from the fridge and quickly drank half of it in one gulp. 
 
I wiped my lips from the water with my sleeve and walked into my room. 
 
Something feels so wrong here. 
 
I turn my body to exit my room; a hand grabbed me by the waist and pulled me back. 
 
"I found you." A familiar voice whispered into my ear.