Zwanzig (20)

Some Things Never Change

The next day in Seoul National University, Chaeyoung showed up still with bandages and bruises on his face. Tzuyu widened his eyes and gasped. Other students also gasped and began asking Chaeyoung about what happened to him. Chaeyoung laughed dryly.

"Relax guys, I'm fine! There was a slight misunderstanding, but it's alright now!" He explained.

"Don't tell me, you're bullied again?" Tzuyu asked.

"No, no, it was just a misunderstanding! It's fine!" Chaeyoung assured.

Tzuyu was still skeptical.

"I promise, it's alright, Tzuyu!" Chaeyoung added.

"You better tell me what happened!" He threatened.

Chaeyoung sighed and ended up telling Tzuyu everything.

"That guy! I swear, he gets on my nerve!" Tzuyu growled.

"Hey, hey, it was just a misunderstanding." Chaeyoung breathed.

"Misunderstanding, my !" He muttered angrily.

Chaeyoung sighed.







 

At lunchtime, Jeongyeon, still feeling guilty, joined Tzuyu and Chaeyoung on the table. Both of them stared at him in confusion.

"C-can I join you guys?" He stuttered, feeling nervous.

Tzuyu shook his head. Chaeyoung ignored that and smiled at Jeongyeon.

"Of course, hyung!" Chaeyoung chirped.

Tzuyu rolled his eyes.

"Chaeng, I'm really sorry about what happened, I wasn't thinking clearly!" Jeongyeon apologized again.

"Sorry, my !" Tzuyu blurted.

Chaeyoung fired Tzuyu a warning look then smiled at Jeongyeon.

"I told you not to worry about it, hyung!" Chaeyoung beamed.

"Um, me and Nayeon talked about a lot of things and I really wanna make it up to you for-" Jeongyeon explained but was interrupted by Chaeyoung.

"Hyung, I told you, you don't need to make it up to me, just you and Nayeon noona patching things up is fine to me." Chaeyoung beamed.

Jeongyeon looked down.

"I know." He muttered.

"It's just that Nayeon told me that you like Mina!" Jeongyeon remarked.

Tzuyu raised her eyebrow. Chaeyoung blushed.

'Gosh, am I that obvious?' Chaeyoung thought.

"Is that true?" Jeongyeon asked.

Chaeyoung didn't know what to answer. He didn't want other people to know that he liked Mina, but at the same time he didn't want to lie. He contemplated on his answer.

"Silence means yes!" Chaeyoung retorted.

Chaeyoung wanted to argue but Jeongyeon already spoke, "Chaeyoung, I will be your wingman! How does that sound?"

'Wingman...' He thought in his head.

Now that he thought about it, it wasn't such a bad idea. Jeongyeon was obviously experienced in love and he really, really liked Mina. He had been loving her ever since they were just 12. However, he didn't know if Mina liked him back or not. He didn't want to force Mina.

"I'll help you too!" Tzuyu unexpectedly blurted.

Chaeyoung widened his eyes. He had two wingmen now.

"I just have a question. Why did you agree to move in with Mina?" Jeongyeon asked.

Tzuyu raised his eyebrow again. That was a new information for him.

"Because Mina said she needed a companion, because she felt lonely living alone in her mansion." Chaeyoung replied.

"It's just that, in my opinion, it was a wrong move. You wanna make sure to impress the girl first and I don't think that Mina seeing you when you aren't at your best is a good idea." Jeongyeon explained.

Chaeyoung looked down.

"Is there no hope then?" Chaeyoung asked, worried.

"Not necessarily. I mean, the fact that she trusted you so much to let you live with her tells me something, but I just think it's weird that she's comfortable enough with you seeing her when she's not at her best. I personally think it's a red flag." Jeongyeon went on.

"You're saying that Mina doesn't like me?" Chaeyoung asked.

"I can't say for sure, but I think you've been friendzoned!" Jeongyeon blurted.

Chaeyoung widened his eyes.

"But again, I don't know for sure!" Jeongyeon emphasized.

"Maybe, she does, I don't know for sure, but I will also get Nayeon to help. They go to the same university after all." Jeongyeon added.

"Nayeon also found it strange that Mina was not bothered by the fact that you helped Nayeon learn how to cook. You saw my reaction, Chaeyoung. I'm not justifying what I did, but any boyfriend would be horrified if they witnessed what I did." Jeongyeon continued.

"Next time, just please don't touch Nayeon! I would really appreciate that!" Jeongyeon seethed.

"I-I was just trying to help!" Chaeyoung stuttered.

"I know, but really, next time, just don't!" Jeongyeon breathed.

Chaeyoung nodded.

"And this Jimin guy...." Jeongyeon trailed.

"Did you know that Mina and Jimin practice ballet dance every morning? Alone, just the two of them!" Jeongyeon asked.

Chaeyoung smiled bitterly.

"You're fine with it?" Jeongyeon asked.

"She told me, he was amazing at ballet." He muttered.

"No matter what, a guy and a girl alone, everyday, sounds really suspicious, don't you think?" Jeongyeon hinted.

"You're not jealous?" Jeongyeon questioned.

"Of course, I am!" Chaeyoung snapped. "You should see the way she talks about him!"

Chaeyoung rolled his eyes.

"I don't wanna jump into conclusions, but it seems like Mina likes Jimin." Jeongyeon revealed.

Chaeyoung sighed. Of course, he knew it was possible, he just didn't know if he was ready to be content on just being a best friend to Mina. He had liked her for 6 years. 6 years without meeting Mina, not even knowing how she was doing all those years. Yet, his feeelings for Mina didn't change one bit. The moment he saw Mina at his mother's graveyard, his heart instantly leaped with joy, banging against his ribcage.

"I heard, you've liked her since middle school?" Jeongyeon asked.

Chaeyoung nodded.

"Well then, it's about time, then!" Jeongyeon remarked.

"What do you mean?" Chaeyoung asked.

"6 long years, Chaeyoung! Make a move! Ask her out! If she rejects you, then you're gonna have to accept it! You're gonna have to move on, Chaeyoung! It's gonna hurt a lot, but it's not healthy holding onto someone for so many years, when that person is not in love with you! It's for you and her!" Jeongyeon explained.

Chaeyoung looked down.

"I'm not ready." Chaeyoung breathed.

"Then, when will you ever be? 6 years Chaeyoung! I'm not pressuring you, but you know sooner or later you have to do it, right?" Jeongyeon questioned.

"I know." Chaeyoung faintly replied.

"Don't worry! Me, Nayeon, Momo, and, um, Tzuyu will help you!" Jeongyeon assured.

Chaeyoung gave a weak smile and sighed.

'I don't know if I'm ready' He thought.

Just the thought of Mina rejecting him made his stomach churn.