Fifty One

A Love She Deserves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Gracias!" Hye Yeon thanked the driver before she closed the door of the passenger seat. She looks around and smiles.

 

Hye Yeon is in Garachico, a municipality in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain. She is not supposed to come to that island, but when she was in Madrid, she saw a pamphlet about the town, and it piques her interest. Hence, she is in Garachico.

 

She checks her phone to check the address of her rented place. She uses GPS to find it. She finds the house quickly and glad that the host of the house speaks English. The host leads her to the room and left her after telling her some information. Her room is cozy, and it has its bathroom. There are a shared kitchen, dining area, and living room. Hye Yeon meets an American couple who are celebrating their 10th anniversary through traveling.

 

After Hye Yeon get some rest and freshen up, she decided to explore the town and probably try some local cuisine.

 

Hye Yeon has been all over Europe for the past six weeks. She went to Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Greece, Bulgaria, and Romania. Spain was her next stop, and she is planning to visit Portugal, Ireland, Iceland, and Turkey soon.

 

Hye Yeon is walking in Plaza de la Libertad at that moment. It's almost sunset, and children are playing on the plaza. Two were chasing each other, heading directly to Hye Yeon so, she avoided them, but she bumped into someone.

 

"I'm sorry,” Hye Yeon said in Korean, “I mean, Lo Siento," she apologizes to the man. The man looks up to her and smiles. "It's okay. No worries," he said in his thick English accent that somehow sounds like Korean. Hye Yeon looks at the man. He is tall, a bit tan with a nice built. He is wearing a plain shirt, black pants, and sneakers. He is carrying an eco-bag with vegetables in it. He looks Asian, but some Asian somehow looks Hispanic. Maybe a Filipino?

 

The man is staring at her, too, and smiles. "You’re Korean?" the man asks in Korean.

 

Hye Yeon was surprised, but she smiles. "Yes," The man nods and looks around before looking back at her, "You must be a tourist," he held his hand out for Hye Yeon. "I'm Kim Shi Hwan”

 

Hye Yeon shook his hand, "Choi Hye Yeon," she let go of his hand.

 

"Bienvenido a Garachico," Shi Hwan said in his Spanish accent. Hye Yeon smiles awkwardly and nods. It’s been a while since she interacts with a Korean person aside calling Young Jae and Gwang Jae from time to time. It’s refreshing, and it makes her miss her brothers and South Korea.

 

“So, what brings you on this island?” he asks.

 

“Just a vacation. I saw a pamphlet of it in Madrid so, I decided to visit,” Hye Yeon explains while waving her hand in the air. Shi Hwan nods.

 

"You must be missing Korean food, huh?” he teases her. Hye Yeon chuckles and agrees with him.

 

“Yeah. The last time I ate Korean food was kind of disappointing,” she shrugs and grins sheepishly. Shi Hwan chuckles. “How about as a welcome gift, let me treat you a meal,” he suggested.

 

Hye Yeon blinks, “Oh, no. You don’t have to,” she shook her head.

 

“I insist. My wife and I own a restaurant nearby. We serve Asian foods, mostly Korean, of course," he said. Hye Yeon smiles upon hearing they serve Korean food.

 

"I will pay a fortune for a kimchi jigae and potato jeon," she mutters.

 

"Perfect! I think my wife is cooking 'kimchi jigae' right now. I could make a quick potato jeon for you," Shi Hwan said. "Let's go?"

 

Hye Yeon nodded and followed Shi Hwan. As they head to Shi Hwan and his wife's restaurant, Hye Yeon found out that Shi Hwan met his wife in Madrid two years ago. After a month, they start dating, and three months later, they got married. They opened their restaurant last year, and it's the only restaurant that serves Korean food on the island of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

 

When they arrived at the restaurant, Hye Yeon is amazed who cozy and inviting the place is.

 

"Yeobo, we have a guest," Shi Hwan calls his wife. From the restaurant kitchen, a woman came out wearing her apron. Her hair is tied up in a messy bun. Hye Yeon paused upon seeing her. The woman smiles happily when she saw her.

 

"Choi Hye Yeon!"

 

"Yoon Ji Eun!" Hye Yeon breathes. Ji Eun approaches Hye Yeon and hugs her. “I’m so happy to see you again, Hye Yeon-ah,” Ji Eun said as she let go of her. Hye Yeon was speechless after seeing Ji Eun again. She hasn’t seen her for a long time, ever since she runaways from Dong Joon on their wedding day.

 

Then, Hye Yeon remembers the presence of Shi Hwan. “Wait! You’re married!” Hye Yeon pointed out.

 

Ji Eun laughs, “We haven’t seen each other for years, and that’s the first thing you ask me? Yes, I am married,” Ji Eun giggled “I read on the news that you are on hiatus now. I thought you’re going back to Seoul to visit your family,” Ji Eun said. Then she looks at her husband who is watching them with amusement. Ji Eun smiles at Shi Hwan.

 

“You two have a seat and talk. I will just prepare something for Hye Yeon,” Shi Hwan said before he heads to the kitchen. Ji Eun directs Hye Yeon to one of the tables. Ji Eun is so different from the woman the Hye Yeon used to know. The restaurant heiress who has a model-like image, with her stylish clothes, accessories, and full make-up is now a woman in her simple t-shirt and jeans, rubber shoes; an apron tied on her waist, a curry hair and only has pink lipstick on.

 

Ji Eun noticed that Hye Yeon was staring at her curiously. Then, she looks down at her clothes before she glances back at Hye Yeon.

 

“Sorry, I was finishing up the kimchi jigae. I look like a mess, huh?” Ji Eun grins shyly.

 

“No. You’re still beautiful. I didn’t know that you are more beautiful without the glam and all,” Hye Yeon mutters. Ji Eun reaches for Hye Yeon’s hands and holds it. “How are you, Choi Hye Yeon?” Ji Eun asks.

 

Hye Yeon and Ji Eun talk at their heart's content. They even move to the outdoor table so they can talk freely without disturbing the customers. Shi Hwan serves them food and drinks. Hye Yeon was so thankful. Ji Eun and Hye Yeon talk about what happened to their lives that they even continue it at Hye Yeon’s rented room. Ji Eun stayed with her but, she offers their home for Hye Yeon to stay as long as Hye Yeon is in Garachico.

 

Hye Yeon agrees with Ji Eun. She checked out the next morning. Ji Eun and Shi Hwan have a lovely home. She also meets their house helper, Corazon. Corazon is in her mid-50, and she has two children that work for Ji Eun and Shi Hwan as restaurant staff. Shi Hwan told his wife to spend a day with Hye Yeon and show her around the town.

 

Ji Eun and Hye Yeon spend the day together. Ji Eun shows her tourist spots and some restaurant that serves authentic Spanish cuisines. Ji Eun asks Hye Yeon about turning her book into a film, and Hye Yeon indulges her.

 

They are currently in the overlooking spot where

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter