Forty Eight

A Love She Deserves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hye Yeon is in her home office, doing some scriptwriting for a potential drama she wants to submit to KEBN. She wants to be productive and busy as much as possible to divert her attention so she won’t overthink.

Suddenly, her phone rings. She checks who it is. It was Dong Joon, who’s currently in Beijing at that moment for a business meeting. She answers it. Dong Joon smiles upon seeing his girlfriend’s face.

“Hello, love,” he greets her.

“Hi,” she said shyly.

“What are you doing?” Dong Joon asked Hye Yeon.

“I’m just writing something” Hye Yeon shrugs as she rests her back on her seat. “How about you?”

“I will have a lunch meeting with some Chinese TV producer regarding the Chinese –Korean TV drama the company is working on. I wish you were here,” Dong Joon frowns. Hye Yeon giggles and stares at her boyfriend’s face on her cellphone screen.

“When will you come home?” she asks.

“Next week. There’s a business conference this weekend in Singapore that I need to attend. I will give some speech,” he sighs. Hye Yeon sits up straight. “Wow. That’s something big. Why you didn’t tell me?”

“It’s nothing. It’s just a speech.” Dong Joon shrugs.

“Yes, a speech from the CEO and President of KEBN, who happens to be my boyfriend. I happen to be interested because I am an employee and girlfriend at the same time.” She points out. Dong Joon smiles and shook his head. “Are you that interested in me?”

“Totally,” she answered immediately. Dong Joon laughs heartily as Hye Yeon watches him. Seeing Dong Joon regularly calms Hye Yeon, even it’s just a video or a picture of him. That is why she placed pictures of her and Dong Joon in the living room, the kitchen, office, and bedroom, to Gwang Jae’s dismay when he saw the picture in the living room.

“I’m very much interested in you too, love,” Dong Joon said. Hye Yeon wants to swoon at that moment.

“Oppa?”

“Yes?”

“Can you… Can you come to my place immediately when you arrived?” she asked.

Dong Joon smiles upon hearing what she said. “You don’t have to ask to. I will be there when I arrived,” he assures her. Hye Yeon smiles timidly. Dong Joon looks at his side and Hye Yeon heard someone speaking. Dong Joon just nods and looks back at her. “I need to go. They have arrived. I will call you again tonight. Okay?”

“Okay. Good luck with the meeting,” she said.

“Thanks. Bye, love.”

“Bye” she mutters and the call ended. She sets her phone aside and sighs. She looks at the picture frame of her and Dong Joon on the table. Dong Joon has been busy lately. The last time she saw him in person was the night before his flight to China, which is five days ago. It was the time she saw him again after being too busy. She didn’t even tell him what happened to her when she went to Yoo An and Sung Woo’s coffee shop. She’s been hearing Na Ji Woo’s voice and having nightmares about the accident for three weeks and she’s helpless. She’s ashamed to talk to anyone about it and she doesn’t want to worry them.

 Hye Yeon stood up to get some water when she stops on her track and looks around. She feels like someone is in her house. She took her phone with her and went to the kitchen. She gets some glass and opens the fridge to pour some water in her glass.

‘Ms. Choi.’

Hye Yeon let go of her glass as it breaks into pieces on the floor. She looks around to find who called her. Then she heard a faint laugh. It’s getting louder and louder as seconds go by. She runs towards her room and closes the door. She still can hear that too familiar malevolent laugh. She went to the bathroom to hide. She covers her ears with her hands.

“Stop. Please stop!” she said to no one.

‘He’s mine, Ms. Choi.’

“Stop!!!” tears start to form in Hye Yeon’s eyes. She looks around for an escape but none. She went inside the bathtub and sat down while still covering her ears.

“Help me… Please… Help me…” she mutters while crying as she continues to hear the manic laugh of Na Ji Woo.

---

Song Yi is smiling happily as she goes up to Hye Yeon’s apartment. She and her husband tend to check on Hye Yeon from time to time. Gwang Jae worries too much for Hye Yeon. Song Yi does too but she doesn’t want to be obvious about it. She’s carrying a paper bag of pastries for Hye Yeon.

Song Yi rings the doorbell and waited. No one is answering. She tried again. None. She took out her phone to check if Hye Yeon has a message to her that she’s going out. She tries calling her but her phone is just ringing. Song Yi breathes in to stay calm. She pressed the lock code of Hye Yeon’s apartment and let herself in.

The living room is empty. Son Y checked the home office before she went to the kitchen. She immediately noticed the broken glass on the floor and the door of the fridge are open. She places the paper bag of pastry on the kitchen counter.

“Hye Yeon? Where are you?” she calls. She went to the bedroom to check on her. The room is empty too but she can hear a muttering sound. She looks at the bathroom door. She went there and opens it. She saw Hye Yeon on the bathtub, covering her ears and muttering.

“Please. Help me. Help me…” Hye Yeon said while her eyes are closed. Song Yi approaches her and kneels on the side of the tub. She touches Hye Yeon’s hand. “Hye Yeon…”

Hye Yeon flinched and opens her eyes to look at her. It took Hye Yeon a few seconds to recognize her. “Song Yi Unnie…”

“I’m here, Hye Yeon,” Song Yi smiles at her. Hye Yeon immediately holds on to her hand. “Unnie, help me. Please help me,” she starts crying again. “I can hear her. It’s her. I know it’s her. I… I’m scared. Help me, Unnie. Pease,” Hye Yeon begs Song Yi.

“Come on, stand up, and let’s get you comfy. It’s too cold here,” Song Yi said as she helps Hye Yeon stand up and guided her back to her bed. She let her sit on the edge and sat down beside her. Hye Yeon is still tense and wouldn’t let go of her hand.

“It’s okay, Hye Yeon, I’m here. Noona is here,” Song Yi pats her back. “Breathe, Hye Yeon.”

Hye Yeon took a deep breath and released it. She repeats it until she feels well. She let go of Song Yi’s hand and covers her face. “I’m sorry, Unnie,”

“You don’t have to say sorry. But I need you to tell me what’s happening,” Song Yi asks her. Hye Yeon removed her hands from her face and looks at Song Yi. Song Yi wipes the traces of tears on Hye Yeon’s face. Hye Yen is hesitant to tell Song Yi what’s happening to her. She just wanted to hide and cry.

“Choi Hye Yeon!” Song Yi hissed. Hye Yeon flinches. Song Yi sighs and softens a bit “I can’t help you if you wouldn’t tell me.” She said.

Hye Yeon stares down at her lap. “Three weeks ago, when I decided to go out after the accident, I encounter something that’s been haunting me for weeks now.” She paused and breathes. “When I left KEBN to visit Yoo An and Sung Woo’s coffee shop, I heard a voice calling me. I keep on hearing until I can hear it. It’s Na Ji Woo. Since then, whenever I’m alone or my mind is blank, I keep on hearing her. I’m having nightmares about the accident. It’s been bothering me for weeks. I feel so helpless and restless, it’s exhausting,” Hye Yeon rubs her face. “I just want her to stop but it’s like when she knows I’m alone, she’ll be there,” she sniffs.

“Hye Yeon-ah, why didn’t you tell us? Why you didn’t tell Dong Joon?” Song Yi asks in concern.

“I don’t want you all to worry about me. And I feel embarrassed about it,” she mutters. Song Yi took her hand. “Choi Hye Yeon, we’re your family. Dong Joon is your boyfriend. Of course, we will worry about

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter