Four

A Love She Deserves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Young Jae is busy grilling the meat while Hye Yeon was the one preparing the lettuce wrapped meat for her and Young Jae. He told her a lot of stuff about France. He even explores the southern part of the country and countries nearby. Hye Yeon shares her work experience and her recent trip to Jinju. As Young Jae continues to drink and grill, Hye Yeon can help but stare at him. Young Jae noticed that she's quiet so he looked at her.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Do I have dirt on my face?" he asked. Hye Yeon shook her head and smiled. "I'm just happy that you're back." Young Jae smiles as he continues to grill the meat while cutting some of it.

"So, have you dated anyone while I'm gone?" he asked suddenly. Hye Yeon was caught off-guard. She grabs her drink and took a huge gulp of it.

"None. I'm busy with work." she answered.

Young Jae just nodded. "You should be. You're 28 years old. You should get married soon and start a family while you're still young."

"I'm in a relationship with my work now. He's loyal and trustworthy," she said in a deadpan tone as she gives him new wrapped meat which he eats immediately. "How about you? You're in your 30 now. Shouldn't you get married too and have a family?" she teases him.

"I will soon." Young Jae said nonchalantly. Hye Yeon was surprised. She looked at him, and him to her. "W-what?"

Young Jae grins at her. "Hye Yeon-ah, I'm getting married soon. I asked Ava last month to marry me and she said yes. I went home to tell my brother and mom but I want to tell you first."

She feels suffocated. Is this happening? "Why?" she asked.

He chuckles. "Why what?"

"Why did you tell me first?" she asked in a panicked tone. 

Young Jae put down the scissors and grilling tong and looks at her. "Because you're my best friend. You're important to me. And I know you will support me in my decision like you supported me when I decided to go to France. And besides, if you didn't reject me before, I will never go to France and meet Ava."

Hye Yeon wants to cry at that moment but she calms herself down. She smiled back at Young Jae.

"Congratulations, Oppa. I'm happy for you."

He smiles happily at her and continues grilling meat. "Thank you. And just so you know, Ava will come here this week so we can plan the wedding. She wants a Korean Traditional wedding. She even studies to speak in Korean so she can speak with Mom."

Hye Yeon laughed awkwardly. "That's nice of her." She then took another gulp of her beer until it was empty. She yells. "Auntie, another beer here please."

"Yah... You might get drunk." Young Jae told her. She brushes him off "We should celebrate. My best friend is back and he's getting married!" Then, she wrapped another meat and gave it to him.

A few hours later, Young Jae carrying Hye Yeon to her rooftop home. She was drunk and talking nonsense. When they enter her home, he immediately brings her to her room and lay her down to her bed. He removed her shoes and jacket.

"Hye Yeon-ah, sober up. You need to remove your contact lense, okay? You can't sleep without that on." Young Jae told her. She nodded and lazily tries to remove her contact lenses. Young Jae went out and look for small towel and basin so he could clean her up. He also made some tea for her. When he returned, Hye Yeon is laying down with her eyes closed.

"Hye Yeon, did you remove it?"

"Yesshhh." she muttered. 

"Come, drink this tea so you sober up."

She rises and opens her eyes. When she saw Young Jae, she smiled widely. "Young Jae-ah. You're back. You came home. You're with me." Then she giggled. Then she frowns "But you have a girlfriend. And you're getting married!" She huffed sadly and pouts her lips.

"Yes, yes. Drink this first." He places the edge of the cup on Hye Yeon's lips, she slowly drinks it until it's down, then she lies down. Young Jae grabs the small towel and wets it from the basin with warm water. He cleans up Hye Yeon's face.

"Young Jae-ah, are you happy? Are you happy with her? Does she make you happy? Does she loves you?" she muttered.

"Yes, Hye Yeon. Just rest. You're drunk."

"Young Jae-ah, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for hurting you. I didn't mean it. I just want to keep you and your family forever. I don't want to lose all of you. You're my family. My only family now."

Young Jae smiled. He knows how Hye Yeon loves his family. And he's glad she still does.

"Young Jae-ah! I didn't date anyone because I was waiting for you. I was hoping that when you come back, I can be brave enough to tell you how I feel. That I am in love at you since we're kids."

Young Jae stopped what he is doing.

"I was waiting for you. Even you have a girlfriend. I thought that she's just a pace. That you will come back home, to me. To be with me. But I just pushed you away and now you're marrying a French woman."

"Hye Yeon-ah."

Hye Yeon rises back up again and looks at him with her in dazed eyes. "Cha Young Jae, be happy, okay? You deserve it. I will support you all the way. I will stay in love you until the day you marry her, okay?" She raised her hand and show him an okay sign. She then hiccups. "After that, I will forget you. I will try to be happy without you, without us being together. I'll be happy too. Soon!" She falls back again and she falls asleep. Young Jae stares at her for a while. She's in love with him all this time and she was waiting for him. He feels guilty.

He didn't realize it. It took him years to move forward from her rejection. It was then he meets Ava. She somehow reminds of Hye Yeon, except the fact she's interested at him the moment that she meets him. It took him six months to finally asked her to be his girlfriend which made her laugh because all this time, she thought they are dating. He was embarrassed that time but Ava finds it cute.

Young Jae looks at the bedside table. There were three pictures there. The one with Hye Yeon and her parents, the other was her with the Cha Family and the one in the middle is a picture of him after his graduation. Young Jae sighs.

"You stupid girl."

He tucked Hye Yeon and leaves her to sleep.

---

The next morning, Hye Yeon woke up with a painful headache. She went to her kitchen to grab some painkiller and water. She keeps thinking of last night. The last thing she remembers is drinking and eating meat with Young Jae after he told her that he's getting married. She then sighs and went to her room to prepare for work.

After she took a shower and dress up for work, she went down to Mi Kyung's home to have breakfast with her. When she enters the house, she immediately sees Young Jae sitting as Mi Kyung serves him breakfast. "Oh, Hye Yeon. Come, let's have breakfast." Mi Kyung invites her.

"Hangover?" Young Jae asked while grinning at her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter