Birthday present

Bad Business

“You're suffering a rare kind of diabetes which has already damaged your body badly. You'll need medication and...”, your father explained but then silenced. You were able to read it yourself...yes...you wouldn't be able to have children. Ever. So the thought of Nichkhun and you that you might have been pregnant was so stupid....

 

Your father cleared his throat. “Don't overdo it with your work...or your body might give up soon...I guess with the right medication it will be no problem but stress is killing people slowly – with or without diabetes.”

 

He then left you and Nichkhun alone again.

 

„Don' tell it to anyone! Especially not to Kyuhyun!“, you told Nichkhun who glanced back at you in disbelief.

 

„You don't want your own boyfriend to know about it? Don't you think that's cruel?“, Nichkhun wanted to know.

 

„No! It's not like I'm gonna die right now...It's just...“

 

„Just the fact that you will never be able to have your own children.“, Nichkhun finished your sentence.

 

It sounded really cruel when he said it like that. Too cruel. More to you than to anyone else. You had always dreamed of having an own family...after missing it during your whole childhood....

But you were aware of this situation happening one day. Your body had always been a bit...differently. For years you had avoided medical checks but your father had forced you to do one, he was a doctor, of course he knew what was coming towards you.

 

„It's my decision, okay?“

 

„Yeah...a cruel one.“ Nichkhun shook his head and you felt guilty. He was judging you – and he was right.

 

„I don't want to marry anyways. I can't. Not as an idol...so...children are not a matter of-“

 

„No, no, no! You can't just say it like that! Of course children are important and I think everyone wants to have them later. I know it myself. I wouldn't have a problem with being a father right at the moment. Don't you think Kyuhyun is sometimes thinking about marrying you and having a family with you?!“

 

With resignation you bit on your underlip and shook your head. Tears were filling your eyes.

 

„I know it! I thought about it myself! But I can't tell him...what will he think of me?! What will he do then?!“, you asked your best friend furstrated.

 

„So you will never tell him?“

 

„No...at least not now.“

 

„You know the moment will come you have to tell him.“, Nichkhun frowned again.

 

„I know...“, you whispered.

 

„And then?“

 

„Then it will be over, I guess.“

 

Both of you silenced until you broke this weird atmosphere.

 

„We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.“, you said and smiled sadly.

 

 

Nichkhun brought you back to the hotel after you were released from hospital. He had tried to distract you the whole time but wasn't to successful, so he started to ask you a bit about your familial situation.

 

„Why does your father live here?“, he asked you.

 

„To work, of course.“, you answered.

 

„Why didn't he stay in Germany?“

 

„Dunno...maybe he couldn't stand seeing my mother after she left him.“

 

„Ah...I see...“ Nichkhun put his hands into his trouser pockets and looked up into the dark sky.

 

„You barely speak about your family.“, he noticed and waited for your reaction but then you walked past a big advertisement of a 'Bird Tongchai' – Concert.

 

„Omo! Bird Tongchai?!“, you said excitedly and pointed at the poster.

 

„Don't tell me you want to go there.“, Nichkhun said and chuckled.

 

„Don't laugh at me...! Thanks to him I've always wanted to become an idol. My mother loved him so much...as a child I wanted to become like him.“, you informed Nichkhun.

 

„To impress your mother, right?“

 

„Kind of.“

 

Until you arrived at the front door of the hotel Nichkhun teased you with this topic, but then...

 

„Hey! What the hell?!“

 

Yoshi was waiting in front and came to you – he looked extremely angry.

 

„You told me you had an important appointment and then you're going out with this guy?! What the hell are you doing, I thought we had a deal?!“ He grabbed your shoulders and shook you.

 

„Don't touch her!“ Nichkhun pushed him away from you and grabbed his collar. „Don't touch her, you listened?!“

 

„Khun! Let go of him!“, you told Nichkhun and pulled at his sleeve.

 

„I really had an appointment. Nichkhun just accompanied me.“, you tried to explain to Yoshi.

 

„Why should I believe that?“, Yoshi asked still angrily after Nichkhun let go of him. He rubbed his throat. Seemed like Nichkhun had grabbed him really ungently.

 

„Believe it or not – doesn't matter at all!“, Nichkhun blustered.

 

„Why are you here anyways?“, you asked the blond guy.

 

„...none of your damn business...I'll leave!“

 

Furiously he went away.

 

Nichkhun and you glanced at him until he was completely covered in darkness and disappeared.

 

„This guy is really strange...“, Nichkhun said depreciatorily.

 

 

 

It was not like Nichkhun had nothing else to do than keeping an eye on you.

JYP – entertainment called him in the morning to tell him that he had to go to several interviews and shows as well.

 

He sighed in annoyance after he finished the phone call and looked at the ceiling.

 

„Work...“, he mumbled and then got up.

 

 

On the way down to the lobby he saw Sooyoung and Yoona prowling around in excitement.

 

„What are you two doing here?“, he asked them curiously.

 

„Uh...oh! Nothing!“, Yoona answered quickly.

 

„Stop hiding...I'll get to know it whereas you tell me or not, you know?“

 

Sooyoung chuckled and then disclosed their secret.

 

„We're planing a secret birthday party for ____-ah.“

 

„Birthday party?...don't tell me...oh!“

 

„She's turning 20 on Friday, don't tell me you didn't know!“, Yoona scolded him.

 

„I...of course I knew about it! Well...I...I have to go now, have fun and be successful!“, he lied and suddenly felt uneasy because he didn't know about it at all.

 

Nichkhun went quickly outside. He took his cell and called someone. Before he went to that interview he had to organize something special.

 

 

Late in the afternoon, after Nichkhun was already done with his schedules, he went to get your special present. Or at least tried to get it.

 

He walked towards the building that was the Office of Bird Tongchai's agency when suddenly someone stopped him.

 

What are you doing here?“ Yoshi walked behind him and Nichkhun hold on.

He turned around and looked at him – annoyed like always.

 

What do you want from me?“, he asked.

 

I want to know what you are doing here.“, Yoshi repeated himself and came closer.

Nichkhun automatically took a step or two backwards to keep the distance.

 

None of your business.“, he huffed.

 

Then you want me to investigate? Well...you're standing here in front of that Office. Are you trying to meet up with Bird Tongchai?“

 

Nichkhun was silent. He blinked at Yoshi and made a face...this guy was a neg!

 

Tell me why? Has it something to do with ____?“

 

Yoshi waited for an answer but Nichkhun wasn't able to give some. He wanted to tell him that it wasn't like that but what should he have told him instead?

 

'I'm Bird Tonchai's best friend, haha. Wanted to meet him for a beer or two.'? No way.

 

Why?“, Yoshi added and again came closer. This time Nichkhun didn't walk backwards.

 

You want to impress her? Do you like her?“

 

He came so close to the 2 PM member and talked with an aggressive undertone...it sounded like Yoshi was jealous of him.

 

No! Don't get it wrong! She's just a close friend...! I just wanted to get her a birthday present! She likes Bird, you know?“

 

All the aggression and the hostile attitude were suddenly gone. Yoshi's face cleared up and then he started laughing.

 

Oh...that's it? Well then, good look. If you want to invite her to the concert next week...it's already sold out!“

 

Laughing he went away and left Nichkhun behind him.

 

Stupid moron...“, Nichkhun mumbled.

 

Why was he even here...? Crazy stalker!“

 

He would get those tickets...he would!

 

 

 

The whole week the medical check letter bothered you so much...your unnies all worried why you were mentaly absent all the time.

 

Rehearsals were the only things that were able to distract you...and you had to practice a loooot!

While practicing for the concert you didn't have to meet up with Yoshi what also was a relief.

 

It was already Friday now and you were yawning tiredly after rehearsal.

 

Your phone rang but you only received a text message. The heavy legs made you sit down to read it.

 

'Happy Birthday, bunny! Hope you enjoyed the day! Sorry I'm absent – I'm in Hong Kong now. We'll see us the next time you're in Thailand!', your father wrote to you.

 

Oh...!“ Right! Today was your birthday! You had never forgotten your own birthday before...but now you could understand why some people did so over and over again.

 

By now you realized that he was the only one who congratulated you...and that made you sad.

 

You didn't expect your mother to congratulate you...she always forgot your birthday. But at least your sister or some of your friends could have called you.

 

Aish...“ With your head on your knees you moved it slightly from the left to the right and looked up again. The others were already packing their things to go back to the hotel.

 

You're ready, ____-ah?“, Taeyeon asked you.

 

You took your bag and followed the others to the van.

 

 

Nobody seemed to know when your birthday was...they all were busy with reading newspaper, listening to music or talking about different stuff.

 

You were the only one who was silent all the time without doing anything but looking at the back of Taeyeon's seat in front of you.

 

What's wrong with you, ____-ah? Do you feel alright?“, Tiffany asked you and looked worriedly at you. You smiled back at her and shook your head.

 

I'm alright, unnie. Don't worry.“ Yeah...don't worry...

 

 

When you arrived at the hotel your unnies started to act strange. They were suddenly prowling around like crazy bees in the middle of a field of flowers.

 

Come on, come on!“

 

Yuri and Yoona grabbed your arms – one on each side – and dragged you to the restaurant of the hotel where you always ate breakfast.

 

Nichkhun was waiting inside. He was staying next to a cute, white cake, that was waiting for you.

Behind him 2 monitors were build up.

 

Happy Birthday, _____-ah!“, they all congratulated you and suddenly you were hugged by a load of girls.

 

The monitors went on and the faces of the 2PM members and Super Junior looked at you. You were especially fixated on the Super Junior monitor. Desperately you looked for your missing boyfriend.

Only Leeteuk, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Donghae and Yesung were smiling towards you.

 

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl!“, they all congratulated you.

 

You're an adult now!“, they said and then started to sing Happy Birthday to you in a choir.

 

You nearly started to cry because of the overwhelming happiness.

 

Thank you! Thank you so much!“ You bowed and laughed happily.

 

But still...Kyuhyun was missing...

 

 

After the little, private birthday party you went back to your room. Nichkhun followed you and you were spending some time with him and your unnies together.

 

Nichkhun was really nervous. He was sitting flutterly on the sofa with his eyes twitching from one corner of the room to another.

 

Everything's alright with you?“, you asked him and he nodded before he took out an envelope.

 

I have something really -“, Nichkhun started to speak but he was interrupted by a noisy sound.

 

Your phone had suddenly started ringing and the name 'Kyuhyun' was blinking up on the display. Your jar dropped. This was the very first time in Thailand that you didn't miss his call.

 

Like you were a wild hunting cat you grabbed the cell.

 

„Yoboseyo?“, you answered it and your heart started beating up fast.

 

„Hey, lovely.“, Kyuhyun said.

 

You immediately started to smile brightly. „Yah! Babo, you're quite late!“, you scolded him but chuckled cutely. Everything that happened the past weeks seemed to be forgotten since you heard Kyuhyun's voice.

 

Nichkhun glanced at you in wonder even though he was quite sure about who was calling you.

 

„You know what date is today?“, you asked him and pouted .

 

„You're pouting right now, huh?“, Kyuhyun started laughing.

 

„Yah! Where do you know that from?“, you asked him huffy but fell into giggling again.

 

„I know my baby girl, that's why.“ You heard him chuckling as well in his beautiful angel-like low voice. „I can't be there with you...but I want to give you the best present you get today.“

 

You were grinning like...a fool. But you didn't care about what the others thought about you.

 

„You're somewhere inside?“, Kyuhyun asked you.

 

„Yupp, in the hotel room.“, you answered.

 

„You've got a balcony?“

 

„Yupp.“

 

„Then go outside.“, your boyfriend told you and you followed his order.

 

The others observed you curiously when you stepped outside.

 

„And now?“

 

„Look up in the sky.“

 

Your eyes wandered up to the moon. The sky was clear – not a single cloud to see.

 

„Can you see the stars?“

 

„Yes.“

 

„Count them – that's how much I love you.“

 

You fell into chuckling again. Your cheeks turned red and you shivered excitedly. And then Kyuhyun was quietly singing to you Super Junior's Love u more through the phone.

 

♫♪ Someone is singing a love song under the high sky.

As always you're not with me...

I'm happy even though only you're shadow is beside me.

It's not enough just to think about it myself,

your smile is fulfilled deep in my heart.♫♪ “, he started to sing to you.

 

♫♪ You're in my heart forever, I love you~♫♪

 

„I love you, too.“, you answered to him and smiled happily. „I miss you, Oppa...“

 

„I miss you, too...“

 

„____-ah! Come back inside! Yoshi-shi is here!“ Both of you were interrupted by Taeyeon who came outside to the balcony.

 

„What? What is he doing here?“, you asked perplexly.

 

„Aish! Your fake boyfriend?! Okay, I'm off.“ Kyuhyun hung up immediately.

 

„Oppa? Oppa?!“, you talked into the phone frustratedly but no response.

 

„Aish!“

 

Upset you walked inside. Yoshi was waiting there, with a big winner smile on his face.

Nichkhun looked at him like he was going to kill him.

 

„Yo, little kid, I've got something for you.“, he said.

 

„I don't want it!“, you responded angrily. He destroyed your boyfriend's birthday present!

 

„You can't refuse it. Look over here.“ Yoshi chuckled and handed you a ticket.

 

Nichkhun glared at it in shock. Did this guy really steal his idea?!

 

„What is this...?“, you looked at the ticket and then back at him in shock.

 

„No...that can't be...you're kidding.“

 

„Happy Birthday, _____!“, Yoshi said and smiled.

 

Nichkhun stood up from the sofa and looked at the ticket.

 

„What? You will perform at the Bird Tongchai concert...with him?!“

 

His jar dropped and the envelope in his hand fell down to the ground.