Chapter 7

Candy-Coated Love

 

"Uh, oh!" Rainie said to herself.

Good thing, she's wearing a hooded shirt so Jiro can't see her face. In split second, Rainie ran as fast as she can then made a quick turn around the corner.

"Hey!" Jiro followed her but didn't catch up.

When he returned, he saw a small gift down at the doorstep. Jiro picked up and read the card.

"I know I'm one day late but still... Happy Birthday" the card said.

Jiro smiled.

"You never seize to amazed me, Larisa." he went inside the house and locked the door.

Rainie checked if Jiro's still outside. He's gone already. She quickly ran toward Danson's car. Rainie opened the door and sat on the front seat. Then, Aaron and Danson burst into laughter.

"What are you laughing at?" Rainie pouted.

Danson can't utter a word while Aaron almost rolled over in the back seat.

"You can join the track and field national team!" Aaron finally managed to talk.

"He almost caught me! Thanks to my hooded shirt!" Rainie kissed her shirt.

"Why are you hiding anyway?" Aaron calmed down wiping his tears.

"They met on the wrong foot." Danson answered.

Rainie told him what happened in the afternoon.

"Ohh. So that's how it is. Well, you should prepare yourself. Sooner or later, you will have to face him. Too bad he's taken already. Poor RenRen!" Aaron and tapped her back.

"Ha! Ha!" Rainie answered sarcastically.

###########################################################

Jiro sat on the dining table and opened the gift. It's a cute candy dispenser. He read the note sticked on it.

"So you'll not messed up your gummies..."

Jiro laughed.

"What are you giggling about there?" GuiGui came munching her chips.

He showed the dispenser.

"Whoah! Hao ke ai!" she took it from Jiro's hand. "Who gave this to you?" GuiGui asked.

"I saw it on our doorstep. Maybe it's from Larisa." Jiro answered.

"Pai tuo! Larisa? She doesn't have sweet bone in her body," she smirked.

"Well I saw someone passed by our house. I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing things." Jiro said randomly. "Have you eaten your dinner? Why are you late? I thought you finished work at 5pm?" he added.

"Question 1, yes. Question 2, I went out. Question 3, yes again. Anything else?" GuiGui answered.

"Where did you go? Who's with you? Are you dating someone?" Jiro started to interrogate.

"Bu San Mall. Aaron, Rainie and my Danson. I might date very soon!" GuiGui giggled.

The word that clinged to Jiro's mind was the name Rainie.

"She's here?" he said excitedly.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell you. They came back yesterday. They're staying here for good." GuiGui informed him.

"Well... that's great!" he hide his excitement.

"Aren't you glad they're here?" she looked straight into Jiro's eyes.

"I'm glad. Anyway, go to bed. And stop eating junk foods. You're getting fat already." he moved his eyes away from his sister.

They went to their respective rooms having different thoughts. Jiro was thinking about Rainie.

"They came back. She came back." he said to himself.

Then a small voice talked back in his mind. "You have fiancee already. stop dreaming. You can't break up with Larisa just because Rainie came back. Forget about her."

He thought about it for a few minutes then, "Yeah. I'm getting married sooner. I must be crazy thinking about her." Jiro shook his head for several times and laid his tired body in the bed.

Meanwhile, GuiGui opened the gift that Aaron gave. IT's a big Stitch plush doll. She hugged it tightly.

"You haven't forgotten my favorite toy!" she smiled very wide. So wide that almost ripped open.

"Ouch!" she touched .

GuiGui dialled Aaron's number.

"Wei?" Aaron answered lazily.

"Thanks for the gift." she said.

Aaron glanced at his watch. "You called me at 2am just to thank me? Why not tell me tomorrow GuiGui!" he protested.

"Dui bu qi. I'm just happy that I can't wait tomorrow to tell you. You still remember my favorite toy." GuiGui said.

"Of course! How can I forget? You almost cried a river for that toy back then. Eh! Don't tell me you're starting to fall for my charms? Sorry to disappoint you but I don't mixed business with pleasure, hao ba?" Aaron .

"Go back to sleep!" she slammed the phone.

He's still the sweet Aaron she have known. But he kept hiding it through his flirtatious act. GuiGui closed the lights and went to bed with Stitch on her side.

###########################################################

Rainie and Danson prepared early morning for the grand opening of their shop. They planned five different kinds of cakes to prepare. Danson finished baking and now it's Rainie's turn to decorate it. Her favorite, Tiramisu, a blend of cocoa, mocha and coffee covered with whipped cream and sprinkled with cocoa bits is the last one she's designing.

"I'm almost done!" Rainie whispered to herself.

"I'll call your Mom and Aaron to get ready." Danson said while dialling their house number.

"Yes! I'm finished!" She said and look at all the cakes with satisfaction.

"You're the best designer ever!" Danson praised he artwork.

"Thank you. Thank you." GuiGui playfully bows as if she have audiences watching her.

"Haola. Let's change very quickly. They're all gonna arrive any minute."

They ran to the locker room to change. Few minutes later, Rainie's family and all the invited guests arrived one by one. The last to arrived were Jiro, GuiGui, Larisa and a bunch of people. Rainie took a deep breath.

"Here they come!" Danson whispered to her.

"congrats Danson!" Jiro approached Danson and shook his hands.

"Congrats!" Larisa offered her hand first.

"Thank you guys for coming. Anyway, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce my partner, the person who's behind these very elegant cakes, the best cake designer so far, Ms. Yang Chen Lin." Danson introduced her.

Rainie turned around. "Nice to meet you." she said in awkward voice.

"YOU?!" Jiro exclaimed in surprise.