Chapter 3

Candy-Coated Love

 

"See you later! Ciao!" Aaron got up from the couch and left her office.

GuiGui was soo shocked she can't moved. Then, she remembered something. GuiGui ran outside. She checked the elevator and the stairs. No sign of Aaron.

"Haiyysss! How can I pick him up later if I don't know where he lives?" she said frustratedly.

"Booo!!!" Aaron appeared from her back.

"Holy crap! You scared me! I thought you're gone already?" she was surprised.

"I greeted all the people here in your department. They're soo warm and friendly. I'm gonna enjoy my stay here," he said happily.

"Where is your place? Still the same?" she asked.

"Yes. You can dropped by later soo you can see mom and jie jie," he answered.

"Sure."

"Ok, bye!" he went to the elevator.

GuiGui watched as the door closed.

###########################################################

"You're early," Mrs. Yang noticed Rainie in the kitchen.

"I'm making a special cake for our visitor in the shop today. Danson said he wants to meet me," she said while whipping the cream.

"Oh! Really? Who is he?" her mom asked.

"I don't know yet. He said it's a surprise." she started the baking when her phone rang.

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour, mademoiselle! How are you?" Danson on the other line.

"I'm good, thank you. What's up?" she wiped her hand.

"There's been a change of plan. Instead of 5pm, he wants to come at lunch. Is it possible?" he asked her.

"Thank God I started early today. This visitor of ours is very picky huh?" she told him.

"Oh no! He's nice I can assure you. He just want us to meet his family as well. They're living across the shop." he informed her.

"Oh I see. Alright then. Pick me up at twelve noon. Ciao!" she said.

"Ok. Ciao!" he closed the phone.

###########################################################

Jiro put the molded chocolate in the fridge when his phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Jiro? This is Danson. I told my partner already. We'll be there in two hours."

"That's great! I'll see you all later, bye!" he hang up.

He stared at the orange filled chocolate in the table. It reminded him of someone from the past.

"I wonder where she is now," he told himself.

His mind went down the memory lane again.

"Let's go inside," 15 year old Rainie pulled 16 year old Jiro into the candy shop.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"I want the gummy candies," he said.

"One kilo of gummy candies please," she told the shop owner.

"That's a lot! What will you do with those candies?" he exclaimed as they went out of the store.

"I'll make you a gummy candy topped cake!" she said happily.

"Cool! But my birthday is still next week!" he was amazed of what she said.

"It's ok I want to make one for you and then I'll make again on your birthday!" she smiled.

"Can we do it in our house? You make gummy cake for me, I'll make chocolates for you," he recommended.

"The one you gave to me before? With the orange filling?" her eyes widened in excitement.

"Yes!" he grinned.

"Alright! I'll call Aaron too!" she said and ran towards their house.

Jiro shook his head several times. He missed them a lot. He missed her a lot. He hoped that someday they will meet again.

###########################################################

"Aaron, we need the car! Stop fooling around. Get back here now!" Rainie shouted at Aaron on the phone.

"Haola! Haola! Geez! You're worst than mom! I'm just visiting new places in Taipei. Anyway, I'll just tell GuiGui to pick me up later soo we can roam around the town." he said.

"Huh? What did you said?" she didn't know if she heard him right.

"I said you're worst than mom," he repeated.

"Not that one, the last one!" she said impatiently.

"I'll tell GuiGui to pick me up later so---" he didn't managed to finish his sentence.

"GuiGui? As in GuiGui with pigtails?" she got excited.

"Yeah. She's my PR assistant. I didn't recognised her first because she looked more man than me. Then I saw this picture of ours," he answered.

"Is he---?" Rainie tried to asked about Jiro.

"No. He's not there and I didn't asked either. Don't tell me you're still hoping you'll have a happy ending with him?" he teased his sister.

"Ohh, shut up! Just bring back the car now!" she hang up the phone.

"Why is my heart beating soo fast?" Am I excited to see him? I wonder if he still liked the gummy candy cake?" she kept asking herself.

Then an idea came to her mind. She's done with the blueberry cheesecake but she wanted to add a little spice in it.

"Mom! I'll go out for a while," she asked before going out.

"I hope the shop is still there," she crossed her fingers.

Rainie's face lighten when she saw the candy shop. She went inside.

"Uncle Bubu! You're still here?" she greeted the owner happily.

The old man put his glasses on so he can recognised her.

"RenRen?" he asked.

"Yes! It's me!" she hugged the old man.

"Oh my goodness! I didn't noticed you. You're soo beautiful and... skinny! What happen? You're not eating properly?" he asked again.

"Wahahaha! I lost weight. But I'm eating properly. Don't worry about it. Err...sorry Uncle Bubu but I'm in a hurry right now, can I have one kilo of gummy candies please?" she said.

"Ohh, right." he weight the candies.

"Here. It's on the house. I'll just come by later to chat with your mom," he said.

"Wow! Thank you. Ok then. See you later!" she shouted then ran away.

Rainie saw Danson waiting outside their house.

"Where have you been?" Danson asked.

"I just bought these," she showed the candies and put in the back seat.

"Cmon, he'll be there any minute." he sat on the driver's seat.

"Wei! You're cake!" Aaron handed her cake.

"You're not coming?" she asked.

"Later. I'll dropped by there," he said.

"Ok. Let's go," she said to Danson.

As the car moved towards their destination, Rainie had a feeling that there's something might have happen in the shop that will change her life and bitterness will overcome her heart.