Chapter 1

Candy-Coated Love

 

Paris, France

"Wei! We'll be leaving in half an hour and you're not done yet?" Aaron said impatiently.

"Just give me a minute ok? I need to finish this before mom gets here," Rainie answered.

She made a vanilla and caramel flavored 3 layered cake. It's her farewell treat to her colleague in the bakeshop. They will fly back to Taiwan. It's been 10 years. 10 years before she can call herself and expert. When Rainie, Aaron and Mrs. Yang migrate to France a decade ago, she really insisted to take up Culinary Arts and master the art of baking. She will open a new shop in Taiwan called 'Pretty Pastries'.

"Done!" she said happily.

"Ugghhh! At last!"Aaron muttered.

Their mom came. Rainie give her gift to everybody and they all said goodbyes with their tears in their eyes.

"Crybaby!" Aaron .

"Will you shut up!" she hissed.

Mrs. Yang look at them. "Are you guys happy we will go back home?" she asked her children.

"YaY! I'm very happy I want to jump!" Aaron said sarcastically.

"If there is no offer to do business with my friend there, I would never step on that land again," pain is written on her face.

"Bitterness won't do you any good my children," Mrs. Yang replied.

"You don't know what we've been through mom," Aaron told seriously.

"I know and I understand your feelings. But look on the bright side. You're both successful in your chosen career, what else are you looking for? Can't you just let go?" she reminded them.

"We know mom but it's very hard to explain. It leaves a deep scar here." Rainie pointed her heart.

"Alright, I won't argue with you about this matter," Mrs. Yang finished their conversation.

Rainie look at the window. She started to reminisce again.

"I wonder what happen to them? I bet they're both successful too." She remebered this day ten years ago, August 24. After she and her brother run away from the party, Jiro and GuiGui followed them to their house. She's still crying about what happen at the party.

"Shhh! Don't cry RenRen. They're just jealous of you because you're talented. Your dress is nice and you look pretty on it." he comforted her.

"Really?" she stop crying.

"Yes. Really." he gave her a big hug.

Even GuiGui try to comfort Aaron.

"Don't mind those stupid people. They're just jealous of you because you're intelligent."

"I don't care about them. I care about my sister. She's really hurt about what they said to her." he replied angrily.

"As long as you didn't do anything wrong, you don't have anything to explain. We believe in both of you. I believe in you." she smiled.

That's the last day they saw each other. After 5 days, Mrs. Yang got a job offer in France and the whole family move there.

###########################################################

Taipei, Taiwan

"How do I look?" Jiro ask GuiGui.

"Good," she answered without looking.

"You didn't even bother to look!" he scolded her.

GuiGui move away her eyes from the tv.

"What do you expect from me? I'll tell 'Oh Ge Ge! Hao shuai!' Pai tuo! I see your face everyday, will there be a change?" she said.

"Thanks a lot!" he answered sarcastically.

Jiro will meet the part owner of the bakeshop in the opposite of their house. Mr. Danson Tang wants to have contract with him as the supplier of homemade chocolates. Jiro is very popular in Taiwan because of his extraordinary skills in chocolate making. He received many awards from prestigious companies. He have a business called 'Crazie Confectionaries' which sells handmade chocolates. It's running for over a year only but every bakeshop in town is supplied by him.

"I'll go out for a while," he said to his sister.

GuiGui just wave her hand. He crossed the street and wait outside the shop. In a few minutes, Mr. Tang arrived.

"Pleasure to meet you Mr. Tang," Jiro offered his hand for a shake.

"Please, call me Danson. I'm very honored to meet you, can I call you Jiro?" Danson ask him.

"Yes of course. I thought your..."

"Older? With big tummy and bald head? No. No. My partner will kill me if I'm like that. Rain is soo conscious about our figure and image." he said laughing.

Jiro laugh with him. They go inside the shop.

"Wow! Nice and warm interior. The customer will definitely come back." Jiro praised.

"Rain choses the designs and colors but I do all the hard work," Danson explained.

"When are you going to open?" Jiro asked.
"
In a few days. I'll wait my partners approval before we can finalized and do the grand opening. She will arrive any minute now." he replied.

"To tell you the truth, I tried to do baking but I can't do even a single muffin!" he laugh.

"Whoah! You're like Rain! It's opposite though. She tried to learn how to make chocolate but she failed most of the time. I told her stick with baking and designing."

"Oh! She's the baker?" he ask while reading the contract.

"Well partly yes but I do it most of the time. I let her do the designing. It's her expertise. She's very crafty." he replied.

"So far, your conditions are pretty good. We have a deal." Jiro signed the paper.

They stand up and shake hands.

"I hope we will do good business together." Danson said.

"It'll be a success I can assure you." Jiro promised.

They go outside and before Danson start his car,

"You should meet my partner. I think you'll get along well with each other. I'll bring her tomorrow evening."

"Yeah sure. Just come by anytime. My house is only there in the front."

"Ok then. I'll go now. Bye." he drive away and go straight to the airport.