Chapter 19

Candy-Coated Love

 

"What brings you here?" Rainie gestured Jiro to sit down.

"I need your help," Jiro paused thinking what's the right thing to say. "You're my friend right?"

"Ehe... I guess," Rainie chuckled.

"Cmon! Be serious!" Jiro frowned.

"Okay, okay! Tell me," Rainie said.

"I'm having second thoughts about Larisa. I can't marry her. You've got to help me," Jiro stood up and walked back and forth.

"Ei! You're making me dizzy. What's your point?" Rainie took the glass of orange juice her mother prepared for them and have a sip.

"Marry me," Jiro stopped and turned around.

Rainie spilled the juice she's drinking. "Whaaattt?"

"Here me out first before you blab nonsense," Jiro sat down once again.

"It's better be a good one," Rainie wiping the side of .

"We'll sign a contract. For 6 months, you'll be my wife. I just want to get out of the situation with Larisa. I can't stand her anymore," Jiro explained to her.

"What makes you think I'll agree to your proposal? What's the deal?" Rainie was curious what he's gonna say.

"I'll supply your shop for the period of six months for free," Jiro offered.

Hmmm, great deal. A big help to our business, Rainie thought.

"So? What do you think?" Jiro tapped her shoulder.

"What you gonna do with Larisa? How can you tell that you're backing out?" Rainie asked.

"I'll tell that... you're pregnant! She wouldn't insist of marrying me. I know her family is very fuzzy about their reputation." Jiro said as if it was not a big deal.

"wahahahaha! You're crazy! What a dumb excuse! The people will know that my stomach is not growing!" Rainie laughing so hard.

"Are you in or not? Because if not, I'm gonna find a girl who can deal with me easily," Jiro blackmailed her.

"You'll not give me a chance to think? Do I have to answer now?" Rainie stared at him.

"Yes," Jiro answered.

"Alright! Alright! What are friends for? Besides my mom will be out of the country for about the same period of time so it's no problem for me." Rainie said finally.

Jiro grinned widely. "Thanks, Rainie! You're the best! I'll prepare the papers right away. We'll do it after Larisa had done her surgery. I'll talk to her parents first," Jiro stood up and went straight to the front door.

Rainie followed him. "I don't know why I got myself into this kind of trouble."

"Because you love me---" Jiro said holding the knob of the door.

"C-come again?" Rainie asked.

"I said because you love me as a friend that's why," Jiro repeated what he said.

Yeah, maybe I do love you, Rainie thought.

She waved goodbye as Jiro speed up the car to the street. Rainie closed the door and stood there for one minute. She can't believe herself either. Looking at her watch, she ran towards the room and dressed up. Rainie have an appointment with Dr. Chen in the hospital for her recent abdominal pain.

###########################################################

"Okay, let's go," Jiro carried Larisa to the operating room.

After he went to Rainie's house, he go straight to the hospital where Larisa is waiting for him. It's her schedule for operation. It will take at least 5 hours for the surgery and 2 weeks for recovery.

"I'm so excited, Jiro. I can't wait to see that handsome face of yours," Larisa said with a smile.

"Really?" Jiro asked with less enthusiasm.

"Hey, how come you didn't sound excited as much as I do?" Larisa raising her eyebrows.

"How's it possible? You can't see me," Jiro said.

"I'm blind, not deaf. I can hear your deep breathing. Anyway, in just a few days, I'll be as good as before!" Larisa exclaimed.

They reached the operating room and they took Larisa inside. Jiro waited outside. Her parents didn't come for her. They said they're busy and can't get a flight from New York to Taipei. That's Larisa's parents, neglecting her all of her life. That's why she's dependent on him. He sat by the bench. Thinking what's the best thing to say to her. Then, his eyes caught something or someone maybe.

"Rainie?" Jiro asked himself and followed where she go.

Rainie make a turn on the left wing of the hospital. Jiro continued to followed her and then she disappeared. Jiro saw two doors at the end of the hallway. Orthopedic department and Oncology department.

"Strange, I swear I saw Rainie here," Jiro told himself going back to the operating room.

Rainie walked back to the clinic because she forgot her purse inside.

"Ms. Yang, you forgot your wallet," Dr. Calvin Chen said handling her purse.

"Yeah, I know. I think I needed more of the brain cell enhancers than all of these medicines. I'm getting older," Rainie joked about it.

Dr. Chen smiled at her. His two dimples showing. "You're funny, Ms. Yang."

"I know! Isn't it great?" Rainie asked while grinning.

"It is great! You're a very cheerful woman. You should smile more often. Anyway, don't forget the medicines I wrote for you, okay? Come back after one week." Dr. Chen said.

"Yes, sir!" Rainie saluted the doctor and went out of the clinic.