LAPAN

I'm a Hapless

A Day Later...

I’m glad nothing happen to Helmoni. Due to her low blood, she just needs to ensure her daily meals. Lots of vitamin and calcium, I’m very sure I must visit the market soon.

I stop sweeping the floor and glanced at my old Helmoni. She’s taking a nap on her favorite wooden chair as usual, mouth slightly open. It’s been so many years I watched this scene. The day she told me about her disease, the day she fell in the kitchen while making a breakfast and the days she’s been admitted to the hospital. We’ve been through a lot together until now, but I think everything will be just fine.

I fixed the small blanket that covering her lower body and stared at Helmoni’s pale face. Don’t know why I feel sad to witness this. I really wish human are immortal. Human are free from any sickness. I wish these every time I look close on her, as I remember the first person I know was her, she is the kind and wise woman who treat me like her own all this time and the moment we shared together, they were all precious to me.

 

I put my head on her lap slowly, sobbing.

 

Don’t leave me yet Helmoni… I promise I will work hard to get us a better live…I don’t have anyone else except you. If you leave me, who will stay with me, Helmoni? I pray to God, that he will spare you longer; and I really want you to be healthy again. I love you so much Helmoni so please be hold on for me…

 

Then I feel something on my head. Helmoni’s soft hand gently caressed my hair. I looked up and apologized to wake her.  “How do you feel Helmoni? You want something???”

She just shook her head weakly as response.

 

“Final match tomorrow, right? Why you’re still here?” Helmoni asked me, hand still soothing my short hair.

 

“I must be home in case you need anything, Helmoni. I won’t leave you alone,”

 

“I’m totally fine as you can see, dear. No need to worry much. It is you we should concern more, I am right? Big match tomorrow but you lazy bum, get stuck here. Go practice, Amber. I will tell Mr. Kim that you can’t work today,” she said with a deep voice.

“Helmoni, I don’t want to leave you,” I firmly stated.

 

She smiled and pulled my head closer to her stomach, hugging me tight. “Amber, my body is warm right?”

I nodded and returned the hug.

 

“So, nothing change, honey. It is the same warmth that your Helmoni always give you.  I feel much better now. It is my fault because I skipped taking pills. I’m very sorry to make you worry this much, dear. I promise this won’t happen again, okay?”

 

I stay in silence, didn’t even loose a bit the hug. Instead I embraced her lap tighter than before. Then, I heard she released a small sigh.

 

“My dear, you must know everything happen for reason. In our life, there’s always unexpected thing you might encounter, without your willingness or even without your knowledge. Just assume me as your first encounter, Amber. And every encounter might have the end. Now, Krystal and your fellow team mates are the second encounter. Just like how much you care and concern for me, you need to do the same for them too. Krystal stay beside you all the time as your friend and the boys- who you told me before- are so nice and good to you, so it is the time for you to give the best, like what they did, Amber. You promised me, you want us to have a better life isn’t it? Then you must go for it or the chance will just be wasted,” Helmoni talked in details for the moment.

 

“My good Amber always listens. She never objects Helmoni’s advices and that make her become the best child ever in this world…” Helmoni said again with her playful tone. I released the hug and stared at her, smiling.

“I love you Helmoni,” I said sincerely. She returned the smile and nodded. “Always love you too, my dear…”

***

“I didn’t expect you to wait until the practice finish, Krys. You just should go home and rest,” I muttered as she passed me a bottle of mineral water. “I did everything- just the way you wanted. After practice, I’d head to work and before going to bed I spent an hour for revision,”


“Whoa, the messy llama listens very well huh? Come here let me pat your head,” Krystal joked and playfully pulled my sweaty hair. “Ewww you stinky!”


“You think basketball sweats perfume? Hello Majesty Jung, generally people know sweats aren’t smell good,” I replied in a flat tone. I chuckled as she pouted at me with her puppy look.

 

“Stupid, can you promise me something?” all of sudden the atmosphere cooled down. I managed to stop drying my wet hair and stared at her, frowning. She seems in serious mode though.

 

“For what?” I asked and sat myself beside her. Only the dribbling sound of the ball echoed the court while we’re exchanging looks.

 

“You won’t ever forget me even though you’re a successful person in future. If we’re separated, you will find me no matter what happen. Pinky promise,” she raised her pinky finger to me.

 

“O-oh, it’s just me need to find you? What about you? Stay still and do nothing?”

 

“You know I will, Amber,” she gave me her annoyed looks then. I fake a laugh. I linked my pinky finger and flashed a bright smile,

 

 

“Of course, I will, Krystal. I will never forget my first best friend,”

 

 

I watched how she curved her lips up and how shiny her eyes are. They are really one of the wonderful things that I’d ever seen in my life so far. Krystal Jung, this friend of mine, made my heart flutter more and more day by day.


 

“Hey you two, sorry to disturb but I need my mate back. Come on Ber, couch has something to say,” Myungsoo interrupted, while pulling my arms along. “Sorry Krystal, our buddy here is the main image in the team. Brainwashing her before the game sometimes works for the sake of us,” he added.

Krystal being cold as the way she is just forced a little smile. I patted her head and gave a signal to her that I need to excuse myself. Poor Myungsoo, he might feel embarrassed because my friend didn’t go easy on him. I wonder why she is so cold towards other people but not me.

 

***

 

12.30pm- Basketball Court, Final Match

 

Fast like a thunder hits, the skinny figure manages to pass the ball, as Kris receives the throw and grip it tightly. Without a second thought, the tall boy gives a shot then his long leg lands on the floor- eyes still staring at the net.

 

“Whoooo!!!” he shouts as the ball finally gets in. Amber run to him and playfully taps his back. “Nice shot Kris,”

 

The whistle sound echoed and all the players stop running. Mr. Geun the couch called for his team and gathered them all.


“You all just left with 5 more minutes. 5 more minutes to decide either the victory will be ours or we all gonna go home with nothing. Bold my words boys, this is the moment to win or lose,” he clearly explain word by word, staring straight into each player’s eyes with the adrenaline rushing rapidly through his blood.

“Myungsoo, you know your job,” Mr. Geun stated, slightly taps the young boy’s shoulder. “You’re fast, but we need you to do faster. Got that, play maker?”

The boy nods his head.

“Sure, couch,”

 

Then, he turns attention to Kris and Amber, the dynamic duo who he truly believes is the main players for the evening match.

“What you did just now was spectacular and absolutely clever. But, I sensed they might crowd on you after this. Keep your pace and remember for the good chance, okay?”

 

Kris also gives the couch the same response, a slight nod as he wipes the wet hair with a clean yet white towel.

 

“And Amber, the miracle shot. You missed a lot of nice throws from your mates, lots of tiny mistakes too. So now get rid of that and give yourself out. Just this moment, Amber, and we all are relying on you. You copy me, kid?”

Looking through the couch’s burning eyes, Amber swallowed a lump in . She didn’t deny that for the first half-time, she can’t follow the flow of the game. It was totally different from her daily practices and exactly thousand more intense than what she expected.

Amber takes a deep breath as she shifts her attention at one particular space.

 

Her best friend also watching from the seat. Amber tries to suppress her calmness through a small smile but Krystal knows her well. The wrinkle on forehead is show enough that Amber is deeply intense and pressured. The boyish stared at the girl’s lips, trying to read her words from the loud noise and the distance that separate them on that moment.

 

Go Amber, you can do it. I’m here watching you!

 

She can’t help but to curve a smile. Giving a thumbs up with an excited face, Amber was rewarded a sweet smile too from Krystal. Then she feels something on her right shoulder.

“Ber, are you listening? Are you okay?” Kris whispers as he stared at Amber’s innocent face. “Say something, Ber,”

 

“O-oh. I’m sorry, I was just zoned out for a little bit. So nervous as hell and can’t really feel my body,” Amber able to give her reason but actually it wasn’t the real one. Her telepathy conversation with Krystal was the cause she’s out, and indeed she still can picture the smile of that friend of hers on that moment. “Yes I do couch. I will try for the miracle shot again. I apologize for my careless before,” Amber said while shyly scratches her non- itchy head.  

The man tapped his player’s back several times. “It’s fine Amber. Hold up, we are really close for the victory. Now everyone, go inside and let everything out. Go make history for our honor school. Hands in one kids!” he said, half-shouting as he sticks out his hand then it follow by the whole team. In a circle while holding each other palms, they scream their lungs out,

 

“We play as a team! We will win as a team! Victory, victory, and here we come!” Myungsoo, Kris and Amber didn’t exclude themselves to join the cheer as they look at each other.

 

***

 

Krystal patiently waits for her best friend to come out. There are so many people in that courts, cheering out loud with some of them happily take photos and laugh together. She hisses as she can’t find Amber in the crowd. Watch out Amber, I’m gonna rip your brain after this. You know I am the one who should cheer on you first! Not this bunch of crazy people! She monologues, while eyes still trying to figure Amber’s shadow.

 

She stops as she can clearly see Amber is being lifted high in the air by her team mates. The long-haired girl rolls her eyes in annoyance. As the body of her best friend gets down on the floor again, Krystal fastens her pace forward. Once she close, Kris is the first person to notice her presence and greets the girl happily. But the famous icy glare is for the return greeting which make the boy back up. He reached for Amber’s shoulders and spins her around.

The tomboy can’t hide her smile anymore as she notice Krystal. In a loud voice, she muttered, “Hey Krys, I made it!”

 

Krystal is so near to approach Amber but the bunch of boys were first to pull and drag her away. The tomboy can’t do anything as the strong force just separate her from the other girl. She asks Kris, laughing,

“Where are we going??”

“Celebration, Amber, celebration. Once you experience the victory, there’s no one left for the mighty celebration. We are going to drink until we all pass out, Ber!” Kris’s reply made Amber stops her walk. She hesitantly talks back, “Oh no, Krystal might…”

 

“Just avoid her for a while, Amber! We’re having fun and there’s no wrong to drink since all of us will come over my house for the party! We are totally free for today!” then it’s Myungsoo’s turn to convince.

 

“W-wait, but I can’t…” Amber still tries to argue but Kris strongly pulls her body and cover the teen’s mouth with his palm.
 

“Chill, Amber! Let’s have fun because we are still young and wild! Woohooo!”

 

Myungsoo and the rest laughed happily as they make pace together out from the basketball court with the most delightful thoughts and feelings in themselves. Amber also isn’t the one who experienced the same. She just a bit disappoint because she can’t include her best friend slash her crush into the party, but still she follow close the boys and prepares herself to cherish the moment.

 

 

 

Standing not so far from Amber and her team-mates, Krystal watches her best friend with a slight burning fire in the eyes. She is totally mad beyond the thin air because the tomboy chose her basketball friends over her.

 

You stupid llama face! She screamed secretly in her mind. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________

 

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!  Sorry for the late update because Im still trying my best to complete this story of mine. Thank you so much for the non-stop support from you my readers, subscribers and also the commentors. Surely, I will do my best next time okay! 

 

By the way, back to the story. The beginning is quite slow but I promise to improve it better in the next update. The writer's block sometimes killing y'all (T_T)  Let's just sail again and again with our best OTP a.k.a Krystal and Amber :)

 

Wishing for f(x) to make the best music again this year!