LIMA BELAS

I'm a Hapless

Author POV (Listening to Round and Round ost Goblin) 

 

Two young men with the late 30's guy in the middle of them walked through the hallway, as they're approaching the waiting section. Once they caught the figure, the middle man who is the one who greeted them politely. 

 

"I'm sorry for interrupting, sir. I'm Choi Fan, Mr. Liu's personal assistant. I'm looking for Amber Josephine Liu, is she here?" 

Mr. Son bowed back in curiousity and replied, "Yes she is. But please, her guardian just passed away. Anything can I help you???" 

The guy named Choi Fan exchanged a flat look with his partners as he cleared his throat in manner, 


"I'm sorry for the loss, sir. Actually, we are here for Amber, in her grandfather's death will, he asked to bring his only grandchild from where she belong. We've been informed about Madam Goo's health condition before, and we're sorry for being late and coming on this wrong timing, sir. If you dont mind, we will manage the funeral and we're preparing everything, for Amber's departure to Taiwan," 

The detailed information left Mr. Son and his wife speechless. They both looked at the crying Amber,who is sitting on the last row of the waiting seats, ignoring what goes around her, as she lost in her sad world. 

 

 

 

"Yes you may, Mr. Choi Fan. Amber is there, the skinny girl with short hair," Mr. Son said, pointing at the gloomy teenager. Choi Fan shifted his sight at the direction and watched Amber from the place he is standing on that moment. 

 

 

 

"Finally found you here, kid," he monologued alone. 

 

 

 

***

 

"I, Liu Hua Wei, with full of affection, declare to a child of my son, Jonathan Liu and his wife Yuan Foon that had been named as Amber Josephine Liu is the only heir of my properties, the only blood that will inherit my legacy and the only grandchild of mine that I have. I'm writing this at the end of my age, regretting of past mistakes to my only son and my daughter- in - law. For 15 years I was too immersed with arrogance, living with the full ego and preventing myself to meet you, my child. I apologised to neglect you when the time I was been informed about the loss of your parents. How I wish I could turn back the time," Choi Fan read through the white paper as he steal a glance at the young Amber. Then he furthered again, 

 

"You are where you belong to, Amber. Taiwan is where I was born, and the place where your father had spent his childhood. I cant redeem for my sins towards your parents and I believed that I can't make the time to meet you but I will leave you with everything I have. My everything is your everything now, Amber. Forgive me even though we've never meet, forgive me for being a bad grandpa, and forgive me for the hard times you've been through. I'm going for my rest place and dont think you're alone because you will have what I have, little Amber. Farewell isnt my option but like how the nature goes, my time will come, sooner or later. I believed, you'll be hearing this when I'm gone. Remember to remember, my love will be around you, always..." and he stopped his reading. 

 

 

Amber didnt say anything, despite she embraced herself in silence, a total silence that made all the adults there went mindless what to do. 

 

"Why now?" her voice was low and barely audible but Choi Fan abled to catch it. So he tried to ask, 

 

"Yes? What do you say?" 

 

Amber titled her head up and stared at the man's face. 

 

"Why now? And why me?" she replied with a sad tone. That made the guy signalled his two partners to leave them alone for a while which they understand and they did. 

 

"Kiddo, it is fine for you to feel that..." he muttered as slowly made himself sit beside the girl. "About why, I dont have the answer for you. But I have a clue, you will understand if, you're letting go all of these sincerely. I have a faith to the stand that anything happen for reason," 

 

He continued as he curved a warm smile, "Like what your grandpa said in his will, you will have everything he had for now, Amber. Since I'm his personal assistant, so then I will be your personal assistant. Those two are his most loyal and trusted bodyguards so now they will be your company too after this. One thing I want you to know, your future is there in Taiwan not here, Amber. Allow me to help you so then you will be happy again..." 

 

 

She listened to all his words well, and she do understand the meanings. Instead of her young age and experience, she knew she should decide what is the best for her upcoming future. Amber wiped out her tears and looked at the man again. 

 

 

 

"Teach me how, Mr. Choi Fan. I want to be happy," and all that she said made he moved both cheeks until they reached almost at the ears. 

 

 

 

***

 

She watched how the coffin slowly disappear from her sight inch by inch. Standing there, seeing her guardian being 'resting' into her final place, the young Amber cried silently. Closing her eyes so tight, she imagined the smile of the old woman who gave all her love during her lifetime, just to make she feel happy. 

 

As the funeral ended, Amber was been escorted by Choi Fan, the bodyguards and some of the neighbours including Mr. Son's family to her way back home. 

 

It was almost midnight. Everything happen so fast to her and she cant still believe that Helmoni just gone. The noon was the old woman's time departed from this world and just now, it was truly the full stop in the story of Amber and her lovely guardian, Madam Goo, as her lifeless body in the coffin had been sent away down in the ground, separating them. 

 

 

 

"Our flight will be at 1 pm tomorrow. Take your belongings as much as you want, kiddo," Choi Fan informed as he ruffled Amber's messy hair. "I will be sleeping with them at the living room. Make sure try to get some sleep okay?" 

 

Amber just nod. She turned around and ready to walk into her room as she remembered someone in her mind on that moment. So she faced again the tall guy. 

 

"My school. About me leaving, shouldnt I tell them first?" she asked. 

 

 

"Oh, well... Dont worry about that, Yuxei will go to your school and settle everything. Meanwhile Gui and us will proceed your emergency passport and visa tomorrow morning. Let's stick to the plan, alright?" that were the man's detailed answer. 

 

 

"Alright then... Good night, Mr. Choi Fan," Amber replied. 

 

"A-ah, dont call me Mr. Choi Fan. Your father treats me like his older brother so I am your uncle now. It will be Uncle Choi Fan then, okay?" he corrected and chuckled a bit. 

 

And Amber nod again before she left the space, heading to her own room. 

 

 

 

***

 

She looked carefully the main noticeboard, not searching for her name but for someone else's. 

 

5. Amber Josephine Liu - 82% 

 

"There you are," she murmured. "Oh my, I'm good at tutoring actually. She is the fifth rank!" Krystal praised herself as she squealed in joy. Realizing she's not alone and having some other classmates around, and they are looking at her weirdly, the pretty girl changed herself into the cold mode again before stepping away. 

 

See... Efforts can change the results. I believe you've done very great, Amber. The girl speak to her mind as she curved a satisfying smile. 

 

Krystal made her way back into the classroom after the recess. She's been wondered why Amber is absent on that day and as the homeroom teacher came in, she got the answer. 

 

 

"I'm sad to inform this but I must to because she is the part of our class. Everyone, Amber's guardian or more likely her grandma had passed away yesterday in the noon and the funeral takes place before midnight. And today, one man appeared in the principal office, introduced himself as the bodyguard of the late grandfather of Amber's, confirming that she will be leaving to Taiwan this afternoon. It is hard for me to accept this but all I can do is pray the best for Amber. That is my purpose of coming into the class for now, so, see you again for the next term..." Mrs. Woo delivered the speech with the lowest tone that she can make, as she hold her tears from her eyes. 

Amber is a good student for her. And the girl's latest academic achievement made she proud of her even more. From the bottom, she had reached among the best rank in the batch. She couldnt describe how much she wants Amber to see her name on the board, but since the girl's sudden departure cannot be stopped, the four-eyed woman just able to wish all the best for her student. 

 

 

Once their homeroom teacher stepped out from the class, the boys and girls went into buzz, talking about the information that they've just got. Amber's Helmoni who passed away and her sudden departure to Taiwan. 

 

Only Krystal sitting at her seat. Absorbing everything in her mind, her face went all red as her eyes getting teary until she can't cleary see. 

 

 

Helmoni.... 

She remembered of the wrinkled face of Madam Goo and how warm her embrace was.  

 

 

And Amber, the last thing she said to her. 

 

 

"Take care, princess," 

 

 

 

 

Her sincere smile. 

 

 

 

Not knowing why, the girl rose up from her chair and ran out from the class, rushing to unknown direction. 

 

And those flashback played in her mind. 

 

"I think you are a lucky bell to me, Krys,"

 

"You came and change my world. You made me feel worth to chase something. You're like a lucky bell to me. Once it ring, and the goods show up in just blink of an eye. You are really special, Krys…"

 

“Of course, I will, Krystal. I will never forget my first best friend,”

 

"Krystal, the day you asked to be my friend, that was the moment where I had fall for you. The friendship you give is very precious to me and I cant deny you're my only best friend in this world. But day by day passed, I realized, I adore you more than just a friend," 

 

"I love you so much, Krys. I really am..." 

 

 

"O-oh, it-s fine... I am sorry for disturbing you actually, "

 

"I see you're busy with these paperworks and it must be tough for you right? Glad you have Myungsoo to bring you out. Go on then, Krys. You need a rest, " 

 

 

 

"Take care, princess," 

 

 

Krystal let the tears streamed down heavily and she doesnt care what people will going to say, looking at her running through the hallway. All in her mind is Amber, her best friend and her innocent smiles. 

 

She reached the gym and rushed to find Myungsoo. The boy is in the middle of throwing shots as he captured the figure of his girlfriend. His smile faded as their distance closed in. 

 

"Krystal? What's wrong?? Why you're crying??" he tried to ask. 

 

 

"A-Amber... You, need to bring me to the airport I mean like, right now. She's going away from me, and her flight will be this noon," Krystal replied between her sobs. 

 

The boy furrowed his eyebrow then "Wait, what?? Amber is leaving?? What do you mean???" 

 

 

Krystal held her tears for a while as she continued again, "Dont ask me the details. I dont have so much time left. Please Myungsoo, I need to see my friend," 

 

"Okay-okay, let's go," Myungsoo answered as he grabbed Krystal's hand. "We use my bike. Is that okay?" 

 

Still crying, Krystal just nodded in agreement as she doesnt have any option to reach for Amber faster.

Afterward, both of them hurriedly ran to the parking lodge, and in just a few minutes, the superbike left the school with the highest speed, heading directly to the airport. 

 

 

***

 

"Here, listen to this. Music sometimes can make us feel better," told Choi Fan as he gave Amber a blue-black i-Pod that he just bought once they arrived at that spacious yet grand place. "Go on, take it," 

 

Amber stared at the man blankly before she reached for the item and take a look at it first. The man chuckled at the tomboy's reaction, which he found quite funny. It was like her first time seeing an I-Pod. He put the earphones on, chose a track and let the girl listened to the device. 

 

"Its good," Amber replied-short. 

 

Choi Fan cant help but to laugh. He ruffled Amber's hair, flashing a wide smile. "Just enjoy it, kiddo," 

 

 

He glanced at the watch and and wondered his eye on the board above them. 30 minutes before the departure time and since they're already checked in, Choi Fan had nothing to be settle anymore. He sat on the seat beside Amber and started to focus on the magazine. 

 

 

 

Four of them finally listened to the announcement that they've been waiting for. The gate for their flight had been opened. 

 

Choi Fan pulled Amber's body a little bit close to him, as they walked side to side with the boarding pass in their hands. The teenager sighed and her personal assistant caught her gloomy expression through that. He slightly shook Amber's left shoulder and convinced the girl that everything will going to be okay. 

 

 

***

 

The pretty girl ran as fast as she can as she passed through the entrance. Myungsoo followed close at her back but Krystal is a faster than him, so he sort of being left behind. 

 

 

She stopped, trying to regain her breath again, with eyes continuosly checking around the place. 

 

 

"Amber...where are you..." she mumbled, crying. 

 

"Last recall, the passengers to Taoyuan International Airport can proceed to the Gate 5 in the left and the flight will depart in 10 minutes..." the operator sound echoed through the airport and made Krystal's heart beats faster than usual. She roamed around again and tried to find the gate. 

 

Once she found it, the long-haired girl managed to catch the figure of her best friend who is walking through the pass way. She ready to chase but the officer was fast enough to stop her from passing the gate. 

 

 

"Miss, you can't get in without showing me first the boarding pass. Is it with you???" 

 

Krystal ignored the uniformed woman and she shouted, 

 

"Amber!!!"

 

Myungsoo reached the spot and managed to hold Krystal from her back. 

 

"Easy, Krystal. We cant go there," told him. 

 

She cried again, calling out her best friend's name, 

 

 

"Amber!!!!" 

 

When there's no response from the tomboy, only the sight of her disappearance time by time, Krystal's knee became weak and she stumbled on the floor. 

 

 

On that time, she know she just lost her best friend. 

 

 

And Amber is the one who left her.