EMPAT PULUH SATU

I'm a Hapless

(Listening to Something Like This by Coldplay feat The Chainsmokers)

 

 

“How are you feeling?” Amber asked her wife as they settled down on the audience seat.

 

“Well, quite okay,” Krystal replied short. “Did he know we came?”

The hubby just nod in response. “I told him I will come with you,”

“Are you cold?” Amber asked, reaching both the wife’s hands and rubbed them together with hers. “If I know the weather could be this bad, we shouldn’t come. You might get sick,”

 

Krystal gave Amber a stare then. “Kris is your friend, Amber. Your existence is very important, you know. Remember, he will be the godfather for our baby,”

 

“O-oh… you’re right,” Amber quickly said. “No, I didn’t mean to offense but I worry more about you. Lately you’re not feeling well and plus the current weather is not good, it might affect your health condition. I don’t like seeing you weak and lifeless, Krys,”

 

“As you can see, I’m clearly all right,”

 

“Yes, now all right, but maybe after this not all right,”

 

The pretty face only chuckled at her lover’s over-concern side. She playfully pinched Amber’s cheek, sticking her tongue out at her,

“You llama, stop being so protective, will you? I want to enjoy the movie and of course our baby in here also want to hear it too,”

“If you treat me that famous Kobe beef after this, I swear I’ll be okay until we get home,”

 

“Offhh, is that okay for pregnant woman to eat meat every day, Soojung?”

 

“More than okay, Amber. It lighten up my mood so what’s the problem? Besides, I can feel she’s kicking me when I smell the good aroma of beautiful steak…” Krystal said, imagining the dishes right in front of her eyes. She slurped to ease her craving and lean on Amber’s broad shoulder.

“But I crave you more, don’t worry,”

 

Amber whistled, raising her eyebrows and looked at Krystal closed, “Not now, please. We are in public,”

 

“The movie is already starting so keep quiet,” Krystal laughed and hushed.

 

“Did you just shushed me?”

 

“I said quiet, llama face,”

 

Amber hissed then before shifting her eyes towards the big screen.

 

An hour later...

 

The round of applause echoed the space as when the white screen went dark. The crowd stood from the seats as the casts and the whole of crew of the film appeared on the stage and bowed.

Once the mic had been passed over to the tallest figure, he took it and smiled willingly.

 

"First of all, I wanna thanks all of you for coming today, especially my best friend there sitting at the back, with the wife," he stated while waving at Amber and Krystal. He continued then, "This is my first debut movie in Japan and I was nervous because all of you are very important to film industries. I'm glad taking this chance and collaborated with such amazing production, the crews, and not to forget my fans who's always with me through hard and easy,"

 

Amber smiled as she listened to Kris's speech, while clapping her hands.

 

"He looks so pale," whispered Krystal.

 

"Sure he is. He is trying to control his anxiety maybe. That guy practiced for that simple speech for two consecutive days, Krystal. He even asked me what to deliver for today,"

 

"Where's Sica unnie anyway???" the long-haired woman asked while roaming her eyes around. "She reached airport this morning. Impossible if she's still in the road,"

 

Amber slightly shifted her face close to her wife's, "They can't meet or have any interaction in public, Krys. She's waiting at the restaurant already, she texted me just now,"

 

"I see... So this is for business yes?"

 

The handsome boyish nodded, confirmed it clear.

 

"I'm glad we don't need to hide like them. Poor these idols,"

 

Amber just chuckled at Krystal's statement then.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Kris, Amber and Krystal entered the space as the man opened the sliding door wide. They found another woman is sitting on the bamboo mattress, welcoming them with the table full of foods.

 

"Whoa, beef!!!" Krystal screamed excitedly. She rushed and sat instantly beside her sister, reaching for the chopsticks and took a bite of the half-cook meat. "This is so delicious!"

 

"Easy monster, you might scare the baby in your tummy," told Amber as she took place at the Japanese traditional dining table. Wiping the stain at Krystal's lips, Amber can't help but to smile at her wife. "Another side of your little sister that I've got to see, Jess. Before this, she sits properly and looking elegant. Now, seems everything gone,"

 

"Yah Soojung, dont eat mine, you have yours already," the older warned Krystal as the brunette trying to reach for her portion in the plate.

 

"Aish you're so mean, unnie," she complained at the eldest. "Fine, I'll take all the mushrooms then,"

 

"Hey, save some for me!"

 

"Oh why??? Your plate is full already!"

 

The duo just laughed at the sisters' childish antics. Amber put all her portion onto her wife's plate and looked at Kris, "Just give them what we have, buddy. These foods aint enough for these monster siblings,"

Laughing, Kris did it as well.

 

"So what we're going to eat now?" he asked, watching both Krystal and Jessica whom still glued at the food.

 

"Urm, wait here. I'm going to ask for their rice wine," she rose from the floor and walked to the door and slide it open.

 

Once the wooden entrance gets wide, Amber caught a familiar figure in her sight, standing beautifully in front of her with another woman, who slightly taller and a blondie at her back.

 

They both went speechless, surprised to see each other on that moment.

 

 

 

 

 

"Mina?" the blondie called the name. "You know this man?"

 

Amber changed her attention to the other woman then.

 

"Oh, yes I know," Mina snapped out from her thoughts automatically. She looked back at the latter, saying, "Not a man, Jungyeon unnie. She's Amber, my former partner,"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

The beautiful lady sniffed her running rose as she took a glimpse of Amber's face.

 

They're sitting on the wooden bench under the maple tree as the wind blows smoothly in the cold weather. At first, the silence was the only thing appeared between them until Amber voiced out calmly,

 

"How you doing?"

 

Mina nodded, "I'm doing fine here, Amber. What about you?"

 

"Same," Amber replied. She looked at her ex-girlfriend then. "You're looking pretty as usual,"

 

The younger woman sighed a little smile after the compliment.

 

"Yes I am but not much pretty than your wife,"

 

"I believe all women in this world are..." before Amber can finish, she intruded,

 

"Equally beautiful. You said that to all people that you've met, right?"

 

The tomboy let out a chuckle, "And its true,"

 

Mina stared at the face that once she had admired the most, smilling, "You're happier with Krystal. I can see that,"

 

"Happy to be happy with everything, Mina. And you're looking bright than usual, that blondie, who is she to you? New love?"

 

"No no no---," Mina nervously denied. "She's uhm.. my... close partner,"

 

"Really? Just close partner but wearing the same from top of the head until bottom? Hey Mina, Krystal and me are married but we never wear same outfits like that,"

"Are you sure?" Amber gave Mina her mysterious look, teasing. "We were not even like that before,"

 

"Its really nothing," she slightly slapped Amber's arm, hiding her shy side. "Stop that evil smile, Amber, its embarassing,"

 

And they both laughed.

 

Amber put her hand on the latter's head, caressing them gently. "You love her, Myoui Mina. You can't lie, its your weakness," and they exchanged soft stares into each other's sincere eyes.

 

"Yeah, I'm weak when it comes to love matter, Amber. But after being with you, I learn I must be strong. Our past relationship led me to know great person like Jungyeon,"

 

"Now you're admitting," said Amber.

 

Mina flashed her bright smile to the boyish, "Yeah I am. Satisfied?"

 

 

"Much satisfied," the short hair nodded vigorously.

 

"I'm glad you found your happiness, penguin,"

 

"Me too," added Mina, "You two are beautiful. I read a lot of article about you and her. The kind CEO and her pretty wife, you've got yourself a bunch of fans although you're not an idol,"

 

"You're not forgetting me like what I asked. Why?"

 

She glanced at the falling leaves for a moment before turning her head and stared at the handsome face,

 

 

 

"Because you taught me how to embrace, Amber. Your love is very precious, I still living with it in every second of my life. I can't just throw it away because I was hurt. I keep it and that's make me feel better. Is that what we call... sincerity?"

 

Smilling, Amber nodded again.

 

"Yes, it is a sincere love,"

 

 

"Thanks Amber," Mina confessed in her slow tone.

 

As she clearly see the shine through the younger's stare, Amber knows, she's really mean what she said.

 

 

"Most welcome, Myoui Mina,"Amber muttered and continued, "So, are we okay now?"

 

 

"Yes we are,"

 

 

"No holding grudge or anything, right?"

 

Mina shook her head down.

 

"And you will be around to see my child?"

 

"Yes yes, master dino,"

 

Amber raised her pinky finger, "This is a deal,"

 

Instead of linking their fingers together, Mina grabbed Amber's hand and shook it vigorously.

 

"And you promise to be my friend till we're old, okay?"

 

"No, correction," Amber paused,

 

 

"Till the end of time, Mina. That's more precise,"

 

 

And the brightest smile curved upon their lips, as the sign of their new friendship.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Amber was busy on the desk, scrolling through the white screen as her wife entered the space. She put the lunchbox on the mini table and called her hubby.

 

"Lunchtime, llama-dino. Stop what you're doing and come here eat," she ordered, sounding like an employer.

 

Surprised, Amber looked at her wife, mouth a little agape. "You, mighty Jung. Your tummy is already as big as mountain but you still have guts to come all over here???" she left her workplace and walked to the long-sofa.

 

 

"Oh come on, its so boring in the house, Amber. I'm all alone. If I talk to the wall, you call me crazy," Krystal commented.

 

"Haishhh," Amber exhaled a deep breath, "Alright-alright, I'll finish all the foods. Happy now?"

 

Grinning, Krystal welcomed her hubby with an arms open which the latter gladly took.

 

"You're going to be a mother sooner, Krystal Jung. Please act real mature," the tomboy said.

 

"And you're going to be... urm what do you like her to call you? Father?" she pulled back her long hair while munching the gimbap. "Or mother too?"

 

Already sitting beside the wife figure, she just shrugged her shoulder and took a bite of Krystal's homemade omelette.

"I dont mind, father or mother. The first thing she said to me, then yes, it is what I will be addressed," 

 

 

"Hwohh...you're cool," Krystal cooed playfully.

 

The couple were enjoying the meal with laughs and putting jokes to each other when Amber accidentally glanced at Krystal's light-blue skirt. Frowning, she questioned,

"Pregnant woman not having period, right?"

 

"What?" Krystal asked back.

 

Referring to the red stain, Amber added, "There, its blood on your skirt,"

 

The woman looked down on her lower parts. Before she can utter a word, a sudden pain attacked and her face contorted. "Hubby, my tummy, its hurtss,"her hands reached for Amber's thigh, gripping it tight.

 

"Krys, what's wrong?" Amber began to panic. She held back the latter's hand and looked at her face.

She watched Krystal tried to endure the pain as she grunted endlessly. Not wasting anytime, she shouted for Hayoung to come into the space as she lifted Krystal's weak body from the sofa.

 

"Oh my..." the assistant's was shocked to see Krystal's condition as she walked in. "What happen, Amber-sshi???"

 

"I dont know. Take my keys on the desk, please. We need to reach hospital as soon as possible,"Amber firmly commanded.

 

The latter just nod and followed her order.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

"She didnt tell you?" the middle age man, named Dr. Park asked Amber as she sit in his room.

 

"About what, Dr. Park? She just fine, right?"

 

The physician stared at Amber for a while and took a deep breath.

 

"Look, this is not the perfect time for me to tell you but Amber, your wife's pregnancy is too risky. She needs to undergo surgery and you must to choose,"

 

"What?" the boyish still unclear with the doctor's explanation. "What do you mean?"

 

They exchanged stares until the man gave a brief,

"Between your wife and the baby, you must choose who to be saved, Amber,"

 

 

Like a thunder lightning through, Amber was stunned at the seat.

 

"I had informed Krystal that her pregnancy is very risky. She might die carrying the baby but she said you love this child so much, Amber. She said you're so happy so she didnt want to ruin anything,"

"I'm sorry but we need your decision as soon as possible. The time is ticking and we aint got time to extend,"

 

 

"Clear your mind, Amber. Its about life and death of Krystal,"

 

 

 

The doctor's word only an echoes through her ears afterward as she lost her mind on that moment.

 

 

 

 

 

Reminiscing the smiles of Krystal, Amber tilted her head down and covered her face with both palms, crying eventually.

 

 

 

 

 

"Krys... why you make it too hard for me..." she muttered between her sobs. Meanwhile Dr. Park only able to observe, guilty as he felt towards the young couple.