TUJUH BELAS

I'm a Hapless


Jessica stared at her best friend. She started to whine when the younger ignore her pouting face as she looked away and continued her work, pretending that she heard nothing. 

 

"Ber, I'm talking to you. Will you please stop for a moment? Try to have a conversation here," she voiced out, half- unsatishfied. 

 

*No reaction, only the sound of the pencil being scratch on the paper*

 

 

"Jeezz... statue-Dino mode on and I hate that..." she sighed desperately. "Amber Liu, could you please reconsider? This is the only chance I have, for my carrier. I need a sponsor or aint no concert live here, in South Korea. Mind telling me why you reject all those offers huh? Better tell me now or I swear Im gonna kill you after this," 

 

The boyish finally stopped her doing and looked at her friend, exhaling an amount of air. 

 

"Alright, first. Each sponsor offers tons of money with rules. I repeat, RULES, you Jessica Jung. We might must follow everything they say and perhaps, it might torture, you, in particular?" 

 

"Oh come on..." 

 

"No come on and now, the second one," Amber didnt let the woman finish her words as she intruded, "My principle, sort of we can say... my artist is fully free from any tight reinforcement where I see it may lead to depression and pressure. Music is mean to entertain, not only for business. I told you all of these before, Jessica. Wont you remember???" 

 

She sighed, nodding her head but then replied with a cute frown, 

 

"So you wont let me having a solo concert here then???" 

 

 

"Ughhhhffff... You're killing me here, ice," complained Amber, while rubbing her forehead. "Our management can afford your mighty solo concert, of course. Its just the sponsor part, I'm not interested. There will be terms and condition and I dont prefer to be control by another people, so please, understand me," 

"I know I know, millions wons will make your chance to shine here in South Korea brighter than the stars but hello Miss America, rather than doing something you love to with your own will or being manipulate to do the thing you want to. Which one is the best, you think?" 

 

"Erm... doing with my own will, absolutely," Jessica paused. 

 

Amber flashed a bright smile then. 

"Good girl, finally," 

 

 

"Amberrr~~~" suddenly, she whined and pouted again which made Amber's exhaled harshly as she asked, 

 

"WHAT NOW?" 

 

 

"I'm alright with your decision now. So to make it equal you have to listen to me as well, okay?" 

 

 

"What are you trying to say??" 

 

 

 

Jessica pursed her lips, "Tonight at 8, see you at Blue Sea Cruise with perfect tuxedo and I suggest please manage your hair properly. The guests will not believe that one of the biggest stockholder of Cordel Entertainment is you, with that mushroom style. I have to see you there, okay?" 

 

 

"I dont say...." 

 

 

"End of discussion. Goodbye and see you tonight, The Amber Liu," Jessica didnt let the later argue for the next moment. She rose up from the seat and playfully waved her hand. "Tata titi tutu...." 

 

Then, she disappeared from the main office. 

 

 

 

"Aish... "Amber mentally face-palmed herself. 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Incheon Port, Blue Sea Cruise- 8.05pm

 


"There you are, very smart and elegant. That's the way I like it!" Jessica said happily. She tapped the broad shoulder in proud way as the smile widen between her rosy cheeks. 

Amber gave her friend a scoff smile, "Pleasure to be here, thank you," 

 

"Haha, that dino nostril still the main attraction," she joked. "Be nice to my relatives and close friends okay? Ah, and... one more thing for sure, very important to you, my half-sister isnt friendly at first time but trust me, she's kind and of course like me, she's very pretty," 

 

The handsome face mocked a laugh and it faded a moment after. "So pretty like the Statue of Liberty. Too much proud, lady, too much proud," 

 

"Aish, we need to get in, Ber. Come here, stop talking and lets go," stated Jessica as she reached for Amber's hand and linked with hers. The gown she wore was so long and that made the best friend need to hold it for her from the back. Then, both of them walked through the small bridge that connected the port and the big ship. 

"Just look around and search for something interesting okay? I need to find my dad. You wait here," the older said as she walked away. 

 

Amber exhaled as she roamed her eyes around. Knowing no one there, she decided to get herself a glass of champagne so walking with her right hand inside the pocket, she managed to reach the main table after passing a few people in the small crowd. 

 

The moment she touched the tall glass, another hand also reached for the same one. And they met. 

That's when Amber shifted her head to the right side. 

 

(Playing I Believe by Younha) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ev7OnL-yIY

 

 

The goddess face changed as they stared at each other. 

 

Then, the flashback played in Amber's eyes.

 

 

" I should ask you to be my friend first, didn’t' I? I'm being rude for just demand you around but I didn’t realize what kind of situation you're in," 

 

"Would you be my friend?"

 

"Don’t go if you don't need to,"

 

“Hey Amber, remember this. People aren’t the same. Each of us has our own stories. Maybe most of them with struggle and hardships, or with happiness and satisfactions of what they want, but being grateful of what we are a lot better. I can’t take your pain away, but I believed, a hand of friendship might help you to cheer up. What I am doing right now is, a simple and tiny thing of a friend to her friend. We’re friends, Amber,”

 

“Stupid, can you promise me something?”

 

“You won’t ever forget me even though you’re a successful person in future. If we’re separated, you will find me no matter what happen. Pinky promise,” 

 

Her past feelings lingered again inside as she used to remember what happened between them 10 years ago. 

 

"Yeah, we're friends," 

 

 

"Amber, I think you're just confuse,"

 

 

"Maybe I'm being nice to you, and that's why you're feeling that way. But, whatever you feels, we're friends, okay?" 

 

 

 

As she lowered her head a bit, calming herself, Amber greeted the beautiful woman or as known as, her past best friend, 

 

 

"Hey Krys," said Amber, giving a little smile while hiding her pain and hurtful memories which just re-appear again as she looked at the brunette in the eye. 

 

 

It took Krystal almost a minute to believe the innocent Amber for the past ten years is standing handsomely in front of her eyes. The messy llama she used to tease is gone. Now, Amber is totally different. 

She grew much taller, her dark skin turned flawless and the only thing remain is her smile. Dont know why, Krystal's eyes became teary. 

 

"Amber..." she uttered, closing her widen mouth with her palms. "You're back..." 

 

 

The boyish nodded, still smiling. 

 

 

The precious reunite broke as the sound of microphone echoed from the stage. And a familiar voice spoken out, which Amber knew the person very well. 

 

"Good night everyone, I'm Myungsoo here, and it is such a pleasure to have all of you tonight. I'm glad, really. As like what you've been informed, Krystal and me will get engage," he pulled a bit the coat's sleeve as he glanced at the expensive watch, " In just for a few minutes, so stay tune, alright?" he finished and smiled brightly. 

 

The people laughed at him, in manner way. They gave him applause as he bowed down and waved his hand, still putting a bright smile on the face. 

 

 

Krystal and Amber turned to look at each other again. 

 

 

 

Before they can say a word, Jessica was the first to interrupt the moment as she called for the name almost shouting, 

"Soo Jungie! Here you are!" the golden hair woman threw her body toward the younger one as she embraced their body together. 

Amber frowned at first but then she managed to understand. After her present best friend released the hug, she tried to ask, 

 

"So Krystal is your little sister???" 

 

Realized she unpurposely forgot the existence of Amber, Jessica apologized, slightly face-palmed herself. "Oh my Prada! I forgot to introduce her! Amber, this is Krystal, my half-sister and Soojung this is Amber, my best friend slash my boss and partner in business," 

 

Amber chuckled, "Jess, actually I'd known Krystal for such a long time ago. It was the time when I dont even know you yet. For me, coincidence that we can meet again after ten years passed. So no need an introduction cause I'd known her pretty well," she glanced at the white-dressed lady. "But the only part I didnt know that... two of you are sisters, well half sister. It is your dad or mother....?" 

 

 

"Unnie's mom was dad's first wife. So we are sharing the same father," finally Amber can heard to Krystal's voice. 

 

"Oh I see..." Amber replied. 

"It such a long time, right Krys? The last moment of us before I flew to Taiwan and then we lost contact," 

 

She furthered again, stared straight into Krystal's sharp eyes, 

 

"You're one of the best person that I'd know back then," 

 

 

 

Krystal went speechless. She doesnt know how to reply as she recognized that kind of stare from Amber. So they both sanked in total silence. 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, looking at those two, Jessica gave her confuse look. The atmosphere was so awkward and she found herself feeling so weird to stand between them. 

 

"Hello two of you, still alive??? I dont know you'd lived here before, Amber Liu and you befriended with my sister. So tell me the whole story, from the beginning until the end. I want to know," she complained, sounded like in desperate to get the explanation. 

 

Amber and Krystal already opened their mouth to react to Jessica's question but Myungsoo was fast enough to notice of the soon-to-be-his-fiance's figure and shouted, calling her Korean name, 

 

"Soo Jung!" 

 

They were been interrupted again. 

The trio was joined by another person who happened to be Amber's former friend too. 

 

"Hey sister in law! I dont know you bring your handsome boyfriend along. Dont mind to tell me who is this lucky guy?" asked Myungsoo as he walked in. 

 

Jessica and Amber exchanged look, surprised. 

 

"Oh no..." 

 

"No, she's not my boyfriend," 

 

That was both of their answers. While Krystal can't take her eyes off Amber, watching the boyish secretly. 

 

"Myung, you dont remember me?" Amber questioned and added, "We were team mates in high school," 

 

The dimple man furrowed his eye brows, looking at Amber closely. 

 

 

 

"Oh. My Goshhhhhhhhh, Amberrrrrrr!!!!" he screamed and suddenly pulled Amber's shoulder towards him, hugging them tight. The tomboy's body was tensed for a moment before she hugged the guy back, as she tapped Myungsoo's back gently. 

 

"Wow, goodness! I cant believe it! Its you Amber! Now let me look at you," he shook Amber's shoulder a bit and spinned her body around a few times, more like checking the latest appearance of his friend up and down. "Buddy, you've changed a lot! 

 

"Ten years, Myungsoo. Time changed everything," replied Amber with a smile. 

 

"Man... what happen to your messy hair? And... you're looking so nice now hah? I mean, it is totally different! I cant even recognize you just now! OMG, Amber, you're back to us!" 

 

She fake a laugh when Myungsoo meant the 'us' part. It is Myungsoo and her past best friend, Krystal. Also, her past admire and her first love. Amber watched how Myungsoo pulled Krystal closed to his side and the way he gave a smile to her, she still cant deny that the guy loves Krystal so much. 

The reality that still hits her everytime she remembers. 

 

"Double shot for today, seriously. My head already hurts, trying to absorb to the fact that this Amber actually was your both best friend before. And now, she is my best friend. Such a miracle that you guys can meet again, I am right???" Jessica intruded the conversation and Myungsoo joined her laugh. Amber just chuckled meanwhile Krystal still with her timid face. 

 

"Very meaningful to us because Amber appeared again on our engagement day. Actually Sica-noona, I knew Krystal through this buddy. She was the only girl who joined our school's basketball team, lead us to the legend victory and the only person who close with this love of mine. I cant imagine if without Amber there, probably I dont know how wonderful Krystal was," explained Myungsoo, as he grabbed the younger woman's hand and kissed it lovingly. "Right, Soojung?" 

 

 

"Yeah..." it was only a short response from Krystal. 

 

 

"I'm happy you're still together for these past years, Myung. Thank you for taking care of my best friend," claimed Amber. She tapped the guy's shoulder, "And congrats for your engagement tonight. How happy I am, only God knows," 

 

"Oww, thank you buddy," the only male there expressed his overwhelm by hugging Amber again. "Thank you for coming back. So now, dont go anymore, okay? You should stay and see our wedding at the end of this year. And Amber, promise me you will be here?" 

 

 

Amber nodded, smiled and slightly closed her eyes as she answered the guy, 

 

"Yes Myung, I will be here," 

 

 

 

 

***

(Listening to Stay With Me Instrumental Version by Punch feat Chanyeol EXO)

 

 

Just standing there, witnessing Myungsoo and Krystal put the engagement ring to each other, Amber clapped along with the crowd when the couple had been announce as official fiances. Myungsoo also confirmed their wedding will be held on 24th October this year and they planned to spend their honeymoon in Tokyo, Japan. 

 

She dont know what she feels on that time. 

Amber watched the couple for afar, curving a little smile when the guests approached and congratulated them with their bright and happy faces. 

 

She stepped out from the main hall and went straight to the deck of the grand cruise. Staring deep at the dark sky, Amber inhaled and exhaled her breathe gently. The wind blew her short hair and it did sooth the tomboy a bit. 

She was closing her eyes when she felt her cellphone was vibrating repeatedly from inside her pocket. Hurriedly took it out, Amber smiled when she looked at the screen. 

 

"I love you," Amber said. 

 

Then she heard the person from other line laughed. 

 

"Love you too... Now why with the sudden confession? Miss me already?" 

 

That's Amber's turn to laugh. "Well, of course! Why I cant say I love you to my favourite person? And hey, actually you are the one who miss me right? You called me, pretty penguin,"

 

"Okay-okay, I am sorry. Yes I miss you so much, Dino. I just reached my room in this hotel and tired as heck. So how are you? Is everything fine there without me? What about the new unit? Are you okay living alone this week? Did you take breakfast before office or not???"

 

"Whoa, calm down baby, too much questions for one time," replied Amber. "I'm doing well. I did take breakfast before work but only drink a cup of coffee. I miss your cooking actually. When you get back here? Is there still a lot of thing to settle down? How I wish I can go with you to Daegu...." she said, almost pouting at the last part.

 

"Not much left, just tomorrow and the day after that, and I'm coming back. I miss you too, Amber. So much,"  Mina's soft voice made her mood lighten up and encouraged Amber to further their conversation,

 

"Why we're acting childish suddenly huh? Its just been a week but we felt like being separated for a year," Amber chuckled and then she heard Mina's laugh again. "Its your fault why we're being like this. You know I cant live without you," 

 

"Oh hey! Not entirely my fault! You've convinced me to attend this occasion, right? Amber Liu, I came here because of youuuu," 

 

"Hahahaha, yeah-yeah, sorry baby, kind of forgot I'm the one who sent you there. Did you greet Mr. Park like I asked you to?" 

 

"Yes, I did and Amber, you didnt tell me that you bought that studio! He came and congratulated me saying that I'm the new owner!" 

 

"Ooopss.. looks like my surprise gift had been exposed...." teased Amber. 

 

"I'm sorry if I burdened you, Amber..." Mina's confession made the handsome face sighed calmly and smiled, even though her lovely girlfriend wasnt there. 

 

"No, dont be sorry to me, Mina. Its my special gift to the only girl that I love. I know its your dream to be a professional ballerina and with that studio, it may help you, maybe not much but at least I can be a part of your life, isnt it? Watching you practicing alone in that old dance room, I cant stand with it. I hired Mrs. Chou too to assist you so... good luck okay?" 

 

She tried not to laugh as she awared the sudden silence from her lover. 

 

"Baby... dont cry please?" 

 

 

"Amber--- t-thank you---and I love you forever, please remember this..." her voice cracked as she said between her sobs. 

 

"I will always remember Myoui Mina, I promise. So now, take a deep breath and relax. Go for a warm shower and try to sleep, will you? Let's have a candle light dinner when I got you here," 

 

"Alright, Amber. I love you," 

 

 

"Love you too, penguin," 

 

"Goodnight and bye my Dino," 

 

 

"Yes goodnight too, my penguin...bye..." 

 

 

And the call ended. 

 

Amber shook her head, smiling to herself as she recalled how funny it was the emotinal side of her girlfriend. She put back the smart phone and continued enjoying the night view of the port. 

 

 

 

"What are you doing here alone? There's a lot of food inside," another soft and beautiful voice greeted her from behind. 

Amber took a glimpse at Krystal's figure as she stood right on her side. 

 

"Oh... just enjoying the view. I'm not hungry anyway that's why..." said Amber. 

 

 

The younger woman played with her fidgeting fingers and titled down her head, dont know what to say next. She already approached the old friend but secretly inside, she ran out a word to utter. 

 

"Congrats to you, Krys. And you look so beautiful tonight," Amber's compliment made Krystal's face went rosy in color. She tried to smile, 

 

"Thanks and you're looking nice too," 

 

"Its awkward right? We didnt meet for ten years and now here we are, standing at each other again," stated Amber. 

 

"Yeah... sort of, actually..." answered Krystal. 

 

Again, the silence embraced them without a reason. For the boyish, she didnt know what to say anymore since Krystal just replied with her short answer. So, she threw her sight again to view of the famous port. 

 

 

 

"Amber, I am sorry..." 

 

 

And the taller figure looked at her friend. "What that sorry for, Krys?" 

 

 

"For everything that happened ten years ago. For being a bad friend, for being such a dumb and for being..." 

 

 

"I already forgot everything, Krystal. So no worry..." Amber's interruption between her words made the long-hair lady stopped. 

 

"Oh...really... that's good then...." she expressed in her slow tone. 

 

Amber shifted her face, stared at the lady straight into her eyes. 

"Its funny to me when I just realized both my best friends are sisters actually. Jessica never tell me your name but always nagged around saying she has a half-sister in South Korea. Everytime she mentioned you, she cant stop saying how much she miss you back then. I am sure, she loves you, Krys," said Amber with a smile. 

 

Krystal smiled back as she remembered of her older sister.  

 

"Yes, I know that..." claimed the beautiful woman and she added, "You... and...my sister... are you..." 

 

Amber frowned, "I....what?" 

 

She didnt have a clue how to explain and ended intertwined both of her palms together. "I mean... you and Sica-unnie.. this..." 

 

 

"Aaaahh, no-no.... We're not a couple... I have girlfriend," once when she understood what those mean, Amber immediately  shook her head in denial.  "We're together for almost two years already. Jessica is like a real sister to me, Krys. She's very nice and kind, just like you before," 

 

 

"O-oh... really..." that was only the response from her. She didnt not make an eye contact with the tomboy when she spoke futher, "You're doing good so far... Jessica told me her life in states and how you guys met. I dont know you're actually the only heir of a wealthy family and I'd become even more surprised the moment I looked at you just now. You're not the messy llama anymore huh?" 

 

"Time changed everything, Krystal. But the only thing which still remain is our friendship, right? Last thing you said to me was 'we're friends'. Remember that?" replied Amber, trying to remind of her old bestie. The lady cant stop herself from nodding her head as she approved Amber's statement. 

 

"Yes, we are," 

 

Then, the tomboy stick out her hand, gladly asked, 

 

 

"So... friend with me again?" 

 

 

Krystal stared at Amber's hand for a while, before lifted her head up again to see the handsome face. 

 

Out from hesitance, she took it and shook their hands together, finally gave Amber the sweetest smile for the first time. 

 

 

"Yes, we're friends again," 

 

 

 

And Amber's smile even wider then she ever curved before. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________

 

My back hurts so much because I've been sitting on the chair from 8 in the morning until 2 in the evening. Can you imagine how hard the lab chair is? The tall and wooden one. I cursed the head department for the long seminar but I cant deny I love her style of speech. 

 

Thanks for reading, commenting, liking, waiting, complaining my story (did you?), subscribing and supporting me all this time. I know this is sad and not really satishfying but I've tried my best putting my full efforts in this story. It based on past experiences and feelings of one sided love. I will more focus on the lesson of life and how important to be grateful to everything surround us. 

 

I chose Myoui Mina from Twice because I like her now. Her natural and gummy smile is so beautiful, right? But the other members of Twice also cute and pretty. 

Whatever happen, I will still ship Krystal and Amber. So, dont worry:) 

 

 

Thanks again everyone from me and lets hope f(x) will make a wonderful music again this year!

 

 

Love always, 

RYAI