EMPAT BELAS

I'm a Hapless

Author POV (Listening to Time Boils The Rain by Kris Wu Yi Fan)

 

Krystal sat herself on the chair and she was about to open her paperwork for Math Club before she awared Amber is not at her seat. 

 

"Wun, where is she?" 

The fat boy just shrugged as his response. The girl started to think, that boyish might be in gym, playing basketball. She released a light breath and went back to her seat, continued completing her work as usual. 

 

"Hey Krys," the voice made her head titled  up spontaneously. And that was the moment Krystal caught Amber's eyes with her. 

 

"I know, I've made you uncomfortable and I am sorry for that. But can we stay as friends?" Amber said with a small smile. 

 

Krystal, again became speechless. Actually she herself didnt know why her sudden behaviour made things more awkward for them. Feeling guilty towards Amber, she finally decided, she should say something. 

 

"Yeah, we're friends," and the reply made Amber smiled even more. 

 

"It is good to hear that, Krys. You've became so quiet lately and I know, I shouldnt say something that I wasn't suppose to..." 

 

"Amber, I think you're just confuse," Krystal interrupted. "Maybe I'm being nice to you, and that's why you're feeling that way. But, whatever you feels, we're friends, okay?" 

 

The short-hair girl tried to hide her real feelings on that time so she fake herself, again. Only if the pretty girl understand, it will be less hurts for her. Instead of replying back, the girl just nod her head, smilling. 

 

"Yes sure," 

 

And the school bell rang loudly. 

 

"Let's go home?" asked Amber. 

 

"Oh..." Krystal stuttered, "Actually I had a plan already. Myungsoo and me, we're going to meet my aunt," she gave Amber her apologetic face then. "I'm sorry, Amber," 

 

"O-oh, it-s fine... I am sorry for disturbing you actually, " Amber laughed a bit, "I see you're busy with these paperworks and it must be tough for you right? Glad you have Myungsoo to bring you out. Go on then, Krys. You need a rest, " Amber expressed her concern. She reached Krystal's head with her hand and gently ruffled it. 

 

"Take care, princess," 

 

 

 

*** 

 

The old woman held her cough as she put down the ladle and shut off the stove. She's having a hard time to breathe, feeling her lung being pressed by something. She sat herself on the wooden chair for a while, taking a moment to regain her energy. 

 

"Amber must be hungry after school..." she mumbled and tried to rise from the seat. Unfortunately, the pain attacked again and the woman stumbled down on the floor. 

And the image of her own-like grandchild flashed in front of her eyes before she went unconscious. 

 

 

*** 

 

"Amber-unnie!" 

 

"Amber-unnie!!!" 

 

"Unnieeee!!!!" the shouting voice from nowhere made Amber stopped her walk. She curiously eyed her surroundings, wondering who was calling her name. 

 

"Amber-unnie! Here, your back!" 

 

 

The teenager turned around then. She caught a small kid with a ponytail is running to her in her fastest speed. She frowned in confusion. It is Chaeyoung, her neighbour's only child. 

 

 

"Hey calm down," she said, as the cute girl approached her. "Dont run that fast, Chaeyoungie. You might fall down and hurt yourself. Why you're calling me?" 

The shorter girl swallowed her salliva before she opened and tried to explain, 

 

 

"Unnie, appa asked me to find you. Omma found Helmoni lying on the floor with blood from . She's in hospital with my omma. Unnie come with me, appa will bring us to the hospital," even though she was struggling to speak, Chaeyoung managed to inform the older girl about Helmoni's condition, which made Amber's eyes widen in surprised. She quickly grabbed the small hand and dragged her away from the place, heading towards her neighbour's. 

 

 

***

 

The skinny Amber cried silently as she's waiting for the emergency room's door being opened. She kept praying to the God, to spare Helmoni's life longer. Her eyes were all red and she cant do anything instead just cry and pray on the meantime. Looking at the poor girl beside her, Mrs. Son, their neighbour, gently soothed Amber's back with her palm. She exchanged a sad look with her husband and weakly released a sigh. 

Meanwhile, Chaeyoung who is still small and barely understand what is happening around her, just sitting soundly at her seat. The eight year old girl witnessed how sad Amber is and deeply inside she feels the same too. 

 

 

And finally, their waiting time ended as the door opened. All of them rose from the seats and looked at the medical team with anticipating eyes. Amber was the first who approached the lead doctor, asking, 

 

"My Helmoni doctor, how is she???" 

 

 

The guy who happened to be the main person in the emergency room released the white mask and stared at the young girl. He used both of his hands, holding tight to Amber's shoulders and pressed them. 

 

 

"I'm sorry kid... We did our best, but... God loves your Helmoni more...." 

 

 

Amber stared at the doctor for a while before she ran into the emergency room. Mr. Son tried to stop her but the medical expert blocked him, slightly shake his head, disapprove. "Let it be, sir. It will be her last time seeing her Helmoni..." 

 

Mrs. Son also cried as she saw Amber hugged the lifeless body of the old woman. She pulled her daughter closed to her, embracing the small one into her arms. 

 

 

"Dont leave me Helmoni..." Amber sobbed. She stared at the pale face and let her tears falling continuously. "Helmoniii, please come back....dont be like this..." 

 

"Dont go Helmoni, I have no one here...." she stuttered between her cries. Mr. Son turned his face away, unwilling to see the final moment between them. Silently, his tears also streamed down from his eyes. His manly side broken just to see Amber crying on the dead body of Madam Goo. 

 

"Amber... enough dear... she might be sad seeing you like this..." Mrs. Son tried to calm Amber as she caressed her back. "She's in her peace right now, honey... Let her go to her rest place..." 

 

 

Hearing those words made Amber's tears even poured down heavily. She hugged Madam Goo's upper body with her arms and keep her face closed to the cold skin. 

 

 

"Helmoni dont go......" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________ 

 

 

I'm crying while typing this. 

 

For those who understand the loss of someone you loved, you know how it feels. 

 

Still, I'm writing even though I'm hella tired because of my long day at the lab.