DUA PULUH SATU

I'm a Hapless

(Listening to Beautiful by Crush) 

 

He wiped off the dirt on the dining table as he exchanged look with the daughter. 

 

"Invite her over, princess. I really want to see how she looks right now, how she's doing," stated Yejun, finished the cleaning, and put the wet towel into trashbin. 

 

"I'm afraid she's a way too busy, Daddy. Main person in such a big company, how could you expect her, to be available, to join us for dinner?" replied Krystal, as she placed the wine glass back onto the rack. 

 

"She will give a time for her long-time friend, my child. Trust me," said Yejun and curved a small smile to her. "Amber that I knew, always prior the person she loves, isnt it?" 

 

Inside her head, immediately compelled, a one yet very strange question upon herself, 

 

 

"Does Amber still loves me?"  

 

So, she turned her body around, faced the tall guy that she adored very much. 

 

 

"She changed a lot, until I cant even recognised her at first place, Daddy," 

 

 

"But, you did know it is Amber, aren't you, princess?" 

 

 

"..." 

 

 

When there's no reply from his youngest child, the retired doctor chuckled. 

 

"We can feel the person close to us by a heart, my love. She was closed to you, and now time brought her back. What's wrong if she already have someone else in her life? You also have Myungsoo," he continued and released the tie of an apron he wore. "Oh, talking about that guy, what's the progression for the stuff? I bet the wedding rings already prepared," 

 

"Offhh, about that," Krystal scoffed as she looked at the old man with big eyes, "Too much business, things that he should care about. Its like the whole world is depending on his decision, Daddy. We ended left the jewelry without even chose any proper rings. Sad, I know," expressed Krystal with her frustration tone. 

 

"Oh its fine... You have all the time in the world, princess," 

 

 

"Yes, all the time until both of us reach seventy and it can be a perfect time to have a wedding," Krystal intruded her father with her sarcastic sentences. 

 

When he saw a very great disappointment from the lady, Yejun noticed something. Krystal never drag about Myungsoo before, but for that moment, all the words spoken were totally full of opposite. 

 

"What is it, Jung Soo Jung? You made it sounds something wrong happen here. Why? What Myungsoo did?" he asked, concerned. 

 

Once she heard her full named being addressed by the man, she acknowledged the serious side of him. 

 

"Come on, tell me. No secret like we promised," added Yejun. 

 

 

"Its just..." gathered courage to spill it out, finally Krystal spoke, "I dont know why I am going to marry him, Daddy. Yes, I love him but the feeling is not the same like our early relationship. He's been too busy raising money, and of course I have right as bride to be. I want everything to be perfect. The wedding dress, the guests, the rings, the menu and you know the etc," she stopped as she glanced at Yejun. "But, it seems I'm going to marry myself because, I did everything without Myungsoo's part. No contribution at all," 

 

"Have you talk to him about this?" 

 

 

"Not yet," 

 

 

"So, ask him then, Krystal. When there's problem, it will be always the solution. When you're keeping it by yourself like this, nothing gonna work, trust me," 

 


"I just think I can help these alone, Daddy. I dont want to burden him," 

 

 

"But you're doing that now," 

 

 

"Do you think so?" 

 

Yejun nodded vigorously at the question. "Myungsoo can take care of you well. Just give him a chance to prove it. What he's been doing right now is for your own future too. He's working hard to make living, for you especially," 

 

Krystal sighed, and placed her on the chair. She didnt reply anything but immersed in the deep thought, almost ignoring the father figure. 

 

 

"I dont know...I'm feeling being left by him for so many times. If he cant make time before our marriage, what about the after marriage then? Possible outcome that I'm afraid, I can give up and end up being a bad wife to him," Krystal's expression once again strike Yejun's attention. 

He hid his own frown and confusion and gave the lady another words, 

"Soojung, just think on the positive side, will you? I'm not sure too why you're asking this but perhaps something disturbing your mind and the sudden questions about Myungsoo popped out. Chillax," 

 

"Wow, you just used modern word, Daddy," said Krystal, half-smiled. 

 

"Chill plus relax, not limited for youngsters only,Krystal. I'm old outside but here inside, I'm still young," replied Yejun, pointing at his chest, proud. 

 

"Oh come on..." she complained, almost laugh at the bearded man. 

 Yejun smiled too when he saw Krystal's smile. 

 

"Now my princess is cheer up again and thanks to her mighty King, Jung Yejun!" 

 

Felt ashamed of her daddy's childish side, Krystal just rolled her eyes but lips still smiling. She reached for the pear and had a bite. With her full-mouth, she mumbled, "Change topic now, your Majesty. I'm bored," 

 

"Alrighty, I command you make sure Amber join us for dinner this weekend?" 

 

Krystal stopped chewing and looked at her dad. 

 

"Seriously, I cant," 

 

"Tell me why?" 

 

"Because she has a girlfriend to spend time with, Daddy," 

 

"Oh that's a lame excuse for me," 

 

Krystal groaned in frustration again and Yejun held his laugh. 

 

"I miss her, princess. I still remember you've cried the whole night when Amber left to Taiwan. I know, it was hard for you, and it was hard for her too cause you're best friends. Is there something holding you to be close with her again?" this time Yejun's voice soften. 

 

"Or the part where... she's... not straight... well, sorry, but as the matter of the fact Soojung, arent you not comfortable with her uality??" 

 

The accountant quickly shook her head, denying. 

 

"No, not that," 

 

"Then what?" 

 

"I dont know... I'm not sure too," 

 

Just giving a small sigh to his daughter, he replied, "Could possibly this related why you're starting to question about your fiance?" 

 

And Krystal was startled with the sudden expect from her father. 

 

"Daddy... what do you mean?" she furrowed her eyebrows, scrunching her forehead tight. "Its totally a big difference between Amber and Myungsoo,"

 

"And the difference is...?" 

 

 

Once again, the confusion strike the young woman. The older figure released a sigh as he stated, "Dont let the past ruin the thing that remain for 10 years, Soojung. Amber is your past, and Myungsoo is your present and hopefully for the future too. Let me remind you again, our hearts always vacillate, when we're confuse or curious or not confirm of something. But when we learn how to control very well, we own it and its ours, forever," 

 

"And what if my heart isnt changed but actually it is still the same? Its just me who chose the wrong person and waste my time for these 10 years?" 

 

Yejun shrugged his shoulders, 

 

"Only you have the answer for that, my princess. Go search for it," 

 

 

"If its turn out that it was true, I chose the wrong person then what should I do?" 

 

 

Yejun stared a little longer at the flawless face. He tried to read what's in her mind then at the end he acknowledged of something which he never sense before from Krystal. So he replied, sternly, 

 

 

 

"You should do nothing, stay as where you are, and let the time decide," 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

The slim woman playfully slammed the documents on the desk and Krystal immediately looked up, almost screaming due to the loud noise. 

 

"Vic unnie!" 

 

Then Victoria, the vice-manager of the bank smirked as she let out a laugh. "There you are, director Jung, as busy as ant looking for a food to the Queen..." 

 

"Grghhh, stop playing around. I need to complete this data faster, unnie. You're distracting me," accused Krystal, hissing. 

 

Victoria clicked her tongue and sat on the desk chair, watching her junior working hard. "The board decided that we gonna represent them for the charity houses. Saturday early in the morning, dress casually, and  be exact on time. I heard the founder of the houses is a very punctual guy. And Mr. Lee asked me to say hello to you cause you had skipped the main meeting for the first time, Krystal Jung," she told, with her very relaxing tone. 

 

"What?!!! Oh gosh!!! I forgot!!!" Krystal's eyes widen and she suddenly stood up from the chair, looking at her senior with surprise look. "Seriously, I didnt remember we have closed meeting today!" 

 

"Oh yes you did, Krystal. That's why Mr. Lee punished you to be the representative but unluckily for me, been dragged along too. What a pathetic women are we," claimed Victoria, sound almost like the infamous diva. "By the way, as the good senior, I apologized to the board since you're under my section and just assume I'm doing this because, I dont have someone else who is better than you," 

 

 

"Unnie, I'm really-really sorry. I've been stucked in this office since morning, just to make sure the data are fully complete to be presented in next week meeting. I swear I was so damn forgetful," said Krystal, trying to assure the Chinese woman that she's not deliberately absent for the important meeting. "Thank you for helping me," 

 

Slightly waved her hand in the most shadiest way, Victoria replied, "Ah its nothing, maybe next time its gonna be my turn, who knows, right?" 

 

"I wish you're not in my condition, unnie, please," 

 

"Aigoo, dont stress yourself, lady. Look at me, I'm 30 but have you seen any wrinkles? No, right? So be like me, 24 hours calm, relax and go lucky person. Its also a tips to make a life longer you know," she added. "Besides going to spa, well-balanced diet, weekly work-out, aaa.. what else? Yes, positive, being a positive is surely the main thing to look young forever, Krystal. Since you're going to be the woman of the day not so soon but trust me, dont be stressful cause it will stress you," 

 

Krystal frowned at the last part and asked, "Sorry?" 

 

"Aish, nevermind," Victoria cooed then. "Im afraid I'm going to get wrinkle if I talk to you anymore. Oh no, I should stop now," she commented, letting her palms wondered around her white face. In the fastest speed, she quickly stood up. 

 

"Reminder, this Saturday morning at 9, Royal Charity House- Gyeongnam Street and casual clothes. That's all, and thank you," she made a half-bow then left the office without any further mumble words. 

Krystal exhaled a breath, gently massaged her own temple, and focused back on the desk again. 

 

"The perk of being math lover, so here I am, datas datas everywhere everyday..." she grumbled to no one. 

 

***

The group of children around 7-10 years old ran happily when they received a helium baloon from the funny clown. That's when Krystal and Victoria walked into the green garden, checking the atmosphere with hundred of questions in their minds. 

 

"Wait, so far from I knew, this occasion would be attended by VIP's and corporates. What's going on with these kids, clown, and blue... candy stall???" the older woman nagged, while narrowing her lips. 

 

"Dont ask me, unnie. Of course, I know nothing," replied Krystal. 

 

 

"Right, right, I forgot something," Victoria admitted all of sudden, while face-palming herself. "The reason we need to dress casually today because we're going to be a volunteer, Krystal. Today is the charity day, be nice to the kids and that's why Mr. Lee sent us here, he wanted the founder to get interested on our investment thing," 

 

"Whoa, Mr. Lee made the founder sounds richer than Bill Gates or Steve Jobs," Krystal commented. 

 

"Well, he is very rich, Ms. Jung. Our entire director boards counting on him actually," she added and dragged the younger along as they furthered a walk to the main entrance of the house. "He is secretly well-known by public but widely known by the noble. So, my hoobae, let's do the best for the sake of our branch, okay?" she stopped and looked at Krystal in the eye, giving her meaningful smile. 

 

"You know how I work, Vic unnie. Of course, will do," replied Krystal-short. She stared at the entrance neatly, which been decorated by ballons and flower, with the oval shape gate and welcoming greetings. The atmosphere there somehow, a soothe to her. She was heaved by so many files and documents that week, and probably the visit could be a good escape.

Krystal smiled when she saw a small girl eating a pink cotton candy by herself, totally ignored the another kids that surrounded the clown. 

 

"Let's get in and see what's inside. Its exact on 9 already," told Victoria, snapped out the younger woman's thought. "I bet the founder is tall, handsome and gentleman. Just the way I like," added Victoria which made Krystal rolled her eyes annoyingly. 

 

"Hey, there's empty seat, come on, Soojungie," the excitement from her cannot be stop. So, Krystal followed her senior's step without any complain and at the end, the women settled down at the second row of many seats, sitting right oppose the podium. 

 

"Hello gentleman and a very good morning to all of you. Welcome to Royal Charity House, a place for our cute children, and a home for them," the MC guy began the intro speech. "I on behalf of the organizers, send you a big appreciation for today's event. Thank you for giving your precious time, to make the smile of these children alive, for generation by generation," 

Krystal steals a glance on both of her side away. Mostly the guests dressed casually too, just like Victoria and her. She was curious how will the founder look like. 

 

"So, with a great pleasure and honor, I would like to invite, the founder of Royal Charity House, Ms. Amber Liu for some sentence and words. A big applause to this wonderful person, everyone," said the MC and clapped his hand vigorously plus along the white shiny smile of him. 

Krystal's eyes widen as she watched the tomboy walked to the podium while waving her hand to the audience. 

 

"Great, it is not he, but she," mumbled Victoria, clapping. "Now all my dream crushed," 

 

The brunette didnt say anything, instead she shut herself and sank deep in silence. 

 

When the opening ceremony ended, all the guests mostly directed themselves to have the prepared foods, and some of them shake hands to each other, with greetings and pleasure introduction, obviously made people think, they are bunch of businessman and entrepreneurs. 

Only Krystal and Victoria still on their seats. 

 

"Unnie, if I tell you this, dont be too surprise," said Krystal. 

 

"What? What things that you can make me surprise? So far, nothing is surprising from you, honey," replied Victoria in her playful tone. 

 

"The founder was my best friend," claimed Krystal and she stared at the woman, serious. The bright face of Victoria suddenly changed then. 

 

"WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS KRYSTAL JUNG? DONT PLAY WITH ME" the firm question from Victoria almost sound like she's desperate to confirm the information that she just acquired.  

 

"I am serious, unnie. I dont always tell you joke, right? As matter of the fact, the person who is the founder that Mr. Lee asked us to impress was fortunately happened to be someone I knew very well, Song Qian. She is Amber, my middle-school friend," explained Krystal, while staring straight to the podium, where her old best friend is having a talk with some other guests. 

The Chinese eyed her mate suspiciously up and down. "Nah... I dont think so... How could she be your friend???" 

Krystal exhaled, slightly scoffing. "Want a proof?" 

Victoria vigorously nodded. "If you may," 

 

So, Krystal rise from the seat and walked straight to the podium. She tapped Amber's back, who is busy chatting with the previous MC man and the other mustache guy. The later turned around then and had been greeted by Krystal's typical smile. 

 

"Krys??? You're here???" asked Amber. 

 

"Hello, Ms. Liu, I'm Krystal Jung came to represent Seoul National Bank to you, how you're doing?" the short introduction made Amber chuckled at her friend. She shifted her attention back to the men and excused herself. They bowed to each other politely and walked away then. 

Amber looked at Krystal again. "I thought your branch didnt join in. So what's now?" 

 

"Well, just assume I'm doing what they asked me to do. I had been obligued to volunteer, Amber. No option," 

 

"Herm, that's pretty interesting to know," replied Amber. 

 

Krystal smiled at the boyish. 

 

"Let's meet my vice-manager, llama. She will be glad to know you personally," stated the angelic creature. 

 

"Oh, where she is now?" questioned Amber, stuttered. 

 

Krystal pointed with her index finger, right to the seat where her senior is sitting soundly. 

 

"There, the woman with yellow blouse," 

 

 

***