DUA PULUH LAPAN

I'm a Hapless

(Listening to Thirsty by Girl's Day) 

 

Amber's eyes on her girlfriend, who is eating the plane food soundly on her right side. 

 

"It is good?" 

 

Mina nodded without a sound. "Why just a coffee?" she asked as she take a sip of orange juice. 

 

Amber lifted her small notebook and showed her girlfriend what she's been doing since they had departed the flight. 

"I'm writing a song for you, Mina. Coffee keep me awake," replied the boyish. 

 

Mina smiled a her lover. "You're such a sweet talker, you know that?" 

 

"Owh, know it all perfectly, baby," 

 

"What it say? The undying love? Forever together?" Mina guessed, looking at that handsome face. 

 

Amber put down the pen and looked back at her girlfriend. She caressed Mina's top of head and stated, "No language or description for love, Myoui Mina. I write about how I had fallen for you, how you made my day and how I wish I can live forever to be with you. I will spend my life to make you believe of me that I truly love you only," 

The couple stared at each other's eyes before Mina's eyes went all teary. She placed both her hand at Amber's jaw and gave her a gentle peck on the lips. 

"Love you too, Amber. I dont know what can I do without you," 

 

The tomboy nodded at Mina's statement. She wiped the tears on the pretty face.

 

"Good penguin not always cry," she said and pulled Mina's head on her chest as she hugged the younger woman gently.

 

In that moment also, her mind reminisced the conversation between Mrs. Myoui before they flew back. 

 

Flashback

 

"You should know this earth runs naturally, Liu. You and Mina couldnt make a perfect partner cause you're female. I would be glad if you give me back my daughter. My old daughter who always made us proud," the firm words from the middle aged woman strike through Amber's heart.

She was out of things to say. Mrs. Myoui invited her for a tea time in the house's beautiful garden and she didnt expect the retired lawyer would ask that from her. Amber was totally unprepared for the answer. 

 

"I love Mina, Mrs. Myoui. I promise I will take care of her for the rest of my life," 

 

Mrs. Myoui sipped the drink without even looking at her daughter's lover and she replied, "She dont need a woman to care about her. Only a man can give a woman real happiness, Liu. Tell me how, both of you will have kids on your own? Its impossible," 

 

Again, Amber's heart sinked hearing the woman's firm sentence. 

 

"I do not think you can make Mina happy, because this kind of relationship wont stay long. A selfish woman like you will never understand the value of family since you never have one. You dont have father, mother or even relatives, Liu. Before meeting you, Mina had us, a mother, a father and a brother. But when she chose you, she loss her own father. Have you ever think about this?" 

 

"Mrs. Myoui...I d-didnt---" Amber's hesitance made the woman stopped her.

"Of course you never think. You might say you will do everything for her, Liu. But just one thing, can you give her children? Having children is her dream since she's small," 

 

Amber can only felt the blowing wind on her face on the moment. She looked down on the ground, went speechless totally. 

 

"Dont think she might stay with you forever cause she will not. How far she runs from her own family, she will come back. But if you, once she run away, I cant guarantee she will go back to you. You're wasting your time here, Liu. You're hoping for something that is useless," 

The boyish only can listen to all Mrs. Myoui's words, doesnt know how to interrupt because all she said were true. She cannot deny. 

 

"What I said now maybe you found it cruel and mean but I'm sure you will experience it by yourself one day. Only with blessings, your love will stay long, Liu. But you will never get it from me," added Mrs. Myoui before she rise from the chair, ignored the tomboy and walked away. 

 

Amber looked up at the sky, released a deep breath and try to hold tears from her eyes. Bottom of her heart hurts so much but she realized Mina still need her so she decided she will never give up for the sake of their pure relationship. 

 

 

 

***

 

Jessica put down all her belongings on the floor and threw herself on the bed. She was so tired, filming all day without any rest. But when she's almost asleep, her phone rang loudly. 

"Aish! Who's that stupid to call people this late?! I need my sleep!!!" she screamed and lazily picked up the call. 

 

"Hello?" 

 

"Hello, Sica-unnie," 

 

Jessica slowly get up when she recognized her sister's voice. "Oh Soojungie, what's wrong?" 

 

"Unnie, I cant sleep and I dont know why," Krystal said in the other line. "I drank milk, read history book but it didnt work," 

 

"Yaaah... maybe there's a lot of things in your mind. Share with me then," replied Jessica, yawning. 

 

"Unnie, dont get shock if I tell you this," 

 

"What....?" Jessica's eyes getting sleepy. 

 

 

"I think I dont want to marry Myungsoo and I want to break up with him," 

 

Automatically, the woman's eyes widen and she shouted immediately through the phone, 

 

"What?! Are you out of your mind, Jung Soo Jung??!! Why????" all her sleepiness were replaced by the sudden surprise from Krystal. "You just joking right?" 

 

"No... unnie... I dont know what to do... I'm confused..." 

 

"Krystal, what confuse? Did he cheats on you?? Let me give him a lesson then," 

 

"He's not cheating but I'm lost. When I'm with him, I feel nothing but when I'm with this person, I feel it, I feel something. I dont know, unnie. If I further marriage, I think I'm gonna hurt Myungsoo, and myself too..." 

 

Jessica started to expect something from Krystal's confession but she waited until the younger express everything out. 

 

"What's the use of 10 years relationship if all he know just his own businees. He said he work hard for me, he loves me unconditionally but I feel lifeless, like I dont have him as my special guy. I... I think I like someone else, not Myungsoo, unnie..." 

 

"Its Amber, right? finally she interrupted spontaneously. 

There's no answer but only silence involved between them. 

 

"Unnie..." 

 

"Soojung, are you sure? I know she had feeling on you before, but did you look carefully? Maybe you just like her because she's nice. Dont ruin what you have now for the things that you're not sure of. If you come between Amber and Mina, all of you will get hurt. Especially you, baby," 

 

"I know... Mina is lucky to have Amber but me, I have Myungsoo who didnt bother what I do, what I'm feeling. Unnie, if you in my place, what will you do?" 

 

 

Jessica sighed deeply and replied, "That's hard, cause I dont know the answer," 

 

"Can I wish to have Amber even though I cant, unnie?" Krystal's voice cracked and Jessica knew her sister is trying not to cry. 

 

"Soojungie... I dont know too," Jessica said in her sad tone. "Just a wish, maybe its fine. Right now, you're not in good condition to decide anything yet. Dont be too rush, just confront Myungsoo and try to talk to him, will you? Dont be sad, Krystal. Every problem must be solution. Have you talk with Daddy?" 

 

"No, I didnt dare to say directly to him that I dont want to marry Myungsoo. I'm afraid he will be disappointed, unnie," 

 

"Okay, calm yourself first. Honestly, I think you just confuse, not more than that. When you are sure, I believe, you will get to know who is the best for you," 

 

"Okay..." 

 

"And Soojung," 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Amber still your friend. You deserve her as a friend, Soojungie. Cherish everything you have for now so that you will not regret," 

 

"Unnie, do you think she still love me?" 

 

"Soojungie..." 

 

"Come on unnie, she's your best friend too. She must tell you something about me before, right?" 

 

"Aish, I dont know," Jessica try to avoid the question but Krystal still whinning and begging her so with heavy heart she exposed, "She told me that she loves Mina so much but still, there's empty side in her heart that she left for someone who she had loved long time ago. That Amber might think I'm clueless but of course I know who it is," 

 

"Eh really?? Who is it then unnie???" 

 

 

"Obviously its you, Soojung," 

 

When silence embraced them again, Jessica exhaled her breath out and muttered, "If you guys are destined together, she will go for you and ask you to be her partner, Soojungie. But now, she's happy with Mina. Isnt you should be happy too seeing the person you love happy?" 

 

"Yeah... of course," that was a short answer from Krystal and Jessica awared she's not really mean it. 

 

 

"Come on, baby Jung. You can handle all of these," 

 

 

"Alright, unnie. You must be exhausted," 

 

"I'm dying actually," 

 

Then she heard Krysal's laugh and she was eased because of that. 

 

"Ok thanks unnie for listening me. Let's meet for dinner tomorrow?" 

 

"Erm... I'm free for lunch, Soojungie. What if we just eat together at noon? You come over to my workplace," 

 

"Well, okay. I will be there," 

 

"Aaaa finally... I want to sleep peacefully cause tomorrow early in the morning I have photoshoot. You go for bed too, okay? Dont think too much and remember, I love you more than Myungsoo or Amber did," 

 

"Hahaha, love you too, unnie. Good night," 

 

"Good night Soojungie, bye..." 

 

And she fall asleep faster that she can remember with the cellphone still in her grip. The tired Jessica snored loudly a few minutes later, totally out into her dreamland. 

 

 

***