EMPAT PULUH DUA

I'm a Hapless

The news strikes her just the same when she knew Helmoni was dead. Amber, the real one who is experiencing the difficulties, several times ensuring she’s made the best decision.

Save her wife no matter what happen, it is the priority.

 

“Unnie, here,” Chaeyoung passed a cup of Americano to her as she slowly placing her on the steel bench. “You must get some sleep,”

Weakly taking the drink, Amber replied, “I’m fine Chaeyoung,”

 

“Who is fine if knowing the wife is fighting for her life in there?” the sudden question made Amber’s lips sealed shut.

 

“You’re stronger than what you think , Amber unnie. You, the person who I know very well is always considerate and rational. Saving her over the baby isn’t cruel, because you have no choice anymore. Unnie, you have made the best decision,”

Chaeyoung’s words came in easy into her mind.

 

Amber, her voice cracked as she furthered,
“What if… she can’t make it? I will be left alone again, Chaeyoung. My parents, Helmoni and Uncle Choi Fan, they were all gone. What if… Krystal, the one I love the most now will go too? How would I live without her?”

 

“Unnie…” called Chaeyoung. “Everyone is here for you, unnie. You have me, and all the people you know, we are all for you,”

Chaeyoung tried hard not to cry.

“I know its hurts you and frankly its hurts me too, unnie. Please be strong for her, she really need you by her side,”

 

Wiping the tears streaming down on her cheeks, Amber stared at her childhood friend.

“I should know from the beginning. Krystal should tell me first before come to agree with this special program thing. It cost not only the baby’s life but hers,”

 

“She did that because of her undying love, unnie. She loves you more than anything,”

 

Amber held her sobs, “But that doesn’t mean she should sacrifice herself like this, Chaeyoung. She knows, I will suffer more and I’m willingly die rather than separating with her. She doesn’t have right to end her own life, just to make me happy, you know,”

“I don’t care about anything else. I just want my Krystal back to me,”

 

Reaching the top of limit enduring the pain, the older can’t hold on anymore as she let out a hard cry.

 

“I want my Krystal back, Chaeyoung. I really want her…”

 

Bringing her small hands toward Amber’s back as she rubbed it up and down, the younger girl only able to sit there and cried along, knowing nothing else she could say to sooth Amber.

 

“Don’t be like this, unnie. Krystal must be sad if she sees you right now…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The surgery took almost 6 hours in the intensive care unit. All Krystal’s family members and her friends are faithfully there in the waiting room. And when the door is opened, Amber was the first one to rush over to the medic.

 

“They survived, Amber,” Dr. Park informed, taking off the blue mask from his face.

 

“They, doctor?”

 

“Yes, Krystal and a healthy baby girl,”

 

For the first time for that day, a small smile curved from the boyish’s. She exchanged glances with Mr. Jung, her father in law then.

“She safe, Krystal and my baby are safe. You hear it Uncle?”

 

The old man smiled along, tapping Amber’s shoulder. “Well, yeah I’ve heard that, kid. Now I’m a grandpa,”

 

Kris and Myungsoo went to congratulate Amber and were joined along by the others not a moment after.

 

“Well done, buddy. Tough luck, you’re going to take the role as the father start from now, remember that,” told Myungsoo.

 

“Yeah, tough luck, dude. Oh man, I can’t wait to see the baby!” Kris added, excited as he always.

 

“Thanks guys. Thanks for being here,”

 

Dr. Park smiled a little.

“Very well, the nurse will guide you to greet the new baby and congratulations, Amber”

 

The tomboy’s smile faded as she sensed the strange tone from the doctor.

 

“Dr. Park?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“How’s my wife?”

 

He stay as calm as he could, as all the eyes are focusing directly on him.

 

“She lost too many blood but however she managed to pass the critical period, Amber. It will be a miracle, for me and for all of you if your wife able to survive longer than our time prediction,”

 

“And your prediction is…” Amber slowly asked.

 

 

“A week. Or not more than a week, Amber. I’m really sorry,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She pushed the door and stepped into the ward room then was welcomed by her wife’s sweet smile who is hugging close the new born in her chest.

 

“Hey baby girl, look who came to us,” Krystal said happily. The baby stopped crying as Amber approached the hospital bed and sat herself on the edge of it.

 

“See, she likes you already,” the new mother can’t wipe off the smile from her face as she stared at her lover.

 

In her silent mode, Amber turned her body around and backing her wife. She didn’t want Krystal to see her gloomy face on that moment.

She wished what Dr. Park told her is not true either.

 

“Amber?”

 

No response or answer.

 

Krystal called her name once again.

 

 

 

 

“You’re bad, Krystal. You are so bad,” Amber finally speaks out.

 

“You break our promise. You want to leave me, ”

Knowing why her hubby muttered those words to her, Krystal’s tears began to emerge. She controlled herself from crying out loud.

 

“Amber…”

 

When the handsome girl shifted her body and stared at Krystal, her sad eyes which with full of tears caught the pretty woman’s sight.

 

“How could you do this to me, Krys. You said, we’ll live together,” Amber avoided her wife’s stare, crying.

“How could you hurt me this way…?”

 

 

“Amber, look at me please,” Krystal asked, gently reached for Amber’s face and made the latter tilted up. “I love you, Amber. And this child is the symbol of my love for you,”

 

“But all I want is you, Krys, not only her…”

 

“I know. Are you happy to claim her as yours too?”

 

Amber just nod.

 

“Promise you will love her as same as you love me?”

 

She nodded but then vigorously shook her head in denial. “No, I can’t do that. My love only for you,”

 

Krystal smiled, letting the heavy tears on her cheeks flows down. She touched their foreheads together then. Eyes staring straight into Amber’s,

 

“Hey Amber,”

 

She just closed her eyes, still crying silently.

And when she’s opened it, Krystal whispered,

 

 

 

 

“Friends with me?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

The figure stood right on the spot. Looking at the tombstone, shutting off her eyes, as the image of the pretty woman flashes in her clear sight. The smiles that always welcomed her now is gone.

Amber stared at the grave.

 

"Hey Krystal, I came early today because I missed you so bad," she said to the thin air. "You're right, warm milk before bed can make me sleep in peace,"

"Our baby girl is now a lady, you know. She got a very handsome boyfriend in the collegue. I guess, she inherits your attractiveness, her beauty is the same like you,"

"As pretty as the fifteen years old Krystal who made my heart fluttered and skipped a beat for no reason,"the old Amber smiled to herself, had time recalled some good days she spents with her late wife.

 

"Amber-sshi, its getting cold here. Let's get into the car before the snow getting heavy," Hayoung, her loyal assistant greeted from the back.

The woman's hair is bright grey, just like her but she can't deny, Hayoung still look beautiful although she's aging and got wrinkles at her forehead.

 

"Oldies like us, catch cold quite fast, isn't it?" Amber asked, slowly take a step with walking stick to support her balance.

She curved only a little smile to her boss.

 

"Hayoung?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"Thank you,"

 

"For what Amber-sshi?"

 

"Through the years, you had become my loyal secretary. I wish I can meet you again there in afterlife and keep saying thank you for your good deeds,"

 

"Most welcome, my friend Amber. So glad to be in the service,"

 

 

Sighing a smile back, Amber nodded before she climbed into the passenger seat. Giving a last glance on Krystal and Helmoni's graves, Amber whispered slowly,

 

 

 

 

"I'm going to meet two of you again. Please wait for a while, I'm sure I will be there soon,"