DUA PULUH LIMA

I'm a Hapless

(Listening to Justin Bieber's 'Believe Acoustic Album') 

 

Amber's POV 

 

I put the cup on the glass table and smiled to this cold-old-man. He sharp stare was like gonna bore a hole of me, totally creepy but I know, I should do this further- for the sake of my 'trainee'. Like how clueless Chaeyoung was, Mr. Son also didnt even recognize who I am. I stopped this nervous kid from revealing my whole name, as I introduced myself just as Liu. 

 

"You're lucky to have a talented daughter like Chaeyoung here, sir," I started to speak. "And I'm glad she chose my label to be in," 

 

 

"Whatever she chose, its not a matter to me. Its a burden," he replied- serious. "I dont know what kind of person of you, influencing young kids to get involve in your dirty business," he added which I found, sort of rude words to say but I just curved a smile instead.  

 

"Correction, sir. My label isnt for business only, we're making music, to entertain. Do you know Elvis Presley?" 

 

He just hummed. 

 

"If I say, he's still alive and he's going to hold a concert here, in Ansan with just 10 dollars for entrance, will you go?" 

 

He scrunched the wrinkled-forehead at my question, 

"What's the relation, Mr. Liu? I know nothing about music," 

 

"Just say, you're going or not, sir?" I sternly asked again. 

 

 

"Well, maybe," 

 

"And why of that?" 

 

"Dont know, he, once a legend. Very famous during my teenager days. Perhaps, I want to see how good of his singing," 

 

I smiled at him. 

 

"Wow, sir, you're just planning to invest your little money to a dirty business," I said.

 

 

"No, I dont think it is dirty because I'm just being appreciative here. Indeed, he was a good singer, right?" he defensed himself. "What's wrong with that, Mr. Liu?" 

 

"You said by yourself, Elvis Presley was a great singer, sir. You're also appreciating his music. So, it goes the same to what I'm doing for your daughter. I saw potential and I am also being appreciative like you, I want to recruit her as a trainee under my label, Mr. Son. Her talents cannot be wasted and I know you always want the best for her, right? Then, here it is, the chance already knocked on your door. Dont regret if one day, she come back as lawyer that you want her to be but turn out as a worst lawyer and she blame you afterwards. Music is her soul, not honoring the law, sir,"

 

Upon listened to my explanation, I watched his firm face changed substantially. 

 

"Sir, she needs you, as her strength. Although if one day she can retrieve her dreams, its nothing without you," I added again. 

 

I stared at every inches of Mr. Son's face. He tanned skin had loosened, turning even more pale with the wrinkles and those grey hairs. He was a tough yet a strong man, but now- he had no difference than just an old man who is turning weak day by day. I listened to his deep voice then. 

 

"She is a good daughter, Mr. Liu. I dont want to lose my only child," 

 

I smiled at that statement, nodding my head. 

 

"Well, if you can guarantee her bright future, which father dislike that, right?" 

 

"Yes, sure you do, Mr. Son,"

 

"But she's still in school," 

 

"She must attend the school, the practice will be only on the weekend, sir. Don't worry, Chaeyoung will able to handle her schedule very well. Your small bean is all grown up, Mr. Son," upon I mentioned the nickname, his eyebrows furrowed at me. 

 

"Looks you know my daughter quite well," he told. 

 

I hid my smile, "I am, sir. Chaeyoungie is like my own little sister. She loves to hide inside your closet when you were mad at her. She even inherit your perfect skill in drawing," 

 

His furrows getting more tighter, still staring at my face. 

 

"And your wife, every Friday, she would play poker with her stupid friends even though how many times you asked her to stop seeing them. I love the taste of her home-made kimchi. For me, its the best ever and nothing to be compare of," 

 

He rose up from the sofa and asked me directly, "How did you know all of these, Mr. Liu??? You're an outsider," 

 

I chuckled as I looked back at this old guy. I returned the same response, stood up and faced him eye to eye. 

 

"Right now, I'm the outsider, Mr. Son, but ten years ago, I am your closest door. There, " I said and pointed my finger out the window. "I had lived there with the best woman in this world and she is my Helmoni," I can feel the sudden tears and sorrow building up again as I stared at the small-old house, located accurately in front of Mr. Son's hovel. The place where I used to spend almost half of my life before.

The memories.

The hardships of life.

The pain that taught me to be strong.

 

And the only woman who loves me unconditionally.

 

 

My Helmoni.

 

 

I closed my eyes, as her smiling images flashed through. I wish she's resting there peacefully.  

 

 

Mr. Son walked slowly and stood precisely in front of me. He let his rough palms touched my face as he murmured, "Amber... is that you, dear?" 

 

My eyes got teary and I nodded, tried to smile. 

 

"Oh my god... You're here, Amber... you're back," he said. He pulled my upper body closed to him and hugged me tight. "You're back, Amber, you're back..." 

 

 

I returned the embrace as much that I could so he can feel, how much I miss this place. 

 

 

***

(Listening to If You Do Piano Version by GOT7) 

 

Author's POV 

 

"Unnie, here, the tasty red-bean rice," Chaeyoung offered to the boyish as she puts the dish onto her place. "Omma cook special for you," she smiled happliy. 

 

"Thank you, small bean. I will eat a lot," Amber said. "Auntie, thank you for all of these. Actually Krystal and I  just had dinner before," 

 

The double-XL sized woman flinched, insisting Amber's politeness, "Eunyoung-ah, today is the first time I see you again after these years. Just say everything you want to eat, I will make it for you," 

 

"Whoa, its very nice. I miss you home-made kimchi, Auntie. You have the spare portion?" Amber showed the woman her excited face. She shifted to her best friend afterward, "Krys, we can return with Auntie Son's best kimchi. You cant miss out the good taste, highly recommended," she thumbs up-proudly. 

 

"Of course, we have, Amber. You could take all of them," the woman replied and all of them in the table laughed. 

 

"I'm so happy to see both of you again. You know, Amber, the day you left, Chaeyoung played alone and she kept asking me where did you go. She missed you, a lot. But when she found new friends in primary school like, a year later, your presence in her memories faded away maybe," Mrs. Son told the tomboy with her gentle tone. "And your old house, I still keep the key. You want to have a look again, dear?" 

 

All the eyes directed to Amber, waiting for her next sentence. 

 

She slowly munched the rice first before calmly muttered back, looking at Chaeyoung's mother with her eye-smile.

 

 

"Sure, I really want to, Auntie," 

 

 

Krystal glanced at the handsome face beside her as they both stand statically in front of the old house. "Are you sure you want to go in, Amber?" 

The later shifted her head. 

 

"Yeah, I'm sure, Krys," replied Amber as she caressed the door knob with her palms before twisted it gently. She stepped in, followed by the other woman afterward. 

 

"Oh, you're home, Amber. How was the day in school?" 

 

Amber stopped accurately at the living room. Reenacted a few memories which stored in her mind and the sudden flashback played through her view. The soft voice of her late guardian echoed and she can't hold her tears no more, remembering, the kind woman was actually gone. 

 

"Don't cry, Amber. If they dont want to be your friend, I am always here for you. Helmoni will not going anywhere okay?" 

 

"Ah-ohh~, my llama is back... Come here, sweetheart, put down your bag and sit with me," she reminisced the day where she was tired and reached home with a weak body. Helmoni, as usual, sitting on her favorite wooden chair while listening to the old stereo, waiting for her everyday to get home. 

 

Amber approached the wooden chair and kneeled down to the floor. She imagined Helmoni is still there, her short hair lovingly with the calm smile. The boyish let her eyes closed, as she touched the edge of the stuff's arm. 

 

Helmoni, whatever I do now, I live it because of you. Even though, you're not here with me, and I travelled very far away from our house but still, right now, I'm at your favorite spot as always, remembering every words you had said, every advise that soothed me much and every inch of your smile that will never go away from my mind. Rest well there, Helmoni...

 

 

"Amber..." Krystal called for her friend as she touched the later's right shoulder.

 

The handsome face wiped her tears at the cheek and released a deep breath. She looked up to see the beautiful Krystal. 

"This chair was Helmoni's favorite. She listened to the old-stereo, 60's channel, while waiting for me to reach home," she told while raising her body from the kneeling-state. "Accompanied with a cup of tea and the compilation of classic songs, she said, she felt infinite. No pain and nothing at all," 

 

Krystal just stared at Amber's face as the taller figure continued again. 

 

"Her presence in my life was a gift, and even though she's gone forever from me but here she is, still alive in my heart," 

 

Then, Amber walked to the familiar room, which belonged to Helmoni long time ago and again, the brunette followed her close. 

 

She slowly placed her on the bed which produced a cracking sound. The room and the arrangement still remain the same like what it look 10 years ago. 

 

"Mrs. Son is very wise. She take care of this house so well though. The frames there, the closet, the vase and even Helmoni's vanity table still at the same place. Neat and tidy, that's how she wanted always," said Amber. Krystal looked around the space for a moment before she took a spot beside her best friend. 

The long-hair stared at the other face as she opened , 

"I'm sorry, Amber. I was not there with you, when Helmoni's gone. How stupid I was, only God knows," 

 

Amber replied back calmly, "No, dont apologize, Krys. We were both very young back then. To be honest, I'd felt like a total fool too, cause I dont know how to control my emotions, and also, my actions. Helmoni was my first encounter, Krys. And now, the people currently in my life are the third encounter and I think I need to be glad because these encounters reminded me of Helmoni too, about what she had taught, to be strong and grateful with everything I have," she rose up from the mattress and stepped closer to the windows, staring at the beautiful view of the night-sky, trying to recall some good memories between her and Madam Goo. The question from her friend brought her back to the room. 

 

"Who is the second encounter then??? You said Helmoni was the first, and the current people are the third, so the who is between those encounters, Amber???" 

 

She turned around and looked at her friend straight to the eyes. Without any hesitance, Amber directly replied, 

 

 

 

"You, Krystal. It was you, the beautiful encounter after my Helmoni," 

 

 

And that answer made Krystal went out speechless. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________

Ready for some sweet moment ?^^