DUA PULUH TIGA

I'm a Hapless

Amber's POV 

 

I wiped the glass while thinking deeply, reenacted the moment that happened this early morning. Mr. Akira, Mina's father made a surprise visit to our house. Surprisingly for me too, he was less fierce and cold. I still remember, the day he threw her own daughter away, because he dislikes us for being together, his voice was firm and serious. Not even a little sounds gentle to me, all he said was, Mina had chose the wrong path and she deserves a place in Hell. That was totally hurt for her, and of course I felt the same since I witnessed how hard-hearted Mr. Akira was for breaking the bond between Mina and her own family. I was guilty, so that's why I took her with me. Everywhere I go, Mina would be by my side, always. We had been hurt so many times and that's how we learn to live. 

Today, I dont know, he was so different. The sad eyes was like wanted to tell me about something, but it cant be express verbally. Mina and I, expected, there would be a long lecture from him, or even worst than that, but it turns out otherwise. Mr. Akira spent half of the day with us, for lunch and tea-time and kept apologizing for his past mistakes. He admitted he was wrong for judging me, and he regrets anything he had done to her own daughter. I am touched to see that old man asked for apologies to my girlfriend where at the end they cried and hugged each other. It is funny why I envied my own lover while watching that father and daughter reunion moment. Maybe, I dont have one and that's why I feeling that way. 

 

"Mina," I called her. She stopped cutting the vegetables and looked at me. 

I took the slice of the carrot and put it into my mouth, munched and furthered, "How is like to have a father?" 

 

She stared at me for a moment then. 

 

"Come on, tell me. I dont mind actually. Just curious about it since I'd never meet my own," I said-flat. 

 

"Father to me, is the main person in our family. He always want the best for me, and for my brother. When I am still a kid, he used to carry me on his broad shoulders and swing me around to make me laugh happily. He might be a strict person but we all know inside of him, there's a soft side which he rarely shows. I knew he loves me but because of egoist, he forgot everything. Hurm... you dont need to feel sad because you dont have a father, Amber. You have me, okay?" said Mina with her soft voice. I chuckled at her. 

 

"No I'm not sad but just curious," 

 

"Dont lie, Amber. I know you well," 

 

"Alright you win," I surrendered at the end, half-laughing. "But I sensed something wrong too," I said, slowly enveloping my arms around her shoulders. 

 

"What is wrong with him?" 

 

"I thought you know him better, shouldnt you?" 

 

She hugged back my arms, "Sometimes I can be really senseless, Amber so just tell me," 

 

"The things is I'm not sure either, Mina. Doesnt he look... sad? And one more, his figure is skinnier than the last day I've met him before. Did your brother tell you something?" Mina shook her head then. 

"Amber, you made me feel not ease suddenly. Is that mean my father just pretending to be nice to us???" 

 

I scoffed then,

"Ohfff, baby, its not what I mean..."I murmured under my breath as I released her from my arms. I spinned her body around so that we faced each other straight into the eyes. I placed my forehead with hers, slowly whispered and closed my eyes, 

 

 

"Just forget it," 

 

"Please remember, I am totally in love with you, Myoui Mina. I wont go anywhere and will always be here for you. Dont worry anymore, I am sure your father is fine. Its just me with too much thoughts, maybe..." 

 

She hummed and gently pressed her lips on mine. I went along with the kiss until the 'ting' sound from the microwave startled both us. 

She laughed and playfully pushed me away. 

 

 

"I hate intruder," I commented, pouted to her. And she stucked her tongue at me. 

 

 

 

 

*** 

 

Author's POV (Listening to I Cant by Rachawadee) 

 

She harshly kicked the wheel of her stranded car, with lots of cuss and insults and she was shouted to no one. 

 

"Okay-okay! This is surely the right time for you to do this! Good car anyway!" Krystal complained while examining the wheel again. "Go to hell with the mighty Range Rover! Buying you is the best mistake I've made so far hssshhhhhh!!!" 

Krystal hissed again and again as she looked at flat tire. She grabbed the cellphone from the handbag and tried to reach for her fiance. When the call directed to the message box twice, she screamed out to the air, "I hate this life!" 

So she tried for her father. 

 

"Daddy! Where are you?" 

 

"Oh, Soojung, I'm at Ilsan now honey," Yejun replied from other side of line. 

 

Oh god... that's too far.... Monologued Krystal as she face-palmed herself. 

 

"Ah.. its fine, just to make sure you take your pills, daddy," she lied. 

 

"Haha, dont worry princess. Once I'm done poker with my old friends, I will cook you a dinner, okay?" 

 

"Hhh.. alright, Daddy..." Krystal weakly muttered while her eyes wildly roamed around the quiet street. 

 

"See you soon, Krystal," 

 

"Yes, Daddy, bye-bye," 

 

Feeling tired already, the brunette decided to sit inside the car, while waiting some cars to pass by. For the next 1 hour, the street was still empty and only the sound of the wind being her company. So she reached for her cellphone again and was closed to press for Jessica's but then the sudden thought appeared, "She is an idol and it is impossible to be able to come and help me around this time..."

 

Repeatedly hits the steering with her forehead, Krystal cant stop complaining how tired she was on that day. She skipped lunch to finish her work, she got scolded by their board director because she accidentally had key in the false data into their system and had to redo it again, which took 5 hours to complete. She almost cried, realizing, her brand new Range Rover is giving her a headache with the sudden malfunction. 

 

Until, her remembers there's still one person who might be able to help her. 

 

No, I will burden her. 

 

But this is urgent! 

 

Aishhhhhhh! I dont have another choice.... 

 

She dialled Amber's phone number then. 

 

 

30 minutes later... 

 

 

Krystal watched the car slowly approaching the spot until it finally stopped, right in front of her Range Rover. She smiled a little as she noticed Amber's figure coming out from the vehicle. 

 

"Why you chose this shortcut, Krys? Very dangerous for a pretty woman like you," said Amber as she stood there handsomely, staring at her best friend with a grin. 

 

"Uggh please Amber, stop with that playful grin of yours, I'm tired as hell you know..." replied Krystal, pretended to be annoyed. She turned around, letting her back faced the later and secretly squealed in her mind, happy to see Amber again. 

 

Amber kneeled and looked at the flat tire as she pressed it and asked, "Do you have the spare part?" 

 

No answer.

 

 

"Krys? I am asking you here, why are you facing that way? Come on, look at me," 

 

She heard to Amber's voice and quickly spinned around. She cussed herself for being carried away with her thoughts, mostly about the boyish. 

 

"O-oh, what you said???" 

 

Amber tapped the wheel, replied, "This, do you have the spare?" 

 

Krystal blinks several times, thinking hard either she has that or not. She walked to the back of the car and checked on. She spoke out loud from there, "Nothing is here, Amber," 

 

It made Amber released a sigh in disappointment. 

 

"Man... then how can I replace the tire," she mumbled. 

 

Krystal stepped back to the previous spot and stood exactly in front of her friend. "So, what's now, Amber? I am so tired and cant wait to go home and sleep," 

 

"I dont know too, Krys..." replied Amber as she looked around. "This place is beautiful but so quiet," she paused and curiously stared at Krystal, 

 

"Are you..... a ghost????" 

 

 

 

 

That made, she earned a strong hit from her old best friend at the right arm. Krystal flashed her famous glare then, "Stupid, I am too tired to play around. Dont mess with me," 

 

Amber laughed as she caressed her sore spot, while groaning in pain too. She clamped her hands together, "God, that was so damn hurts, Krys! I was just joking! And I am sorry okay!" 

 

Krystal gave a hate through her stares and  Amber can't help but smile again and again. 

 

 

"Aigoo.. the princess is now sulking, what I need to do?" 

 

The long-haired woman looked away and crossed her arms. "I am not a kid to be sulky, thank you," 

 

Amber chuckled, "Alright-alright, I wont tell joke anymore," 

 

"You're sulky mode is kind of cute, Krys," 

 

And Krystal threatened with her icy glare again which made Amber raised both of her hands in the air then made a 'zip my mouth' gesture to her. 

 

"Let's call the car-tow and I treat you dinner. Is that okay, Ms. Jung Soo Jung?" asked Amber, looking at her pretty friend. 

 

Krystal was hesitant at first, expecting there must be just two of them but as she saw Amber's charming smile, a bliss came out from inside of her tummy, like a thousand of butterflies beautifully fly around them. 

 

"I think your silent mode just answered 'yes'?" Amber playfully said. 

 

"I want meat. The most expensive meat in Korea because you're very annoying and meat can regain my energy," demand Krystal arrogantly. 

 

"Whoa, that's mean! I came to help you, Ms. Krystal, so shouldnt you the one who need to treat me???" 

 

"No, I dont need to do that," Krystal replied, still in her arrogant mode. "Because you're the stupid and senseless llama, YOU NEED to treat me meat or I will stop loving you," when the last words ran out from her lips, Krystal bite her tongue, regretting for what she just said.

 

Amber was stunned. She wanted to say something but nothing came out as the right reply so she decided to shut off for a while. And when she felt very awkward with the atmosphere, she tried to enlighten herself. 

She stated, "Alright then, Krys. If it is your condition, I will gladly approve. Dont stop loving me, please. We're best friends, remember?" she lifted her pinky finger. 

 

Krystal stared at Amber's handsome face with the running thoughts in her mind. She felt something hard pressing her heart when she heard the sentence, 'we're best friends' from Amber. Dont want to make her best friend stand there waiting for her response any longer, Krystal fake a smile and linked her pinky fingers with Amber's immediately, 

 

"Yes, best friend forever," 

 

 

They stopped by at the Korean cuisine restaurant, deciding on the first meal after Amber parked her car. The taller figure guided her best friend crossed the busy streets, undeliberately hold her by hands. 

Krystal's heart skipped a beat as she stared at Amber's right side of her face. She can clearly see the sharp jaw and it was one of the best view she ever saw in her entire life. Her fiance, Myungsoo which famous with his dimple and also a good looking guy is very attractive, but for the young woman, she wondered why on that moment, Amber looked more charming and handsome in her eyes.  

 

"I reserved for VIP's since it will be more comfortable. Is that okay?" asked Amber, while sitting slowly on the wooden mat. 

Krystal just stared at her friend blankly. 

 

"Krys?" 

 

"Amber... I'm wearing a short-skirt... so..." she told, bitting her lips. 

 

"O-oh," the boyish muttered, "Its fine, Krys. Just use my jacket," she offered while pulling off the leather denim jacket from her body. She stood up and tied the sleeve around Krystal's small waist then. 

The sudden closure made Krystal held her breath, tensed. 

 

"T-thank you," she said, hiding her nervous inside. 

 

The short-hair woman made an 'ok' sign, smilling wide. She reached for the menu and read through the list, ignoring the other who is glancing at her secretly. 

 

"Since it is raining,I'll have tteokguk (rice cake soup) and... budae jigae (army base stew). What about you...?" said Amber then looked at her best friend. 

 

"I dont have any idea... Actually I'm craving for meat," replied Krystal as she glanced at the menu while flipping page by page. 

Waiting for almost more than 5 minutes, Amber sighed. She shifted her body closer. "I'm starving and you're still dont know what to eat so come here, let me help you," she said and took the pamphlet from Krystal. 

 

"What about dak galbi (beef ribs)? Or... samgyeopsal (unseasoned pork belly)? I heard this restaurant serve the best for these two," Amber tried to convince. 

 

Krystal pouted, thinking, "Urm... sounds tasty," 

 

"Of course," replied Amber again. "Let's just order these, and try to ask for their special sikhye (sweet rice beverage). Is that okay for you?" 

 

"Japchae (boiled potato noodles) too, can we? I am super duper hungry," added Krystal.

 

"Finally! Now you feel how hungry I am!"

 

"Yeah, your tone explained that, Amber,"

 

"Good things you knew," retorted the boyish while putting a fake serious expression. "I can even feel a hole inside my tummy, Krys,"

The long-haired girl gave a small smile, looking at the handsome face.

 

"Aigoo, you look even more stupid with that starving face," she teased.  

 

"And you are hungry too, right? So, you're stupid like me then," Amber replied in her flat tone. 

 

"Oh, I am not. I am pretty and cute in everything I do. Indeed, I am smarter than you," said Krystal, playfully flipped her long-hair, acting like she is the diva. 

 

"Hello, princess. I am not that stupid Amber anymore, okay? Your messy and idiot Amber already dead," she came to her own defense but unfortunately with the unsuitable sentence. "I am not the naive or that poor 15 years old Amber, now I am the brand new Amber. Understand?" 

 

Krystal was strucked with the reply. She thought the tomboy was misunderstood with her joke. So, the silence enveloped them for a while.  

 

Until, Amber realized what she just said.

 

 

 

"Urm, sorry Krys. It slips out suddenly," Amber apologized, stared down at the floor. "Sometimes, I need to fight, erasing all of my past memories in order to further in future. You know, it was hard for me at first but when time passed, everything seems fine and better than before. I was sad and lonely but now, trying to live a happy life even though how hard it is, becoming my aim. I am sorry if you thinks I've just being firm to you and I didnt really mean for what I just said,"

 

The pretty woman stared at Amber, as she assumed maybe she should stop thinking about their past too. Now, her old best friend is back at her, after the long 10 years separated them from each other. She had made a mistake, and she was sure that's also one of Amber's main sorrow. 

The feelings. 

She thinks, she should try to push it away as hard as she can.  

Like what Amber had done, to live further, after being hurt. 

So, she will try to forget what she is feeling for her own friend. 

 

Krystal replied calmly then, 

 

"Its okay, Amber. I am sorry for not understanding you too. You're right, you're not that poor kid anymore. You're Amber Liu, the best successor and also, the best friend of mine," she claimed with a pure smile. 

"Now, let's order the food before the hole digs deeper in your tummy," she added and made Amber chuckled. 

 

"Thank you, Krystal. It was so nice of you,"  

 

They exchanged a deep yet meaningful stares, which made the sudden silence before flew away easily. 

 

"Oh sure, welcome to you too," stated Krystal. "So, ready to eat a lot, handsome llama?" 

 

Amber's expression light up, "Yes mam, I am all ready," 

 

Krystal lifted her right hand for a high five which her friend took gladly. 

 

"Good," she claimed and thumbs up.