SEMBILAN BELAS

I'm a Hapless

(Listening to I Cant Lose by Union Sky)

 

Amber walked out from her room, buttoning her shirt as she noticed there's a note on the dining table. She reached for the paper and read it,

 

I'm sorry because I must leave early. Eat this before you go for work, okay? Take care, Dino. Love you :p

 

It was a simple word from her lovely girlfriend. Amber smiled and made herself settled in front of the food that had been prepared by Mina before.

That's her everyday routine, before office time, breakfast first but seldomly Mina would be joining in. The younger woman always leaves early because she's the main person in the ballet academy, so work isnt go really easy for her sometimes. Amber, being an understanding company, was used to it. She's fine having breakfast, lunch and dinner alone. If she is so bored and lonely, she will just ask her best friend Jessica and eat together at the house. But the superstar also busy with her packed schedule as an idol lately and even that's still okay for the tomboy.

She is fine on her own.

 

"There you go, the CEO arrived with a calm face as usual, always the same and never change," Henry, one of the music producer teased as she walked into the studio, wearing just a pair of denim outfits, which make she looks like some common person, not Amber Liu, the only heir of Liu's  Legacy or Amber.J Liu, the main producer of Cordel Entertainment. The white-skin guy high five with the leader as he added again,

 

"Still, you're the coolest person for me, Ber!"

 

Amber just laughed, "Stop it, Snoopy. We have lots of work to be done today. Enough playing around," replied her as her eyes glued on the huge screen. "So how? There's any change or addition to the track we've been working on? I wonder if Jessica could fit into this kind of genre cause she never try it before,"

 

Henry's serious mode on then.

 

"Singing a ballad song is easy for Jessica, Ber. She can dance and sing very well, so I dont think it will become a stonewall between 'this new concept' and 'Jessica Jung. All perfect, man. To be honest I really love the song you'd composed. Lyrics is so sad but when she sings and put along with the emotion, I was drawn to it, really,"

 

"Well, thank you for the compliment, Mr. Lau," told Amber, eyes still on the device. She's out for a while, thinking of something before she turned to look at the short-man again.

 

"I will say okay on this but I still wanna see how the others doing. Studio recording, checked and now its time for Jessica to film a music video. Henry, you should do something with the bonus track, Is that okay man?"

 

He thumbs up to the later and replied, "All set up, Ber,"

 

"Good," said Amber.

 

Two of them immersed with their full concentration in music-making for almost 2 hours before the boss lady decided to make a round on the filming set. That's when Henry tried to ask Amber to join him other collegues for dinner.

 

"O-oh... Sounds tempting but I'd already promise Mina that I will be home and she will cook for dinner. Sorry Henry, maybe next time,"

 

"Its okay, boss. I wait for that next time of you," he said with a sarcastic laugh. "Mina must be very lovely because you seems to be almost indoor all the times. Do you fond her that much, huh? I mean I have girlfriend but I still go partying or having fun without her. She's cool with it. But as I look at you, seriously its quite boring to me,"

 

"Are you trying to nosy here, Snoopy?" Amber intruded.

 

"No, I am not. Its just we've working together for almost like what, 2 years, since Jessica's singing debut until we moved here in k-pop sensation country, you're still the mystery person that I know. We never toast, never go to a party and when I asked you, Mina will always be the excuse. Sorry to say Ber, I accidentally knew that your girlfriend not always home or stick around you for 24/7. She's really busy, right? And you, always spend your time, as a loner in that big house. Come on, have a life!"

 

"Oh god..." Amber mumbled, smiling to herself. "Yes, you're telling the truth, Henry. But to the fact that I'm making my girlfriend as an excuse, its wrong. Its just I dont feel to go out. Other than Jessica or Mina, I prefer sleeping or doing nothing at my own house. I am not you, PLAYER," she went with the details as she playfully clicked on Henry's forehead.

 

"Ouwwwwwwww,damn its hurts!!!!" then the happy-go-lucky guy screamed in pain which Amber's smile even more wide. "You could just ruin my handsome face here, buddy,"

 

Then, Amber scoffed while putting her best annoying expression.

 

"You and your snoopy face, handsome, hell yeah," claimed her.

 

Still complaining his pain spot, Henry pouted while saying, "Still you have to enjoy, you know? Like someone said, live the life ahead like you will never grow old,"

 

"And that someone is you," Amber replied quickly. She laughed out loud when Henry hissed in disappointment.

"Stupid senseless boss, the award goes to you Amber," stated him sarcastically. "No point I'm telling you all of these, right? You're so enough with your life now so what more can I do, there's no luck for being the boring Amber Liu then,"

 

The quote made Amber went silence for a while. She shifted at the friend for once, before chuckle to herself, which Henry frowned as reaction.

 

"What do you know about being lucky, Henry? Other than having all the fun in the world? Other than spending time doing the things you want with family and friends? And being together with the girl you love, is that enough to consider lucky?"

 

"Erm... for me... yes..." he replied with not-hundred- percent- sure face.

 

Giving Henry a small smile while tapping his shoulder repeatedly, she told the guy,

 

"Unfortunately for me, it is not, buddy. This life I have now is more than enough. I chose to appreciate everything around me even though I am still having a hope on my past. Something that I wanna have, but its not meant for me and happened to be collided with my present. I am just being myself, that's all,"

 

 

"O-oh..." Henry was dumbfounded for a while, registering the words from the boyish. She smiled and again, tapped the later's shoulder. "Good, now you're understand. Alright, gotta go buddy, see you tomorrow,"

And her figure disappeared from the recording studio. Leaving Henry at his working place. When Amber's shadow was completely gone from his sight, he asked himself,

 

 

"Wait... what?? What did she say??"

 

 

 

***

 

Amber was in her deep sleep when Mina reached home and walked into the master-room, mumbling how tired she was. When she found her lover was laying on the bed, eyes closed, she sighed a smile.

Slowly sit at the bed, she stared at the tomboy's sleeping face.

How I wish I can spend time more with you, Amber. I am not a good girlfriend at all. 

 

She spoke in her mind, smoothly caressed Amber's short hair in the most loving way. Then, the older's forehead scrunched, and her eyes slowly opened, as she sensed Mina's gentle touch.

 

"Hey," greeted Amber.

 

"Hey love," replied Mina- smilling.

 

The tomboy rose up from the bed and faced the pretty girl. She rubbed her heavy eyes for several times before managed to mutter with her deep voice, "Are you hungry? I'd cook meatball and pasta,"

 

"Wow, my Dino finally let her hand touch the pan and even made my favorite dish. Where can I find more someone like you hmm?" she complimented.

 

"Yeah, you're lucky to have me," said Amber.

 

They stared at each other's eye, trying to read what they have in minds but Amber was first to lean in and pecked Mina's lips.

Detecting the sincerity from the tomboy, Mina smiled and threw her arms around Amber, hugging them tight. She listened to the later's heartbeat before looking up at the handsome face again and gave a light kiss too.

 

"You must be so tired, Mina. Go change your clothes, I will prepare the dinner. Lets eat together, okay?" Amber whispered as she hugged Mina's tiny body with hers, rubbing the girl's back gently.

Spent a little more seconds, embracing their bodies together, the younger tighten her hug for last, feeling the warmth of Amber's body which she loves the most.

 

"Alright," she answered and released herself. "Cant wait to know what taste will your pasta be, you dont put any strange ingredients right?"

 

Amber just nod her head- flashing her bright smile.

 

"No weird sauce or special extra flavour?"

 

Again, the tomboy nodded.

 

Mina stand on the floor, making herself part away from Amber who is sitting on the bed. She opened the wardrobe and reached for her white pajama then added, " Okay... wait until my tongue have a taste on it, Amber," she said before turning around, giving the girlfriend her cute-curious face.

 

Amber just let out a chuckle as response.

 

 

 

 

***

 

The newlywed-to-be enrolled the mall and lingered around a few jewelry shops before one of them had to excuse himself, taking a call from his business colleges.

Krystal bought her favorite mango ice-blended and sat on the bench while waiting for her beloved fiance to finish his conversation on the phone.

 

 

"You look like a small kid who lost her parents in mall, Krys," a taller figure appeared from her left side. She stopped enjoying the desert and looked up.

 

Amber's smile captured by her eyes.

 

"Eh? I didnt see you coming!" told Krystal, surprised. "Why are you still standing there like a statue, here, sit beside me," asked her and tapped the empty space on the bench.

The tomboy chuckled before settled herself there, like what her best friend wanted for. "Did you came here by yourself?"

 

The long-haired woman shook her head and slurped the drink until the last drop. "Nope, with Myungsoo. We're searching for our wedding rings. You?"

 

"I'm waiting for Mina. She's at the salon, trying out a new hairstyle," replied Amber. "I tried to get myself some drink but accidentally I found my best friend here, sitting alone, while having her favorite mango ice-blended. You're really look like a lost-kid,Krystal and its so funny," said Amber-half laughing.

 

"Gosh, that joke isnt so hilarious, llama, thanks," the brunette scoffed and rolled her eyes. "I'm not lost okay. That Myungsoo is very busy with his stockholders things and even for our precious moment like this, he still choose that. Right now, waiting for him like this, is sort of frustrating. You knew how much I hate being a coldstone, longing for other people.  I hate wasting time," expressed Krystal as she blew out a sigh.

 

"But the real thing is he loves you, right?" Amber stated calmly. "I guess its quite hard to find a couple who last for almost 10 years. I could just describe both of you as the best relationship goal ever,"

 

Krystal stared at the handsome face as she listened to the tomboy's meaningful words. Nothing process in her mind to response back, she rose up and put the drink container into the nearest garbage can. Then, she looked at Amber again.

 

 

"Yes we are, but one of us not the same like before anymore," told Krystal with a low voice. "Like what you said, 10 years had changed you so it is goes the same to us, Amber. Time possibly determined everything,"

 

Then those two pair of eyes stared at each other, longer that they realized.

 

 

Amber was the first to break the moment as she cleared and get off from the bench too. She glanced at Krystal's beautiful face and furthered, "Hopefully, time will bring everything back to the old place, Krys," and she smiled. "Gotta go now, okay? Mina must finished already I think,"

 

"Alright... see you later, Amber," replied Krystal, plus her timid smile. "Have fun,"

 

Amber nodded and added, "Yes you too, princess,"

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Jessica entered the crowded place with five bodyguards around her, where their job were to ensure the crazy fans wouldnt cross the border or more like to harm the star.

 

"I love you Jessica Jung!!!" one of them shouted with her loudest voice made the diva lady shifted her sight and waved to the crowd, smiling.

 

As she settled down to the seat reserved, the flash from cameras were everywhere, almost making her eyes hurt due to the overlight she received. Since it was her first fan meeting in South Korea, Jessica had been told by her manager to hold on with the chaotic, either she likes  or not, she must to bear with it. After her opening speech, which the group of fans had reacted so warmly, with their supportive messages, finally for the first time, Jessica felt eased. And afterward, the exclusive album signing session began.

 

Until at one particular boy who introduced himself as her real admirer took a seat in front of the hallyu star, Jessica went totally shocked and freak out when he pulled her upper body to him, trying to kiss her, all of sudden. She tried to stay cool but fortunately the staff witnessed the scene and pushed the crazy boy away from her. The situation went even more chaos when the boy kept shouting how much he loves Jessica while being dragged away by the security.

 

"Jessica, you're done, let's go," said the manager. He knew that was new for Jessica so he decided the session need to end early. Not knowing how to reply, she just nodded and left the place immediately, still in her surprise state.

 

Inside the SUV, she directly made a call to the person she need the most on that time.

 

"Amber, today I dont want to continue filming," told Jessica when she reached for the boss on the other line. "Can we meet?"

 

"Jess, what's wrong??? You're not well???" she heard Amber's concern voice then.

 

"No, no... I'm okay. Its just something happen, like, all of sudden and I was freak out from it until now," she told, trying to hold herself from crying. "Please, Amber,"

 

"Alright-alright, tell Derek to drop you over my house," replied Amber as she tried to calm the woman so she furthered, "Dont think about it, Jessica. Its gonna be okay. So calm down and trust me, you'll be fine soon,"

 

She inhaled a deep breath and exhaled in desperate before made a reply back,

 

"Fine, I hope so,"

 

 

***

 

Mina put down the mug of hot chocalate on the small table and sat herself beside Amber. "Take that, Jessica. It will help you to chill a bit,"

 

"Yeah, Mina is right," added Amber as she stared at her business partner with a worry face. "Whatever just happened, dont really think about it okay?"

 

Jessica just nodded weakly. She reached for the mug and sipped the drink while letting the couple watched her silently.

 

Mina whispered to Amber, "Honey, we should let her stay for a night here. I will cook something and you watch her, is that okay?"

 

"Alright, I hope she will be better,"

 

"Of course she will," stated Mina again. After gave Amber a gentle tap on her shoulder, the younger stepped out from the living room and headed towards the kitchen.

 

It took almost a minute for Amber to think what she need to do. Grabbed her cellphone from her inside pocket, Amber called Derek or mostly known as Jessica's manager and assistant.

 

"Derek, cancel all Jessica's schedule for two days. She need a break from now," Amber's command made her friend automatically shifted an eye on her and frowned.

 

"Yeah-yeah, I got that. We will hold a press conference for the incident, of course we will do. Tell the board and the crew I'm going to meet them tomorrow cause some of our plan should be reconsider again. Jessica isnt in a very good state for the public, Derek. Hold on for a while,"

 

"Okay, I'll catch you later then,"

 

Jessica looked at Amber with her curious expression. When she moved to her side, her eyes still glued at the tomboy, wondering why she made the decision.

 

"Just rest well, Jess. There's nothing to worry about," soothed Amber, gently tapped Jessica's hand. "Krystal texted me too, worrying about what just happened. It went on viral and the tabloids kept ringing Derek's phone. I dont want you to stress much so for these two days, you stay at my house for a while. Incase you wonder why, it is because some obsessive fans are camping outside of your apartment already. And, plus the reporters, journalist and paparazzi too," said Amber, explaining the whole situation to her best artist.

 

As she remembered the boy's face, Jessica's fear appeared again. She started to shudder uncontrollably and to Amber's aware, she was sure Jessica is in trauma. Gently pulled Jessica's head towards her broad shoulder, Amber calmed the woman, as she didnt stop shushing her and claiming everything is fine.

 

"Its okay to cry Jess," told Amber. "Go on, I dont mind,"

 

And to the end, Jessica cried hardly. Her only best friend still didnt stop caressing her back while giving her soothing words.

 

"It is hard for me, Amber..." she mumbled between the sobs. "I cant expect it would happen like that suddenly,"

 

"Yeah I know that..." Amber gave a reply. "You didnt expect that, so does the others too, Jessica. We couldnt predict crazy fan like him would dare to do that. Its not your fault, its just happened,"

 

Listened to that, Jessica continuosly cried and sobbed harder which made Amber out of thing to do.

 

 

And then, she realized maybe someone can give a help on that moment. With her free left hand, Amber reached for her cellphone and texted a person who she believed that able to calm Jessica. and also prayed hard that person will be available to come to her penthouse.