EMPAT

I'm a Hapless

Amber POV                        

 

So here I am. Waiting for the president of our class, Krystal Jung in library. Mostly student who passed by will look at me. Well, didn’t you expect the descent student will study in this scary place? Please just say you won't. I failed every subject. Especially Mathematics. I can't find what the use of line and angles in my routine life. It's no fun and absolutely bored. The conclusion is, I hate school so much.

 

"Daydreaming?" I heard a soft yet stern voice from the back. I don’t want to turn around as I'm sure who she is.

 

"Today is my first tutor. So I hope I can feel all your attention to me, Amber," Krystal said, didn’t even bother to look at me. "We will start from your worst grade, Mathematics,"

 

I let out a sigh as I heard what she said. I hate to do the formulas or finding the equation. Since she looks so excited to teach, I surrender.

 

"Now, do you understand?"

 

I nod my head.

 

"Alright, you repeat again what I have explained to you then," Krystal eyed me with her cold stare. Oh here it comes, my brain suddenly went lack of oxygen. Due to the dizziness of listening to this girl explanation I guess.

 

I scratch randomly on the white paper, feeling so much annoying with the numbers. Actually, I didn’t understand what Krystal had explained. I am not interested anyway.

 

"You got it wrong, Amber. You didn’t pay attention, right?" she asked with a flat tone. She closed the books and takes a glance at me. I felt her cold aura embracing the atmosphere, the same time, joined the silence air of the library.

 

"Amber, Mrs. Woo asked me to help you. What I'm doing, just for your own sake. Can you, at once, become serious with these? Don’t you want to grad with flying colors?" as I listened to that speech, I looked away.

 

As if you understand about my life, Krystal.

 

"Don’t you pity your parents? They sent you to school, hoping for you to do something in your life, making them proud of you. Have you even thought of that, Amber?" Krystal's voice turned a little bit gentle and assuring.

 

Once my ears catch the word 'parents', I felt something stabbed deep in my heart. I stared at her.

 

"You know nothing about me. But then, you claimed to change me, become a better person. Have you ever read my life background, president-nim? I'm sure, you won't, because 'parents' never existed in my story," I said sarcastically. I watched how her expression changed. I didn’t intend to continue the lesson with her anymore. I hope Krystal will understand and she will stop hoping at me. I didn’t deserve something 'good' or 'better' in this life. So I stood up from the chair and grabbed my shabby bag.

 

"Thank you for today, President Jung. I gotta go, bye,"

 

 

Author POV

 

"Two bowls seafood ramyun at table 4," the middle-age guy told the young girl who is busy wiping the 4-angled food table. She nodded and walked quickly to the small kitchen-located at the back of the stall. A few minutes later, she came with a tray on her hands.

 

"Two bowls seafood ramyun for you, sir," Amber said with a manner to the customer. She bowed and moved away from the table as the bald guy slightly nodded. The young girl began to wash the dishes which as high as mountain after she finished cleaning the main counter.

 

Not far away from the small street, a pair of eyes had been watching those scenes. She witnessed everything from behind of the tinted windows. She never imagines, a young girl volunteered to do that kind job-  just to earn a money for living.

 

Krystal held her tears as she saw Amber with her baggy clothes walking back and forth. Sometimes wiping the table or serving the customer. She wears quite a big t-shirt for her size and a short trouser- proved enough of Amber's poor condition.

 

Mrs. Woo's words suddenly played in her mind.

 

 "Yes, Krystal. She's a poor orphan. Her father was killed at the border during his duty as an army before Amber was born. But not a month after giving birth to Amber, her mother died due to internal bleeding. Madam Goo- their loyal maid took Amber as her own grandchild, even though she's old already. Since a small kid, Amber worked at the stall, selling food, earning money to pay for her school and their everyday expenses. Amber is a strong kid, she loves Madam Goo so much, besides she's the only person that Amber have- once she opened her eyes to this world. Actually, Amber wasn't really stupid or a slow learner, she's just low-esteem. She always said to me, she wants her school time to get over so soon, so then she can focus at work and cure Madam Goo's sickness. I'm the one who always persuade her to keep going, because for me, she deserves anything that the other kids have. I give my hope on you, Krystal. Who knows, something might be change in your presence…"

 

"Krystal?" her father's voice crashed her deep thoughts.

 

"Yes, daddy,"

 

"What's wrong? Why you ask me to stop here? Is there something you wanna buy, princess?" Yejun asked her youngest child.

 

"Errr, yes. I'm hungry… Can we stop at there?" Krystal answered and pointed outside of the windows. Yejun frowned as he takes a look at the small street then. A lot of people were sitting around a small stall, enjoying their food.

 

"Oh--- but that place looks so---dirty. I'm afraid we'll get stomachache, Krystal," the father told calmly.

 

"But, Daddy," Krystal tried to argue but Yejun stopped her. "Let's go to Uncle Han's? They served the best meat in the world, remember?" he gave Krystal a warm smile.

 

"------Okay," she lowered her voice, feeling so disappointed. Yejun caressed Krystal's head before he started the engine. His car slowly left the street- heading to his best friend's restaurant, ignoring Krystal who still pouting in her seat.

 

 

Amber takes a look at herself in the mirror. She just have a warm bath and wore an old uniform like usual. But today, she feels so fresh and energized to start the day. Not knowing from where, Krystal's face appeared in her mind as she fixing her neck tie.

 

"Why her face suddenly shows up in the morning???" she asked herself. Rapidly shook her head, Amber managed to get ready and walked out from her room. She stepped into the kitchen and greeted her lovely guardian.

 

"You're awake so early today, Amber. Is there something disturbing your sleep last night?" Madam Goo asked as she poured a veggie soup in Amber's food container. The teenager shook her head left and right before she flashed a smile.

 

"No, I slept well last night, Helmoni. It's just I have a nice dream, really nice to make me feel so much better today," Amber replied and drank a glass of water. "What about you? How are you feeling?"

 

Madam Goo caressed Amber's cheeks as she muttered calmly, "Always fine with you here, Amber,"

 

Amber hugged the woman waist tightly then. She's glad because having Madam Goo is more than enough in her life. One thing she hopes for, the woman will recover from her disease then they can live happily a little longer.

 

"Take your bento, dear. Walk safely to school okay?" Amber nodded and grabbed the plastic bag. She kissed Madam Goo a goodbye and walked out through the door.

 

 

 

 

#Kringggg #Kringggg

 

The bell rang loudly, a sign that the recess time just begin. The teachers stop the lessons and the students closed the books.

 

Krystal in the middle of packing her bag before she caught Amber's seat was empty. Her eyes roamed around the class but there's no a silhouette of the boyish girl.

 

"Where is she going?" Krystal asked in her mind. She put her tracksuit in bag the before make her way out from the classroom.

The pretty girl was enjoying her meal at the school canteen before two uniformed girls took a seat not far away from her.

 

"Woahaaa~~  I'm sweating, Youngie! Look at my face!" Minzy stated loud enough for Krystal to hear.

 

"Yeah-yeah. You're sweating, Minzy," Jiyoung replied lazily as she took a bite of red beans bun. She munched happily then. "Yah, you brought a bento today?"

 

"Yes. Omma cook my favorite omurice this morning. I put a lot for your part too!" the short girl said with a high pitch of tone.

 

"Perfect, I'm really hungry, Minzy-ah. Thanks God you brought a bento, or I might be starving in the class after this," Jiyoung spooned the meal into . "There's rare for a modern student like us for this bento-thing, you know. Your mother is very nice and diligent, Minzy,"

 

"Thank youuu~~" the girl become more happy after the praises from Jiyoung. "But I noticed Amber always carry a plastic bag, walking to garden's direction every recess time. I guessed that's bento though," Minzy opened a story. Krystal overheard the conversation and she stopped munching.

 

"Really?"  Jiyoung questioned. Her best friend nodded then.

 

"Hmm, that's why I'd never see her in canteen. I thought Amber have a lazy mother, well you know that she's always wearing that kind of dusty uniform. But bento everyday, seems she's not lazy though," two of them burst into laugh after Jiyoung finished her words.

 

Krystal felt the two deserve a punishment- they've just insulted Amber's mother. She gets up and stood in front of her class-mates.

 

"Having fun people?" she asked them coldly. Jiyoung and Minzy gasped. They didn’t expect Krystal to be there.

 

"You guys should finish the bento very quickly before the omurice become annoyed and turned to taste so bad. Your words just influence it, don’t you know?" Krystal said sarcastically.

 

The duo had nothing to say, instead they frowned in confusion.

 

"Well, for your information, the surroundings actually give an effect to small molecules. Such as water and foods. If we said something good or positive the molecules will flow very nice and lovely, then we have them into our body, and we will get the positive vibes. If not, maybe it will be just like you two. Very annoying and give a negative vibes to the surroundings. I bet your mother might just curse or insult something when she's making your bento because you're just being so bad right now. Aren't you, Minzy and Jiyoung?" hearing the long lecture, both of their mouth widely opened. Krystal left them with a glare and walked away-confidently.

 

 

 

 

Amber slowly opened the food container and grabbed a spoon. She's sitting on the grass of the beautiful garden, far away from the canteen, avoiding some buzzing and noisy sounds if the other pupils see her and the bento. Even though it's just a simple meal, Amber enjoyed it so gratefully. At least she has something to fill her tummy.

 

 

"So this is your secret place," Krystal's voice made the teenager's body jumped a bit. She quickly turned around and watches the girl is walking to her.

 

How the wind blows the beautiful girl's long hair and her angelic face, have made Amber felt like the surrounding suddenly stop. She can't even blink her eyes as she stares at the pretty creature. She barely out of words and her heart started to beat rapidly. Amber found the feeling just very odd. She's never experienced that kind of situation in her life before. And today, on that moment, it is her first time, she got carried away by someone's beauty.

 

"She is a lot more beautiful than the flowers…" Amber monologues.

 

Amber's imagination broken as Krystal waved her hands in front of her face. Her space out finally come to reality.

 

 "Are you listening to me?" Krystal asked- furrowing her brows. She took a seat beside Amber then.

 

"Aaaaa, s-sorry. What did you say?" Amber secretly slapped herself for acting such a fool.

 

"Hmm, never mind," the long-haired girl replied. She let her eyes roamed around the garden. The place is bloomed by a lot of roses and lilies. They creates a good scent, attracted the girl's nose. "I'd never expect our school to have such a beautiful garden. No wonder you chose to be here in every recess," she uttered calmly and looked at her friend, curving a little smile.

 

Amber didn’t speak back instead she just stared at Krystal. It's her first time seeing the girl give her a smile. As she realized she will make Krystal uncomfortable with that look, Amber cleared and tried hard to act usual. "What are you doing here?"

 

"I'm looking for you, Amber. I'd heard from Minzy that you always come here during recess. Well, I'm getting curious why you're here anyway. Umm, is that your bento? Who made it?"

 

Amber sipped the soup with the spoon then slowly swallowed it. "It's veggie soup, Helmoni cook for me every day. I don’t have money to buy a meal at canteen. I hope you understand, Krystal," Amber said with a low tone at the last part.

 

"Yes, I do," Krystal replied. She put her hand into her left pocket of her school blazer before stick out a wrapped tuna sandwich. She passed it on Amber's hand. "Take it, it's very delicious. I bought it every day because my mom is busy and she didn’t have a time to give me a bento, like you,"

 

Amber eyes landed at the sandwich. "N-no, I-I have bent—" Krystal quickly cut her words. "Just take it, Amber,"

 

 

"T-thanks,"

 

Both of them sank into a peace and silence as Amber enjoying the sandwich while Krystal just sat there- do nothing.

 

"Mrs. Woo told me about you. Everything," Amber stopped munching and titled her head to the right. She waited for Krystal's next words.

 

"I know about your family. About what happen to your parents. You're working everyday after school at the stall, and your Helmoni's condition," the pretty girl stated. "I am sorry, Amber. I didn’t mean to be a nosy but after you left me at library yesterday, I went to Mrs. Woo and asked her about you. Now I know, I'd made a mistake,"

 

Amber frowned then. "What mistake?"

 

Krystal let out a small sigh and continued, " I should ask you to be my friend first, didn’t' I? I'm being rude for just demand you around but I didn’t realize what kind of situation you're in," Amber keep in silence as she heard what her class-mate explained. She munched back slowly.

 

"I didn't deserve to be your friend, Krystal. You're the most clever and brilliant student while I'm just a poor, dumb and boring type of person. I bet you will get annoy of me once you know me better," Amber said, staring the blossom roses in front of them.

 

"Yes, you are. But, that doesn't mean I cannot be your friend, right? Or…did you just reject me to be your friend, Amber. Hmm?" she asked the girl spontaneously.

 

"I didn't say that," Amber responded with a low voice. Krystal's lips curved upwards. She stretched out her hand nicely. "Would you be my friend?"

 

Amber chuckled and took Krystal's hand- shook them properly. "Yes, I want to,"

 

The teenagers exchanged smiles, as their heart filled with warmth of delight and happiness. Where Amber realized she started to grow some weird feelings towards Krystal while the girl became a little more excited to help her pathetic friend.

 

 

"Excuse me, Wun. Do you mind to switch your seat with me?" Krystal said as she stood in front of the fat boy.

 

"What? Our seats?"

 

Krystal nodded. Wun glanced at the boyish beside her.

 

"Are you serious, Krystal?"

 

"Yes, I am. Amber needs my help. So start from now, I will stick with her and help her with the grades. I hope you understand. I'm the president of this class," the girl made a true statement, ignoring all the attentions at her. The boy Wun just nodded his head and stood up. He took Krystal's place then and sat there without any compliments.

 

Amber and Krystal finally placed themselves. Even though there's a lot of eyes were looking at them, Krystal had told the tomboy to be ready with the situation, so Amber didn't take it serious. She sat silently at her place while glancing at the girl beside of her. Krystal opened her textbook and started to focus in it. Amber can't help but stared at her.

 

She's so pretty…

 

The boyish lost in her thoughts, didn't stop admiring her friend's beautiful face. She stopped spacing out as the teacher came into the classroom and began the lessons. A little bit she know, there's possible that she's already fell in love with Krystal, the perfect creature in her life as known as too, the strict class president, topped in every subjects and very charismatic girl with a beautiful charms.

 

Amber already knows who is Krystal and the famous story about her. She had dated a few handsome and popular boys in their school. Her first date is Kai, a tall boy from class 4A. They break up as Krystal knows the boy just playing around with another girl. Next is, the best student Lee Jongsuk. He is the main chess player and had won some of prestigious competition. He's the one who ask for the break up, with a reason he didn’t want any serious relationship yet. And the last is the famous athlete in high jump- Choi Minho. He is the representative of their school in the sport and regularly went abroad for national games. Krystal found him very attractive but she broke the relationship when she knows the boy had a lot of fans and secret admirers. So, for almost a year, Krystal is still single. She rejected all the confessions from some boys. She always in her study world. Completely avoid to social with other students. For girls, she's such a because of her attitude, but for boys, she's an angel as they attracted to her beauty.

 

And Amber already knows, she shared one similarity with the boys.  

All of students from class 3A gathered in the court, listening to their P.E teacher, Ms. Kang. Amber and Krystal stood at back.

 

"Alright, boys, like usual you're free to play soccer at the school field. And the girls, let's have some basket time," the tall-fit woman commanded. "Come on, move quickly please!" and the students obeyed without any comments.

 

"Girls, row up in front of me,"

 

"Now, there's ball for each person. Go and take it for yourself,"

 

"Good. I want all of you focus at the net properly. Empty your mind. And relax,"

 

"Grip the ball and lift it a bit. Use your little strength, bent your knees a little and try to shoot. Aim to score it, understand?"

 

"Yes, Ms. Kang!" the girls shouted loudly.

 

"Start with you. Jiyoung. Do what I said before," she asked the girl who stood at the front of the row. Jiyoung exhaled before she made a shoot. The girls went 'ohhh" as her ball was so close to get into the net. Ms.Kang chuckled. "That's a good try, Jiyoung. Walk back and wait for your turn again, okay?"

 

"Yes, Ms.Kang," Jiyoung replied and moved to the back.

 

There are almost all of the girls failed to shoot and the same goes to Krystal. She even worst. The ball she shot fly across the court and fell at the audience seats. The girls laughed at her crazily. She walked back with a long pout. Good enough to make Amber laughed at her too.

 

"Nice try, Krystal. Control your strength next time, okay?" Ms. Kang advised with a smile then. "And the last is you, Amber. Come on, focus and look at the net,"

 

Amber gripped the ball tightly. She stepped further and gently makes a shoot. The ball perfectly entered the net in a speed of light. All of them were stunned at the scene. There's a silence for a moment before Ms. Kang clapped her hands. She stared at the tomboy, feeling unbelievable. "Wow, such a great skill, Ms. Liu!" Amber scratched her head, listened to the praise.

 

"Thank you, Ms. Kang," Amber replied shyly. She's bowed at the woman before walked back.

 

Krystal eyed her new friend secretly. She gave Amber a little tap on her shoulder, signaling that she's also amazed with the teenager. And Amber responded with a nod. And a little smile too.

 

Not far away, there's a boy stood statically, watching the girls give out a try in shooting a ball. As he saw how Amber did it, he suddenly realized that he just attracted to the girl's hidden talent. Slowly walked away to the court's entrance, he said to himself, with an assure feeling,

 

 

"Finally I found a suitable person to replace Kai…"