She was Amongst You

My Fat Me, Myself and L

The doors swung open, revealing two beautiful girls each radiating their own beauty and charm. Heads turned and conversations were stopped. Standing at the door with poise and a professional smile, you walked in arm in arm with Soojung, giving the occasional nod to classmates you had vague impressions of. 

Sungyeol almost choked on his champagne seeing you at his reunion, immediately nudging L and making him drop his canapé. “Bro! I was about to eat that!”

“No, dude, look! That hot model I was looking at, Kwon ~~~~ is here! What the hell, how is she here?! She went to our school?!” Wiping his face from the spilt champagne, Sungyeol gawked at your body. 

“Stop staring, it’s weird.” Smacking Sungyeol’s head and spilling champagne on his face again, L walked away and grabbed another canapé and ate it away from Sungyeol. 

“Hey, do you see Myungsoo anywhere?” whispered Soojung. She had scanned the whole place but couldn’t find the boy anywhere. 

“Nope,” you replied. “But maybe it’s a good thing. I’ll have one less thing to worry about.” Although those were the words that slipped your lips, your heart thought differently. There was still a little tug whenever you heard his name, that small part of you that still held a very feint glimmer of hope. 

You felt someone bump into you and break your rhythm, stopping you in your tracks. “Are you okay? I’m so sorry,” you apologised even though you weren’t at wrong. 

“No no, it’s my fault… I should’ve looked at where I was going. Sorry.” Wearing a catering uniform, the girl held her platter steady as she bowed. But she looked up a little and caught your eye.

You gasped as you recognised that sly grin, but before anything else could happen, she swiftly left your side and brought canapés around the room.

“What, what is it? Did you know that girl?” Soojung asked, tugging onto your arm as she stretched her neck for a better view of that girl.

“Soojung, you know her too…” You turned to your best friend wide-eyed and whispered in an excited voice, “It’s Minah! She’s here!” 

“What, no way! Are you sure?! I mean… Her flight isn’t due till…. I forget but it wasn’t due today, I’m sure of it!” While Soojung was worrying about hurting her reputation because she forgot about Minah’s flight schedule, you were just glad that there was another friend here to support you. 

A wave of calmness and relieve washed over you and your limbs relaxed and showed a more easy-going posture. *I’m so glad that I have my two girls with me right now… Or else, I wouldn’t be able to keep my cool for long.*

 

As the night went on, friends were reunited and memories were shared, feuds were resolved and high school hatred was diffused. Everyone was having a blast at the party. Everyone except you. There wasn’t a second during the party that you could let your guard down, just in case someone would reveal your identity before you were ready. But Soojung snapped you out of your dilemma and pulled you out onto the dance floor. “Come on, ~~~~-ah! Lets go dance!”

A few half-hearted dance moves later, a slow song came on and calmed the hearts of excited adults. As the flurry of girls and boys hurried to find a partner, you just stood in the middle, watching. *Would he come and approach me?* But you smirked at your own naive thoughts. *Maybe if I was the size I was back then, but now… no way.*

“Um… Excuse me, Miss. Would you do me the honour of giving me this dance?”

Your heart skipped a beat as you turned around with bated breath.But your heart dropped when you saw the familiar face of Sungyeol, extending his arm to you as an invitation. Not letting this phase you, you put on your professional smile and placed your hand in his, “No. It’d be my honour,” and let him lead you to the dance floor.

Without giving thought to what your body was doing, you let the music and Sungyeol guide you as you lost yourself in the world of your thoughts. *How could I have thought that it was going to be him? Come on, ~~~~, snap out of it!*

But before you could pull yourself back from reality, someone did it for you as the music switched from an upbeat club song to a slow-tempo song, perfect for the waltz. 

“Alright, time to switch partners!” A voice yelled over an idle mic and everyone scrambled to find a partner. Naturally, the girls all made a beeline to the kingkas, Infinite, and you watched as it brought a chuckle of nostalgia. *Not that much has changed since high school after all.*

 

L had barely made it out of the piranha circle of girls and was still gasping for his precious oxygen when he saw you standing in the middle of the dance floor, chuckling to yourself and seemingly unconcerned whether or not you would have a partner for the next dance.

*Who is she…. I don’t remember her. But then again, the only girl I really remember was….* But seeing you triggered something within L that he himself weren’t even aware. And before he knew it, his feet were moving on their own accord. Taking your hands and placing them over his shoulders, he took you by the waist and slowly started swaying to the music.

Your eyes were wide open, shocked at the intimacy you two were sharing. The thoughts in your mind stopped. Everything was muted. *W-what? How did this happen….This, this wasn’t how I imagined it to be?* But your face softened, seeing L’s face having a pink tinge to it. *So I’m not the only one that’s surprised by this.*

“So um… I should probably introduce myself. I’m Myungsoo, but people call me L.” 

You chuckled. “I know. I mean, you were the kingka of our school.” 

*So she did go to our school…* L racked his brains for your face but no-one had come to mind. “And your name?” He asked.

But all you did was return a smile. “If you don’t remember me, then I must’ve not been important enough.”

 

As the night worn on, L felt an inevitable attraction to you, a bond that felt like was made and was never broken. ‘Who are you?’ was the question that floated not only in L’s mind, but in the minds of everyone. 

“Guys, have you noticed that ~~~~ isn’t here tonight?” Hoya pointed out, as he stretched his neck to better scan the guests in the room. 

Soon, Infinite all did the same but Sungyeol was the first to laugh. “Maybe she couldn’t fit into a dress size in Korea so she couldn’t come.”

While the group roared into laughter, Hoya and Woohyun remained silent, although both for different reasons. Hoya did not join in because it was cruel and against his moral code. But Woohyun didn’t laugh because he knew that they were wrong. *They are still as naive as they were in high school.*

 

The party closed on a good note but L was still left scratching his head. *That girl…* 

As you left the party with Soojung, you turned around one last time and caught L’s eye. You gave him one last genuine smile and left him. 

Unable to take it anymore, L ran after you and grabbed you by the arm. “Who are you? Who are you really? You’ve been on my mind all night!” 

He pressed you against the wall and stared straight at you, leaving you slightly trembling from the sudden confrontation. *His eyes… I’ve never seen them like this before…*

But you were going to be firm in your position and not give it away just like that, so you smirked and nodded your head behind him. “There are two people left in the room behind you that knows who I am, and one of them just happens to be one of your friends. But he won’t tell you. So go check the yearbook. Everyone who came here has signed it, right? And I was no exception.”

L thinned his eyes towards you as you only furthered his frustration, but you flung his arm away and went back to Soojung. “Good luck finding me!” were the last words you threw at him. 

L ran past his friends, giving all a suspicious look before reaching the yearbook that was left at the front of the room for all the guests to sign, acting as a guest book.

Running his fingers through the signatures that were signed underneath the photos, he was quick to realise that your photo was not there. Just as he was about the throw the book to the ground in anger, he saw a glimpse of your old photo and turned the page to it. But to his shock, the photo was signed. 

“Guys! Kwon ~~~~ was here tonight!” L yelled across the room. 

“What?!” The group yelled back collectively, and raced to the book to confirm that the picture indeed was signed. 

But Sungyeol scrunched his brows as he stared hard at the signature. “Where have I seen that before…” He mumbled underneath his breath.

Taking a few steps away from the group and trying to collect his thoughts, the rusty lightbulb finally gave off a flash as he pulled out his phone and looked at his wallpaper. 

“Guys… You’re… not going to believe this.” As Sungyeol held up his phone with trembling hands, Infinite all turned around and stared at a recent photoshoot you did with Vogue which you had graced your signature with. “She was the model all along!” 

Everyone gawked at the picture and compared the signature on Sungyeol’s wallpaper to that of the yearbook and without a doubt, they were identical.

Gawking at the phone, the thought that the old Kwon ~~~~ had become an international supermodel had rendered the boys thoughtless and just staring blankly into space. But L’s sharp eyes caught Woohyun’s unsurprised expression, which even showed a hint of superiority and mockery.

*Woohyun… You knew all along?* Clenching his fists, L let loose his sky-high anger and punched Woohyun in the jaw. “You knew and you never even thought to tell me?!” Woohyun fell to the ground, his hand cupped over his bruised jaw, but he had nothing to say in his defence so he remained silent. 

But L fell on his knees and joined Woohyun on the floor, drained of all sane thoughts. “So she was here… and I completely missed her…”

Your words rang loud and clear in L’s head. “If you don’t remember me, then I must’ve not been important enough.” 

*You were everything to me… and you still are. How can you say that… Come back to me… Panda.*

---------------------------------------

Hello my Cupids ~ :)

Yay~ the moment everyone has been waiting for is finally here!

I felt so pressured writing this chapter because so many people were hoping some really dramatic scene and I’m just like “Oh my gosh, no…. The expectations…” *dead*

BUT I MEAN, I finally churned it out and I hope it didn’t disappoint too much. 

I will be back in November, after my university/college entrance exams are finished. For those in Australia, yes, I’m in my HSC year T^T Is this chapter long enough for you guys? Haha. Maybe a bit too long?

Okay, until next time my Cupids~ <3