Circle of Confession

My Fat Me, Myself and L

 

“Um…. Surprise!” L cried, throwing his arms apart. Your eyes darted from the whole group collectively and focused onto L. Trying to read your eyes, they were unreadable, but L barged right in.

 

“Hey, thanks. We’ll just be coming in now…” And without much words exchanged, you stood aside as Infinite filed in like a train trailing behind its engine, and slowly filled the living room that was empty only just moments before. Dazed and confused, you just silently shut the door and joined the group. 

 

“Erm… So… yeah. Well, this is sufficiently awkward,” Sungyeol whispered in an almost silent atmosphere, earning a hit on the head from the second oldest, Dongwoo, who also shot him a look with his all-telling eyes. 

But Sungyeol’s comment managed to lift the corners of your lips into a smile, which gradually turned into a beautiful, resounding laugh, echoing joy across the house. 

 

“Of course you would say that, Lee Sungyeol.” The laughter continued to echo and soon, Sungyeol joined in too. 

 

“I’m glad you could see the bright side of things now, Kwon ~~~~,” Sungyeol remarked, keeping his bad boy smirk on for a second more before bursting into laughter again. Moments later, all of Infinite -with the exception of Sunggyu who was on a date with Soojung- joined in, creating a beautiful chorus of laughs and fun. 

 

Without forgetting your manners as a hostess, you quickly brought out snacks and drinks for everyone, while L took his chances and scooted ever so slightly closer to you every time you weren’t looking. 

 

Stories were exchanged between the youths, from love stories to inspirational tear-jerkers, all cards were set on the table, plain for you to see the multiple sides to Infinite, as well as their complex side-stories that no-one ever hears. But there was a query that stayed at the back of your mind all this time and deciding to voice it out, you put your arms out and everyone’s small talk hushed down.

 

“So um… Why’re you guys here?” You asked, making eye contact with everyone, sending them signals of question and doubt through the air. As expected, the boys fidgeted about, unwilling to make eye-contact with you and sending SOS signals to L through their pleading eyes. 

 

But surprisingly, it was Hoya, the always quiet Busan boy, that spoke first. “We actually came here to apologise to you, ~~~~-sshi. We were jerks and we acknowledge that. It was actually that us that broke-" 

 

“No, I don’t want to hear you,” you said, as you waved your hand and lowered your head, giving a small smile that no-one could see. “So that’s why you guys are here.”

 

The boys panicked. They didn’t know what to do when girls reacted this way, let alone you who holds a special meaning towards L. They just hoped with their hearts that they didn’t make you cry, or else tonight would be the end of them.

 

But something that was just audible was heard coming from you. “….thank you.” Everyone furrowed their eyebrows. 

“Thank you, for apologising, and actually spending your time here with me on graduation night. I know you guys have much better places to be right now but you chose to be here and I appreciate it. Especially since Soojung just went out to have fun with her boyfriend,” you playfully sighed. Lifting your head with a great big smile, you went over to Sungyeol and gave him an unexpected hug. 

 

“You’re always the honest one. You know, I used to think that you were an obnoxious kingka that just said words to hurt people, but now I realise that it’s just you being you, voicing out your thoughts. Although it’s hurtful sometimes, it’s probably a lot better than those who gossip behind people’s backs.”

 

After what seemed like a century in your warm arms, Sungyeol smiled and gave you a slight squeeze back, unconsciously even squeezing a bit of jealousy from L.

 

Soon, you went around the circle, giving each and everyone a hug as well as a little confession of first impressions and how they’ve changed. It wasn’t long till it was L’s turn. 

 

You kneeled in front of him, taking in a deep breath and slumped your shoulders as you exhaled. Many thoughts pushed and shoved around your mind, trying to be first to be heard, but everything was a blur.

 

Your feelings pushed against your rational thoughts, while your vocabulary of vulgarities tried to topple your manners over. But there was this one little thought, in a small corner of your mind, almost completely obstruct the others. As it edged closer to view, you embraced it and decided that this would be the one out of thousands, that L would get to hear tonight.

 

While L gulped, anticipating the sweet words that would flow from your lips, you smiled and L swore he saw flowers blossoming in the background.

 

“Myungoo-yah,” you started. Even that was enough for him to feel a flutter in his chest. “You’re a wonderful guy and you were my first boyfriend ever. Can’t say you were the best, but you surely made me feel like the happiest girl in the world during that period of time. And next time you get a girlfriend, I hope you treat her like you treated me, but this time, not because of a dare from your friends, but from your heart.” 

 

Landing a finger on where L’s heart would be, your gaze softened and quickly whispered, “Because every girl deserves to be treated right. Just once.”

 

Those words hurt. It hurt L because you didn’t know the real truth because the relationship. That L really did fall for you and that he wanted to stay with you, even if the dare was cancelled. It hurt because L knows you think he’s a jerk. It hurts the most because even though you were right in front of him, your heart and mind was no longer longing for him like it used to. Instead, it was scarred, your heart in need of mending and your mind in need of collecting. And as much as L would like to do it, he knew that you wouldn’t let him in again.

 

As you leaned in for a hug, the single tear that had been building up finally free-fell onto your cheek and rolled its way down, eventually landing on L’s shoulder. 

 

*I’m so sorry Myungsoo-yah… There’s still one thing I haven’t told you yet. Oppa… I’m going to America... tomorrow.*

 

--------------------------

 

Whee~~ I updated~ :D