Unexpected (i)

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Unexpected (i)

 

 

“A blog?” I nibble on my chicken, fluttering my lashes at Aaron. The crowds trudge past our group in the canteen, all rushing to get lunch before their next period.

“Yeah! We can just keep doing everything we do but post our articles online!” Aaron enthusiastically exclaims, determination shimmering in his eyes.

“Don’t we already do a bit that?” I return, tilting my head in confusion. We have a blog for our publishing team where we post a select few of our articles; it’s an initiative Younha decided on since she said most kids are migrating online. I don’t think people read our blog, though. Our blog layout is rather plain and since it's online, the school restricted the postings to just reports on school events.

“We do, but we’re under the school’s name. I want us to be autonomous. Have a name more than just Hyunyoung High’s publishing team. Something like… I don’t know, Nitro Brew?”

Despite the way he’d phrased it, I can tease out the hopefulness in Aaron’s tone as he proposes that name. He’s evidently given some thought into the idea.

“Nitro Brew sounds like a really good name for a magazine,” I earnestly answer. I twiddle my fingers under the table. “But it seems like quite a lot of work.”

“It’s fine! It’s exactly the same as what we do already, isn’t it? In fact, it’s easier because we don’t have to publish a physical copy,” Aaron insists. “It’s not going to be just us, you know. The other members who want to stay can run the blog with us. We’ll publish weekly articles. Cover events like we always do. But we can add in things like, well, featured study spot of the week! Stuff like that.”

I purse my lips, nodding attentively. Hesitantly, I breathe, “Aaron, I don’t think much people care about what we write.”

Stunned, Aaron blinks at me. He frowns and blurts, “Why are you so pessimistic? We’ve gotten so much attention with our campaigns. I’m sure people will support us. Even if they don’t, we can promote our blog. Hold giveaways. Make it so that people want to read us.”

“Sorry,” I wince. “I guess I’m, well, just worried things will go wrong. After all that stuff with Heechul, I don’t want you or anyone else to get into trouble.” I bite my lip. “Especially since you and Younha are the ones that get the most heat whenever things goes wrong.”

Aaron curls his fingers and nods. “We should run this through Younha first.”

A disheartened look crosses his face and guilt stirs in my stomach. I reach out and pat his shoulder, mustering a smile. “Sorry, I really think it’s a good idea, just… you know. If you’re sure about it, I’ll definitely support you.”

Aaron grins back. “I know. If you don’t, I’ll force you to anyway. What can I do without the head of design?”

“I’ve lost my position already, so,” I deadpan.

“That’s why,” Aaron snaps his fingers. “I’m offering you your job back, idiot.”

“Right. Are you going to pay me? If not, I’m not interested.”

Aaron feigns a loud gasp and tugs Jihoon’s sleeve. “This just asked me to pay him for designing articles. Youngjae, I don’t even know you anymore.”

“Designing’s hard work,” Sungjong pipes up from two seats away. “I’d pay you if I could, Youngjae!”

Aaron makes an unamused face, staring in askance at Sungjong who gazes back brightly. I laugh and tap Aaron’s arm smugly.

“Give me a quote and I’ll consider.”

“I’ll pay you one dollar.”

“Screw off.” I flick Aaron and he yelps, pouting at me while I make a face of disgust.

“Hey, if Younha gives us the go sign, who do you think would want to help us?” Aaron thinks to himself and folds his lips. “Honestly, I’m pretty sure that some of the kids are only in the publishing team so they have something to put on their resume. Is that the same on the design side?”

I contemplate for a while. “Um, I think Sungjae and Hayi definitely would want to help. Most of the design team, actually. They’re all really nice. But since it’s getting closer to our finals, they might not be so interested.”

“True. Well, I’ve never talked much to Sungjae, but yeah, Hayi definitely would.” Aaron grins, pleased that he’d found one candidate to help out.

He wriggles his brows. “Especially since you’re with me, she definitely would.”

“What does that mean?” I flutter my lashes.

Aaron rolls his eyes. “She has a thing for you. She’s always such a loud mouth but she’s as quiet as a mouse when she’s with you. It’s obvious.”

“That’s because I’m awkward,” I snivel. “I’m telling you, if you say this in front of her, she’ll punch you.”

“She would. God, thinking of her pinching me is making me cringe. She pinches so hard it’s like my great grandkids would feel it.”

I burst out with laughter. Just as I’m about to reply, I feel a pair of hands fall onto my shoulders. I glance up and my heart flutters upon seeing the familiar face above me.

“Daehyun,” I beam as my hand automatically reaches up to touch Daehyun’s knuckles.

“Hey.” Daehyun glances to my empty bowl and a pleased look lights up his face. He nods to the rest of my friends and I notice belatedly that the table has suddenly gone quiet, all eyes on Daehyun.

“I’ll see you after practice?” Daehyun hums hopefully.

“Mm. Have you eaten?” I smile to Daehyun’s friends behind him, Byunghun and Mark. They cast me a short wave.

Daehyun nods. “I ate bibimbap. And jajangmyun. It was good.”

I squint and gently tap Daehyun’s stomach, making him retreat slightly. “Your tummy will get tubby,” I tease.

“Do you like it that way?” Daehyun leans down and cheekily whispers, “I thought you liked feeling my abs.”

“Jung Daehyun,” I snort, glaring up at him. Daehyun muffles a laugh and squeezes my shoulder, looking to his friends.

“I’ll see you later. Bye,” he says lowly. He leaves me with one small smile before walking up to the hall with his friends.

I belatedly turn back to Aaron and glance around, the class boys all looking at me. They always turn quiet whenever Daehyun comes; I wonder why. Do they not like him?

Worry stirs in my guts. Is it because they’ve mistaken Daehyun for being cold? Aaron said he didn’t like Daehyun because he thought he was a typical stuck-up popular guy.

We spend another ten minutes in the canteen, Aaron typing up a quick message to Younha. As we put away our plates, Jihoon and I walk side by side, lagging behind our chattering classmates.

I squirm and ask, “Hey, Jihoon, are the class guys uncomfortable around Daehyun?”

“Huh? No, not that I know of.”

“They always seem so quiet whenever Daehyun comes over.” I exhale softly. “I hope they don’t think badly of Daehyun.”

Jihoon scratches his head. “Nah. I guess people are just surprised. Daehyun’s popular as hell and you know, guys like him hang out with his kind. So the fact that he’s close to you is… unexpected?”

He quickly puts his hands up. “Crap, I don’t mean you’re a loser or something. I just mean that Daehyun’s kind of up there and we,” he gestures to our whole group, “aren’t really up there. Besides Hongbin, I guess.”

“But you’re friends with Minho,” I mention.

“We’ve been friends since diapers. That doesn’t count.” Jihoon folds his arms and drawls, “Oh, and also, you and Daehyun always act so weirdly. Man, if I didn’t know you well, I’d think you two were dating or some crap.” He shudders.

I curl my fingers and churn out an awkward laugh, lightly punching Jihoon’s shoulder. “Don’t joke around.” My stomach weighs down and I let out a long breath. Thankfully, Hongbin joins us, chatting with Jihoon while I walk with them quietly.

It’s fine. There’s bound to be some people who aren’t comfortable with these kind of things.

We return to the classroom and I settle down in my seat. Jihoon promptly tosses me a packet of crackers, flashing me a grin.

“Last class, so endure it well, brother.”

“Hey, Youngjae,” Aaron calls from in front, excitement dripping from his voice. He quickly weaves past the rest and grabs my shoulder. “I texted Younha and she says it’s a nice idea! She wants to meet me after school. Can you come with me?”

“Yeah, sure.”

I text Daehyun that I’ll be a little late and put away my phone when our Math teacher comes in. As usual, at the end of class, she springs another pop quiz on us, the whole class bursting out into loud groans.

Staring at my answers and the few blanks, I heave, resting my head against my propped-up arm. I really need to start on a revision schedule since finals are coming. Daehyun’s a lot more conscientious than I expected; he plans everything he needs to do when revising and he always manages to complete his to-do list. He’s like Himchan in that sense. On the other hand, I always try to squeeze too much into one day, so I overestimate myself.

Daehyun and I are pretty different. Beyond the fact that he’s much more well-known than me, he’s also a lot smarter and sporty. I wonder if he notices how mismatching we are, that people think it’s strange for me to hang out with him. If they knew I was dating him, beyond the shock, I wonder if they’d think I’m not fit to be Daehyun’s boyfriend.

I exhale quietly, glancing up when Aaron skips over.

“Hey, we should get some snacks for Younha?” I ask, getting up. “She’s probably tired from all the studying.”

“That’s a good idea. Let’s steal Jihoon’s stash.”

“I heard that, .” Jihoon tries to lunge for Aaron but Aaron ducks out of the classroom with a hearty guffaw.

We head out to buy some titbits before going up to Younha’s class where she’s having a break. Her eyes light up upon seeing us two.

“Haven’t seen you two in a while,” she chuckles, reaching up to pat Aaron’s shoulder. “You haven’t been causing any trouble, have you?”

“Hey, noona! I’m not as bad as you think I am. And why don’t you ask Youngjae that?” Aaron retorts.

“Because Youngjae doesn’t cause trouble. I can’t believe you dragged Youngjae up here.”

“It’s okay, noona. I wanted to see you.” I hold out the snacks for Younha and she promptly takes them with glee, reaching up to pat my shoulder too.

We settle down at a bench as Aaron runs through his ideas with Younha. From her expression, she seems to reflect the same worry I had before, though she eases into a trusting look after a while. Aaron can be a bit impulsive sometimes—his own words—but he has a lot of great ideas and ambitions. Younha likened him to a visionary once.

“It’s a good idea,” Younha decides, that sole answer igniting disbelief in Aaron’s expression. “Just make sure you don’t affiliate with the school, okay? And watch over the postings. Youngjae, please keep an eye out on this boy. You've got a much better sensitivity than him.”

“Woah, I thought you’d reject my idea, noona,” Aaron blurts, an incandescent grin climbing over his cheeks. “Oh my god, this is awesome! This will be the revival of Hyunyoung’s publishing team!” He turns to me and shakes my shoulders, making me dizzy.

“We can’t just give up the publishing team just because the school suspended us, right?” Younha says with determination. “You have more freedom to write what you want now. I always had to tell you to censor things and I can tell it bothers you.”

“Of course it does. We’re journalists. We don’t get to decide what to let people see.” Aaron pats his chest with pride.

“I’m guessing you’ll go into journalism in college?” Younha smiles warmly.

Aaron scratches the back of his head sheepishly. “Is it that obvious? What course are you going to take, noona?”

“Probably literature. What about you, Youngjae?”

It takes me a moment to process the question. I blink before frowning slightly. “I’m not sure,” I murmur. What do I want to study in college?

“Well, you still have time to think about it. But you should plan early so you don’t miss any opportunities.”

Aaron nods enthusiastically. Still exhilirated from Younha approving his idea, he jumps from his seat, waving cheerily and slinging his bag over his shoulder.

“I have to go for my remedial class now. I’ll keep you guys updated! Will send you guys a draft of how the blog will be organised.”

“Sure, sure. Go before you’re late,” Younha chuckles, watching fondly as Aaron scurries down the hallway.

She turns to me. “That boy is always so spontaneous, isn’t he?”

“That’s Aaron for you, noona,” I hum. “I like his idea a lot, but I’m scared the school will interfere.”

“They’ll keep an eye out for us, that’s for sure. But I’m quite sure they have no right to their noses in, since we’re independent from the school.” Younha smirks.

She sighs softly. “I’m glad Aaron still has the fire to keep going. At least I won’t feel so bitter and ashamed by what happened.”

“Why are you ashamed, noona?”

“Because the club closed under my leadership,” Younha heaves, offering a sad smile. “I feel sorry for you guys, and guilty, too.”

“It’s not your fault,” I hurriedly assure. “Noona, you’ve done so much for the club. You did everything you could to protect it. Aaron, me, everyone else—we all know that and we think you’re a great president. Even though the club closed, I’m happy I got to be in it while you were president.”

“Always so nice,” Younha gushes. She lets out a long sigh. “It’s really a shame. You would have made a good president."

“Me?” I repeat, widening my eyes.

“Yeah. I’d already decided for you to take over as president,” Younha shares, winking at me.

Despite the sincerity in her voice, I can’t help but gawk at her in utter stupefaction. Me? President? How can that be? I’m so timid and such a pushover. I can’t even imagine myself as the president.

“But- what about Aaron? There's no way, noona. He’s so much better for the role,” I babble.

There’s seriously no way Younha thought of someone like me to be president. Aaron’s strong-willed, determined and not afraid to tell people what to do. Compaed to him, I’m far from capable to lead. Younha probably just felt bad I didn’t receive any leadership points for my role as head designer, since only head editor and president are recognised by the school.

“It’s true that Aaron would make a good leader too. But I think you’d be more suited for the job. Aaron’s a passionate person and emotion-driven. It’s good that he puts his heart into his work, but sometimes he can go a bit overboard if

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter