April, the Ambiguous and Sweet Tempers

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

April, the Ambiguous and Sweet Tempers (ii)
(double update, 44 & 45)

 

 

“There you are.”

A boy abruptly conks Daehyun on the head with a fist and Daehyun jolts in shock, whirring back. God, I can’t be anymore thankful for this distraction. This boy is Jihoon's best friend; I've seen him around several times. Song Minho, vice-captain of the basketball team, another heartthrob in our school.

“Oh, Minho,” Daehyun echoes.

“Crazy bastard, why’d you run out like a madman after class? The bell rang, I turned around and bam, you were gone.”

“I thought you had a super important meeting or something. Mark said your house caught fire.”

Daehyun shrugs and Minho emits a guttural cackle, peering at me. He spares me a wide grin, raising his hand coolly. I meekly wave back as Minho shuffles out some forms from his file and slaps it onto the table.

“Sign this before our next practice, or Coach’s gonna maul your first born.” He pats Daehyun’s shoulder and steals a piece of chicken from the lunchbox. “Have you finally stopped slapping yourself?”

What? I let out a soft titter and Minho turns to me, amusement drawn over his expression. “Has he been slapping his cheek?” Minho imitates Daehyun by patting his cheek several times, looking exaggeratedly into the distance. “This prick just wouldn’t stop. Signs he’s into .”

I blurt out a laugh as Daehyun roughly elbows Minho. Minho scrutinises me for a moment before exclaiming, “Hey, you’re Jihoon’s friend! No wonder you looked familiar.”

“Yeah, hi,” I pipe up, feeling a little shy at how intimidating Minho looks. Wow, he’s really charismatic and good-looking up close. Even the way he talks is so masculine.

“Congrats on winning the game. Jihoon wouldn’t stop talking about you today,” I bubble.

Minho slips into belly-like laughter, shaking his head with a smile. “Thanks. That hopeless kid loves me more than himself.”

“Welp, I gotta go. Don’t forget to show Jiwon the new circuits by tomorrow. And stop slapping yourself, you psycho.” Minho ruffles Daehyun’s hair into an utter mess and waves to me, pacing away.

I stifle back a giggle and reach up to pat Daehyun’s hair down, Daehyun cutely glancing up without any knowledge of the disaster sitting on his head. I watch as Minho disappears into the distance and let out a breath.

“Wow, he’s really handsome, isn’t he?” I remark.

Daehyun blinks once and follows my gaze to Minho, staring for a while before clearing his throat. He nods absentmindedly and goes back to eating, stuffing his cheeks with ham.

“Honestly, the whole basketball team is basically a congregation of handsome guys,” I mention with a sigh, prodding at my fat cheek.

Daehyun looks up at me and presses his lips together.

“Ah, yeah.” He returns to munching like a chipmunk, his brows nearly unnoticeably furrowed. “So… you think everyone on the team is handsome?” Daehyun coughs.

“Daehyun, the girls call you guys the Prince Charmings of the school,” I puff, acquiescing when Daehyun pops a sausage into my mouth. “Hey, you’re not going to be full if you keep feeding me like this.”

“It’s okay,” Daehyun returns. “But, do you think we’re all handsome?”

“I’ve only seen some team members, Daehyun,” I giggle. “But yeah.”

Daehyun hums, a comfortable quietness sitting between us. I almost speak when Daehyun suddenly begins, “Who do you think is most handsome?”

I ponder thoughtfully. “Well, Minho’s probably up there. And Junhoe too.”

Daehyun pokes at his ham, playing around with the fork. “Oh.”

“Yongguk-hyung is really handsome too,” I comment. “When he’s not being a derpy goofball.”

Daehyun scrunches up his lips and nods without a word. I stare at the boy before me, mysterious and charming mien worn without even needing to try. His thick brown, dark eyes, puffy lips, his strong nose bridge and sharp jaw...

“But I don’t think they can compete with one person.” I plop my head down and rest my chin on my crossed arms. Daehyun looks down at me in question.

“Who’s that?” He mumbles while finishing up most of the lunchbox.

“Guess!” I chime.

Daehyun purses his lips and hums, “...Byunghun?”

“Nope,” I easily answer, reaching over to poke Daehyun’s nose. “It’s Jung Daehyun.”

I mischievously grin up at Daehyun as he peers back down with large eyes. He simmers into practically an award-winning smile, eyes turning into suave crescents.

I click my tongue and straighten up, amusedly saying, “Look at how happy you are. So Jung Daehyun likes it when people compliment his looks.”

Daehyun merely beams in response, simpering like a child that had won a trip to the carnival. He scoops up the last slices and pops them into my mouth. He pats his cheek and gazes down at me, b grin never seeping from his face.

“You have something…” Daehyun reaches over and thumbs my lips before I can even ask, tenderly swiping at my lower lip.

“A bit of pepper,” Daehyun murmurs weakly as he slowly rubs at my lip. With his half-lidded eyes latched so attentively onto my lips, the little blemishes all over my skin, my puffy cheeks and everything else, I can only pinpoint the churning feeling in my guts to be anxiety.

Daehyun’s adam apple bobs up and down and for a moment, I’m paralysed by how intimate this feels. Our proximity seems so choking and my eyes veer to Daehyun’s lips.

It’s stupid; I’ve done this to Daehyun before. I shouldn’t be overreacting like this.

His lips… his lips are so thick, so…

The cutting ring of the bell snaps me to my sense and I recoil hastily, nearly tripping as I get onto my feet. Crap, I forgot all about the plan!

“T-Thanks,” I stammer, refusing to look Daehyun in the eyes. The heat coils all around me, my skin burning up vehemently, and I pray to God my face doesn’t betray me.

“I- um, we should—I have to go get something from my locker,” I blurt clumsily, heaving out a flimsy smile despite still avoiding eye contact with Daehyun.

“...Oh,” Daehyun answers, rising with me. I absentmindedly nod, the feverish trail still twirling all over my skin.

“Ah, you’re done eating, right?” I snatch the lunchbox and toss it into my bag, fumbling embarrassingly with my bag’s zipper.

“Should I bring it back to wash it? I’ll find you tomorrow to return it.”

I glimpse up at Daehyun with an amused frown, warmth still tingling my cheeks. “Daehyun, I can wash it myself,” I titer, slinging my bag over my shoulder.

Daehyun does the same and picks up my bulky file without a second thought.

“It’s heavy,” he breathes in response to my questioning look. “I’ll help you carry it. Just for a while,” he assures, trying to quell my bubbling protests.

I really don’t know what to do anymore. I want to take it from him, but with my head spinning, I reluctantly concede with a soft ‘thanks’. I pace ahead of Daehyun briskly, half afraid to face him, half worried we’ll miss Taemin.

What the heck was I thinking just now?

I shut my eyes for a moment and muster up some strength within me, hurriedly sauntering to my locker. I key in my combination as Daehyun stands by me, large stature looming over me.

I’m just overthinking things. I rummage through my locker blindly, trying to find a good enough excuse to stall for time before Taemin comes.

“...Youngjae.”

Daehyun’s voice is lowered and raspy. I hum, the blood thumping so hard I can feel it in my head.

“I’m so-”

The moment I hear the locker a few columns away clatter, I grab a random book and slam the door shut, whirring to the newly arrived boy. Taemin turns to me with startled eyes before he offers a courteous smile, waving lightly.

“Youngjae,” he greets amiably and looks up to Daehyun. “Daehyun. Nice to see you both.”

“You too,” I chime all too loudly for my liking, discreetly stealing a glance at Daehyun. Daehyun seems to recede and quieten down, merely nodding in response.

“Congrats on the game, Daehyun,” Taemin says, pulling out a file and closing his locker. “I was really impressed by what you pulled right at the end.”

“Thanks,” Daehyun softly murmurs, barely even looking Taemin in the eyes. He his lips and glances to me, a subtle look of discomfort on his face.

It’s evident—in fact, it’s glaring. I mean, Daehyun is clearly nervous about being around Taemin.

So why do I still try and think otherwise?

“Correct me if I’m wrong,” Taemin simpers into his fist, brooding on his following words with an entertained mien, “but after your winning moment, it seemed like something happened between you and Youngjae?”

Upon hearing those words, I dissolve into apprehension and swivel my full attention back to Taemin, the boy pressing his palm over his mouth and holding back a chortle.

“Do you mean…” I drift off, biting my lip in hopes Taemin isn’t talking about that. He probably did see it, though, since he sat at the front row near me.

Taemin hums, winking, “It almost looked like you two kissed.”

I instantly flush, face contorting in dread. God, how many people know about it?

“It was an accident. My friend pushed me into him and I fell forward,” I hurriedly clarify and massage my temple, blushing harder when Taemin laughs unabashedly.

“God, it’s so embarrassing. I didn’t know people knew about it. I can’t walk these hallways anymore,” I groan, pivoting to face Daehyun. “I’m sorry for embarrassing you, Daehyun.”

“You didn’t, Youngjae,” Daehyun rebounds swiftly. Taemin’s friendly smile lingers as we slip into a momentary silence.

“So, I heard both of you met in freshman year,” I supply, hoping to keep the ball rolling.

Taemin nods cordially. “I used to tag along for practices just to watch, since Jongin wanted me to. We probably met because of that.”

“That’s nice,” I cajole, gesturing to Daehyun. “How was Daehyun like?”

“Hm… quiet and mysterious. I would say he didn’t change much, honestly,” Taemin chuckles.

Daehyun keeps his head lowered, holding onto his bag straps and nodding wordlessly.

“Jongin says you’re a lot happier and talkative this year,” Taemin continues amicably. “But he still complains that you talk too little, all in all.”

“...Jongin talks too much,” Daehyun mutters under his breath. Taemin dissolves into a bout of sweet laughter, nodding in agreement.

“I’ll pass on the message. Though, I’ve been telling him this for years and he still doesn’t heed my words.”

Daehyun chuckles shortly. They’re getting along well. I should try and find an exit for myself and leave these two alone.

“Jongin says you didn’t go for the after-party,” Taemin mentions. “Where did you go?”

A stretched pause fills the space between us and Daehyun shifts his weight from one leg to another, nodding quietly.

Is Daehyun too nervous to reply, or does he not want to say he spent the day with me? I mean, I wouldn’t either, if it makes my crush interpret the situation wrongly…

“He went home, since his helper already cooked dinner for him,” I help out.

“Oh, I see. It’s a shame, don’t you think so, Youngjae? The guest of honour doesn’t attend his own party,” Taemin jokes.

“Yeah, it really is.” He had to waste the day with me instead. “You should have gone to celebrate, Daehyun,” I hum.

“It’s okay,” Daehyun mumbles almost inaudibly. Another silence overcomes us and Taemin perks up affabl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter