Closer

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Closer

 

 

“Jae twin!” I barely have time to look out of my classroom before Jaebum whacks me on the head with his rolled worksheet.

I threateningly raise my laptop and Jaebum ducks, cackling away. “Yuck,” I belch.

“You know you like the name,” Jaebum teases and pulls me into a headlock. “Maybe we can form a band or something next time. JaeJae. JJ!”

“Nope,” I breathe, prodding Jaebum in the stomach. He gasps for breath, instantly letting go as I triumphantly stalk ahead. He chases after me, us joining the queue at the bustling canteen.

“You know, you could show me more love as your childhood BFF,” Jaebum grumbles, poking me in the cheek. I narrow my eyes, raising a hand and causing Jaebum to cower.

“And that’s the worst decision I ever made,” I nonchalantly return, Jaebum making a face and pretending to snivel. I miss days like these where Jaebum and I used to meet up in freshman year, despite him being in the more basic classes. He always ended school early so he had to wait for me, but as the work started piling up, he found it harder to stay back. In fact, we used to go to school together, before he moved to Joonhwan-dong.

“So, how’s life?” Jaebum stretches himself.

I shrug. “Not much.”

“Yeah, right. Head designer for this year’s singing competition, not much,” Jaebum mocks.

I blink at him in surprise. When he says it like that, it sounds like I’ve got an important job, but I’m really not doing much.

“Oh yeah, you know my teammate Daehyun, right?” Jaebum shakes his head with a sigh, massaging his nose bridge. “He joined Beacon. Unbelievable. Seriously unbelievable.”

I fidget, grimacing to know that I’d let the cat out of the bag to the point even Jaebum knows. “What’s so bad about it?” I ask hesitantly, remembering Yongguk’s similar reaction.

“None of us are allowed to join,” Jaebum says, scrunching up his nose. “Coach doesn’t let us because it’ll interfere with our practices. Doesn’t want us to get derailed, since this year, we’ve got a pretty good chance of making it to the finals. We have a change in the line-up.”

“New member?” I question.

Jaebum shrugs, waving his hand. “Sort of. Ever since Sanghoon transferred, Coach started training Daehyun for shooting guard. Who knew that guy was hiding such sick potential.”

“Anyway,” Jaebum continues while ordering his food, “that went to sign himself up. It’s like he’s intentionally trying to get on Coach’s blacklist. First, he misses practice—you seriously need balls of steel to do that since Coach has this whole punctuality thing—and then, he wants to do this singing crap.”

“Hey,” I mutter, nudging Jaebum and defending Daehyun, “he’s talented. He sings well and he even writes his own songs.”

Jaebum looks unconvinced, scratching his head. “I know, but still, we’ve always agreed to prioritise basketball over any other commitments…”

“Daehyun genuinely wants to be part of Beacon,” I blurt before I can stop myself. I don’t even know if that’s true, but recalling Daehyun’s focus in the tape seems to show it that way.

"It's just a singing competition," Jaebum snorts. "I can bring him to a noraebang if he wants. Can Daehyun even sing?"

“Hey, his audition was incredible. What more, it was super heartfelt. He sang this really romantic song for the girl he likes,” I persist, grabbing my bowl of rice and walking with Jaebum to a table.

“Girl he likes?”

I catch myself and hiss, wanting to sock myself in the face. In my fervor to defend Daehyun, I’d let out something else that I should have kept private.

“Uh, it seems that way. He sang the love song real passionately,” I casually provide, staring down at my fish to avoid Jaebum’s gaze.

“That’s kind of sappy,” Jaebum snickers, prodding me with the back of my chopsticks. “But I’m not surprised, anyway. I’ve heard the story of Daehyun and his love.”

Jaebum wiggles his eyebrows and stuffs some chicken into his mouth.

“Mm,” I hum, thinking back to that day where that girl had scampered up to Daehyun, their shoulders touching. “I think I met her the other day.”

Jaebum blinks at me with a gasp. “You have?”

“I don’t know… I think so.” I dig into my food, chewing slowly. The silhouette of the cute girl I’d met briefly floats into my mind. “Eunji, was it?”

Jaebum waves his hand and leans back with a disappointed face. “She’s not Daehyun’s girlfriend. Man, and here I thought you cracked the mystery.”

“Mystery?” It sounds like Daehyun’s beloved hasn’t been unveiled to his friends. “Huh. That girl seemed really close to him. They looked cute together.”

“Yeah, tell that to Daehyun,” Jaebum scoffs. “Eunji’s been chasing him for a long, long time. Since freshman year.”

I raise my brows, sipping at my drink. I swear I don’t like gossiping, but I can’t help but be curious about who’s gotten Daehyun’s heart.

“Honestly, I don’t want to sound bitter and all, but I don’t get why she’s so hung up over Daehyun. Yeah, the guy’s attractive, but what’s Daehyun when there’s me?” Jaebum cheekily finishes, flexing his arms.

I poke him with my straw, shaking my head incredulously.

“It’s an insult to Daehyun to even compare you two,” I joke and Jaebum pouts, patting his chest to feign heartbreak.

“But seriously. I don’t get it. Eunji’s super crazed for him,” Jaebum muses.

“She asks him out every few months, but he turns her down. In fact, he rejects every girl.” Jaebum props his cheek against his hand, letting out a breath. “And she’s so cute. So cute, Youngjae. Why can’t she see I’m available?”

I laugh, resting my arms on the seat. “Why’d Daehyun turn her down?”

“Because of that someone he likes, like you said. Every time she asks him, he’ll say that he still likes that person.” Jaebum snivels his nose in irk. “He’s not even dating her; I asked Eunji and she told me everything. She asked him the first time round if it was because he had a girlfriend and he said no, it's just someone he likes. That is goddamn K-drama material right there.”

Daehyun sounds awfully dedicated. Wow, what a romantic. Maybe it’s a girl from his hometown. I really hope Daehyun manages to get together with the girl he likes. 

“You’d be surprised what relationships can do to you,” I provide, chuckling at the thought of Donggeun spending his week’s allowance to get a bouquet for his girlfriend. He’d always said that flowers were stupid and useless.

“I don’t want to know!” Jaebum whines, banging his fork against his bowl. “But girls are so hot, Youngjae. They’re so hot.”

“You know who Hana is? She's so hot, ugh." He lets out a groan and I shift back warily. "Seriously. She's got curves like Madonna and..." 

The hours dissolve away as the distance between us fade into hearty laughs and reminiscent thoughts. Jaebum definitely hasn't changed on the inside. It's so nice to catch up with him again.

"You're kidding me," I gape as Jaebum nods fervently. "I'm serious. Hey, did you know that Sungyeol-"

"Youngjae?"

We turn to the source of the voice, Daehyun standing by our table with a tray of his own. Yongguk stops in his stride with another boy, turning back to find the missing member of their trio. 

"Daehyun," I chime, smiling up at him.

Jaebum cranes his neck into Daehyun's line of sight. "Yo, I'm here, bro?"

"Oh, Jaebum," Daehyun mumbles, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. Yongguk and Byunghun walk up to us, the former with a gummy grin on his face. 

"Jaebum, Youngjae," Yongguk greets while Byunghun waves lightly. "You're having lunch too?"

"We finished a long time ago, hyung." Jaebum turns to me, glancing down at his phone. "We've been here for two hours, Youngjae. Should we go?" 

Byunghun nudges Yongguk, gesturing to the other table where the rest of their friends are at. Yongguk whispers for him to go on ahead.

"Yeah." I shrug, gathering my stuff and ready to stand.

"Wait!" Yongguk's sudden boom startles me and I quizzically stare at his outstretched arm that almost slapped Jaebum in the face. "Let's have lunch together."

"But we already had lunch," Jaebum whines, pulling at his collar and fanning himself.

Yongguk conks him on the head. "Idiot. Learn to accompany your hyung; he won't be around next year." 

Yongguk nudges Daehyun into the seat beside me and he winds over to sit with Jaebum. "So, what were you kids talking about?"

"Heart to heart talk," Jaebum provides, beating on his chest and letting out a moan. Yongguk sends him a look of askance as I laugh, nudging Jaebum under the table. 

"You sure are packing a feast," I chuckle as I glance over at Daehyun's tray. He perks up at me and nods, small smile on his face.

"They started serving the new Kimchi stock just fifteen minutes ago," Yongguk mentions, poking at his food.

"Oh man, Jongin was saying they got this super spicy brand. How does it taste?" Jaebum leans over, gaze curious.

"We haven't eaten yet, ," Yongguk points out, to which Jaebum grumbles.

"Do you want to try it?"

I return my attention to Daehyun who has a piece of Kimchi on his fork. "Nah, it's fine."

Daehyun raises his fork towards my lips. "It's okay. Try it." 

I blink at Daehyun, watching his earnest expression with amusement.

Jaebum knocks on the table. "Hey, if he doesn't want it, can I have it?"

Jaebum tips over to take a bite but Yongguk pushes him back into his seat. "You can take mine," Yongguk urges, tossing his whole bowl of kimchi into Jaebum's tray. 

Parting my lips, I nibble carefully on the kimchi. Instantly, I scrunch up my face and wince at the sour taste. Daehyun chuckles as I shut my eyes, something new prodding at my lips.

"Drink this."

I acquiesce, sipping at Daehyun's root beer to quell the awful sensation in my mouth.

"Not good," I breathe, cracking open an eye. Daehyun laughs again, taking a piece to try for himself. 

"Youngjae's right," Jaebum chokes, throwing the bowl back into Yongguk's tray. "Oh god. I don't think I'll ever get that off my tongue."

Daehyun pauses in taking his drink and stares down at his straw before taking a sip. Yongguk suddenly breaks out into a guffaw, us three staring quizzically at him. He waves us off, amused grin still lingering.

“Oh, I just realised.” Jaebum frowns, prodding his cheek. “You guys know each other?” He points to Yongguk then back to me.

“Yeah, Youngjae’s helping me do my album art.” Yongguk beams. “We worked on it the whole afternoon together yesterday. He’s real talented.”

Daehyun snaps his head up. Jaebum groans, “Ew. Go find your own friends, hyung, you loser. Lay off my best friend.”

"Your best friend?" Yongguk arches a brow challengingly. “After the bonding we did yesterday, I don't think so. Right, Jae boo?”

Yongguk puckers his lips and reaches over, pinching my chin and lightly pulling me towards him. Jaebum cries out in irk, wanting to swat Yongguk when Daehyun nudges Yongguk’s hand off me.

“Stop it. You’re being weird,” Daehyun mumbles, mouth crumpled up grouchily.

Yongguk grins, squeezing my chin again. “Can’t help it when we’re so close, hm?”

Daehyun pushes his arm away and they end up doing it a few times before I lean back, out of Yongguk’s grasp. 

“Um, if you could stop abusing my face, that’d be great,” I laugh, rubbing at the slight redness.

Jaebum snorts. “What's this supposed to be? A drama? It's almost as bad as your K-drama love life, Daehyun," he snickers to Daehyun.

The latter blinks and turns his attention to his food.

"What love life?" He grumbles, wolfing up his meal.

Jaebum flips his hair dramatically and clasps his hands together. "The Romeo who never forgot his Juliet. Not even when someone as cute as Eunji's in front of him." 

Daehyun chokes and I stifle back a laugh, Yongguk chortling along.

"What do you mean by that?" He grouses, voice straining as he coughs away the lump in his throat.

"Stop acting dumb, man. We all know about your tragic love story."

Daehyun continues to eat, paying no heed to Jaebum's teasing. 

"Is she hot? Hotter than Eunji? Smarter? Bigger?"

Yongguk slaps Jaebum on the head at his last question, massaging his forehead in disbelief. "Keep it in your pants, Jaebum."

"Are you ever going to tell us who she is?" Jaebum continues probing.

I watch in amusement as Jaebum leans over, enlarging his eyes and flaring his nostrils. "Some Busan chick you promised you'll come back for her? A noona who will only see you as a man when you graduate? A girl who's already taken?"

"I left Busan when I was six," Daehyun intones matter-of-factly and clears his plate.

Yongguk joins in, prodding his spoon against his lips. "Someone from this school?"

His brows squirms and Daehyun lowers his head, a slight blush trailing up his neck. He looks really cute like that.

"Perhaps someone near us right now? Very near?" Yongguk sings and Jaebum cackles, making his fists into pretend binoculars and searching the canteen. He leans so far Daehyun shrinks back into his seat.

I chuckle, nudging Jaebum back into place. "Are you guys really going to gang up on him?"

Jaebum pouts, folding his arms. "Don't you want to know too, Youngjae?"

I grin, twiddling my fingers. Truthfully, I'm a bit curious, but it's Daehyun's love life, not mine. "I'm hoping if I help Daehyun now, he'll tell me who he likes first," I hum.

Yongguk bursts out laughing. We glance quizzically at him as he guffaws so hard he nearly topples off his chair. I know I'm pretty funny (thank you very much) but I don't think what I said was that funny.

"I hope he does too," Yongguk manages out, still catching his breath and grinning widely. "A huge confession, ay, Daehyun?"

His tone is teasing and Daehyun's eyes are wide, almost in panic. Wow, his crush must seriously be some sacred secret to be kept.

“Hey, are you guys heading home now?” Yongguk chimes, Daehy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter