Date (i)

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Date (i)
(triple update, 28, 29 & 30)

 

 

The holidays have rolled in without me even realising. I always knew the one week holiday was arriving but it really hit me on Friday when Jihoon asked me how I was going to spend my holiday.

I was certain I would be spending it at home, lazing around and forcing myself to revise. Jongup is on a holiday in Jeju while Himchan… well, things haven’t been resolved between us. After that call, we haven’t been talking. I had woken up that night mhalfway to find it was already three, and I was surprised to find Himchan hadn’t cut the line. He was sleeping, of course, not responding when I spoke. I guess we must have fallen asleep at the same time, so none of us put down the phone.

I was thinking of cutting the call but somehow, I didn’t have the heart to. It was weird, hearing the cicadas and the night breeze on his side over the phone. For a moment, I kind of wanted to speak to him, even though he wasn’t listening. I wanted to tell him that deep inside, I’d already forgiven him since last night. It was because of me that it happened, anyway. If I hadn’t been so pathetic-looking, Himchan wouldn’t have resorted to that.

I really wonder how I’d seem to my friends all this while. Have I always looked this pitiful? It’s humiliating to think of it, especially when I had no idea. How oblivious am I, really…

One good thing about the holidays is that my parents have been given a few days leave after their press conference was a success. My father lead the team which included my mother, and after days of gruelling hard work, the final product met the market and needless to say, their boss was very pleased with the hike in profits.

Ah, I lost my train of thought there. Anyway, I was saying that well, a loser like myself doesn’t have any friends to hang out with. The class guys did ask me out for a movie but it was the one which I watched with Minsoo, which brought back a lot of cringe-worthy, self-hating memories, so I skipped out on it.

I really thought I’d spend my holidays all alone. I really did, but I guess fate didn’t want me to wallow in self-pity and rot in my house. Daehyun messaged me a few nights ago, asking if he could claim that one outing that I traded in exchange for his hint.

To be honest, I still haven’t gotten over the fact that Daehyun likes a boy. I’m embarrassed that all this while, I was encouraging him, telling him to go for the girl he likes. It must have put him in a spot; I wonder how many times he wanted to correct me.

Anyway, I am, admittedly (like the loser I am), super excited to see Daehyun over the holidays. Something about him just makes me happy. He’s an endearing person; I’m sure whoever spends time with him would share the same sentiments as me. His charming grins, the smiles lines running up to his nose, the little creases in his cheeks when he beams…

Um, I zoned out there for a while. Back to what I was saying, I was mulling over his text, legitimately trying to tell myself not to be excited because Daehyun probably just wants me to accompany him as his friends are busy. I joked back that since he gave me three hints, he could claim three dates. He took a while to reply, I freaking out during that time wondering if I’d come across as desperate or creepy.

I’ll take your word for it, then, was his answer. Needless to say, I grinned like an idiot. A part of me hopes he does claim those other outings, but I shouldn’t set my expectations too high. I’m talking like a schoolgirl waiting for her senior to notice her, psh. I don’t mind being there for him when he doesn’t have anyone else to go out with—probably a rare occurrence for someone as popular as him.

I lay back in bed, balancing my laptop on my lap as I continue drawing on the tablet. Lately, I’ve been listening to a lot of Korean Indie, which has put me in a sort of mellow, romantic mood. It’s quite ironic, considering I just got rejected after being matchmade. Blame Vanilla Acoustic and Coffee Boy.

Daehyun and I are going out today. I prepared a bit too early, okay, way too early since I was excited, so I’ve spent the last two hours making a bento box for Daehyun. It's mostly for snacks just in case he gets hungry. It's done now so I'm working on my old virtual drawing of a couple sheepishly holding hands.

Daehyun had insisted to pick me up from my house even though I said I could just meet him wherever he wanted to go. My mind keeps drifting off to Daehyun’s confession on the bridge… To never regret liking someone, no matter what the outcome, I wonder how in love he must be, and how courageous Daehyun is. I would never set myself up for hurt because I’m a weakling.

It makes me think that maybe he hasn’t confessed yet precisely because he’s afraid of what the boy he likes will think of him. I still can’t believe he asked me if I felt disgusted. More than anything, I felt happy he shared that with me. I’m honoured to keep this secret for Daehyun.

Speaking of which, we got back our report card before the holidays. Thankfully, both Daehyun and I got an overall A. Kim-songsaengnim must have said something to Park-songsaengnim. I’ve noticed that Park-songsaengnim seems to pick on Daehyun less in class nowadays. Not that I paid special attention to it or anything; I just happened to notice.

As I stare at the girl in the image, her back turned, I experimentally erase her long hair and redraw her hair to be a lot shorter. Two boys being together… is there anything really wrong with it? So long as they love each other, there really shouldn’t be any reason why anybody has any say in tearing apart a perfectly good relationship.

The doorbell rings at this moment and I jump. I scurry off the bed, stopping in front of the mirror to make sure I look decent. I grimace, irked at how fat my face is, but having no choice, I scamper out.

“Youngjae, your friend’s here!” My mother calls from the kitchen. I hum back, rushing to the door. I swing it open to find Daehyun standing before me, wearing a V-neck shirt. I wave, stopping short upon seeing a vase of yellow flowers in his hands. The bouquet sways slightly in the light breeze that passes, along with my gaping silence.

“Hey,” Daehyun greets, showcasing his usual face—pressed lips, stoic expression, eyes veered away. He has a DSLR hung around his neck. I blink at the flowers in his hand, squeaking out, “Hi…” What for did he bring flowers!?

“Your vase,” Daehyun begins. “It’s done.” He hesitantly holds out the blue vase and I nervously take it into my arms, inhaling the scent of the tulips. Heat trails all the way up to my cheeks as I stutter, “T-The flowers?”

“I thought…” Daehyun drifts off, glancing at me for a moment before looking away and thinning his lips. “It looked dull, empty.”

I take in the bouquet in my arms, admiring how our vase had turned out. “Thank you,” I wheeze, his gesture somehow making me quite winded. “They’re beautiful. Really, thank you.” It’d be a challenge to find a person sweeter than Jung Daehyun, I swear.

“I’ll go put them by my bed. Do you want to come in?” I mumble, awkwardness suddenly hitting me full force. I’m naturally anti-social, but it’s not like me to be so tense around Daehyun. What’s wrong with me?

“It’s okay. I’ll wait out here.” I nod and turn on my heels quickly, truthfully wanting to get away from Daehyun. I place the flowers on my bedside table, clearing away the Totoro doll.

“Youngjae, your friend is at the door,” my mother says as she comes into my room. “And you haven’t eaten your breakfast yet. Do you want-” She parts her lips to say something else when she realises the vase by my bed.

“Where did you get that?” She bemuses, eyes wide. I rub my neck and murmur, “My friend gave it to me.”

“Your friend…” My mother glances back out to the doorway and back to me quizzically. “Got you flowers?”

“We made the vase together and he collected it for me. He bought flowers to accompany it,” I return, feeling quite with the way my mother is scrutinising me. She nods slowly, following me as I hurry back out.

“Sorry,” I blurt. Daehyun shakes his head with a smile. My mother appears beside me and Daehyun instantaneously bows a full ninety-degree bow, greeting my mother formally. “Good morning, Mrs. Yoo. I am Jung Daehyun, Youngjae’s friend. I promise to take good care of your son.”

My mother sinks into a soft laugh. “Oh, you don’t have to be so polite,” she assures. “Any friend of Youngjae is like a son to me. I would be more worried Youngjae will be trouble for you, considering how absent-minded he can be.”

I whine quietly as my mother pokes me on the head. “Youngjae told me about you! But I haven’t seen you before, Daehyun,” my mother continues, “isn’t that right, Youngjae? I’ve only met your friends Jongup, Jaebum, Himchan, and that other boy, hm… Ilhoon?”

“Jihoon,” I correct, a bit embarrassed my mother revealed my dismal lack of friends. “Well, I won’t know many of Youngjae’s friends since I’m not around often,” she hums. “So, Daehyun, how long have you known Youngjae?”

“Since our first year.” I turn to Daehyun inquisitively. Didn’t we meet this year? Daehyun seems to realise my confused expression as he quietly divulges to my mother, “I knew who Youngjae was in our first year, but we only made friends this year.”

“Takes time for a friendship to bloom, hm?” My mother jokes. “Would you like to come inside, Daehyun?”

“Omma, we’re going out,” I chuckle, pouting. She nods and says, “Alright, alright. I’ll leave you two alone.” Just then, the shuffling of feet arise as my father walks down the corridor with his arms full of groceries, peering curiously at us.

“Who’s this?” His belly voice resounds down the aisle as Daehyun bows again. “Good morning, Mr. Yoo. I am Jung Daehyun, Youngjae’s friend. I promise to take good care of your son,” Daehyun repeats, igniting a giggle in me. He sounds like he’s about to take me to the expedition through the Amazon or that he’s about to ask for my hand in marriage. Okay, stop there, weird thoughts.

“Oh, boy, no need to be so stiff. Do I look that scary?” My father chuckles as he walks up to us. “I’m more happy you’re getting my son out of the house.” Before I can reach out to help my father with the bags, Daehyun instantly offers to assist him. “Let me, Mr. Yoo,” Daehyun says, taking the bags as my father looks at him, rather startled.

“Wow, he’s one of those mother’s friend’s son, isn’t he, Youngjae?” My father chuckles, patting Daehyun casually on the back. Daehyun looks really serious though.

“Hey, aren’t you the delivery boy who was at the lift lobby when I went down?” My father questions, frowning.

“You’re mistaken, honey,” my mother muses, “Daehyun just came up. You went down an hour ago.”

“No, I’m sure that was you. Were you carrying yellow flowers? In a vase?” My father inquires, to which Daehyun nods silently. “Where’d they go?” My father adds on.

I watch my father and mother talk back and forth, Daehyun and I awkwardly caught between. “He gave them to Youngjae,” my mother provides, veering her head towards Daehyun as my father looks visibly stunned. “You were downstairs? Why didn’t you come up, Daehyun?” My mother asks.

“I came too early,” Daehyun replies, lowering his head respectfully. I watch as my father and mother exchange glances, but I barely have any time to dwell on that upon realising Daehyun had been below my apartment aimlessly lingering. Did he think he would be intruding? Now I feel bad; he must have waited awfully long.

“Well, I guess us old geezers won’t hold you two back,” my father says. Daehyun nods and I lead him in, apologising for him having to carry the groceries. “It’s alright,” Daehyun returns, grimacing. "Do... your parents like me?"

"I'm pretty sure they're head over heels for how perfect a son you would make," I chuckle. I grab my bag and dump in the lunch box. We bid my parents goodbye, Daehyun doing another ninety degree bow, and head down.

"Where are we going?" Had I dressed too formally? Daehyun said he couldn't tell me so I'm wondering if it's really something illegal—or something he's embarrassed to go to. Jihoon once asked me out the same way and we ended up at Crayon Pop's concert with bicycle helmets, him screaming his lungs out.

We continue to walk as Daehyun slips out a piece of crumpled paper from his pocket. He rubs his neck as I peer curiously at him. Seems like he’s holding a list of places he wants to visit. Daehyun runs through the list, blinking sharply, before slipping it back into his pocket.

“Secret,” Daehyun murmurs. I melt into a chuckle, teasingly replying, “I’m holding you responsible if I go missing tomorrow.”

Daehyun smiles back, mumbling, “I promised your parents I’d protect you.” The words paint red on my cheeks as we stroll, me following after Daehyun. We reach a waiting area by the side of the road and Daehyun suddenly opens the door of the car parked there. He holds it open as I part my lips in surprise.

“I know you can do a lot of things, Daehyun,” I splutter, “but I draw the line at you knowing how to drive.”

Daehyun laughs charmingly. “I’m not driving; don’t worry. Chauffeur.” He gestures slightly to the occupant in the car. Stunned, I quietly plop into the backseat, Daehyun joining me. The man in the driver’s seat looks to be middle-aged, dressed a bit formally.

“The first stop, Mr. Jung?” The man asks, voice hoarse but amiable. Daehyun nods. “Thank you,” he answers, not noticing the face of pure disbelief I’m wearing. Is Daehyun that rich to have a personal chauffeur? I shouldn’t have expected less, considering how huge his house is.

Daehyun glimpses at me, acknowledge my expression and lowering his voice. “I don’t do this often. This is the first time,” he quietly clarifies. Still, the fact that he is wealthy enough to hire a driver… “I didn’t want to make you- us walk so much.”

“I’m fine with walking, Daehyun,” I assure. “Are we going somewhere really far?”

“Not really. But we’re going to quite a lot of places. It’s okay with you, right?” Daehyun returns hesitantly. Late morning Seoul whooshes past us, people bustling down the streets.

“Yeah, sure. I can’t say no since I’m forced to be your companion, anyway,” I joke. Daehyun ever so slightly nudges me with his elbow, starkly different from the way my friends roughly jab me in the ribs. “Is it a photography trip?” I ask, looking down at the camera still around his neck.

“Sort of,” he hums, joy clear on his face. I smother back a grin, indulging in Daehyun’s warm smile.

“Have you eaten lunch?” Daehyun inquires, glimpsing to his watch. “I haven’t. Have you?” I reply, rummaging through my bag and nervously pulling out the lunchbox. “Because, if you haven’t…”

Daehyun stares at the box, breaking out into a blinding grin. “You… made that for me?” I shouldn’t feel so embarrassed, but somehow, I do. I nod awkwardly, pulling away the box when Daehyun tries to take it.

“Nah uh. Tell me where we’re going first.” Daehyun presses his lips together in response, snickering, “You’ll just have to wait and see.”

“You… you’re being so secretive.” I narrow my eyes jokingly. Daehyun continues to beam, glancing to me. “Do you want a hint?”

I nod fervently. Daehyun thinks to himself, putting up an okay sign. I blink at him as he waves his hand. “‘Okay’?” I uncertainly say.

Daehyun blinks at me, chuckling. He pats his three outstretched fingers and I dumbly state, “Oh, is it ‘Three’?” He nods contentedly.

“Three what?” I question. “Three bears? There are three bears in a house,” I sing cheekily, Daehyun melting into an even brighter smile.

“Go on. Why’d you stop?”

“I can’t sing in front of someone like you,” I puff. “Mr. Heavenly Voice.”

Daehyun naturally laughs away the remark, shifting closer to me. “Come on. Papa bear, Mama bear,” he sings, egging me on.

“Baby bear,” I chortle, the driver glancing back in amusement.

“Papa bear was fat,” Daehyun choruses, putting out his arms like a sumo wrestler. I chortle, continuing, “Mama bear was thin.”

“Baby bear was cute.” Daehyun does some aegyo, putting his fists to his cheeks, and I struggle to contain my giggle. “Eusseuk! Eusseuk! Very good,” we end off together in silly laughter, like pre-school children. God, we’re so lame.

“I love your singing,” Daehyun compliments. “It’s sweet, like... caramel.”

I scoff lightheartedly, “You’re just saying that to make me feel better. Hey, don’t I get another hint for what I did?”

“Alright,” Daehyun concedes blithely. “Trees. Lots of trees.”

I mull over it and my mind pings. “A park?” I gaze out of the window, finding ourselves going down the road past Seoul Forest. I gape at the sheer size of the park, glancing back for affirmation.

“You got it.”

The driver pulls up into the parking lot, Daehyun exiting the car and holding the door open for me. I stumble out, inhaling deeply at the fresh scent of nature. Daehyun strides over to the car boot, lugging out an enormous picnic basket. He stops for a while to admire the scenery.

“It’s really windy,” he comments, pleased. I try to help him with his things but he simply walks forward, turning around to make sure I’m following. In his left hand, he’s holding a colourful kite. I guess it is a photography trip, considering our environment. Daehyun sure has a lot of interests.

“C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter