☁ Expected

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Expected

 

 

Junior year, February.

"I'm sorry, Eunji."

The girl before me musters a smile, patting me on the shoulder. I stare down at the chocolates in my hands, guilt creeping up my nerves as her eyes dim. Eunji grins nevertheless, nudging the box of chocolates towards me insistently.

"I bought this for you, so keep it." She claps her hands together, jutting out her lower lip. "Can I have a bite, though?"

"Sure," I mumble. I wonder why she likes me.

I crack open the cover and she plops onto the grass of the school garden, patting a clean spot for me to sit. I oblige, settling down as she pops a piece into . She sings in joy, savouring the taste on her lips.

"Mm! This is so, so good!" Eunji cheers.

I chuckle, taking a bite for myself. She continues to smile at me, acting like we didn't just have that conversation before. How many times have we been through this?

Everyone tells me I'm crazy for rejecting her over and over again. Eunji is one of the most sought after girls in the cohort.

I'm honoured that she likes me. I don't get why she does when guys like Inguk ask her out. I feel guilty about rejecting her, but I can't lead her on.

Not when you're all I think about.

"You look like those brooding boys in mangas," Eunji suddenly chimes.

I arch a brow and smile, watching a blush seep onto her cheeks.

"You know. Those where they're all quiet, cool and mysterious and there's the bright girl who comes along and opens him up." She wiggles her eyebrows suggestively, pointing at herself.

"You'll find the right guy for you," I say, picking out a few chocolates and stuffing them all into my mouth.

Eunji grimaces, shaking her head. "But you really have to work on your eating habits. I guess that's also one of your manly charms, besides your stoic face."

My lips curl as I turn to Eunji, chewing slowly. She remorselessly grins back and flashes a peace sign.

I scour the place for you, seeing no sign of anyone else but a few girls walking towards the spot under the shady tree. Eunji waves to them before flopping herself onto the ground.

"What's she like?" Eunji asks, staring up at the sky. I glance at her in question before comprehending her question.

"You said you can't tell me who it is, but can you tell me what she's like?" She hums.

"I'm jealous of her," Eunji sighs, reaching out a hand and grasping at the air. "I want to know what type of girl you like."

I mull over the question quietly, averting my gaze to see Eunji so disappointed.

What kind of person are you, Youngjae? You are so many things, but do I love you because you have all those characteristics, or do I love all those traits of you because it's you?

I really don't know, Youngjae. But when have I ever had answers when it came to you? You always leave me with more questions, leaving me more captivated by you as the days go by.

I stop in my movements when I see you in the hallways. I forget what I'm talking about when I hear you down the aisle. I purposely walk slower when I pass by your classroom, glancing at your attentive expression.

"You're a great person, Eunji," I return, leaning back against the bark of the tree.

Eunji shakes her head, crossing her arms behind her head. "See, you shouldn't say things like that. It just makes me like you more. Will you tell me about your crush?"

I veer my head away, musing. It's weird how we don't know each other but yet, I have a million things to say when it comes to you.

Just as I part my lips, my eyes meet your figure strolling into the school garden. My breath hitches and I straighten up, watching as you sleepily rub your eyes. I swear my heart skips a beat as you plop down on the grass, furrowing your brows and clasping at your laptop.

Unconsciously, I smile, you yawning and flipping open your laptop. It's always with you. It's admirable that you're so passionate about designing.

"Earth to Daehyun?"

I snap out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter