Mistake (ii)

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mistake (ii)

 

 

The class gradually files out, casting Daehyun and me probing looks as we nervously stand at the front row. Maybe we answered the question wrongly... But Park-songsaengnim said it was an open topic, so there were very few specifics we had to follow.

The moment the last student scurries out of the hall, Park-songsaengnim places down his marker and sharply turns to us.

“Daehyun,” he says, emphasis almost viscious, “and Youngjae.”

“Really.” He paces slowly back and forth, tone mocking.

“Countless, countless of Greek myths, and yet—” Park-songsaengnim's pitch rises, eyes skidding towards us, “—you two chose Hyacinth and Apollo.”

“Pathetic significance. Nonsensical inferences. Poor analysis. Mortifying topic. What exactly were you trying to prove with this?” Park-songsaengnim locks his jaw, his stare breezing past me and landing on Daehyun.

“You brought in an aghast subject and mangled the story you were doing on. The rightful version—where Hyacinth and Apollo were friends—could easily have been used, but you two clearly wanted to take a troublesome route. And thus, ended up with a troublesome grade.”

He stops in his stride and I in a breath.

“Who chose the topic?” Park-songsaengnim’s eyes tighten into slits.

“I did.”

Daehyun’s voice is hoarse and firm, breaking the silence. The tension in the air doubles tenfold and I part my lips, wanting to disagree. Daehyun suggested it but I agreed to it; it’s not his fault.

“As expected. A bad decision on your part, then,” Park-songsaengnim says leisurely, gaze roaming over to me. “I suggest you pick a new partner for part two of the project, Youngjae.”

He gathers his things, sliding it into his bag and throwing it over his shoulder. “This will be keyed into your first semester's percentage, by the way.”

Park-songsaengnim halts at the door, the sole of his shoe squeaking.

“I gave you an excuse every lesson, Daehyun.”

His voice is lowered dangerously and beats with a tinge of repulsion. “But this time, I couldn’t.”

He his head back slightly. “Who could I push it to? The seatmate again? It’d be all the same.”

The apprehension clotting the room barely fades when Park-songsaengnim disappears from sight. I clutch at our report, mind in a whirl. We couldn't have fared so badly; it just doesn't make sense.

Something tells me Park-songsaengnim just doesn't like one certain aspect of our project.

“I'm sorry.” Daehyun's apology lugs me out of my thoughts. He lowers his head, shoulders falling in dejection.

“This is all because of me. You don't deserve it.”

I snap my head towards Daehyun. “No,” I blurt hastily, “don't put the blame on yourself.”

He releases a short sigh, my words evidently having no effect on him.

“I'll try and talk to him about your grade. You should find a new partner... I'm really sorry, Youngjae.”

Daehyun schlepps out of the room, his eyes not even meeting mine for a split second. I step forward, wanting to chase after him but falling back upon seeing him vanish.

This doesn't make sense.

Jongup and I went back home together after the episode, my mind reeling from what happened. Distracted, I barely paid attention to what Jongup was saying and we parted with him advising me to get more rest.

It's... unfair. I read through our essay several times, reading a few of the best reports Park-songsaengnim photocopied for the class. I concluded there was no way we could flunk so badly that we'd drop four grades from the average. I can’t say we were up there on the same level but we weren't too far off from the other students' standards.

Mortifying topic... I toss in my bed, having scanned through the report for the umpteenth time. I'm not the type to get hung up over scores but I can't forget the way Park-songsaengnim said those words. I'm have a feeling what he didn't like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter