Date (iii)

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Date (iii)
(triple update, 28, 29 & 30)

 

 

The car is already by the roadside, Daehyun again letting me in first before swinging in. Quietly, we sink back into cushion, the rose aurora still drifting around our heads. "Where are we going now?" I breathe softly, afraid to ruin the lingering delicateness. "Do I have to guess?"

The early night dwells on the city, light shimmering against the dark sky. Daehyun hums, saying, “The beach.”

“This late?” I laugh. The darkness is already drenching the air, lampposts all lit. “What shady business are you planning?” I wiggle my brows.

“Nothing, I swear,” Daehyun chuckles. He reaches for the front seat, hauling over a bag with a wafting, delicious scent. The car steadily going down the road combined with the green and red lights trailing over us creates an entrancing atmosphere just as precious as the rose garden from before. We leave our backpacks in the car, getting out.

The beach is devoid of people, a cool night breeze whooshing past us. The waves peacefully roll onto the shore, leaving wet trails in its path. I watch as the surface ripples under the moonlight, Daehyun’s near inaudible breaths a perfect complement to the tides.

"Shall we sit here?" I nod in reply, settling with Daehyun on the sand. He takes out the boxes of takeaway and I gingerly pry it open. A familiar scent permeates the salty, fresh air, bringing back fond memories. This is the meal we had at Coffee Cojjee, that time when we met by accident. We had both really liked Chen's cooking.

I've eaten so much today... Nevertheless, I hum in delight, prying it open enthusiastically for Daehyun to witness. He smiles, opening his and easily gorging down the egg above.

Silence twirls past us, only the call of the ocean b at our ears. Daehyun takes out the hoodie and drapes it over me, apologising when his fingers touch my shoulders.

"Thank you," I mumble, looking out at the watery ebony, "Daehyun... You don't have to say sorry for touching me. I won't distort your intentions." It's sad he has to be so cautious as though I'd be disgusted, knowing he likes a boy and thinking I may think he's coming on to me.

"...Okay. Thank you," Daehyun answers quietly. I have half a mind to tell him he shouldn't thank me—I’d be a monster to shun him for liking a guy—but I keep quiet. We sit there like this, slurping up our noodles and I giving some of my meat to Daehyun.

Daehyun has brought me to see so many enchanting things today. I owe him so much. So, so much, ever since the moment I met him.

"I kinda wish today would never end," I hum between bites. Daehyun looks over, lips curling.

“Me too,” he sighs, staring up at the starry night sky.

“Feels like we’re travelling. It really feels so liberating, so good,” I blather through munches. “Like we’re far, far away from school on a road trip.” I turn to Daehyun, beaming. “Thank you, Daehyun. I guess this is what wanderlust means.”

“I’m happy you enjoyed yourself,” Daehyun returns, pleased.

I put aside my food, quite bloated even though I’ve only finished half of it. Daehyun frowns in concern and I assure him by patting my belly, laying back against the cool sand. He eats up the last of his noodles, staring down at me and decidedly resting back.

Water splooshes against the shoreline, the sound calming and relaxing. I extend my arm, grasping onto nothing but still persistently clamping my fingers over the many stars. Daehyun chuckles and does the same.

“It’d be nice if we could just pluck a star like this,” I laugh, trying harder to reach out as though irrationally believing I’ll hold on to something.

“It’s kind of sad to be grabbing onto nothing,” I muse, pulling down my hand. Daehyun’s hand goes stationary at this moment, inert in the air.

Daehyun moves his arm slowly, retracting it as he brings it down. I watch as he uncertainly reaches over, hand above me. I questioningly chuckle, gently clasping on it and resting it on his chest before pulling away. I brush away the tingling sensation on my palm, opting to speak to squish the brewing foreboding in me.

“One day,” I declare, “you’ll find the right person for you, who will love you back with everything they’ve got. I hope that boy won’t make you wait too long and finally see you are you are. You deserve that much, Daehyun.”

“...You think so?” Daehyun lowly asks, hopeful.

I nod fervently. “Mm. If I ever find out who he is, I’ll make sure to tell him every single day of how amazing you are, so he’ll realise how great of a person you are.”

Daehyun grins, that same giddy smile that I always catch donning his face wondrously. He blinks slowly, murmuring, “What will you tell him?”

“Hm…” I mull. “Everything I know about you.” I snuggle back against the sand, calling in a deep breath, “Hey! To the boy who has Daehyun’s heart!”

“Do you know who Jung Daehyun is?” I holler, Daehyun muffling back a laugh. “He is one of a kind! You’ll never find another one like him even if you travel the whole earth. Trust me on that!”

“Jung Daehyun sings like an angel and draws like Picasso! He plays basketball and he composes songs! He knows how to play the piano too! I won’t be surprised if he tells me he knows how to fly!”

I smile, basking in Daehyun’s guttural laugh.

“Jung Daehyun has a heart of gold. He cares so much for his friends and when you’re with him, you’re bound to feel like you’re the entire world. He makes you believe that you can accomplish anything and he says it from the bottom of his heart!”

“Not to mention, Jung Daehyun is very, very handsome! So handsome he makes the hearts of ahjummas flutter!” Daehyun spurts out chortling at this moment. “But of course, what makes him is his invaluable personality. Jung Daehyun is the nicest boy alive!”

Daehyun really is the kindest person I’ve ever met. I’m going to admit that ever since that date with Minsoo, I haven’t been feeling like myself. I have been skipping meals ever since then, saying I’ve eaten a big breakfast to my friends when I don’t go for my breaks and ditching dinner altogether. Every night, I pushed myself and ran as far as I could around town, feeling like a failure when I stopped for breath. I have been weighing myself every morning, only to be disappointed to see no change in my weight.

And with just one day, no, less than twenty four hours, Daehyun has made me momentarily forget how much I lack. He… called me beautiful. I’ve never been called that before in my life. Thinking about how sincerely he’d said those deluding words coaxes tears from my eyes, as expected since I’m a wimp who gets worked up about these kind of things.

“Do you need proof, mystery boy?” I hum loudly, filling up the sudden pause I’d created thanks to my musing.

“Today, Jung Daehyun made me feel like someone worthy. I’m nothing close to being good enough,” I breathe, letting out a sigh, “but with him, I have the bravery to dream. To go forward and become a better person, because at this point, I don’t deserve the concern he’s showered on me, so… I want to be good enough to feel like I’m not wasting his time.”

I turn to Daehyun, managing out a watery smile. He’s already staring at me, eyelids drooping and lips parted. “Thank you, Daehyun,” I wheeze. “Sometimes, I just wonder what would have happened if I never met you. I would have missed out on so much.”

Daehyun mouths words silently, before finally settling on breathing, “Youngjae…”

A suspenseful silence follows, Daehyun’s pupils darting around. His eyes turn misty, as though lost in a trance. “I…”

I wait patiently, discreetly enjoying Daehyun’s warmth. Daehyun’s adam apple bobs up and down and he tries again. “I……”

Nothing leaves his mouth even though he moves his lips. I quietly gaze at him, awaiting his words. Daehyun shuts his mouth, swallowing hard and coughing.

“Thank you,” he says back conclusively. “Thank you for coming into my life.”

The indecipherable chatter of a passing couple far down on the sidewalk catches our attention, I looking up at the teenagers. I pat him on the shoulder, sitting up. The sea looks so mesmerising at night.

“Do you want to take a walk?” I ask. Daehyun nods and we rise to our feet. We walk along the shoreline, shoes sinking into the sand. If I could, I’d never want this to end. Just stroll here to an infinite end with Daehyun in tranquility.

“Last time, by the river, you told me a story,” I breathe, recalling our episode by the stream with the folded paper boats. I shrug off Daehyun’s jacket, decidedly hanging it over him and assuring him I’m not cold. I am, but I really need to be stronger; I can’t even brace the weather, tsk.

“...Should I tell you another one?” Daehyun hums, to which I nod excitedly. The waves seep past our soles as we continue trekking down.

“Once upon a time, there was a sparrow who did not know how to fly. All of his friends had learnt how to fly except for him. He was scared to learn because he didn’t want to fall. He had short wings and was frail and small, unlike the rest.”

This story… I turn to Daehyun with an amused, surprised smile. I’d been surprised someone actually read that initiative I made last year as encouragement for our finals, The Little Sparrow, but for someone to actually remember it is touching.

“Feeling sad, he decided to go for a walk. He went to a park and met a baby squirrel. The squirrel tried to climb the tree again and again, reaching for the acorn, but he kept losing his grip and falling on his bum. The sparrow told him that it was futile and he might as well not try since he would not make it because he was such a small squirrel. The squirrel replied, “How would I know if I can or cannot if I don’t try?””

The waves splash against our shoes, Daehyun’s voice a sweet lullaby. His future children will be so blessed to hear him tell them bedtime stories.

“The sparrow hopped away and bumped into a blind mole. He was searching for grub, blindly grabbing at everything he walked into. The sparrow said, “Why do you bother looking for food when you cannot see?” The mole answered, “There are more ways than one to search for food, even without my eyesight. Besides, I cannot just give up—else, I’ll starve to death!””

I laugh as Daehyun exclaims, the night serene as we continue to amble.

“Then, the sparrow climbed into a house and met a kitten who was trying to climb its way out of its pen. The cat said that it wanted to watch the movie playing on the television; she was staying at her owner’s friend’s house and back in her own house, they did not have a TV. The sparrow told her to save her energy as she was too short to climb out but the kitten was adamant, saying, “If I don’t see it today, who knows when I’ll ever be able to get the opportunity again?””

“Afterwards, the sparrow went to a garden. He came across a small sprouting plant beside a huge shrub. The plant kept reaching upwards, trying to get sunlight. The sparrow said, “The shrub is so much bigger than you. It will take a long time for you to reach its height.” The plant answered, “Even if it takes a long time, I can’t just sit here and mope. Nothing will happen if I decide to stay this short.””

As Daehyun recounts the familiar story to me, I sink into a dawning realisation. First, the squirrel at the park. Next, the blind mole. Then, the kitten who wanted to watch the movie, and now, the plant in the garden.

It’s parallel to our journey tod

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter