Same but Different (i)

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*triple update from chap 70 (´・ω・`)

 

 

Same but Different (i)
(triple update, 70, 71, & 72)

 

 

Sunshine peeks through the glass windows of the train, slipping between the throng of commuters. Along with it, coffee wafts through the morning air amidst the suited workers, some with newspapers in their hands while others listen to yesterday’s love songs. The announcement plays overhead and the doors close behind me.

I stand between them with an eager smile pressed back. I type out a message to Daehyun.

I just boarded the train. Last carriage, like we agreed. :>

The train begins moving out of the station. In a minute or so, Daehyun replies. Okay. :> I’m ready. :>

I muffle back a laugh. Hmm… are you copying me? :\

No. I would never. :\

I roll my eyes in amusement, typing back a reply. I don’t believe you. >:(

Daehyun texts me back a simply emoticon. <:(

Another message tails it almost immediately. See, it’s different.

What kind of face is that? I message back, pressing a hand over my mouth to contain my chuckles. Hearing the little jingle, I type, I’ll tell you when the train enters the station.

Okay. <:)

It always amazes me how a person like Daehyun can have this side to him. As the train pulls into the platform, I send Daehyun another message. I’m here! Get on this train.

The train slows to a stop gradually, giving ample time for Daehyun to receive and read my text. The doors slide open and most of the passengers sweep out, Woonmyung station being the last stop for the red line. Some people take the train back to Woonmyung so they can get seats if they have a long journey ahead, which is what I’m doing.

I get a seat as people fill the carriage, lighting up when I spot Daehyun’s face. He’s looking around too and I wave at him, his eyes finally catch mine. It’s natural for us to both dissolve into silly smiles as we come face-to-face, the grogginess from six-thirty mornings still lingering.

Daehyun takes the seat I saved for him and gazes at me for a moment, incandescence b in his gentle smile. He finally says, “Hello.”

“It’s a little late for that, don’t you think?” I return cheekily, leaning back into my seat.

Daehyun purses his lips and thinks to himself. He suddenly extends his index finger, bringing them up over his eyes in the shape of an overturned ‘V’. I stare at him blankly before I realise he’s trying to imitate his weird emoticons from before.

Biting back a laugh, I shove Daehyun, him grinning widely when he sees he’s made me laugh. He sets his bag down on his lap and pulls out his team jacket, draping it over me. Daehyun brings it every day despite him being someone who can stand the cold well. Since I leave my jacket in the locker, he brings his just in case I need it on the way to school or back home.

His printed name over the jacket gleams underneath the cabin lights. Daehyun says, “It’s chilly today. Remember to wear your jacket to assembly.”

“Okay. Thank you,” I softly answer, familiar warmth tickling at my cheeks. “Have you eaten breakfast?”

“Mm. I was really hungry so I ate two bowls of cereal.” Daehyun pats his stomach. “What did you have?”

“An apple,” I hum. Daehyun immediately furrows his brows and I hastily assure, “I’ll eat more later. I just wasn’t hungry.”

Appeased for now, Daehyun rolls his lips in and says, “I wish my stomach was yours, so you’ll eat more.”

“Woah. That means I’ll have abs,” I whistle with glee.

Daehyun amusedly regards me, asking, “You like abs?”

“Yeah. They’re y.”

Daehyun purses his lips with a playful look, “So… you think I’m y?”

“Your abs are y,” I correct, pretending to scrutinise his face. “If you looked like Jay Park, you’d be fully y.”

Daehyun widens his eyes and mumbles, “But I’m your boyfriend.” A subtle sulk makes its way onto his face and I chortle, leaning slightly against Daehyun.

He looks around and tilts his bag to lie down, slipping his arm discreetly under my jacket. His fingers nervously hook mine and he breathes, "Sorry." My laughter wanes away into a warm blush, my hand clumsily intertwining with his.

“I guess I’ll always lose to Jay Park,” Daehyun remarks softly, drawing circles into my palm.

“I prefer handsome to y,” I tease. I glance around and move our interlocked hands over just in case someone sees.

Daehyun’s lips quirk mirthfully and he breathes, “…And I prefer pretty.”

The train tracks rattle noisily below us as sunshine flickers past. It’s been a little over a week since Daehyun and I started going out. As we’re in different classes, we spend our mornings together by going to school together. If we’re free, we have lunch or dinner together. Sometimes, Daehyun’s the one waiting for me to end classes and on other days, I’m the one waiting for him.

Our journey in the mornings used to go like this: Daehyun will board the train at Woonmyung station and I’ll get on at Daeyoung station (the one after Woonmyung), taking the train to Junjin station before changing to a different line. We scrapped that idea because I got on the wrong train that came just a minute earlier than the train Daehyun was on.

It was such a hassle for us that morning, having to drop at the next station just to be together. We were almost late since the next train took really long to arrive. Daehyun didn’t mind though, even suggesting we be late and get breakfast outside. I almost thought Jaebum possessed him. He used to say we should go get burgers whenever we were late in freshman year.

The morning after that, I had trouble getting on because so many people boarded the train. Luckily, I managed to squeeze in, but Daehyun and I couldn’t meet since he was stuck at the back while I was sandwiched at the doors. Daeyoung station is really busy so sometimes I’ll miss a train in the mornings as there’s not enough space.

Eventually, we decided that I would take the train towards Woonmyung station. Since Woonmyung’s the last station for that line, the trains heading there go back to Junjin. Daehyun and I can sit together and we don’t have to go through all the trouble like before.

Daehyun’s hand is warm. I snuggle into his jacket, getting used to the way my heart thumps so fast around Daehyun. Woonmyung station is nearer to Daehyun’s house, but he gets off at my station whenever we go home together just so he can walk me home.

“Your supplementary class ends at 5, right?” I hum. “I’ll wait for you at the canteen.”

“Shall we eat dinner after that?” Daehyun asks hopefully. “Or will it be too tiring?”

“Mm, no, that sounds nice. Do you think Junhong and Chen will give us another two-for-one discount if we eat at Coffee Cojjee?” I laugh.

“I’m not sure. I can’t tell if they like us or not, after kicking us out that time,” Daehyun chuckles, morning rays falling over his face beautifully. “I should have asked Junhong when I saw him yesterday.”

“You saw him? Where?”

“In the canteen. We have the same recess slot on some days,” Daehyun provides. “He didn’t see me though.”

“You always get to see him while I’ve only seen him a few times,” I lament. “I’m starting to forget he studies in our school.”

“He doesn’t look like he studies in our school,” Daehyun jokes. “I saw him lift part of his hair to show his friends his green hair underneath.”

“I’m going to scold him if I see him,” I sigh. Daehyun muffles back a laugh and squeezes my hand gently.

“…Like a Mummy,” he chuckles under his breath, unfortunately loud enough for me to catch. I squint at Daehyun and he looks back at me with a deer-in-headlights expression.

“So, we’re eating at Coffee Cojjee?” I ask, deciding to let it go.

“If you want. I’ll get takeaway for us and we can eat at your house?” Daehyun answers.

I tilt my head and remark, “Do you want to eat there? Or are you in a rush to go home?”

“No. I just thought you’d want to go home and rest since it's a long day ahead for you,” Daehyun says. He pauses and comments, “Also, we can’t go there anymore.”

I blink in surprise and blurt, “Why not?”

“You said L’s handsome,” Daehyun says, mustering a nonchalant expression. “So we can’t go back there.”

Stunned, I gape at Daehyun before smothering a laugh. “Gong Yoo-songsaengnim’s handsome. I guess I can never go to his class again.”

Daehyun’s brows nearly fly up to his hairline and he stares at me with surprise and disapproval in his eyes. “Gong-songsaengnim’s married. How could you?” He murmurs.

Whenever Daehyun makes a joke, it always becomes so much funnier because of the way he says it. If I were an acquaintance he was joking with, they would probably assume from his monotonous words that he meant what he said.

“I didn’t say I was going to date him.” I flash Daehyun a teasing smile and hum, “I only want to date the man I find the most handsome.”

Mirth radiates from Daehyun’s face and he tightens our entwined hands. “Who’s that?” He questions with a repressed smile.

I sigh with all the affection I can possibly channel into my voice. “Jay Park.”

Immediately, Daehyun’s smile falls and his nostrils flare offendedly. I end up falling into him from laughter, unable to get that funny face of his out of my mind. I wish I got a photograph of that. Daehyun is really too cute.

We lie against each other as our laughter withers away into the backdrop of conversations louder than ours. Our interlinked hands are still ensconced beneath Daehyun’s jacket. We have to whisper to one another when we talk about us, but it’s okay.

“Yongguk-hyung says we can meet him today,” Daehyun lightly says. He had suggested last week to tell Yongguk about our relationship and we decided to yesterday after getting more used to things.

“Oh,” I breathe, absentmindedly nodding to myself. Yongguk has been a good friend to us. Now that I know Yongguk knew who Daehyun liked, it’s hard to not see what he was trying to do whenever Daehyun and I were together. I remember when he tripped Daehyun and made him fall on me. He told me not to look too far when it came to finding love. How long ago was that?

Even though Yongguk’s always been supportive, I’m still nervous to tell him of us. Is it necessary to tell him or are we getting too ahead of ourselves? He might have just been teasing… No, Yongguk’s a good person. I shouldn’t speak ill of him like this because of my insecurities.

Daehyun notices my nervousness and soothingly my hand with his thumb.

“Don’t worry. He’ll support us,” Daehyun assures, his voice low and raspy.

It’s funny how both of us are in the same situation, yet Daehyun’s so calm and collected when it comes to things like this. I wonder if he’s afraid like me of people knowing about us. Of what might happen to him and me if people learnt two boys hold hands and kiss when no one looks.

Well, Daehyun has liked me for years. Maybe he’s used to it.

My heart sinks at the thought and I lean against Daehyun, erasing the moody thoughts for another day. I’m really happy that Daehyun and I are together but I always let sad thoughts intrude my mind nowadays. I get worried; I feel guilty; I become anxious. I fear for Daehyun most of all.

As the train enters a tunnel, our reflections splay out over the window opposite us. Daehyun beams at the view, his hand slowly tightening over mine.

“What are you happy about?” I ask, his joy stirring warmth in my tummy.

“Just... us,” Daehyun wheezes. He looks at me with a bashful smile, his eyes misting. “Freshman me wouldn’t believe you’re my boyfriend now,” he says lowly.

I fight back a blush and keep quiet, not sure of what to say. It takes me some time to muster with a shy laugh, “Even now, I can’t believe you like me.”

“Why? Is it because I’m CG, like you said?”

I’m reminded of the time Daehyun scored that three-pointer for his basketball finals, both of us eating dinner at my house. We melt into soft laughter and Daeh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter