Fool

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Fool

 

 

This week went by pretty fast. Since it's the first semester and the school got rid of the first assessment, there's much less pressure in the first quarter. I studied a couple of times with my friends at the library, staying back late... Truthfully, in hopes of catching Himchan.

He's avoiding me again. Every day, I message him, asking if he wants to have lunch together and that I'll wait for him since his classes end later. If I'm lucky, I get a reply saying he's busy. Other times, he doesn't even read my KakaoTalk messages.

The fact that these five days flew past so quickly is so terrifying. I'm running out of time to spend with Himchan before he goes, but he's being so cold to me right now.

Did I do something wrong?

Did he not like the celebration?

What if I got him in trouble with his parents for throwing the party?

Jongup says Himchan has been talking him for the past few days as usual, and in the glimpses I see of Himchan during our coinciding breaks, he's talking happily to his friends. Nothing seems wrong, except the fact he's so blatantly ignoring me.

Why is he avoiding me? It just makes my entire heart scrunch up to think about it. Does he not want to be friends anymore? Does he hate me?

I... just want to know why. If he doesn't want to talk to me anymore, I'll respect his wishes, but why does he avoid me so out of the blue?

This just reminds me of the last time Himchan avoided me. It was after he asked me if I would date a boy, and I told him yes, if I loved him. He stopped talking to me, even going so far as to ask Jongup if I was with him, before going to meet him.

The last time, I let the matter go because Himchan went back to his normal self in a few days. I passed it off as stress, even though I had initially thought he was weirded out by my answer to his question. Maybe he thought I was gay, but I know Himchan isn't homophobic. He isn't that kind of person to discriminate against anyone.

But as I rack my brains again and again, trying to find out what I had done to piss him off, I can only recall him running off abruptly after our tearful exchange. We hugged, I cried into his shirt and he kissed me on the forehead.

After that, he seemed quite listless but I thought he was just worn-out from how emotional we were being. And he just left. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye.

Was he weirded out by the kiss? Did he think I would interprete it wrongly? I feel so angry wondering if that had really happened, but I believe in Himchan. He's not that kind of . Right?

I prod at my handphone screen, sighing as I lay in bed while the Saturday sunlight falls through the window. Himchan hasn't even read my last message.

Hyung, do you want to go out this Saturday? I miss you. Text back when you can.

It feels weird waiting for Himchan to reply. He always answers almost immediately, and the longest he made me wait was an hour. What did I do, Himchan? Please just tell me. I'll fix it.

The 'read' notification suddenly appears beside my message and I fling myself up off the bed, nervously watching my phone. Will Himchan reply? Or is he going to ignore me?

My heart misses a beat when I see him typing. I lay back down and wait with bated breath, nervously twining with the ends of my baggy shirt.

My phone vibrates. I shoot up from the bed, staring intently at the new message.

Jae baby! Sorry, been busy lately. You still up for going out? Let's go to Coffee Cojjee. Dress up well, okay? I'm bringing you to a real nice place. See you in an hour~

It's almost natural to sink into a smile, hands hurriedly flying over my keypad. He said he was busy... I'm not going to harp on that because all that matters is that Himchan is okay with me.

Okay. ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

I scamper off the bed, hurriedly throwing open my closet to grab a nice shirt and jeans. My phone buzzes again.

Wow, this is one of the few times I've seen you used an emoji. Gross.

Without even thinking, I reply.

. That's because I'm really happy. ヾ(@⌒_⌒@)ノ I can't wait to see you, hyung.

The 'read' notifications appears and Himchan goes offline a moment after. I quickly shower, putting on a white top with black stripes and skinny jeans. I grab the beanie Himchan bought for me, stopping to consider taking the one Daehyun won for me but deciding against it.

I was so excited to see Himchan that I reached Coffee Cojjee earlier than expected, barely able to control my enthusiastic footsteps. I swing open the door, whiffing in the soft morning air dripping through the air-conditioning. I'm feeling so bubbly it's unbelievable. If only Himchan knew how much he meant to me...

Should I order first? Hm, no, I should wait; Himchan did say we were going somewhere else. I decided to settle down in a seat, and as I scour the café, I come across a familiar figure.

Daehyun... He's donning the blue cotton shirt from the night market coupled with white jeans and a black cotton mask. His arms so thick; he looks just like a model.

He's drawing in his sketch book again. Immediately, my instincts tell me to run up to Daehyun, but remembering what happened last time, I whip out my phone to text him first.

I see you! ( ̄▽ ̄)

I watch as Daehyun perks up, reaching for his phone. He simmers into a toothy grin, reading the message and typing for a really long time. When his fingers stop, I watch as Daehyun continues to stare at his phone. My phone buzzes.

What do you mean? Haha.

Huh, I thought he was typing something a lot longer. At this moment, Daehyun looks up and I duck behind a pillar, the customer near me sending me a quizzical look.

Another buzz. Are you at Coffee Cojjee?

Guess! I reply. You should put away your sketchbook first...

Daehyun instantly jumps at this, flipping his book close and scouring the café. I peek from behind the wall, giggling at how nervous he looks.

He begins to type on his phone. Is this a game of hide and seek? You're here, aren't you...

I smother back a laugh. Am I? You'll have to find me, wahaha.

I probably look like I've lost my mind, hiding behind a pillar in a café, but my childish self thinks that this is too fun to give up.

I see you're wearing that shirt I got for you! Are you spooked out, Mr. Masked Man?

As I send out that text, my phone vibrates.

Found you.

I look up and come face to face with Daehyun, smiling down at me in pure amusement. I blink at him as he waves lightly, and synonymously, we break out into laughter.

"I put away my sketchbook," Daehyun remarks, scratching the back of his head with a non-subsiding grin. I muffle back more chuckles, narrowing my eyes jokingly.

"And what's inside it? A map of the FBI headquarters? Counterfeit money? Or..." I draw out a figure of a voluptuous girl, winking.

Daehyun blushes and averts his gaze. Jackpot!

"It's just some random drawings," Daehyun mumbles. He meets my gaze and looks away again, this time smiling dizzily. "It's really nice to see you."

"It's your lucky day," I announce, patting his shoulder lightly. "Wow, the shirt looks really good on you."

"Thanks." His voice is muffled by the mask and I cheekily thumb the end of his covered chin, clicking my tongue.

"Why are you covering yourself up again? You, really... I'd die for a face like yours."

It's funny, now that I think about it. Himchan and Daehyun are both similar, being talented and handsome, but they have such different personalities.

"But you're such a beauty," Daehyun murmurs incoherently. I just barely manage to catch the last word.

Wait. Did I hear right?

"What?" I stammer, taken aback.

Daehyun stares at me, eyes large. "Fruity!" 

I recline as Daehyun abruptly gestures to the menu, nearly hitting me in the face.

"That drink. Heard it's too fruity. Sounds bad. H-have you tried it?"

Oh, okay... 

I turn to look at the board, seeing a promotion for a mango, blueberry and strawberry smoothie.

"I really like that drink..." I mumble.

"Oh," Daehyun returns awkwardly. "Sorry. Here, let me treat you."

"Daehyun, it's okay," I quickly say but Daehyun shakes his head, briskly walking up to the counter. I barely manage to grasp his sleeve, wanting to protest when we both set eyes on Zelo and Chen.

Their enlarged eyes are focused on us, grins so broad they look like the Joker. Woah, if that isn't a sign to step away, I don't know what is.

Abruptly, Zelo breaks out into a high-pitched giggle, sounding very deranged. He slaps Chen's arm and Chen slaps him back, both of them giggling like ladies from the 1950s. How long have they been staring at us?

"Can I get that?"

I hurriedly step in, cancelling Daehyun's order with a frantic wave. "Daehyun, I really don't need you to buy it for me."

Suddenly, Chen begins squealing in fervid excitement. Zelo muffled back a maniacal shriek behind his hand, eyes rolling all the way back as though about to keel over. Luckily, L comes over and steps on both their feet, the two baristas choking in pain.

"Sure. Name?" L asks, pulling out a cup and readying his marker.

"Youngjae-"

"Daehyun!" I exclaim, nodding as L looks up at me. "It's his drink," I say, pointing a little to Daehyun.

"Youngjae, I already have a drink," Daehyun says, chuckling. "Besides, you like this, not me."

"It's not my fault if you order something and you don't like," I return with a smirk. Daehyun gently pulls me forward as an elderly lady squeezes past us.

"You're gonna make me drink it?" He pouts a little, gesture completely contrasting his somewhat monotonous voice, and I laugh.

Zelo lets out a shrill squeak at this moment, patting his face and breathing hard. He starts flailing as Chen bites down on his lower lip, making contorted faces. This is getting weird...

"How about this?" L says, scribbling something on the cup. DaeJae. He shows it to us as we chuckle, nodding.

L smiles, the expression so rare I stop to stare. Zelo and Chen begin to tussle over making our drink, leaving the customer behind us awfully bewildered.

"They are getting weirder," I whisper with a laugh, Daehyun grinning in amusement. L manages to speedily make one while the two fight, battle cries resounding between them.

"Order for DaeJae!" L calls despite us already read to receive it. This is the first time I've seen him so lighthearted and joyous; it's nice to see this side of him.

"That's us," I play along with a laugh. Daehyun takes the drink and holds it out towards me expectantly.

"Daehyun-"

"It's a thank you gift," Daehyun quickly says. This boy...

"Shouldn't it be the other way round?" I reply gently. Daehyun has done so much for me. "You take it, Daehyun. Thank you. You're really sweet, you know that?"

"Youngjae," Daehyun begins, but suddenly, Zelo springs up from nowhere.

"Hi!" He begins giggling and having spasms, the sight quite disturbing. "Noticed you two have a little problem."

"Here!" Zelo prods another straw towards us. He watches expectantly as Daehyun chuckles, us meeting one another's gaze. He naturally nods and I mirror the gesture.

"Great," Zelo heaves, tone unusually airy as though the wind had been knocked out of him. Daehyun slips the straw in as Chen dashes over, wide eyes locking with mine.

"You should sit in his lap. To prevent neck straining," Chen hastily exclaims, nearly yelling at me. That was a... certainly intriguing suggestion...

"O-Okay," I laugh softly. Daehyun leads me to his seat and we place the drink in the middle.

"You first."

"You bought it, so you should try it first," I tease. Something about being with Daehyun just makes me happy. Maybe it's his kind eyes, or his low, monotone voice, I don't know.

"How about together?" I laugh, knowing what would happen if I were to argue with Daehyun. Daehyun nods and we both take the straws, sipping at the same time.

"How is it?" I ask, looking up to find Daehyun's eyes already on me. Daehyun swallows, looking back down at the drink. Our position is kinda awkward; both of us have to lean over since the straw is so short, and our faces are kind of close.

"Too fruity?"

Daehyun shakes his head. "No, it's... just right."

"Good. You should drink the rest then."

Before Daehyun can protest, I push the drink towards him.

"Are you waiting for someone?" I ask, glancing out for any sign of Himchan.

"No. Are you?" Daehyun prods over the drink, clipping the straw near the tip. He extends it towards me.

"Yeah, my friend," I reply, sneakily prodding the straw back.

"I won't drink it," Daehyun says, smiling a little. "It'll go to waste." He prods the straw between his two fingers towards me again.

I sigh, acquiescing and leaning forward. My lips accidentally brushes Daehyun's thumb and I blubber out an apology through my sips, taking the drink from Daehyun's hands.

We slip into another silence, Daehyun playing with his fingers while I slurp at the smoothie. “I’m excited for tomorrow. I can’t wait to see what the drama club has in store for us.”

I put down the drink, smiling. “Sorry, do you mind if my friend comes along? He asked me first but I turned him down; he’d get mad if I showed up.”

“Sure,” Daehyun croaks, patting his thumb slightly.

"I honestly want to know what you're hiding in there," I laugh, gesturing to Daehyun's sketchbook peeking out from his bag. "Is it your mystery woman?"

Daehyun stares blankly at me and I teasingly smirk, snickering behind my palm. "So it is! That's so romantic."

I'm really curious as to who Daehyun likes. So far, no one seems to know, not even Daehyun's close friends. Is she from another school? Another city, maybe? Or even from a different country... She doesn't seem to be anyone near us.

Daehyun continues to stare down at his hand, keeping silent.

"You're really sweet," I remark, tilting my head one side and sighing in wonderment. "She must have saved an entire country in her previous life to be loved like this."

I cheekily tap my chin and ask, "Hey, can you give me a hint? What's the first letter or her name? Or is that confidential too?"

Daehyun stares at me and folds his lips. "Y," he breathes out, graphite-stained fingers brushing against his sleeves.

That's a bit tough to guess. I probably know only half of the people Daehyun knows. "Another hint?" I jest.

"That person likes... designing," Daehyun hints, inciting my interest.

A fashion designer? An interior designer? Oh, so many questions, so little answers.

"Do I get another hint?" I laugh, prodding at my forehead. Daehyun coughs, small smile adorning his cheeks.

"What do I get in exchange?" He asks.

I pout, tapping my chin in thought. "What do you want?"

Daehyun stares at me for a long while. "Go... out with me," he mumbles.

I blink at him, cheeks unconsciously flushing. "That's it? Aren't you going to ask for a favour or a present?"

He says it like we haven’t gone out together before. Well, I guess all the times we did go out were mainly because of the project… or due to coincidences, like that time we met in Coffee Cojjee and when Daehyun happened to pass by the shop I always get my jajangmyun from.  We haven’t officially gone out together, pre-arranged.

Daehyun shakes his head. I squint at him and ask, “What do you need me to accompany you for? Is it something illegal?”

Daehyun shakes his head more furiously this time. “Just a normal outing. As friends.”

As friends? Did he think I would misunderstand that we were going out more than… friends? No, no. He probably thought I was thinking he wanted to, I don’t know, buy drugs with him or something.

Why did I even think he’s trying to clarify anything romantic between us in the first place?

“I expected something taxing, Daehyun,” I laugh. “I would have agreed regardless.”

Daehyun’s lips curl. “So, fair trade?” He muses.

I chuckle softly. “Yeah. You can claim a date from me anytime you want.”

I anticipatedly wait for Daehyun’s hint, instinctively leaning forward. He looks at me for a moment before inhaling deeply.

“The last hint is that,” Daehyun pauses, glancing to me again and decidedly straightening his back, “the person…”

Silence overcomes us as I patiently wait for Daehyun to gather his words. Now I feel bad; I’m forcing him to tell me about his crush. How rude.

“The person I like… is a b-”

“Youngjae!”

I turn my head to see Himchan scamper in, hair slightly dishevelled from his running. He’s wearing a light blue dress shirt wit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter