Starting to Heal

Why Can't Anyone See Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun stood in front of the full body mirror that hung on the inside of the closet door in the room that had now become his own. He stood in his new pair of black pants with a red shirt in one hand and a blue shirt in the other. Blue or red, blue or red; he asked himself holding the shirts against his chest in front of the mirror. Suddenly the door to his new room creaked open.

“Baek” Chanyeol’s deep voice said in a questioning tone causing Baekhyun to turn at look at the other. In less than a minute Chanyeol had crossed the room and Baekhyun felt the other’s warm arms around him as he was pulled against Chanyeol’s chest. “Everything is going to be fine” Chanyeol assured and Baekhyun was grateful that the other could read his emotions so well.

“What if seeing me after all these years is just a disappointment” Baekhyun asks needing Chanyeol to be his voice of reason.

“You saw how happy the one uncle who isn’t related to you by blood was to see you the other day, I’m sure your other uncle will be just as happy if not more when they get here” Chanyeol says reassuringly as Baekhyun feels small circles on his lower back and slowly thinks back to a couples day back.

~Flashback~

Baekhyun couldn’t help the smile that stayed in place on his face throughout the meal that he shared with Chanyeol. The hat that was sitting snug on his head, a reminder of the events that had lead up to the meal and the absolute feeling of some strong emotion between him and the other male across the table from him. He snuck a small peak at the other as he lent forward to take another bite of his meal.

“B..Baekhyun” a voice called his name causing Baekhyun to look up from his meal. The sight in front of his eyes caused a vice like grip to squeeze at his heart. “Oh my goodness Baekhyun it’s you, I never thought I would see you again” the person who had said his name adds as a couple tears feel from his eyes. No way, Baekhyun thinks to himself as tears begin falling from his own eyes as well. Baekhyun feels Chanyeol’s hand on his own and takes in a shuddering breath.

“U..u..uncle D..d…donghae” Baekhyun asks as his uncle comes closer to him.

“Oh Baekhyun” his uncle says before enveloping Baekhyun in a hug. Baekhyun wraps one arm around his uncle crying into his chest while still holding onto Chanyeol’s hand with his other hand. “Baekhyun” his uncle repeats his name pulling back and gently wiping Baekhyun’s tears from his cheeks. Baekhyun looked up into his uncle’s face and is filled only with wonder.

“W..what are you doing here my d.. he said that you guys moved away” Baekhyun asks catching his tongue before he can say the word dad because it just doesn’t seem to fit the other man anymore. Perhaps, he reasons with himself, that title hasn’t fit him for a while now.

“It’s just a couple of hours away from here. My friend you remember Heechul, well he’s having a birthday party so I came out this way. I was actually shopping when I thought I spotted you through that window over there and decided to come check it out. I’m so glad that I did” Donghae says, smiling down at him.

“I am too” Baekhyun says wiping away at a stray tear. A small comforting squeeze to the hand that Chanyeol holds reminds Baekhyun of the others presence and for a split second he feels fear fill him at being discovered, but the worry quickly melts away when he meets his uncle’s smiling face again. “Would you like to join us” Baekhyun asks motioning to the empty seat beside him.

“I would love to” Donghae says and then Baekhyun watches as his uncle looks around the small restaurant for a second. “Is your father here” his uncle asks and Baekhyun realizes that's who his uncle is looking for.

“No” Baekhyun says looking back down at his meal feeling different emotions conflicting within himself. A second comforting squeeze to the hand makes him lift his head and meet Chanyeol’s loving gaze.

“I’m sorry to interrupt your meal” Baekhyun hears his uncle say as he pulls a chair out for himself and sits down beside Baekhyun while looking over at Chanyeol with a friendly smile.

“Chanyeol this is my Uncle Donghae, Uncle this is Chanyeol” Baekhyun introduces the two and feels Chanyeol’s warm hand leave his own to shake hands with his uncle. “Chanyeol is my boyfriend” Baekhyun says admiring the way that Chanyeol's chest puffs up slightly in pride at the title.

“Oh Baekhyun” his uncle says after he finishes shaking Chanyeol’s hand and wraps his arms back around Baekhyun in a hug. “If I recognized you through those windows anyone else can, should we move” his uncle asks and Baekhyun knows that the other is worried about only one person finding out; The same person that he had worked so hard to keep his true self from, but had ended up finding out anyway.

“He already knows” Baekhyun says quietly reaching over to grab his water and feeling sympathetic gazes coming from both of the other men at the table.

“Do I dare ask” Donghae asks in a whisper and Baekhyun watches as his uncle looks over at Chanyeol as if knowing that talking about what had happened still hurts too much.

“My family and I are very honored to have Baekhyun at our house with us” Chanyeol says recapturing Baekhyun’s hand within his own and smiling at him before meeting Donghae’s gaze. “I just want you to know that I love your nephew very much sir and although coming out has cost him a great deal I feel truly blessed that he put himself at risk by doing all that he has done to be with me and I will never betray the trust he has in me” Chanyeol says and Baekhyun can tell that every word the other says is true because of the sincere look on Chanyeol’s face as he looks at his Uncle Donghae. He said that he loves me, a small voice in his head shrieks as it runs around in victory laps around his mind.

“Well I’m glad that Baekhyun has someone like you in his life now” Donghae says to Chanyeol with a small nod of his head. Just then Baekhyun hears a small chime sound coming from Donghae who quickly pulls out his cell phone. “It’s work, I better take this” he says before standing up and walking away.

“Your uncle seems really nice, how is he related to you” Chanyeol asks before picking up a fork full of food and chewing on it as if he hadn’t just made tons of promises to the other’s uncle mere seconds before.

“Umm he’s married to my mother’s brother” Baekhyun says answering Chanyeol’s question while half of his mind is still stuck on the fact that Chanyeol said that he loved him.

“He looks really happy to see you, have you not seen them for a while” Chanyeol asks before taking a second bite of his meal.

“The last time I saw both of my uncles was at my mom’s funeral” Baekhyun admits softly. “Mom was the only reason I got to know my uncles. My father never really got over the fact that they are who they are” Baekhyun says.

“I’m sorry Baek” Chanyeol says reaching over and again holding onto Baekhyun’s hand atop the table.

“It’s not your fault” Baekhyun says with a smile to the other.

“Baekhyun I am so sorry to leave so suddenly, but I guess my work never received the last report I emailed over this morning so I have to head back over to Heechul’s to resend it. I am going to call Eunhyuk later after his conference is over and let him know everything. He stayed at home because he has a major project at work till Friday, but I’m sure he will want to get together this weekend, ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter