Want to!!!

Why Can't Anyone See Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Awww you sure showed him Tao” One of his goons chirps from his left. Did you have to though, his meek inner voice asks.

“You really taught him dude” Another chirps as to not be outdone by the other members of the group. Was it a lesson you really had to teach, his inner voice questions.

“He won’t be doing anything that stupid again” Someone else joins in. What, walking into someone, he wonders internally, when has that become a crime?

“Knowing that stupid fool he probably will” A mocking voice jumps in from his right causing everyone to bust into a chorus of laughter. Joining in with the others in the laughter to keep up his image, Tao leads the way into the cafeteria.

The table is filled in silence beside the nasty noises of sloppy eating. Staring down at his food Tao reflects on his actions and tries to reason with his internal self. You didn’t have to hurt that little guy, his internal voice reasons. I had to, another reasons, everyone was there so I really did have to, he tries to convince himself. I didn’t have to this morning because it was just he and I, but I had to just now because everyone was there, judging me, watching me, I had no other choice, he argues stabbing the diced fruit in his fruit cup. A vibration from his pocket draws Tao out of his internal struggle. Grabbing onto his phone he read the screen, *One new message*, he read before opening the message.

Do you want to come over to my house later, we can do whatever you want. Psssst. I like it better when my panda smiles. :) -<3Kris<3

Tao’s heartbeat sped up as he read the message from Kris. On the inside he was jumping up and down squealing on the outside, however, he kept up his image and just sat blank faced before typing a reply.

But my mama is supposed to be home tonight. :( :( :( -KungFuPanda

Tao calmly finished his fruit cup waiting for his phone to vibrate, the incident from earlier no longer at the forefront of his mind.

Don’t worry than silly. Enjoy your mom tonight and then if you want you can come over to my place tomorrow. :) I miss you panda. -<3Kris<3

The rest of lunch flew by with the boys around him talking about too much about math homework and how much they couldn’t stand the English teacher. The only though, Tao had as he mindlessly nodded his head and added small complaints was how much he wished he could be with Kris instead.

When the final bell rang Tao quickly packed up his bag, If I hurry maybe I can be with Kris for a while at our secret spot before I have to go to practice, he thought to himself as he waked towards the door.

“Dude wait up” One of the Wushu guys shouted as he grabbed onto Tao’s bag.

“What’s up” Tao asked giving the guy a cold look, hoping he would spit out whatever he had to say, so that he could go be with Kris.

“Oh, coach asked me to find you and let you know that you had to go talk to him before changing for practice today” the guy says nervously shifting his weight from one foot to the next. “Hope it all works out, bro” he says running off to a group of giggling girls down the hall. Ugg, just my luck, Tao thinks as he walks further into the school, away from the grass and trees and most importantly Kris.

When he rounds the corner of the building his gaze falls on the coach’s door, giving it a small knock, Tao opens the door. “Coach, I heard you wanted to speak with me?” Tao asks keeping his cool image, but being respectful at the same time.

“Aw, ZiTao, I’m glad you are here. I was looking over the upcoming competition list” The coach said looking up at Tao as if to gage his response, Tao nodded his head to show that he was listening. “Well there is a new category opening up, for the years previous only, Seniors were allowed to partake in the hand to hand competitions, however…” he said pausing for effect, “they are opening this category up to Juniors as well.” He looked up with a large smile on his face, like he was delivering the best news. Tao cleared his throat.

“Ummm, sir, I don’t really see how this affects me” Tao said politely, “I prefer the individual performance acts, they are my specialty” Tao said boasting slightly.

“Well of course you can still partake in those events Tao, but I have already signed you up for all the available competitions this season so you have to do it. I've expected you to be more excited about this, maybe I’ll have to ask someone to take your place next season, you can go get changed for practice now” the coach said turning to the computer on his desk.

“Uggggg” Tao screamed once he walked a ways away from the coach’s office, as he kicks the locker in front of him. Why, he questions sliding his back down the lockers till he is seated down to the floor back and head leaning back against the lockers behind him. I’ll have to hurt people if I do this, his inner voice whines. You have no choice, another voice argues, you have to do it, coach said so. Reluctantly, Tao rose to his feet and started to walk towards the dressing room, looking down at his feet as he walked, what will Kris think of me when I am purposely hurting others, he questions himself.

About a minute away from the locker room he feels a soft body bump into him and a small clatter as something falls to the ground. Am I a walking magnet attraction collisions, Tao wondered to himself as he turns around, the sight he sees shocks him. “What the….. again, seriously?” He voices aloud, causing the boy to quickly scamper to his feet.

“I’m really sorry Tao” the shorter male says, staring up at Tao with wide eyes. Tao scans his eyes over the tiny guy and notices the slight shake of his knees. Look what you have done to him, his inner voice scolds, you have become what you most despise. Remember when it was you cowering in fear, his inner voice asks, now you are forcing other to live out that torment?

“Yeah, me too” Tao whispers aloud, meeting eyes with the shorter guy. Threaten then let him go, he reminds himself, nobody is around so he can go free. “Well you know what this means right” Tao asks staring down his nose at the shorter. Don’t worry I really don’t want to hurt you, Tao thinks, wishing to calm the boy’s shaking which only worsened.

“You don’t have to Tao, I won’t tell anyone” The little guy voiced. Don’t have to, Tao’s inner voice roars, what would this little pipsqueak know about the difference of having to do something and not having to do something. I don’t want to do the one on one portion of competitions but I have to, I don’t want to be an evil intimidating bully but I have to be, and  I don’t want to lie to my mother about why I make her drop me off away from the school but I have to, he battles inside his mind.

“Don’t tell me what I do and don’t have to do” Tao says aloud anger spilling from every word. I don’t have to hurt you little guy, but guess what I want to, Tao thinks as he trusts his fist straight into the squishy part of the smaller boy’s chest. Anger fully controlling his actions, Tao firmly placing his hands on the smaller boys shoulder, keeping him upright as he propels his knee into the previous spot. “You probably shouldn’t move for a little while” Tao whispers in the boy’s ear maniacally before releasing his hands and lets the boy’s weak body fall to the floor. “Bye-bye” he says to the crumbled heap. As small wave of laughter slips from Tao’s lips as he walks away, his anger subsiding only to be replaced with regret.

Practice passed quickly after the couch decided to announce Tao’s exciting news. A couple of the guys cheered for him and a couple even went so far as to clap him on the back or give him a light punch in the arm. Tao could tell that he had become elevated even higher among them which would mean that more would feel threatened and he would have to act even tougher to maintain his place. After practice Tao walks the short distance between the school campus and the mall, where he has work.

Upon arrival Tao slowly twists the combination on his locker. Once it swings open he folds his jacket and places it inside. He pulls out his phone from the front pocket of his jacket to check for messages before he has to leave it in his locker during his shift. His heart skips a few beats as he sees the new text message sign blinking across his screen. He unlocks his phone and scrolls threw the two new texts from Kris.

I missed you after school. I know you are really busy so I’m not mad, don’t worry! Maybe tomorrow? -<3Kris<3

Tao smiled at his phone before opening the next message.

Have fun with your mom tonight, I love you! -<3Kris<3

Tao sighed as he holds his phone against his chest with a smile conquering his face. Kris makes everything better, Tao thinks to himself as he locks his phone away inside his locker, sour mood dissolving.

“Hey Tao” a coworker says sticking their head inside the lounge, “They are looking for you back in storage, guess you are supposed to be setting up the new displays today or something” she says before shutting the door.

“Okay, Thanks” Tao says to no one in particular as he heads out of the lounge. Once inside the storage room, Tao spots the plans for the new display for children’s clothes and swiftly gets to work. He unloads the shirts and shorts from the boxes, sorting them first by design then by size. Choosing a couple outfits he dresses the mannequins and then carefully carries them to the children’s section of the store where he places them beside the empty shelves. After a couple of trips back and forth between the storage room and the children’s section, Tao has all the cloths out near the display. Taking his time he carefully folds each item of clothing and then places it on the desired portion of the display. After two hours or so, Tao takes a step back and smiles at his masterpiece, perfect, he thinks to himself internally patting himself on the back.

“Great job Tao” his manager says as he softly claps Tao on the shoulder, “it looks great son” she adds giving him a small smile.

“Thanks Ma’am” Tao says, pleased by the complement

“You’ll have to come in and set up all the displays, you truly are the best we have” she said giving him one final pat on the back before walking away. One more thing that I have to do, Tao thought bitterly as he walks back towards the lounge to clock out. Grabbing his coat and phone, Tao quickly leaves the store and walks the distance to his house.

Once home, Tao walks straight towards the kitchen and starts preheating the oven. After cleaning and chopping a few vegetables he places them into a pan with a chicken b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter