Family-ish

Why Can't Anyone See Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Alright you two, rise and shine” Baekhyun hears a female voice order before sunlight starts to flutter across his face. Groaning a little, Baekhyun rolls around on the loud mattress until he is under his pillow.

“Noooo mom can’t we stay home today too” Baekhyun hears a deep, sleep filled voice ask. Wait a female voice and is that Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s sleepy brain begins to process before he finally jolts up into a seated position. The combination of getting up quickly and the movement of the air mattress beneath him causes Baekhyun to become light headed and dizzy.

“Take your time Baekhyun darling” Chanyeol’s mother says with a smile, “It’s really getting this one up that I’m worried about, the only time I didn’t have to cause an earthquake to get him up for school was when he would get up early to meet with you” she says with a small laugh as Chanyeol groans.

“I’m up, I’m up, please stop being so embarrassing mom” Chanyeol whines as he sits up in his bed. Baekhyun has to hold back a laugh as he sees the crazy bed head Chanyeol is sporting.

“Alright, I’ll leave you two to get ready but be warned I am armed with baby pictures if you are not downstairs dressed and ready for school in twenty minutes for breakfast” she says with a wide smile.

“Mooommm” Chanyeol whines as he playfully throws a soft pillow close to his mother. Baekhyun loves watching Chanyeol and his mother interact because they have such a close bond which he admires.

“Umm, ma’am” Baekhyun interrupts softly.

“Ahh, Baekhyun sweetie you are so polite. Why can’t you be more like him Yeollie, I bet he would never throw a pillow at me, why do I have such a bad son” She asks playfully.

“Sorry” Chanyeol says with a large smile on his face, appreciating his mother’s playful tone.

“Dear what do you need” Chanyeol’s mother asks giving Baekhyun her full attention.

“I umm, well I don’t have any clothes to wear today” Baekhyun answers awkwardly while winding a sheet through his fingers.

“Don’t worry, I washed what you came in for you to wear today and I thought maybe you and my silly son here could go to the mall today after school to get you a few things that can tide you over before my husband gets back from his business trip and can go to your house to get more of your things” She says quickly with a smile before walking out of the room. “I left your clean clothes in the bathroom when you are ready dear” she yells from the hall. Baekhyun stares at the now vacated doorway in shock. Why would she spend her money on me, she doesn’t even know me, she shouldn’t feel any obligation towards me, several voices inside Baekhyun’s head point out in confusion. Her husband is going to get my things, a separate voice says in shock, does this mean she is okay with me staying here, he wonders.

“Are you okay Baek” Chanyeol’s deep voice breaks through all the shouting voices inside Baekhyun’s head. Baekhyun shakes his head quickly.

“Yeah” he mutters in response.

“You look like a statue, I wondered if you had fallen back to sleep sitting up” Chanyeol says with one of his booming laughs as he stands up from his bed.

“No…I…Just” Baekhyun blabbers out still staring down at his hands.

“Mom’s a lot to take in right away, trust me I know” Chanyeol says with a smile as he walks to his closet and slides it open. “People say that I have a lot of energy, but I can never be that active right away” he says.

“No, your mom is amazing” Baekhyun says quickly.

“Hey don’t go trying to replace me” Chanyeol says with a crooked smile as he pulls a shirt off the hanger and tosses it over his shoulder.

“That’s not what I meant” Baekhyun complains as he struggles to get off the air mattress.

“Take my hands Baek” Chanyeol says. Baekhyun pauses in his struggles to grab both of Chanyeol’s hands and allow him to pull him to solid ground. “As much as I know you want to see my adorable baby pictures I would really like to get to breakfast before mom comes back to yell at me” Chanyeol says with a smile.

“Can…never mind” Baekhyun says as he walks towards the door.

“You can’t do that to me anymore Baek, tell me what’s on your mind” Chanyeol says. Baekhyun closes his eyes and feels a smile form on his face as he takes a deep breath.

“Can I have a hug” Baekhyun whispers.

“I thought you would never ask” Chanyeol breathes out near Baekhyun’s ear before he feels the other’s strong arms wrap around him. The warmth, the Chanyeol’s embrace allows Baekhyun to feel safe, to feel wanted, and most of all to feel loved.

“I love you” Baekhyun whispers out on instinct as he sinks further into the other’s warm embrace. Baekhyun feels light as he feels Chanyeol lays his head atop of his own.

“And I love you too Baek” Chanyeol whispers. “Alright no more distractions young man” Chanyeol says with a smile as he pulls away from the hug, “go get dressed” he adds. Baekhyun leaves the room closing the door behind him as he navigates his way towards the bathroom.

After closing the door to the bathroom, Baekhyun slides down the smooth surface and sits down on the cool tiled floor. He folds his legs and cradles them against his chest as he stares down at the pattern of the bathroom floor and he finally gives the many voices in his mind his full attention. Chanyeol’s hugs are the best, the first voice coos. Why can’t we just stay in Chanyeol’s arms all day long, it asks while sulking. You are so weak, a second voice sne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter