What are Friends?

Why Can't Anyone See Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing Xiumin notices once he walks into the lunch room is Suho and Lay sitting side by side at his lunch table. I thought it would just be a one day thing, an inner voice complains as he makes his way to his normal spot. However he can’t help but notice the small part of himself that is slightly pleased with the company at his table.

“Good afternoon Xiumin” Suho says with a smile as Xiumin sets his back down and sits down across from the other boy.

“How are you doing today Suho” Xiumin asks politely as he pulls his lunch bag out onto the table.

“Pretty uneventful so far” Suho replies with a small laugh. I wish I could say the same Xiumin thinks to himself as he flashes back to the incident with D.O. earlier that morning, but then he can’t help the smile that takes shape when he thinks of what happened with Chen because of it. “I made these for you as thanks, I hope you like chocolate chip” Suho says as he holds out a Tupperware for Xiumin.

“I can’t accept all these” Xiumin says as he stares down at the Tupperware filled with chocolate chip cookies that Suho had just handed him, “I didn’t do anything special to deserve them” he adds looking at the horribly bruised face of the other boy.

“Just think of it as a thank you for letting us sit here with you” Suho says with a shrug of his shoulder. “Plus in all honesty there aren’t that many in there, this guy forgot to set the timer for one of the batches and almost burnt my whole dorm down” Suho says before trying to muffle his laugh with his hand as Lay’s cheeks take on a pinkish tone. Xiumin can’t help but chuckle a little as well.

“He’s exaggerating” Lay says waving his hand pleadingly in front of him.

“Only a little bit” Suho says behind his hand to Xiumin. Causing them both to laugh a little more while Lay squirmed in his seat at the embarrassment. “I also really just wanted to make some cookies” Suho says as he grabs ahold of Lay’s hand letting the other off the hook, “your my friend so I thought I would bring you some” Suho says shrugging his shoulder before picking up his spoon. “You don’t have to eat them all. Share some with your family or Chen, there yours to do with as you please” he adds before putting some yogurt into his mouth. When Chen’s name is mentioned Xiumin can’t help but look over at the singers table but is surprised to find it empty. I haven’t seen Baekhyun or Chanyeol all day, Xiumin realizes as he looks back at the container in front of him.

“Thanks” Xiumin says softly as he moves the Tupperware onto the bench beside his backpack. When he straightens back up he notices Kai sitting next to him and unconsciously feels his lips curve up into a smile. He notices the empty seat beside Kai, I wonder what all happened with D.O., he thinks and opens up to inquire.

“Hey Kai” Suho says however and Xiumin reconsiders, closing his slightly opened mouth. As Xiumin watches he notices Kai give a slight nod of his head in acknowledgment however he can tall right away that something is wrong because Kai is nowhere close to his normal self. I wonder if D.O. is okay, Xiumin wonders for the second time.

“I had to invite a guy from my class to join us at lunch because I have part of our project due soon, so he should be here any minute” Lay says pulling Xiumin out of his stupor. More people, here, at my table, a small voice wonders in shock.

“You invited someone to this table” Xiumin finds himself asking aloud pointing at the table in front of him for clarification.

“Yeah” Lay says and Xiumin watches as the other boy grabs a water bottle from a struggling Suho and opens the top before passing it back to him. “Is that okay” Lay asks looking up as if noticing Xiumin’s tension. For some reason Xiumin finds himself shrugging in response.

“I invited someone too, but I don’t think he is coming” Kai says in a voice laced with something close to despair. Suddenly all the puzzle pieces come together, something happened between Kai and D.O.. He is shocked by his desire to comfort Kai, but doesn’t really know how to do it. His thoughts are interrupted when someone clears their throat behind him. He is shocked to find D.O. standing behind him. Although he had seen a totally different side of the other earlier in the day he can’t help but flinch away slightly just at the sight of the other.

“Umm is this seat taken” D.O. whispers pointing to the seat between Xiumin and Kai. Without hesitation Xiumin slides over, hoping not to provoke the other. D.O.’s rant from earlier plays in his mind and he reprimands himself internally for allowing himself to sit so close to Kai after he had been warned.

“No, no, here sit, please” Kai says moving some of his own belonging to make room for D.O.. Xiumin thinks it’s sweet how much happier D.O.’s presence makes Kai.

“Thanks” D.O. mutters as he sits in the seat next to Kai. Xiumin feels as if he is sitting on pins and needles as if something is going to happen with D.O. so near.

“Lay, Suho this is my… friend” Kai says. Xiumin notices the pause as if it lasts a life time. I wonder if Suho and Lay can hear the hidden truth in Kai’s words, a small voice asks in Xiumin’s mind.

“Umm hello, I’m D.O.” Xiumin is slightly surprised by the shy little wave D.O. gives. Who are you and what have you done with the D.O. I know, Xiumin thinks sarcastically. “I’m Kai’s, well, I’m Kai’s boyfriend” Xiumin hears D.O. says and then it is as if he enters some sort of limbo. All

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter