I Won't Give Up.

Why Can't Anyone See Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai woke up with a large smile plastered on his face despite the early hour. He is instantly flooded with memories from the night before flooding back to him.

~Flashback~

“Hey Kai you looked great today man, did you do a lot of extra practice over break?” a voice asked from beside him.

“No man I am just awesome” Kai says with one of his signature smiles to one of his team mates.

“Hey Kai” Lay says coming over to him, “You want to go grab a bite to eat or something now that practice is done?” he asked.

“Dude I wish I could, but I have to do a stupid group project tonight and tomorrow night so rain check?” he asked, hoping that he sounded believable about not wanting to do the project. I can’t wait to spend the afternoon with D.O., he keeps thinking to himself.

“Oh well that’s cool” Lay says quickly shrugging. Does he sound relieved that I said no, Kai thinks to himself. “I have to get some extra help on my math anyway.” Why does he sound so happy about getting tutoring, Kai again questions. “See you tomorrow” Lay waves as he heads out.

Kai finishes getting changed and leaves the dance rehearsal room. Trying to act as calm as possible so nobody is still in the school at this hour, questions him when all he can think about is seeing D.O. When he rounds the corner and walks towards the vocal practice room he halts outside the room as a beautiful voice softly emits from the room. Should I go in, he asks himself, no you dummy he will just be mad at you for interrupting him, a voice inside his head reasons. If he finds you stands all creep like hunched over the door he is going to think that you’re spying on him though, another voice says. He peeps his head in front of the little glass slit and sees more than one person inside the room so he decides to sit outside the room and wait.

About a half hour later Kai is about to fall asleep when the door opens to two chatting boys. The taller one lets out a pretty pitiful scream upon seeing Kai sitting outside of the room.

“What’s wrong Baekhyun?” D.O. asks looking terrified until he spots Kai with a startled look on his face. “Oh don’t mind that thing Baekhyun, it’s that stupid project I told you about.” D.O. says turning his attention away from Kai and focusing solely on the boy in front of him.

“I’m really sorry that I startled you Baekhyun, I’m Kai” he says waving his hand pathetically before adding, “I heard you guys singing and I didn’t want to interrupt you so I decided to wait out here, I am really sorry” he added again putting on a small smile for Baekhyun.

“Well thanks for not messing up our practice, next time quietly sit on one of the chairs inside the room though I don’t want to mess up my voice before the first concert” Baekhyun said somewhat bitterly.

“There will be no next time” D.O. said through gritted teeth.

“Well I’ll leave you two alone” Baekhyun said with a little wave to both boys before walking away.

“So you have to come watch me at my play basketball, then we are going to go eat some fried chicken, my treat, the I am going to show you my great star gazing skills, and I approved it with the group, you are going to come watch practice tomorrow morning. Are you ready?” Kai asked hoping to not show the happiness he felt with the idea of having D.O. around.

“Let’s get this thing over with” D.O. says grumpily as he pushes past Kai and starts walking towards the door.

“Here give me that” Kai says grabbing D.O.’s very heavy looking backpack.

“It’s fine I’ve got it” he grumbles back.

“Nope I’ll carry yours today, I’m in charge” Kai says smugly smiling as D.O. hands the bag over.

“Fine but that means that you have to give me yours tomorrow, no arguments” he says with a look that peers into Kai’s soul.

Kai laughs hoping to bring the mood out of the depressed state it seems to be in. “So ummm I don’t play for a basketball team, I usually just go into the school gym and dribble around for a bit after dance practice.” Kai said leading D.O. towards the school gym. “I’m going to get changed, you could get changed too if you want we could play one-on-one” Kai said hopefully.

“No I’m fine right here” D.O. says patting a bleacher before taking a seat on it.

“Okay” Kai had guessed that D.O. wouldn’t want to join him but he couldn’t help hoping he might. As he got changed he gave himself a pep talk. Don’t be stupid, he warned himself, just pretend he’s not there, if you look over at him and trip because you are staring too long it’s game over you have no chance. With this in mind he stepped out into the locker room and smiled at D.O. briefly before focusing on nothing but the ball and the hoop. After about fifteen minutes he looked over at the bleachers where D.O. had been sitting and saw nothing. He left me, Kai thought devastatingly looking around the gym.

“Don’t look like such a lost puppy, I’m right here” D.O. said, pulling Kai from his sad thoughts. When Kai twirled around to face D.O. he saw that he had changed into his school P.E. uniform. “I got sick of watching you, and figured it would be more interesting if I joined in” D.O. said twisting a little bit of the fabric on his pants.

“Oh you think you can take me?” Kai said playfully tossing D.O. the ball and crouching down in front of him to guard.

“If I win, after this project is over, you have to stop texting me all the time.” D.O. said

“What if I win” Kai questioned keeping his eye on the ball.

“I might actually text you back” D.O. said slyly before running and putting the ball right through the net with a little swish.

“No fair I wasn’t ready” Kai said still in shock with D.O.’s reply.

“It counts buddy you better catch up first one to ten wins” D.O. said smiling cutely before handing Kai the ball and crouching down to guard him. What D.O. lacked in height he made up for in speed and dirty play, but Kai pulled out the win at the last minute. “Yes!!! I win, you have to text me back now, Yes!!” Kai yelled happily as the last ball swished into the net. Did he just smile about losing, Kai questions himself changing on one side of the locker room to give D.O. some space.

~End Flashback~

Kai stepped out of bed and stretched admiring a few bruises forming an his arms and one on his ribcage from a particularly strong elbow curtesy of D.O. Folding up a pair of black skinny jeans and a colorful tee, Kai placed them inside of a duffle bag to change into after practice. Before changing out of his pajamas, he grabbed his phone and sent a wake up text to D.O. to make sure he was really coming.

Rise and shine! –ArrogantDancingBoy

Placing his phone back on his nightstand Kai changed into a loss t-shirt and some sweat pants for practice. Grabbing his phone and walking towards the kitchen for some breakfast he read the reply from D.O.

Shut Up!!! –Beautiful

Better not let him see my screen name for him, Kai thought to himself as he made some toast and walked out of the house. As he made his way towards the school

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter