I've Got This

Why Can't Anyone See Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just a warning that later in this chapter there will be some swearing. I didn’t want to add it or offend anyone, but I don’t think it would be accurate without it. Sorry in advance!

Tao turned in his bed yet again. He stole a glance at his alarm clock and saw the bright 4:17 shinning out at him. Might as well just get up it’s not like I’m going to be able to get anymore sleep anyways, Tao thought bitterly as he sat up in his bed. Heaving a sigh, he stretched out his arms and legs, then stood up and did a couple extra stretches.

After grabbing a towel from the hall closet, Tao went into the restroom and twisted the knobs in the shower. As the room filled up with steam around him, Tao climbed into the shower and allowed the piping hot water to roll over his shoulders. Why am I so nervous about today’s events, Tao wondered as he placed his head against the cool tile wall. It’s because I don’t really want to do today’s one on one portion, Tao thinks bitterly, I usually go in so confident because I just have to count on my own skills and show off. I wish I didn’t have to go, Tao whines internally.

Once out of the shower, toweled dry, and dressed for school, Tao went straight to the kitchen and began to take out the ingredients needed to make some eggs, pancakes, and bacon. Tao turned the portable radio on low and started to sway to the music as he began to mix the ingredients and cook the food.

“Someone’s up early” A female voice says teasingly before warm arms wrap themselves around Tao.

“I couldn’t sleep that well” Tao admits to his mother as he scoops the last pancake onto a plate and turns off the flame. “Breakfast is ready, want to eat” Tao offered holding up the plate of bacon.

“Humm, everything looks delicious babe” his mom says with a smile as she pulls two glasses from the cabinet and starts to fill them with some orange juice.

“Thanks” Tao says with a smile as he separates equal portions onto two different plates.

“Are you worried about the match today” Tao’s mother asks after a couple silent minutes.

“A little” Tao admits. “Are you going to be able to make it ma” Tao questions to his plate, not really sure what it will do to his confidence levels if she says no.

“I’ve been picking up extra shifts, just so I can take the afternoon off. You know I love to watch you” she says with a pat to this hand. Tao felt warmth radiate throughout his body with Kris and his mother there, he thought, nothing can go wrong. “I can drive you to school if you’re ready to go in the next ten minutes” she offered as she carried her plate to the sink.

“Sounds great ma” Tao says as he copies her actions and then heads back to the restroom.

After brushing his teeth and combing his hair Tao heads back into his room to make sure he has everything he needs for the day. He spots the stiffed panda Kris had given him a while ago. An idea struck him and he walked towards his bed and picked him up. Holding the stuffed animal in one hand and his phone in the other he took a picture of himself and the panda.

“Tao let’s go babe” his mother called from the front room. Tao put the stuffed animal back on his bed and then ran to meet his mother. In the car, after putting on his seat belt, he pulled out his phone and composed a new message to Kris.

I’m a little worried about the match later. :( Oh, and Junior says Hi! –KungFuPanda

He hit send and then fiddled with the radio dial.

“I have no doubt that you will do great today love” Tao’s mother said as she pulled the car over to the curb, “Even if you don’t, I still love you” she added leaning over and planting a kiss on his check.

“Thanks mom” Tao said leaning over and planting a kiss on her check as well. “I love you” he said as he climbed from the car.

“See you later” she said with a little wave before driving away. Tao started walking to the school building and was happy to feel the vibration of an incoming text from his pocket. He instantly opened it and smiled as he read.

If anyone should be nervous it’s the guy that has to face you. Except don’t show him this picture because he’ll just want to cuddle you and then I’ll have to beat him up instead. :) Tell Junior I say Hi as well. -<3Kris<3

Kris’s text makes Tao feel warm inside, this new found warmth gives Tao strength and courage. With his newfound courage, Tao goes through the day as he would any other day trying to keep the thoughts of the upcoming match in the back of his mind. When the final bell rang Tao went straight to the locker room to change. Before moving to sit with the rest of the wushu guys to wait for the coach, Tao stole one last look at his phone.

I know you will do great! Your mom and I are here ready to cheer for you. I love you! -<3Kris<3

I’ve got this, Tao chanted to himself as he spun the dial to lock his locker. Tao approached to other guys.

“You ready to go out there and kill Tao” one of the guys asked.

“Tao’s got this” another guy says.

“Tao’s the best, just one look at him and the opponents going to be crying for mercy” someone on his right says.

“They’re going to be crying like that nerd that Tao has to teach on just about a daily basis” someone else chimes in and soon all the guys are laughing. Tao feels as if he is some sort of limbo as his nerves bubble and his confidence skyrockets before plummeting and then rising again.

“Alright ladies, the opponents look fierce, but we are in it for the win, right” the coach yells as he enters the locker room.

“Yeah” all the guys around Tao cheer before handing out high five left and right and soon Tao finds himself in the mist of the exchange as well.

The first events go by at a slow pace and Tao finds himself fidgeting more than usual. During the third event, Tao watches the guys showing off their skill in the individual round. I could have beaten every one of these amateurs, Tao thinks to himself as he watches the performers.

“And now the event you have all been waiting for” the announcer says into the microphone that projects throughout the padded gym, “the best of the best of the seniors and juniors will now go head to head” he says igniting the crowd. Tao looks up and locks eyes with Kris in the stands. Kris sends a smile and a small thumbs up his way. I’ve got this, Tao repeats to himself like a man

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter