17: Innocence

Tied To A Dino (My SLY Fox SEQUEL)

As soon as his car stopped in front of that certain house, Jonghyun wasted no time and he immediately went out of his car. His steps were big and continuous as he has his straight face on, as if he was going to a battle and whoever comes in his way will probably be thrown away. And when he reached the door, he didn't even bother to knock because it wasn't locked and he perfectly knows he was expected to arrive that night. He flung the door open and the people inside got startled because of his harsh action.

The girl there, which is Hyejin, immediately stood up from the couch she was on as soon as she recognized who came. It was like she was really waiting for him.

"Jonghyun, I'm so sorry.", that was the first that came out from her, as she came close to Jonghyun, looking at him with cautious eyes.

He ignored her and looked at Minki who was standing in a distance from him, observing what is happening. "Minki, go to your room.", he commanded coldly.

The boy's mouth opened to protest but seeing his scary eyes, he just ended up closing his mouth again and reluctantly obeying what he was told to do.

The moment Minki's room door closed, Hyejin held his arm but he caught her wrist and held it away from him, squeezing. "Do you know what you just did?!", he yelled, having tight jaws.

Hyejin's lips parted, hurting from his tight grip. She tried to pull her hand away but he won't let it go. "Jonghyun... it hurts.", she begged.

"Hurt? Have you thought of that before you came to my office and ruined everything? Before letting Yerin know about something that I should be the one telling her? Huh, have you thought of that?", he yelled.

Her eyes tightly closed, hurting physically and emotionally. She started to let out tears and sobs. "I-I'm sorry. I... I didn't know she would be there..."

Seeing her in a vulnerable state, Jonghyun managed to become considerate and he let go of her wrist after a harsh sigh. He looked up to the ceiling for a few moments, trying to keep himself calm, then he shot his eyes back to Hyejin.

"Then why did you even have to go there?"

Hyejin's head lowered, facing down and letting her tears drop on her hand massaging her hurting wrist. "I-It is Minki's request b-because you're not visiting him these past days. He's having serious tantrums that he never even did before and I do not know what to do so I just followed what he wants."

He held on his forehead. "How can you not know how to handle him? He's your son."

Hyejin's red, flooded eyes finally looked up to him. "And he's also your son."

Jonghyun got silent and he cannot find a counter to her statement because it was all true. He realized that being mad at Hyejin for what he have done is totally useless because in the first place, it was all his fault. From the start up to the that moment, it was all his.

Without a word, he turned around and headed to the door then Hyejin called him.

"What to do now?", she asked, helplessly.

He didn't stop walking nor even looked back at her because he knows it's just pointless for him to stay longer there, it's just suffocating his whole being. When he reached the door, he spoke. "I don't know... I'm all screwed up.", then just like that, he left.

.

.

Jonghyun sighed and messed his hair out of frustration as he was sitting at his office desk, remembering everything that had happened yesterday. He wants to hurt himself for being immature again on handling the situation, he even physically hurt Hyejin just because his mind is clouded with anger. He left her hanging and hurt. But she wasn't the one whom he is worrying about, there's someone whom he had caused more pain than Hyejin, and he cannot even do a single thing about it now.

Yerin isn't still answering her calls and he haven't attempted yet to see her again as he knows it will just hurt her more. He's completely clueless on what he should do to fix everything and he's more than a lost sheep with his current situation.

He was burying his head in his desk when the intercom beeped and SeRi, his secretary, spoke. "Sir, your friends are heading to your office now."

He stared at the intercom on his desk for moments, waiting for the information to sink in his mind and before he can even press it and respond to SeRi, the door harshly flung open, four boys coming in, in the lead of Key.

He stood up from his desk to walk up to them. Key's steps are heavy but in a rush, having his eyes leering straight to him. And before he can even speak, the moment Key came in front of him, his fist immediately crossed the distance and hit straight on Jonghyun's face.

Because of the impact, Jonghyun landed to the floor on his and elbows. He looked up to Key with a shock expression, surprised that Key actually punched him and he has never done that before. He was never the type of man who would waste his energy to physically hurt someone and he would rather fight verbally.

Jonghyun felt pain on the corner of his lips and when his finger went up to touch it, there was blood. ".", he mumbled, because of the pain. But Key heard it.

", huh?", Key was about to pick him up to make another attack when Taemin and Onew stopped him. It took two forces of men to hold him, but then there was Minho, looking down at him with judging eyes and seemed to be not wanting to stop Key.

"You! Not because we're friends, we're going to tolerate this you are doing.", Key yelled while pointing at him.

He wiped the corner of his lips and stood up from the floor. Normally, he would definitely fight back if he got hurt but now is different. He was actually thankful to Key for punching him because that was what he was wanting to do to himself, if only it's possible.

"I don't even know what I am doing.", he told them in a low voice.

Key flinched to get out of Taemin and Onew's hold, then he straightened his coat. "How could you do this hyung? All this time, you're hiding it from all of us."

"I just found out about it, too", he defended.

Minho rolled his eyes. "Who are you fooling this time? Your son is already old enough, and you're saying you just found out about it?"

Jonghyun opened his mouth to prove himself but Taemin spoke ahead of him. "It's true hyung. He wasn't aware about it before, until lately."

All the three boys looked at Taemin suspiciously, with asking eyes. Taemin lowered his head and spoke softly. "I... I was with him when he found out."

"What?", The three all spoke in chorus, surprised.

"So, all this time, you know everything?", Onew asked him in disbelief.

"And you're freaking tolerating this hyung's deed?!" Key added. Taemin just bowed his head to them, apologizing.

Key held on his head like he was having a mental breakdown. "Gosh. I can't take this anymore.", he said then glared at Jonghyun.

"You made your self a useless man for doing this.", Key said, then turned his back on him and started to walk away.

Then Minho came near him. "I seriously want to give you another punch right now but I won't waste effort anymore.", he said, then followed Key.

He was left with Taemin and Onew. He looked up at Onew helplessly and the hyung silently just stared back to him, then finally spoke.

"We already told you, right from the start, that if you hurt her, you'd be going through us. We believed that you won't be capable of doing that but now... this...".

Jonghyun bowed his head and spoke softly. "I didn't mean to... believe me hyung."

He felt Onew's hand tapping his shoulder. "I will try to. But for now, fix this. We'll talk some other time.". Jonghyun looked up at him, thankfully, before Onew also left the room.

"Hyung, I'll try to calm them down.", Taemin bowed at him. He nodded at the guy then he left, following his hyungs.

Jonghyun was left there, just staring at the door where his friends came out. He's not surprised at their reaction at all because he totally understands how much they care for Yerin as a close friend.

He then looked at his desk, which is a complete mess because of the papers he scattered there earlier because he cannot concentrate on his work. Then Key's words repeated in his mind.

"You made your self a useless man for doing this."

He was right. That was actually he was feeling right at that moment, useless. Useless that he can't even think a something good to solve the problem. Useless for hurting a lot of people: Minki, Hyejin and most of all Yerin. And useless for bringing pain to the girl he promised to take care of and protect.

With that thought, he took his coat from his chair then immediately headed out of the office. The least thing he could do is to apologize so he would do it a thousand times, if needed.

 

-----------

 

Jonghyun arrived at a photoshoot venue, following what Yerin's secretary said. He asked her secretary for her schedules for that day and he was thankful that Key hasn't arrived at their office when he came there, or else it he will surely be thrown out.

He was able to freely enter at the venue because the staffs knows him. Everybody was greeting him and he just responded with a slight nod as his eyes were busy looking around, searching for Yerin. Until, finally, his eyes spotted her with the bunch of models, discussing something. He breathed in and out first before taking the courage to walk up to her. She finally noticed his presence. Their eyes met and his heart sunk to see her still swollen eyes which she was trying to hide behind the eyeglasses that she doesn't usually wear. Her dull eyes widened a little, shocked to see him there but when she recovered she immediately retreated her stare and continued talking to the models like nothing happened.

When he got near them, the models who already knows him bowed and greeted and he greeted them back, but Yerin remained stiff on her position, having her back facing him.

"Yerin...", he called and held his hand from behind.

Yerin automatically withdraw her hands from him as she faced him and taking a step backwards.

"Who told you come here?!", she growled at him.

The people surrounding them sensed the tension between them so they excused themselves and went away.

"Yerin, please, we have to talk.", he begged trying to get near her but she would just back away as if Jonghyun is a stranger she was avoiding.

Her brows furrowed. "I don't want to talk to you. You can leave now."

"But--"

He was cut off on his sentence when Sehun, out of nowhere, appeared and got in between them. Sehun had his eyes glaring intensely at Jonghyun, and that is because he already knows what happened. Yerin actually didn't want to spread the issue but her dull aura didn't slip off from Sehun's keen sense, and him being a close friend, she told him the problem and he got seriously mad.

"She said she doesn't want talking with you, so...", Sehun said, motioning his hand to the direction on the exit.

Jonghyun's eyes stared sharply at him. He's getting all frustrated and he can't handle another someone who would interfere on his business. "You're out of this problem.", he tried to sound calm as he tried to pass by Sehun who is blocking Yerin.

But then he got harshly pushed back. "She says no, don't insist.".

Losing his patience, his eyes shot Sehun with a deadly glare. "Don't interfere!", he shouted and also pushed Sehun, twice as hard as he was pushed back earlier. And that signaled Sehun to grab him on his collar and Jonghyun tried to pushed him away from him.

"Yah!", Yerin shouted but they they were like not hearing her. The attention of the staffs around are being caught and they were panicking.

Sehun was about to land his fist on Jonghyun already when Yerin slid herself in between them and and she held Sehun arm. "STOP NOW!", she yelled at the top of her lungs that made the two pause.

She panted because she yelled to loud then she looked up to Sehun, who has soft eyes on her.

"Stop now Sehun.", she said, in a begging-like voice. Sehun slowly put his arm down, and let go of Jonghyun's collar and he took a stepped back. She then turned to face Jonghyun who is also looking softly at her, but her eyes on him was looking in an opposite manner.

"Come.", she commanded in a cold tone and walked first, not looking back. Jonghyun didn't care about the other people around, looking at them and he just followed her.

 

Yerin opened the door of an empty dressing room and walked in first, letting Jonghyun to close the door after he got in. She just leaned her lower body on a table there and she crossed her arms above her chest, while looking down on her shoes.

Jonghyun stood in front of her, hands in his pockets and he just stayed quiet while staring at a space and occasionally glancing at her. He haven't started talking yet because he is still gathering his words, thinking and weighing each of it, for him to be able to explain everything clear.

Yerin grew impatient waiting for him to talk so she finally looked up to him and he saw him staring at a space on the table she was leaning on, and looks like he's in a deep thought. It can be seen on how his brows are slightly furrowed while he biting his lower lip. Her eyes then landed on the corner of his lips where something caught her attention. She didn't notice it earlier but he has a bruise there and it still has some dried blood stains. She was sure he wasn't hit by Sehun earlier.

"What's that?", she asked in monotone.

Jonghyun looked at her. "What?", he asked back, not knowing what was she referring to. She just simply moved his finger to point at his lips, but her arms remained crossed on her chest. Jonghyun touched the part that she pointed.

"Oh this.", he smiled bitterly. "This was given by Key just this morning."

Yerin secretly bit her lips, getting what he meant. She felt worried but she didn't let it show and tried to remain cold in front of him.

She sighed. "You can start talking now. I don't have much time to listen."

Jonghyun took a deep breath and fixed his eyes straight on hers. "I'm sorry. I have said this before but I'm going to repeat. It was not my intention to have him."

She felt her heart tearing apart when he heard what he said. She was already aware of it but she still gets badly hurt everytime he hears him admitting it in front of her. She felt her eyes went warm so she looked away. "W-What else that I should know?"

Jonghyun sighed. "That girl is Hyejin...but she had never become my girlfriend. We're not even friends. Remember the girl you were talking about that caused a problem between me and Donghae?",he asked.

Her interest was caught so she slowly faced him and slightly nodded.

"That's her.", he said.

She slowly nodded her head, acknowledging what he said but she didn't say anything, wanting him to continue.

Jonghyun was being thankful that somehow, his explanations are being acknowledge but he can't completely relaxed at the moment. "We were in a party, I got drunk... I-I can't remember a thing.", he trailed off as he finished.

Here he goes again, admitting that painful happening, and that brought out all her tears that she had been trying to hold and hide. She bowed his head, not wanting to show him the continuous tears that is rolling down her face.

"H-how old is he?", she mumbled in between tiny sobs that she was trying to suppress.

Jonghyun saw how Yerin's shoulder moved up and down as she was looking down, crying, and it was a painful sight for him knowing that he was the one bringing her in that state.

"T-Three...", he answered.

Her eyes looked up at him, hearing his answer. She looked at him with disbelief but pain was more visible on her eyes. Jonghyun already understood the meaning behind her reaction. His hands went up and held both her cheeks to make her look at him.

"Listen... I swear, that happened before we became together. I haven't met you yet that time. If I already did, that could have not happened. And I was completely unaware about that incident until that day after we came back from the vacation. It was just then that I found out about everything... please believe me.", he pleaded.

She looked at her eyes and yes, there was sincerity there. But sadly, that wasn't enough to wash away the pain he had brought her. She broke the eye contact with him and detached his hands from her face.

"Why didn't you told me earlier?"

"I was afraid...", he said, looking down.

"You're afraid that's why you just chose to hurt me?", she accusingly looked at him. Jonghyun was taken aback on what she said and his response was to hold her hands but she moved it away.

"I don't know anymore...", she wiped her tears but it was just replaced by the new ones. "This is too much for me, I can't think anymore."

Jonghyun looked at her both in a worried and afraid manner. He wanted to wipe those tears on her but he knows he won't let him. "H-How about us now?", he asked even though it's against his will. He's afraid to hear her answer.

Yerin paused, staring at a space for a second and trying to stop her tears. She somehow succeeded as she wiped the last tear on her face. Then she looked at Jonghyun.

"I honestly don't know either...", she said before walking out of the room, leaving Jonghyun frozen.

She went straight to the bathroom to fix herself. She can't be working with all her staffs with that messed just-cried face she has. After freshening up, she continued with those work that she left earlier. She was inwardly waiting for Jonghyun to come out from the room she had left him and it took several minutes before she saw him walking out.

He stopped on his tracks and looked at her with pleading eyes. She doesn't want to but she broke the eye contact again and she looked away. And from the side of her eyes, she can see how Jonghyun's shoulder fell and how heavy his steps were as he walks out of the venue.

It was also hard for her but she has to think well first before she made decisions. Their situation aren't the same anymore. There are more people who will be affected, including an innocent kid, and that what made it even harder.

 

-----------

 

Today, Key, being an understanding friend, told Yerin not to come to work for a day so she can relax and have time to think about the things that had happened, and for that Yerin is very thankful to him. She seriously needs it as it was really hard to concentrate having a lot in mind.

Because she was already dressed up and on her way to work before he had been informed by Key about her day off, she just decided to head to the mall. She was wanting to be alone, locking herself in her house these past days so now, she wanted difference.

The mall was quite crowded but she didn't mind. She preferred it that way so that at least, she can feel liveliness in her surroundings. She wandered from shop to shop, looking for something interesting to buy, eating everything that she sees that looks delicious and somehow, it helped her feel a little better.

She was wandering then looking around and going with the flow of the other people there, also wandering inside the mall. She was feeling fine, until she saw a someone familiar in front of her, walking the opposite direction as hers. She doesn't know why did she even spotted that someone despite the sea of people around them. She thought maybe because that was the face she wouldn't forget even she just saw her once.

She dig in her thought what was that certain name that, she was sure, have been already mentioned to her and she remembered. Hyejin.

Her eyes was stuck on the certain girl, as they both walks nearer to each other. Hyejin's eyes finally landed on her and they widened in shock, recognizing who she was.

They both continued walking, already walking past each other. Yerin didn't really plan to talk to her but as she takes steps away, she's feeling uncomfortable. There was this feeling that she has to at least here something from her because she didn't really listened to her the last time.

She finally stopped walking and looked back. She called Hyejin which haven't gotten away yet and Hyejin slowly looked at her, as well as the little boy she was with.

"Can we talk?"

 

------------

 

The park was filled with kids who are enjoying the playground. Everybody plays well together as if they all know each other. They were all running around but her eyes were stuck on a certain boy who has a bright smile on his face. He's playing well, without any worries. Indeed, he was innocent, not knowing about the very complicated situation he was in.

Though it was heartbreaking for her to think of it, she can't deny. He is Jonghyun's son and it shows. It is just now that she had a chance to study his face and he really does resemble to Jonghyun. Dinosaur father and son.

She then looked at Hyejin who is sitting with her on a bench. She just had her head bowing since they got there. It seems like she's afraid of her.

"What's his name?", she asked, still looking at the boy.

Hyejin flinched out of shock that she suddenly talked. She looked up at her but immediately retreated and looked down again. "Minki.", she answered.

Yerin just nodded and didn't say more. There was an awkward silence and it is Hyejin that is most affected, so she finally faced her. "Y-Yerin. I'm very sorry. It is not my intention to ruin everything. I came here with Minki not knowing that you already exist in Jonghyun's life. If I knew I could have not talked to Jonghyun.", she explained continuously.

Yerin looked at her with a calm face. "If you didn't, Minki will grow up not even knowing who is his father."

Hyejin's mouth slightly parted, surprised at her calm reaction. She wasn't expecting that from her, being Jonghyun's girlfriend, to face the girl who brought a big problem to their happy relationship. She thought maybe this is why Jonghyun fell hard for her, because she is unique in a good way, and she felt a little envy towards her.

"Have you and Jonghyun already talked about what to do now?", Yerin asked.

Hyejin shook her head with a down expression. "After that day you found we haven't talked yet, he haven't visited Minki yet. He said he still needs time to think."

"So irresponsible.", she mumbled as she rolled her eyes, but Hyejin heard it.

"Aniyo. I understand him. It wasn't easy for him, specially that you fought. He really needs more time.", Hyejin said with a forced smile. "You're his main concern all the time and he doesn't want to lose you. He loves you so much.", she added.

Yerin just looked at her, unable to say anything. She wanted to be happy of what she heard, she wish she can. But unfortunately, it just hurts her more to think of it.

They were both silent for the past moments until Minki came. He went straight to his mom and hugged her, Hyejin smiled and hugged him back, and Yerin just watched them with an empty smile.

Minki then looked at her and he surprisingly recognized, despite the fact that he only saw her once, and it didn't even last long.

"Annyeonghaseyo noona.", he cutely made a polite bow in front of her. "You were the noona I saw in appa's office right?", he asked.

"Yes. I am that noona.", she smiled back to him. This time, it's a genuine and not a fake smile as she was really delighted of his brightness.

Her hands went up unknowingly to Minki's head and she caressed his soft hair as she looks at him fondly. The boy grew confused as to why she was staring at him like that but he just let her continue.

Yerin had experienced having a complete and happy family and it was really great. It's a feeling that, she believes, all kids should experience, without any exceptions. They're innocent and completely oblivious of the wrong deeds around them, so they shouldn't be the one suffering and taking all the consequences.

She can't be selfish enough to not give them the happiness they have to experience that she is capable of giving.